I can't really think of any.

I can't really think of any troubled players that mature and become stars for the team that drafted them. There are many examples of talented young players that struggled with maturity issues but eventually overcame them and became stars in the NBA. They almost always do it after a couple of stops in the NBA. Can you guys think of anybody that has turned it around and been a star for the team that drafted?

Webber, Rasheed, Zach Randolph are the main ones that come to mind in recent times as far as top talents. Iverson is arguable, yes they made it to the finals that one year, but the East was absolutely dreadful that season, and the 6'er team was a bunch of great defenders and Iverson. Iverson never truly matured, he always wanted to be "the guy" even though he was clearly not.

L

LWP777

Webber, Rasheed, Zach Randolph are the main ones that come to mind in recent times as far as top talents. Iverson is arguable, yes they made it to the finals that one year, but the East was absolutely dreadful that season, and the 6'er team was a bunch of great defenders and Iverson. Iverson never truly matured, he always wanted to be "the guy" even though he was clearly not.
All of those players bounced around the league before settling in and becoming solid players. That was the OP's point.

I can't really think of any troubled players that mature and become stars for the team that drafted them. There are many examples of talented young players that struggled with maturity issues but eventually overcame them and became stars in the NBA. They almost always do it after a couple of stops in the NBA. Can you guys think of anybody that has turned it around and been a star for the team that drafted?

Depends on what you mean by troubled players and stars? There are a lot of guys that had non-basketball related issues early in careers and went on to have success with their teams.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Name some please. I can't really think of that many.
I can't either. It seems like the truly troubled players have to bounce around before they finally - if they're lucky - find a team where they can remake themselves into what they're capable of being.

L

LWP777

Off the top of my head:
Charles Barkley
George Gervin
Derrick Coleman
Allen Iverson
Shawn Kemp
Hakeem Olajuwon
I didn't know Barkley and Hakeem were troubled early on. I actually think Kemp is a pretty good example though.

I didn't know Barkley and Hakeem were troubled early on. I actually think Kemp is a pretty good example though.
Barkley was a little bit of trouble but he also didn't reach his peak until he was with the Suns. I don't think Kemp was ever the best player on his team.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Barkley was a little bit of trouble but he also didn't reach his peak until he was with the Suns. I don't think Kemp was ever the best player on his team.
Kemp was definitely the best player on that Cavaliers team. It's just that that Cavaliers team wasn't all that good.

So you are defining star as the best on his team? Barkley was a 6 time all-star with Philly and Kemp 5 times with SEA

So you are defining star as the best on his team? Barkley was a 6 time all-star with Philly and Kemp 5 times with SEA
I guess that I am looking for an example of a player that reached his peak playing for the team that put in the effort to help him mature. Kemp or Iverson are probably the best examples.

I guess that I am looking for an example of a player that reached his peak playing for the team that put in the effort to help him mature. Kemp or Iverson are probably the best examples.

The problem is you could also say the same thing for guys that never had trouble. It's the nature of the NBA where star type players are generally drafted by the worst teams and they can leave to other teams before they peak.

Charles was a first team NBA for the 76ers from 88-91, 2nd team in 92, All star 87-92, Allstar MVP 1991. Oh was was on dream team in 1992. All before joining the suns.

This all started in his 4th year in the league. He has always credited DR. J and Moses for keeping him in check early on.

In 1991 he spit on a girl (he was aiming for another fan and was cussing him out too). In 1991 his mouth got in him trouble about Magic J getting HIV.

Upon retirement, Barkley was later quoted as stating, "I was fairly controversial, I guess, but I regret only one thing—the spitting incident. But you know what? It taught me a valuable lesson. It taught me that I was getting way too intense during the game. It let me know I wanted to win way too bad. I had to calm down. I wanted to win at all costs. Instead of playing the game the right way and respecting the game, I only thought about winning."
Sound familar? This was in his 6th year, he was 28 years old.

Legacy
Barkley at the 2010 NBA Hall of Fame induction.During his 16-year NBA career, Barkley was regarded as one of the most controversial, outspoken and dominating players in the history of basketball. His impact on the sport went beyond his rebounding titles, assists, scoring and physical play.[26] His larger than life persona and confrontational mannerisms often led to technical fouls and fines and sometimes gave rise to national controversy, such as when he was featured in ads that rejected pro athletes as role models and declared, "I am not a role model."[55] Although his words often led to controversy, according to Barkley his mouth was never the cause because it always spoke the truth.[26] He stated, "I don't create controversies. They're there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention."[4]

Besides his on-court fights with other players, he has exhibited confrontational behavior off-court. He was arrested for breaking a man's nose during a fight after a game with the Milwaukee Bucks[56] and also for throwing a man through a plate-glass window after being struck with a glass of ice.[57] Barkley continued, however, to remain popular with the fans and media because of his sense of humor and honesty.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Barkley

On a side note, maybe it's the water in Alabama.

Last edited:
The problem is you could also say the same thing for guys that never had trouble. It's the nature of the NBA where star type players are generally drafted by the worst teams and they can leave to other teams before they peak.
Not really. Kobe, Jordan, Duncan, Robinson, Stockton, Malone, Wade, etc....

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Here's a list of all of the players, who made their NBA debut in the post free-agency era (after 1976, a near-forty year span), to play their whole career with one team, that are currently in the Hall of Fame:

• Larry Bird
  • Kevin McHale
  • Isiah Thomas
  • Earvin "Magic" Johnson
  • James Worthy
  • Joe Dumars
  • John Stockton
  • David Robinson
  • Reggie Miller

[Kornheiser]That's it. That's the list.[/Kornheiser]

And, it is worth noting that only those last three played for a "small" market. I expect Bryant, Duncan, Pierce, Nowitzki and, probably, Wade, to be added to this list. After that, you might not see anybody, for a while.

Last edited:
Here's a list of all of the players, who made their NBA debut in the post free-agency era (after 1976, a near-forty year span), to play their whole career with one team, that are currently in the Hall of Fame:

• Larry Bird
  • Kevin McHale
  • Isiah Thomas
  • Earvin "Magic" Johnson
  • James Worthy
  • Joe Dumars
  • John Stockton
  • David Robinson
  • Reggie Miller

[Kornheiser]That's it. That's the list.[/Kornheiser]

And, it is worth noting that only those last three played for a "small" market. I expect Bryant, Duncan, Pierce, Nowitzki and, probably, Wade, to be added to this list. After that, you might not see anybody, for a while.
Do Kobe and Dirk count as draft being drafted then traded?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I don't recall Hakeem having any problems, but definitely Barkley. Webb had a very troubled beginning, He butted heads with Nellie from the get go. Believe me, Dennis Rodman was no angel either. Gary Payton was a problem child as well. J Will was another one that had a short fuse. He got into it with a fan at a Warriors game that was heckleling him. Does anyone remember Mad Max, who dropped kicked a basketball almost up in the upper deck at arco. My god, Cousins hasn't thrown a punch at anyone, except maybe Greene, and I can't verify that. Corliss went after another player as he was walking off the floor. Bobby Jackson got into it with McGrady. Christie threw an uppercut.

You want to know the difference between those guys and Cousins? They were all on winning teams!!!!!!!! Fans have a tendency to be more tolerant of behavior when the team is winning. But when the team is losing, well, we won't tolerate that.

I don't recall Hakeem having any problems, but definitely Barkley. Webb had a very troubled beginning, He butted heads with Nellie from the get go. Believe me, Dennis Rodman was no angel either. Gary Payton was a problem child as well. J Will was another one that had a short fuse. He got into it with a fan at a Warriors game that was heckleling him. Does anyone remember Mad Max, who dropped kicked a basketball almost up in the upper deck at arco. My god, Cousins hasn't thrown a punch at anyone, except maybe Greene, and I can't verify that. Corliss went after another player as he was walking off the floor. Bobby Jackson got into it with McGrady. Christie threw an uppercut.

You want to know the difference between those guys and Cousins? They were all on winning teams!!!!!!!! Fans have a tendency to be more tolerant of behavior when the team is winning. But when the team is losing, well, we won't tolerate that.
Agree on all those examples as well as their situations. Most of the examples also had good veterans on their teams. Hakeem was almost traded in the early 90s to to conflicts with management. He fought with them over contract issues and the team constructed. Also developed a little reputation as a cheap shot artist.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member

I don't think this is a good example. By all counts, DC was nothing but a class act on and off the court. This was an isolated incident and we all know the history behind it. He did not have a history of "bad" behavior. Strange, yes, but not bad.