How to fix George Hill

No question, George Hill has been a disappointment this year. No doubt to himself as well. I guess with the money it took to sign him, we fans expect him to be our best player. And he's not. But he's only going to be George Hill, no more and no less. So adjust your expectations, Kingsfans, or you'll continue to be frustrated.

Hill's a capable basketball player; a guy who can start if there's no one ahead of him that's clearly better than him, or a quality guy off the bench (sort of a Darren Collison in that respect). He's a combo guard because he's got the height of a PG, but the game of a SG. Fortunately he's got the wingspan of a small forward.

As a King, Hill's shooting 45% from 3, but he's only taking two 3's a game. He should be shooting 3's like Buddy shoots 3's (often and without a conscience).

He's a willing passer, but he's not a playmaker. When he and Fox are playing together, there's no playmaker in the backcourt. If I were Joerger, I would only pair him with Fox when Bogie can play the 3. As Fox becomes more of a playmaker, George can get more minutes playing with him.

Pop describes Hill as a "tenacious defender." We don't have too many backcourt players with that label - other than Temple. (Yes, Bogie's defense has been better than expected. But he's not at a level we can describe as "tenacious.") So let's find ways of utilizing our two tenacious defenders (Hill and Temple) when the other team is raining 3's on us. It happens. Too often.

I don't know how to fix Hill's personal problems. He's only indicated that those issues are back home. He has no siblings, so it's likely an issue with parents or grandparents. George passed on going to a top college so he could be home, closer to his great-grandfather. When his great-grandfather died, Hill could have moved on to a top college. But he stayed at IUPUI because he had given them his word. That should tell you something about who George Hill is.

No question, George Hill has been a disappointment this year. No doubt to himself as well. I guess with the money it took to sign him, we fans expect him to be our best player. And he's not. But he's only going to be George Hill, no more and no less. So adjust your expectations, Kingsfans, or you'll continue to be frustrated.

Hill's a capable basketball player; a guy who can start if there's no one ahead of him that's clearly better than him, or a quality guy off the bench (sort of a Darren Collison in that respect). He's a combo guard because he's got the height of a PG, but the game of a SG. Fortunately he's got the wingspan of a small forward.

As a King, Hill's shooting 45% from 3, but he's only taking two 3's a game. He should be shooting 3's like Buddy shoots 3's (often and without a conscience).

He's a willing passer, but he's not a playmaker. When he and Fox are playing together, there's no playmaker in the backcourt. If I were Joerger, I would only pair him with Fox when Bogie can play the 3. As Fox becomes more of a playmaker, George can get more minutes playing with him.

Pop describes Hill as a "tenacious defender." We don't have too many backcourt players with that label - other than Temple. (Yes, Bogie's defense has been better than expected. But he's not at a level we can describe as "tenacious.") So let's find ways of utilizing our two tenacious defenders (Hill and Temple) when the other team is raining 3's on us. It happens. Too often.

I don't know how to fix Hill's personal problems. He's only indicated that those issues are back home. He has no siblings, so it's likely an issue with parents or grandparents. George passed on going to a top college so he could be home, closer to his great-grandfather. When his great-grandfather died, Hill could have moved on to a top college. But he stayed at IUPUI because he had given them his word. That should tell you something about who George Hill is.
George Hill has quietly continued to play good defense. I like the defense Hill, Fox and Temple can apply. Like you I also think Hill should get more looks at the 3 point shot.

Just from the brief interview after the emoji tweet it is obvious the man has concerns about an issue "back home".

It is easy to heaps all the concerns and expectations on Hill or any player with a large contract. That is fine but let the man play with the same staring unit for 40 games or so and you will see a different outcome. There is being way to much passing of judgement on the Kings Players, Coaching Staff and Front Office so far this season. The team is very young except for the small group of vets and most importantly they are all new to one another. Even Pop does not build a team inside of 20 games.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
You fix George Hill by shipping him out in the offseason. I don't see him going anywhere at least for this season so in the meantime, he needs to continue to play the 2 guard position, play good defense and be more aggressive in his shot taking.

George Hill has quietly continued to play good defense. I like the defense Hill, Fox and Temple can apply. Like you I also think Hill should get more looks at the 3 point shot.

Just from the brief interview after the emoji tweet it is obvious the man has concerns about an issue "back home".

It is easy to heaps all the concerns and expectations on Hill or any player with a large contract. That is fine but let the man play with the same staring unit for 40 games or so and you will see a different outcome. There is being way to much passing of judgement on the Kings Players, Coaching Staff and Front Office so far this season. The team is very young except for the small group of vets and most importantly they are all new to one another. Even Pop does not build a team inside of 20 games.
Pop took over mid season in SA and went 17-47 to end the season (riddled with injuries). He started the next season 10-10 with a rookie named Tim Duncan, Sean Elliott, and David Robinson and had fans calling for his head.

We just need to get him more shots. Feeding ZBo on the block and WCS passing out of the high post don't get a guy like George Hill very many open shots.

People have tried saying that George Hill got his contract and has checked out but nothing that's ever been said about George Hill, mixed with his body of work, has ever alluded to him being anything other than one of the highest character guys in the league. If he's struggling, it's not because he's lazy or because he's quit. There are other reasons for it. Whether it's mental because something is going on in his personal life or if it's because the scheme they're running doesn't play to his strengths, there's something happening with the guy. At the very least, they can tweak the scheme to get him more open shots because the guy is deadly with the long ball.