Heart procedure caps roller-coaster season for Kings, Petrie

http://www.portlandtribune.com/archview.cgi?id=30118

Cut the stress? Not in the NBA
Heart procedure caps roller-coaster season for Kings, Petrie
By KERRY EGGERS The Portland Tribune

Tue, May 31, 2005

Geoff Petrie will visit Portland this weekend for the graduation of his daughter, Susanne, from Portland State. Petrie will be excited to be here, but really he’s excited to be anywhere.

On May 3, the day after Petrie’s Sacramento Kings were eliminated by Seattle in the first round of the NBA playoffs, he underwent an angioplasty to open a blocked artery. “It would’ve been nice to take a week and clear my head,” Petrie cracks. “I took two weeks and cleared my arteries.”

Petrie, 57, hardly seemed a likely candidate for the heart procedure. The Kings’ president of basketball operations is a regular jogger who exercises four or five days a week. The warning signs weren’t overly apparent.
“I wasn’t having any problems day to day,” says Petrie, a one-time guard and general manager of the Trail Blazers. “I was exercising a lot, but I wasn’t feeling right sometimes. “It sort of started all of a sudden. At first it felt like I was coming down with a chest cold. Then I thought allergies. I was still running four to five miles, though sometimes I’d have to slow down. It wasn’t the same every day.”

On May 3, Petrie decided to call his internist as he drove to work.
“I told him this is the way I had been feeling the last three to four weeks, and at some point we should probably check it out,” Petrie recalls. “He said, Better come over right now." The doctor told him it might not be anything.
“I figured I’d do the tests and be home by 7 p.m.,” Petrie says. “Instead, I was in the hospital at 5 p.m.” Petrie was out of the hospital the following morning, but he had an allergic reaction to one of the medicines.
“Got a rash everywhere,” Petrie says. “It wiped me out for five or six days. That was a lot worse than the surgery.”

After a week, Petrie returned for some half-days to work. Last week, he returned to work full time. “It’s a little bit slower time for us, anyway,” Petrie says. “If it had to happen, it came at a decent time.” The 6-5, 230-pound Petrie is back running and working out. “I feel fine,” he says. “I wasn’t feeling that bad before. I’m going to make an effort to drop 10 pounds. There’s not a whole lot in my lifestyle I can change, though, other than stress.”

The pressure’s on

There’s a little more of that in running an NBA franchise than in most jobs. Petrie’s stress level probably increased in the days following his angioplasty when it was revealed that owners Joe and Gavin Maloof had contacted Phil Jackson’s agent, Todd Mussburger, to gauge Jackson’s interest in coaching the Kings. This despite the fact that Rick Adelman, Sacramento’s coach the past seven seasons, has another year on his contract. “The only thing I have to say about Rick, he is our coach until he is not our coach,” Petrie says. “He has my full support until that changes. That’s the way it’s been with everybody I’ve ever worked with. That’s the way it is now.”
Asked if Adelman will be the coach of the Kings next season, Petrie repeated his previous comment. But he says the report about the Maloofs contacting Mussburger seems accurate. "The Maloofs said it was, so I assume it is,” Petrie says. “I haven’t talked to them a lot (since the end of the season). We haven’t even had our postseason meeting yet.”

Petrie’s blood pressure climbed a notch last week after The Sacramento Bee printed a story saying that forward Darius Songaila and guard Cuttino Mobley, who will become free agents July 1, may have played their last game for the Kings. “The tenor of that article was, those guys are gone,” Petrie says. “They’re just free agents. That doesn’t mean they’re gone. They’re exercising the right to try to get a new contract. We’ve had other free agents we’ve kept — a lot of them, actually. They both are important players for us. Free agency is treacherous, but I don’t think it’s a foregone conclusion they’re gone.”

Injuries sap strength

Sacramento notched its fifth straight 50-win season despite the loss of several key players to injury during the regular season and the midseason trade that sent Chris Webber to Philadelphia for Kenny Thomas, Corliss Williamson and Brian Skinner.

“Our regular season was very good overall,” Petrie says. “We ended up with the eighth-best record in the league despite having to deal with a lot of change and serious injuries to players. In a really competitive Western Conference, that was very good. We were all disappointed with our play in the Seattle series. We still weren’t at full strength, and we never really got control of enough of the games to give ourselves a chance.”

Is Petrie pleased with the Webber deal? “Oh yeah,” Petrie says. “We got three quality players who will help replenish our depth. They’re players who help us in different ways. We made a deal we felt going forward we needed to make. The flip side of that is, the six years Chris was here, the teams we had with him, the experiences we all had … it was a tough deal to make emotionally. He contributed an awful lot to a lot of success here, made a lot of us look smarter than we were at times. I wish him the best. I’m not about to make value judgments.”

Is the Kings’ window of opportunity for a championship closed? “When we made the (Webber trade), the window with the team we had was gone,” Petrie says. “That team’s not here anymore. Our team now is in transition. The core of this new team is going to be Mike Bibby, Peja Stojakovic, Brad Miller and whoever else we keep and add to that. I think we still have a chance to be pretty successful.”

Last edited:
G_M said:
The core of this new team is going to be Mike Bibby, Peja Stojakovic, Brad Miller
If this is indeed the "core" of this team and we just add pieces to them then we are in trouble.....

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I have already moved to the "prove it to me Geoff" camp, but if he tells us just one more time how pleased he is with having the three random bigs we got from Philly, I am going to get a bit alarmed.

This should be interesting this offseason. Geoff was the perfect GM to have for a top team -- cooly survey the landscape and make targeted acquistions while resisting the impulse to mess things up. But now we're in a different place and with different needs form our GM. For all his coolness, it was Geoff''s one burst of active vision in '99 that really created the Kings of the modren era. Can he do it again? Or was that just an aberration going against his normally ultra-conservative instincts?

Brick,

Yes, he has a challenge ahead but don't sell him short. That vision back in '99 lasted a good long time. During that time, he put pieces in to keep the team in contention.

Hasn't it been said on this board many a time in the past that he speaks without speaking. As far as the pieces he got in return, what else is he supposed to say? They will be moved or they won't be and that goes with everything else also.

G_M said:
Is Petrie pleased with the Webber deal? “Oh yeah,” Petrie says. “We got three quality players who will help replenish our depth.
Is the Kings’ window of opportunity for a championship closed? “When we made the (Webber trade), the window with the team we had was gone,” Petrie says. “That team’s not here anymore. Our team now is in transition. The core of this new team is going to be Mike Bibby, Peja Stojakovic, Brad Miller and whoever else we keep and add to that. I think we still have a chance to be pretty successful.”
wow!! it's not looking good guys and gals. "3 quality players." was he still on his meds when he said that?? i still support petrie but he can make it hard to sometimes. and what does he mean by "successful," another 50 win season and an early exit in the playoffs?:rolleyes: i love bibby,stojakovic, and miller but those guys are role players and we need to add a superstar if we ever want to get back to championship status.

whozit said:
Hasn't it been said on this board many a time in the past that he speaks without speaking. As far as the pieces he got in return, what else is he supposed to say? They will be moved or they won't be and that goes with everything else also.
Exactly, he can't say "I traded Webber to get pieces I am going to trade anyway in the offseason"? What if he were to say that they are all gone in the off season and we ended up keeping some of them.

kingsfannPDX said:
wow!! it's not looking good guys and gals. "3 quality players." was he still on his meds when he said that?? i still support petrie but he can make it hard to sometimes. and what does he mean by "successful," another 50 win season and an early exit in the playoffs?:rolleyes: i love bibby,stojakovic, and miller but those guys are role players and we need to add a superstar if we ever want to get back to championship status.
Quality is not the same as GREAT. It's hard to argue that a guy that averaged a double double two years ago and the sixth man of the year in 2002 are not "quality" players. Jury is still out on Skinner, although I thinhk he could be a quality back-up.

Also, people don't like to hear this but 50 wins in the Western conference is a something to be proud of. I'm sure no one liked how the Kings went out but to me it wasn't surprising.

Petrie is not going to show his hand. It's not his style.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Well at least somebody agrees with me that Bibby, Peja, and Brad form the core of a succesful team.

Petrie, being the cool and conservative one, is also not one to start any media flaming. Of course he said what he said, but then in a week Bibby, Peja, and Brad could all be gone. It's not like he ever said we needed to move Chris in December. I will agree that this is going to be an interesting summer, and I'm not taking anything for granted.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
GM - PLEASE remember to include a link to the site of the original story. Thanks!

------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, Geoff. I'm not happy with the players we got for Webber and if you are, then I'm going to really dread what kind of changes you have in mind for the team...

...sigh...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
hrdboild said:
Well at least somebody agrees with me that Bibby, Peja, and Brad form the core of a succesful team.
Only if you have someone like Kevin Garnett on the roster.

I just wish the kIngs could have at least got 1 or 2 of these players in exhange for Webber:

Samuel Dalembert (nice defenisve C back-up)
Kyle korver (nice back-up for cuttino or starter for this year)
Iglouda ( i have no idea how to spell his name, but great defensive player and can dunk great)

Geoff runs 5 miles a day, obviously he's in shape. He's a former professional athlete, and still his veins get clogged... supports the old adage...

Eat right,
Exercise every day,
Die anyway

Insomniacal Fan said:
Geoff runs 5 miles a day, obviously he's in shape. He's a former professional athlete, and still his veins get clogged... supports the old adage...

Eat right,
Exercise every day,
Die anyway
stress kills too

Insomniacal Fan said:

Eat right,
Exercise every day,
Die anyway
who says he eats right? it could be a case of too much red meat that clogged his arteries!?!

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I wouldn't be all that shocked if Petrie kept this unit mostly intact. Then again, you never know what he is going to do until he has done it.

I did wonder about the merit of making this post as I'm loathe to read too much into interviews such as this one, but seeing as we dont have any 'hard facts' on what moves he intends to try to make, my views on his latest comments are as follows...(i'm not adding too much to the party)

Our regular season was very good overall,....... despite having to deal with a lot of change and serious injuries to players.''

Our trade-related threads have debated some of the potential deals which might be done, but we also recognise that it may take more than one season to get the team looking the way we would wish. How that transition is managed is his job, but not necessarily within his control. (Petrie may not be able to make the changes he hopes to make for various reasons)

Is Petrie pleased with the Webber deal? “Oh yeah,” Petrie says. “We got three quality players who will help replenish our depth. They’re players who help us in different ways. We made a deal we felt going forward we needed to make.

We really cant expect him to say anything too different from this. It would have been helpful if the interviwer had asked who initiated the Webber trade. From what i've read we still dont know the answer to that.

Our team now is in transition. The core of this new team is going to be Mike Bibby, Peja Stojakovic, Brad Miller and whoever else we keep and add to that.

Fans on this site recognised the team was in transition before the Webber deal. We have also correctly indentified that the three most important players to the current line up are the three he mentions. That shouldnt be confused with a the belief that we will definately keep the current line up. But the reality is that if the 'big bang' changes are not made (for whatever reason) then those three players are likely to have the greatest influence on our season.

So, in summary, i really dont think there is anything new here and try as i might to read 'trade intention meaning' into his comments, i fail, but I do think we may need to be patient when looking for the end product we are hoping for. Of course, one of the problems is that we dont know exactly what it is we are hoping for in terms of personnel change.

What we are clear on, and i think we can believe Petrie is only too well aware of, is that we dont want to settle for being just a 'play-off' team (however, competitive the West is). It's just this interview doesnt really shed any light on how that sucess is going to be established.

Last edited:
hrdboild said:
I have always agreed with that view.

There is an old saying that holds true in every sport "A champion team is better than a team of champions"

People forget that basketball is a team sport and a well drilled team that is constructed in a way that each player complements each other and the team structure properly, is a champion team regardless of whether or not they have a superstar on it.

Bricklayer

Čarolija said:
I have always agreed with that view.

There is an old saying that holds true in every sport "A champion team is better than a team of champions"

People forget that basketball is a team sport and a well drilled team that is constructed in a way that each player complements each other and the team structure properly, is a champion team regardless of whether or not they have a superstar on it.
People forget that because its never been true at the NBA level. Works well in high school and maybe even college. Not so well once you reach the top level and the most "team" thing you can do is recognize that you have one of the 10 best players in the entire world on your team and give him the damn ball. The Spurs are a great "team". But the engine that powers that greatness is Tim Duncan. We've got the players you fill in around a Tim Duncan on this team, but you lift up the hood and there's a hampster on the wheel. The best "team" is NOT the one where nobody is really that great and therefore everybody is more or less equal. Its the one where one or more players ARE great and clearly better than their teammates, and their teammates know it and set aside their egos, while the great players recognize their responsibility to make their more limited teammates better for the good of the team.

Bricklayer said:
People forget that because its never been true at the NBA level. Works well in high school and maybe even college. Not so well once you reach the top level and the most "team" thing you can do is recognize that you have one of the 10 best players in the entire world on your team and give him the damn ball. The Spurs are a great "team". But the engine that powers that greatness is Tim Duncan. We've got the players you fill in around a Tim Duncan on this team, but you lift up the hood and there's a hampster on the wheel. The best "team" is NOT the one where nobody is really that great and therefore everybody is more or less equal. Its the one where one or more players ARE great and clearly better than their teammates, and their teammates know it and set aside their egos, while the great players recognize their responsibility to make their more limited teammates better for the good of the team.
And history will also say that a great number of superstars never won a title. Why is that?????

Malone doesn't have one. Ewing is another one. Miller in his prime was a franchise player and never got one. Drexler got one when he got on the Hakeem bandwagon. For mega star KG is he never won one and he had a pretty good team to do it last year. Barkley never got one even though he had a very good side kick in KJ. The Admiral couldn't do it until he had another superstar in Duncan (and the admiral was well past his prime) even though he had a good support cast during his prime.

There are also a great number of superstars that have never been able to do it for one reason or another. People wants KG and beleive that if they get him it would make us instant challengers. I say bulldust. KG will cost a lot more than people realize. One you pay the farm to get KG you are left with nothing so you end up with your superstar and nothing to support him with.

Pistons have done it last year because they are a team where everyone has a defined role in the team structure and each player complements each other in some way

Either a team with 2 superstars wins it or a team that is actually a "team"

Bricklayer

Čarolija said:
And history will also say that a great number of superstars never won a title. Why is that?????

Malone doesn't have one. Ewing is another one. Miller in his prime was a franchise player and never got one. Drexler got one when he got on the Hakeem bandwagon. For mega star KG is he never won one and he had a pretty good team to do it last year. Barkley never got one even though he had a very good side kick in KJ. The Admiral couldn't do it until he had another superstar in Duncan (and the admiral was well past his prime) even though he had a good support cast during his prime.

There are also a great number of superstars that have never been able to do it for one reason or another. People wants KG and beleive that if they get him it would make us instant challengers. I say bulldust. KG will cost a lot more than people realize. One you pay the farm to get KG you are left with nothing so you end up with your superstar and nothing to support him with.

Pistons have done it last year because they are a team where everyone has a defined role in the team structure and each player complements each other in some way

Either a team with 2 superstars wins it or a team that is actually a "team"
I love how the 30 year exception suddenly becomes part of the rule. Last year was a freakish year in just about every way -- and a major part of that was just about every single superstar in the league simulataneously having an off year for a variety of reasons. One great scorer (McGrady) who took off the last month of the season, numerous injuries (A.I., Webb etc.), guys squished by too much depth (Shaq, Dirk, Kobe etc. etc.). And the champion was a true oddity as well -- a good but not great team that made a big midseason trade and went on a big roll. And even so, there is the Ben Wallace factor -- as he wins more DPOY awards its clear that there is a star inspiring/powering/making everybody better on that team, but only on the side of the ball they speicalize in.

Last edited:
Čarolija said:
Malone doesn't have one. Ewing is another one. Miller in his prime was a franchise player and never got one. Drexler got one when he got on the Hakeem bandwagon. Barkley never got one even though he had a very good side kick in KJ. The Admiral couldn't do it until he had another superstar in Duncan (and the admiral was well past his prime) even though he had a good support cast during his prime.

There are also a great number of superstars that have never been able to do it for one reason or another.
Jordan & Pippen were the reason why many of those stars couldn't win. (Hakeem won during Jordan retirement 1)

Don't forget to add Stockton and Payton to the list.

Last edited:
kingsfannPDX said:
who says he eats right? it could be a case of too much red meat that clogged his arteries!?!
More proof that the Atkin's diet isn't healthy :p

I'm glad to hear that Petrie's alright... and I look forward to seeing what our great "Mastermind" has in store. And I really hope he pulls off a coup in the draft and lands us someone special.