Greg Oden?

There's pretty much a 0% chance of him coming here but I'm glad were putting our name out there and making it known we're looking to sign some guys. At least were willing to take a risk on Oden or go after guys like Iguadola than stand idle and sign the Sean May's and Mikki Moore's of the world.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
So San Antonio and Miami have mnimum contracts and playoff aspirations to offer. We have a potential starring role (with apologies to Carl Landry) if he gets healthy and a bigger chunk of salary cap to work with. You already know I'd do it, but I've been calling for a Greg Oden acquisition for years so that's no surprise. Oden and Mbah A Moute is a duo that makes a statement defensively, no doubt about that. Now if only we can flip Vasquez for a competent defender, we'd be in business.

well, Bynum did essentially get a one-year 6M$ contract (incentives get him to 12M, team option on the second year), so maybe could get something along the lines of 2-3M$ guaranteed plus incentives to make it 6M$ if he plays 60+ games and meets some performance benchmarks or something. this needn't be any big risk and if he wants to reestablish himself, we are in a much better position to help him do so than SA or MIA are.

According to a source with direct knowledge of the situation, the Miami HEAT, San Antonio Spurs and Sacramento Kings are the teams with strong interest in adding Oden to their rotation for next season.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/heat-kings-and-spurs-in-play-for-greg-oden

I saw Jason Jones re-tweeting this

I would be down with this for sure on a short term deal. We also have the most cap space of the three teams mentioned if we amnesty Salmons by Wednesday. Might give us an advantage if Oden is looking for the most money in case it all goes pear shaped again. High risk/high reward, but on a short term deal (maybe with a team option), it's not so big a risk. The payoff would be much greater than the risk if he can stay healthy, which admittedly is probably a long shot.

I support this move. We have nothing to lose and neither does he if he were to sign with us. If we do sign him it pretty much guarantees someone is going to get moved from our front court. Make it happen PDA!

Meeting already scheduled for this week!

http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm
I support this move as well.
But I don't want him to play next to DMC right away.
He backs up DMC and plays 10 mins a game.

If he's knees hold for the regular season, then he'll pair with DMC if ever we get to the playoffs. :D

With that, I hope the Kings offer him 15M for 3 seasons, with 3M guaranteed for the first season, for 5M as team option on the second, and 7M team option for 3rd season.
3M is what we're paying Outlaw so that's where I start. :D

I support this move as well.
But I don't want him to play next to DMC right away.
He backs up DMC and plays 10 mins a game.

If he's knees hold for the regular season, then he'll pair with DMC if ever we get to the playoffs. :D

With that, I hope the Kings offer him 15M for 3 seasons, with 3M guaranteed for the first season, for 5M as team option on the second, and 7M team option for 3rd season.
That sounds like a reasonable offer to me, although there is one aspect I slightly disagree with. I would start Oden off small and see how his knees respond. If the basketball gods smile upon us and everything turns out ok, increase his minutes and towards the later 1/3 of the season, I would have him start next to Cousins. Especially if we are even close to sniffing the playoffs, which I doubt.

Are there any articles/news out there about Oden's current condition? I've heard lots about interested teams, but nothing about his current health.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Are there any articles/news out there about Oden's current condition? I've heard lots about interested teams, but nothing about his current health.
Who knows. He's ruined and everybody knows it, so I don't even see how it would be possible for him to "pass" a physical. Its just a question of whether you want to take the risk he can give you a few minutes without breaking again.

Who knows. He's ruined and everybody knows it, so I don't even see how it would be possible for him to "pass" a physical. Its just a question of whether you want to take the risk he can give you a few minutes without breaking again.
I doubt a team is going to sign him without thorough info.

Would be pretty funny if that wasn't the case though; Oden signs contract, takes off prosthetic leg revealing broom handle. MWP bursts into room with a microphone "you've been Sampsoned!" to Pete'D.

I doubt a team is going to sign him without thorough info.

Would be pretty funny if that wasn't the case though; Oden signs contract, takes off prosthetic leg revealing broom handle. MWP bursts into room with a microphone "you've been Sampsoned!" to Pete'D.
hey, at least they won't break as easy

I don't think this is even possible in the nba. Raises are locked in according to cba, you can't just back load however you see fit.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Article just came out that three teams are strongly after him.

The Heat.

The Spurs.

...and us.

Wonder what our pitch will be? :p

Still, longshot or not, I would like to take it. You'd be crazy to get your hopes up with him, but he'd be a point of interest and an x factor to support all kinds of wild "what if" dreams. You'd then have the two most talented centers drafted in the past 8 years on the roster.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Article just came out that three teams are strongly after him.

The Heat.

The Spurs.

...and us.

Wonder what our pitch will be? :p

Still, longshot or not, I would like to take it. You'd be crazy to get your hopes up with him, but he'd be a point of interest and an x factor to support all kinds of wild "what if" dreams. You'd then have the two most talented centers drafted in the past 8 years on the roster.
Well it might sound like this: "Greg, PDA here. How would you like to make MORE than vet min? I heard that you would like to show the NBA what you can do. I KNOW we can play you in fact we might even give you 10 min or more a game. What's that? you want a ring? well you could try to earn one here... Greg you still there...Greg?"

Well it might sound like this: "Greg, PDA here. How would you like to make MORE than vet min? I heard that you would like to show the NBA what you can do. I KNOW we can play you in fact we might even give you 10 min or more a game. What's that? you want a ring? well you could try to earn one here... Greg you still there...Greg?"
Lol... "Greg I can promise you lots of action here with the Kings. With our terrible defense on the perimeter you can rest assured knowing you'll always be in on the action having to help on guards getting into the lane on every possession!"

Oden was one of the most talented big man drafted in the past 10 years. If he stayed healthy there would not be the slightest chance, that he thinks about signing with the Kings. If we can pick up Oden relatively cheap, the deal might be a gamble, but it is a worthy one. Basically it is a no-brainer for the Kings. If Oden can stay healthy the Kings can reach the playoffs. If he fails once again, the Kings wont lose too much, if they sign him on a short term deal.
I hope we can beat the Mavs and Spurs this time.

Oden was one of the most talented big man drafted in the past 10 years. If he stayed healthy there would not be the slightest chance, that he thinks about signing with the Kings. If we can pick up Oden relatively cheap, the deal might be a gamble, but it is a worthy one. Basically it is a no-brainer for the Kings. If Oden can stay healthy the Kings can reach the playoffs. If he fails once again, the Kings wont lose too much, if they sign him on a short term deal.
I hope we can beat the Mavs and Spurs this time.
dont forget pelicans. they seem to be one step ahead of us in fa and are willing to pay up to 3 million the first year. the heat were also talking to him and can spend around that much with their tax payers mle and are a contender. seems like we're a long shot unless we overpay. i was thinking around 3 mil was good enough but seems like other teams can pay that same amount

How about: "Hey, you know we probably won't make the finals... do you really want to, anyway? First season back, I mean... How would you feel being the next Tiago Splitter or Mike Miller? You don't want to go out as a punchline in the finals, do you? Nah, of course you don't. Sign with us, we've already got Travis Outlaw. You're good."

So, we will be one of three teams who will watch Oden workout.

Greg Oden will host three teams this week as the former No. 1 overall pick nears a decision on where he'll launch his NBA comeback, according to sources with knowledge of the free agent center's plans. Sources told ESPN.com on Monday that the Miami Heat, New Orleans Pelicans and Sacramento Kings will all send representatives this week to watch Oden work out in person.

Sounds like now it will just be us and the Pelicans.
Yep. Not sure if that means the Heat are going to stop pursuing him, but they won't be at the workout.

@SpearsNBAYahoo: Just Kings & Pelicans scheduled to watch injury-riddled free agent C Greg Oden workout & rehab in hometown of Indy Tuesday, source tells Y!