[Grades] Grades v. Mavs 11/11/2014

Leave everything else the same, what one change wins us this game?

• The refs

Votes: 9 13.2%
  • Darren Collison

Votes: 30 44.1%
  • Cuz not in foul trouble

Votes: 29 42.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
The good news: tonght marks a return for the Grading Consortium. I am calling it Grading Consortium 2.0.
Thus far Grading Consortium 2.0 is:
Bricklayer
Capt. Factorial
Bajaden
MassacheusettsKingsFan
Kingston Jamaica
Cruzdude
Hadlowe
and eventually Uncia03

The bad news: virtually everything else.

P.S. I am careful never to call for direct violence against somebody online, so I will content myself with saying I hope, sincerely hope, that ruination falls upon the houses of that ref crew. They completely dictated the flow and perhaps even to a significant degree the outcome of this game with a ridiculous touch foul whistle parade before half that quite literally saw 4 of our 6 frontcourt players with 3 fouls, and the other 2 with 2 fouls. That's 16 fouls called on our bigs in their 48min of combined action in the first half. Think about that. May their pets run away from home, their gardens wither up and blow away in the wind, and their cable service be crappy.

P.P.S. If you would like to see the effect of 1) building a team with only 1 PG, and 3 players who can create for others; and 2) having that PG missing and 1 of the remaining 2 players who can create for others not allowed to play by the refs who I hope spill coffee on their best Sunday suits, here it is:

Our two starting guards combined for 0 assists in 75min.
Ben McLemore 39min 0ast
Ramon Sessions 36min 0ast

Our entire guardline combined for 2 assists in 96min.
Ben McLemore 39min 0ast
Ray McCallum 12min 1ast
Nik Stauskas 9min 1ast

Our entire lineup outside of Cuz (a C) and Rudy (a SF) combined for 4 assists in 172min.
Ben McLemore 39min 0ast
Ray McCallum 12min 1ast
Nik Stauskas 9min 1ast
Jason Thompson 13min 1ast
Carl Landry 28min 0ast
Reggie Evans 14min 0ast
Omri Casspi 14min 1ast
Derrick Williams 1min 0ast
Ryan Hollins 6min 0ast

Oh, and Cuz and Gay having to try to do too much, then notched 13ast...and 12TO.

NOTE: the Grading Consortiuum is actively recruiting a new squad of graders for this season. And grading wins is more fun than grading losses. Give us a nudge If interested.

Boxscore

Stats: 39min 26pts (7-14, 1-3, 11-13) 8reb 8ast 2stl 0blk 7TO
Gay ( B ) -- Like most of the Kings tonight, Rudy Gay was really good in the first quarter. He had a big hand in getting the Mavericks into foul trouble (and would continue getting to the line all night), and poured in a few tough mid range jumpers as he’s known to do. He also set up two of McLemore’s first half 3’s, fed Cousins for a nice layup, and was generally doing a good job moving the ball around. As momentum was going back to the Mavericks in the 2nd quarter, Gay did a solid job of holding the offense together while Cousins was in foul trouble. It wasn’t pretty, and there were forced shots, but he answered a few big Mavs buckets. This included a deep three right after Dirk hit a three to bring the Kings lead back to 9 right before halftime. After the half, it was mostly downhill. Cousins couldn’t stay on the floor, and the Kings offense turned into the Rudy Gay show. That’s where most of his 7 turnovers took place. Do we blame Rudy for his ballhoggery, or the Kings offense for a lack of creativity? I don’t know. It felt like a pretty respectable performance from Gay overall, but serves as evidence that he cannot do it himself, and he never could. This team runs on DeMarcus Cousins, and if he’s not on the court, the Kings are going to struggle. I wouldn’t say Gay was a problem on defense tonight, either. Chandler Parsons hit fair share of threes, but a lot of those came off of total team defensive breakdowns, and Parsons was basically chucking threes every time he touched the ball. Games like tonight are always tough to grade because the team goes from playing their A game to F game in a matter of minutes. This felt like a solid B to me, as Rudy was the one of the few Kings who managed to stay out of foul trouble, and did a decent job holding the offense together for as long as he possibly could.--Mass

Stats: 13min 0pts (0-3, 0-1, 0-2) 4reb 1ast 0stl 0blk 1TO
Thompson ( F ) -- I almost gave JT a D- because he only played 12 minutes, which borders on an INC. However, had he played better, he would have played more, so the onus is on him. He wasn't one minute into the game and he fouled Nowitzki. He liked it so much that he did it again a minute and a half later, and happily headed to the bench, not to be seen again until the 4:55 mark of the 2nd quarter. He topped of the half by getting fouled and missing both free throws. JT got the second half off to a good start by missing an 18 footer. The cherry on top the cake for me was when he just stood and watched Nelson stroll past him to the basket. Nelson missed, but Chandler tipped it in. Shortly thereafter, he was on the bench and his night was over. I suspect that he and Williams must have eaten the same thing. All in all, a dreadful night for Thompson.
--Baja

Stats: 30min 16pts (7-13, 0-0, 2-2) 11reb 5ast 0stl 0blk 5TO
Cousins ( C ) -- what to do with this? This was a game defined not by Cousins' game oncourt, but by how much enforced time he spent off of it. Cuz is leading the league in fouls again at an astounding 4.9 per game in only 30min per, a pace for 7.7 per 48. He's not the only top center with a beef with the refs, Howard and Drummond have been screwed too, but nobody else is as absolutely critical to his team's fortunes (more on that on a thread I will start once these grades are done). And so you had Cuz playing a very good smooth first quarter in which he quickly chased Chandler from the game took several excellent charges (and risky ones given that he had already been given one of JT's fouls to start the game), was strong on the glass, and was battling around Mavs reserves Greg Smith like a chew toy. he added a brilliant pass to a cutting Sessions as we were blowing them out, and then, just when I was thinking "coach, might want to get him out of there before that second foul", boom, there it came when he went up to block a shot at the 3min mark. That was a pretty close call too -- I would say bad but I didn't get a replay of whether he hit his wrist or not. Anyway, its the game within the game for these Kings. By far the most critical play in any Kings game now is a Cousins foul. You would rather the other team hit back to back threes and Stauskas dribble the ball off his foot in between than to see the big guy pick up another foul. Well Cuz did, and it set up our collapse. He got back in in the 2nd, and too quickly got whistled for his 3rd, and the team which was already beginning to sputter then quickly kicked into a full fledged death spiral as Boogie only got 11min of first half action. The huge lead evaporated, the offense stalled, and the wonderful zebras went on a ridiculous whistle spree, which included the revelation that Dirk Nowitzki is made of glass and cannot be touched on his old age, especially not when I am reffing a game where Dirk might get to establish a historical record. The third quarter was the tipper here, and why despite playing a pretty good game while he was out there I had to knock this grade way down. The third quarter was more about him, and the team, than it was the refs. The lead was largely gone, the rest of the team was struggling, Ben's hot streak was over, and in a repeating pattern nobody was able to get Cuz the ball, and he started getting frustrated, started forcing and getting agitated. And if his first three fouls had been weak little things that may or may not have been right, he got his money's worth on his 4th, giving Chandler a Shaq bump so hard that even Chandler's flop looked natural. And so he was gone, and Rudy was left out there alone with...well pretty much nothing. Sessions looking for himself. Ben long gone. PFs who were mentally out to lunch. By the time Cuz got back to start the 4th we were well behind, and he was still not happy. But the thing was, despite a scruffy beginning, it was Cuz scruffy, not aieee! aieee! we're all gonna die scruffy. He comes back, and suddenly the bleeding stops. The entire team was too mentally out of it to make a real run, but the big guy was making enough plays that we hung in and matched them throughout the quarter while he had 8-10pts, 5-6reb and several assists, including one to Ben to get him his first points since the first quarter I think on a backdoor cut. He played well, when he was out there. And one more note on the refs: they faked this. Cuz played 17min, and THEN with the game ruined they let him play the 4th despite several things they would have called fouls in the first half. So he gets to play down the stretch, gets to have his 29-30min in the box score. But he's not able to be on the floor through the heart of the game when it matters. --Brick

Stats: 39min 17pts (6-12, 4-8, 1-1) 4reb 0ast 1stl 1blk 1TO
McLemore ( A- ) -- Ben came into this game in an upward trend and kept it going. He started the first quarter with a real smooth flow in shooting and being very active in defense. In fact Ellis got nothing going in the first half and Devin Harris was not having it easy either thanks to Bens efforts and good backup defense from Cousins. Monta Ellis and Devin Harris are two of the fastest SGs in the league and usually score heavily. Ben Mac was playing an A game in the first half, and his draining four three pointers in our early rush was a big part of why everything looked good early, but somehow disappeared in the third quarter almost reducing his score to B+. However, considering that he had his seasons best performance in scoring and with a good clip (50% FG and 3pt) in addition to the fact that he kept Ellis below his average in scoring and shooting % as well as Harris below his PPM (points per minute), he was contributing his part in a very convincing way. He played a very mature game with rebounds, steal and a block to go with his good stats line.--Kingston

Stats: 36min 18pts (6-9, 2-3, 4-5) 3reb 0ast 0stl 0blk 1TO
Sessions ( D+ ) -- Ramon Sessions is what he is - a score-first point guard. Things started out with a bit of creation for his teammates, but after drive-and-kicks on the first two possessions, Sessions settled in to swinging the ball around the perimeter and basically stuck with that for the rest of the evening. I did count seven entries to Cousins in the post (five in the first quarter), but he only set up four shots in the entire game and he had ZERO ASSISTS because not a single one of those went in - including a very nice pass to Landry who was unable to finish in traffic despite deep post position. Starting in the second quarter, the Mavericks decided to apply pressure on Sessions instead of giving up the game, and consistently were able to stifle Ramon into having to give up the ball before he even got across the timeline. From a scoring standpoint, Ramon did a very good job tonight. Late in the first quarter he came screaming down an open lane and caught a nice pass from Cousins for a two-handed flush that I'm not sure any of us thought he had in him. And while the third quarter was a massive debacle, Sessions was perhaps the only thing keeping it from being...what's worse than a massive debacle?...by being the only Kings player to score in the first seven+ minutes of the half. He scored ten before Rudy finally got one to fall, but then he took an amazingly bad and completely inexplicable fading 8-foot jumper that he tried to kiss off the glass instead of going directly to an open hoop, leading to a Mavericks fast break which put them up 3. It never got better, and Sessions only got one more point in the remainder of the game. Defensively, Sessions wasn't the problem, but he wasn't the solution either. I'm pretty sure that it wasn't Sessions that was leaving Parsons and Nowitzki wide open. He had trouble staying in front of the Mavs guards, particularly Barea, and this resulted in a lot of drive-and-kicks and a few wide open shots from the perimeter - although I will excuse Barea's three as Ramon was actually guarding Barea on the weak side until he was forced to go challenge Dirk, who received the ball at the top of the circle completely unguarded. So to sum up, good scoring, poor but not awful defense, and terrible PG play. The scoring saves him, but only barely - you get a plus on that D, Ramon! --Capt.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Bench

Stats: 28min 11pts (3-10, 0-0, 5-6) 3reb 0ast 1stl 0blk 1TO
Landry ( C- ) -- Carl had the unenviable task of guarding Dirk Nowitzki most of his time in the game or the long arm leaper, Brandan Wright. JT got two quick fouls at the 9:30 mark causing Landry's earliest entry into a game this year. He stayed on Dirk constantly not allowing him a single point in the entire first quarter. Then again the Mavs were stone cold and by the 3:19 point Kings were up 24-4! Carl managed a semi-hook in the lane and a base line jumper that both were off a bit but made all his FT. When Dirk sat in the first Carl then went on Brandan Wright, a long arm PF with hops who managed 6 pts in 7 min. Carl then started the 2nd quarter making a couple of scores getting banged in the process at 8:09 mark and losing his cool for a quick technical then gets offensive foul still a bit heated. Doesn't allow Nowitzki his first FG until the 6:50 mark of the 2nd. Replaced by DWill at who promptly gets 3 fouls in one minute!! Becomes lost in the crowd of Mavs (and Dirk) scoring at will in third as Nowitzki begins shooting and making most shots over Carl while he has big trouble making shots vs. taller Mavs. Carl stays with his man majority of times but his D goes away as Mavs go on their big run in 3rd. Ends up shooting 3/10 and getting replaced by Omri for rest of game. Grade plus was his Defense on Nowitzki in first half but downgraded for only 3 reb and 11 pts in 28 min of playing time. --Cruz

Stats: 14min 1pt (0-1, 0-0, 1-2) 6reb 0ast 0stl 0blk 0TO
Evans ( D- ) --Evans is a good rebounder and a serviceable thug, but he is bad at everything else involving a basketball. The Mavericks scored 14 points in the first quarter, and six of those came from Reggie cheating down into the lane early and leaving his man a backdoor scoring opportunity (colloquially known as the "Kevin Love"). He did grab some rebounds in his fourteen minutes to save this from being an F, but otherwise was just a terrible all-around game. --Hadlowe

Stats: 12min 3pts (1-5, 1-2, 0-0) 1reb 1ast 0stl 0blk 1TO
McCallum ( C ) -- In the late first quarter, McCallum came in for a six-minute stint and did a very good job of staying in front of the pesky J.J. Barea, though he was forced to foul Barea once on a drive. He managed one assist (the ONLY assist for a Kings PG tonight) on a drive-and-dish to Landry for a layup but outside of that was not terribly effective in running the offense - it's not that he was bad, but he just didn't get anybody easy shots. Ray's stint in the second half was practically invisible. Outside of taking a smart foul to give with 1.3 left (turned out that the Mavericks just hit a three on the inbounds anyway) I didn't even write down a note. Some of that was me being shellshocked but mostly it was because Ray was hardly involved. He had a poor shooting line on the night (1-5) but two of those misses were buzzer-beaters, so it really wasn't all that bad. It was a quiet night, but he wasn't getting burned and he only turned it over once, so he seems to deserve a middling grade. --Capt

Stats: 14min 6pts (2-3, 1-1, 1-1) 3reb 1ast 0stl 0blk 2TO
Casspi ( C ) -- Casspi was OK tonight. I actually thought Michael Malone could have played him more (with Gay at the 4) considering how poor Ryan Hollins and Derrick Williams looked in their limited minutes. Casspi’s only memorable plays included a very generous And1 in the first half when he drew a foul and then took a jumper that he banked off the backboard. He also hit a three in the 4th quarter that could have potentially sparked a run, but it didn’t. His impact was minimal tonight, but I would have liked to see him play more than 14 minutes.--Mass

Stats: 9min 0pts (0-1, 0-1, 0-0) 0reb 1ast 0stl 0blk 0TO
Stauskas ( C- ) -- Nic played a fairly anemic game. With the minutes he got you can’t ask for very much. I think he made a good decision when he passed the ball to McCallum for three when he could have attempted to shoot himself. He got his 3 pt attempt in the 4th quarter, but was not able to capitalize on it. Stauskas has still a way to go to get used to the speed of the NBA. He clearly struggles to stay in front of his man in D, but I’m sure that he will learn it. Let’s keep in mind that he has good basics in shooting. He now needs to find his confidence and comfort zone to make his 3-pointer sink. --Kingston

Stats: 1min 0pts (0-1, 0-0, 0-0) 0reb 0ast 0stl 0blk 0TO
Williams ( F ) -- Yes, I’m giving Derrick an F for one minute of game time. Williams came in in the second quarter, committed three fouls and took a bad jumper. In one minute. Malone quickly yanked him and Williams chuckled on his way to the bench. He wasn’t ready to play. This was as pathetic as it sounds. It might have been the worst one-minute stretch of basketball I have ever seen.--Mass

Stats: 6min 0pts (0-0, 0-0, 0-0) 0reb 0ast 1stl 0blk 1TO
Hollins ( INC ) -- was finally, and very reluctantly for some reason, brought in by Malone, who had to screw around with a ridiculous and disastrous attempt at having DWill guard Dirk before he looked way down to the end of the bench for Hollins. And Hollins minutes...did not go well. But I think to be fair, he was in a tough spot. I absolutel 100% do not think the first half was referee'd correctly, and the refs changed the whole tone of this game by making it physically impossible to play defense. A change which dramtically favored the Mavs btw. Let's be kind and say that was an unintentional side benefit. in any case, here's how bad the touch foul calls were: Ryan Hollins was having to run around out there chasing Dirk with his hands thrown back at chest height like a schoolgirl who had just seen a furry spider. If he stuck them up, he knew he could be called for a foul. If he reached out to touch Dirk, the refs were apparently afraid Dirk would squeak, and so they would call a foul. So Hollins ran around the court looking like he was pretending to be a duck just trying to stay between Dirk and the hoop without another whistle being called. Ironically on the only good play he made during his minutes he coudln;t slow down in time, body bumped Dirk hard enough to knock him down (but with his hands still in duck position so the refs did not call a foul) and then was able to dive down and get the steal.--Brick

Last edited:
May their... cable service be crappy.
You monster :eek:

But, the lack of playmaking outside of Cousins and Gay is well noted on this roster. Personally, I'm still holding out for a Josh Smith trade. Smith, if his shot selection can be reigned in, is another guy you can run your offense through. We are still getting zero from our starting PF, and Smith's problem is that he's taking too many shots. Take away the shots and you get his defense and passing that JT simply does not.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
These complains about the refs need to be put to rest. These last two games hurt...a lot, they were both winnable. That being said, the team needs Darren out there, he is the vet with the playoff experience and composure to keep the guys in check. Also, can't have 10 turnovers or so from your top two guys...need to take care of the ball better, the Kings excel at a half court game now.

This game showed the state of the team right now, when things are going for us we look really good, we play with energy, we share the ball, we play as a unit on defense. When adversity hits we start panicking, the ball starts sticking, energy goes down. We are improved but at the end of the day we were a 28 win team last year and we are learning how to break bad habits. Theres no way we go from 28 wins to a 60 win pace. If we are fighting for the playoffs at the end it should be considered a success considering the holes that remain on the roster.

It probably deserves own thread but I think Kings should start Reggie Evans at PF and permanently displace Jason Thompson to main backup for Big Cuz. Landry backup to Evans because we do need his scoring and toughness off the bench. JT has had his moments as long-time starter but too often disappears in endless frustration. Evans rarely disappears, rarely seems frustrated when in his role, and does most of the things JT does - but arguably better. Evans won't be given the ball nearly as often as starter that occurs inexplicably with 2nd unit. It seems likely he will be able to keep Cousins from having to exert max energy rebounding and on interior defense. Thus operating in tandem hopefully keep all those momentum killing fouls under control. It's a very long season and Kings need Big Cuz not to wear down trying to do so much of everything all the time with constant banging on the inside. Evans is definitely one dimensional but what that consists of seems more valuable to Kings and Cuz than continuing the joy ride with Mr. Frustrated Inconsistent. Oh, and who now jumps center? Anybody but JT would probably work better.

I think our other SG needs to step it up a little. Right now, Nik is unable to tribute on either side of the floor. I think there's a reason why Hollins signed with us.. I like his vet presence, but he's not much of a factor in games. Sessions actually did a respectable job on offense, but was a little meh on defense. You can't blame him for having 0asts... it's not his fault that he gives the ball to Rudy, and no one ever sees it again.

Rudy and Cuz's stats are misleading. They both had bad games. I put part of the blame on Malone for having Gay play PointForward with Sessions, McLemore, Hollins, and Evans. Rudy was our PG. Hence the 8 assists. His defense was terrible. He left Parsons wide open so many times at the 3pt line... Parsons went 5-11 from 3pt land. That's unacceptable along with his 7tos. Cousins needs to learn that he hurts the team by not being on the floor. Who cares about the refs? If he's not on the floor, he's hurting us. They went on their huge run when Cuz was off the floor. If Cuz wants to be a leader, he has to lead us. By Cuz being in foul trouble, it forces Rudy to be the #1 option. That is never good for any team.

I have no clue what happened to JTs offense. He used to be a solid offensive player for us, but we can't even depend on him to make a FT. Landry struggled against their bigs. He just had a bad night, and the lack of calls from the refs didn't help when he was getting hacked down low.

I'm starting to have a fear that Cuz will struggle against guys who are bigger than him. Who the hell knows how he even went 7-13 tonight.... Here's one observation I've noticed from the last 3 games

Malone is having Cousins all the way out at the 3pt line setting screens for his guards. This is what we saw JT do the first 5 games. However, now Malone is having JT down low while Cuz is setting high screens. I understand Malone wants to try different things with PnR, but why not stick to what was working? Seeing Cuz all the way at the 3pt line on offense is uneasy. I'm a little frustrated with our team right now. We've lost 2 winnable games. I think we all know that the Kings are better than that. Cuz will struggle tremendously against the Grizz. I'm not looking forward to that game. My rant is complete. A lot of it might sound a little jiberish...Good night all! Next game will be a tough one

Thompson has been plain bad these last 2 games. His offense has been bad all year, so he should really just try to stay out of the way and focus on defense. But the last 2 games he just hasn't looked engaged. There was one play where he literally just stood and watched Jameer Nelson drive to the paint resulting in a dunk for one of the Dallas bench bigs

IMO the turn around point in the game was when the Kings players started whining and complaining to the refs. We had a 20 something point lead and our players decided it's time start complaining. From that point on the game went downhill. This is going to be a problem until some things change. I would post this somewhere where everyone can see it.

Surrender to the officiating. There is nothing that you can do about it. Concentrate the next right thing. Focus on what you CAN do and do that.

Until this team can change this mind set, they're success will be limited.

This game was hard to take as a fan. But it can be fixed. Just do the right things and success will come.

I'm seriously starting to doubt the Stauskas pick. He is completely unserviceable at the moment. Doesn't make his shots and his defense has been pretty bad in the last couple of games. 31% from the field. 24% from the 3. I hope he'll figure things out soon. He just looks lost at the moment.

Well for a 1.25 quarters I was in Hog Heaven. Then the fact that Collison was not in the game suddenly became all to apparent. The whole thing fell apart like an IKEA clothes rack built by 5 year olds.

Derrick Williams is an embarrassment. What a waste of playing time.
Sessions showed why he has moved around the league so much. Even when he's scoring, his team is losing.
Cousins still has the NBA refs pissed off at him. Gonna take a while to gain any respect from the zebras. We cant play effectively when he aint on the floor
Gay did what he could but it was a one man show that fell apart in the 4th
I am pleasantly surprised by BMAC. His offense is starting to come around. Hopefully not at the expense of his defense.
Did JT even suit up tonight? I think I saw him getting torched a few times but I may have to rewatch the game to see if he even played. Nonexistant.
Casspi was energetic but not all that effective.
Nik is actually looking worse not better. Not a good sign. His defense looked good one possession, then terrible the next. His shooting is actually getting less reliable.
Ryan Hollins is like one of those Drug Store Indians that has a handful of cigars. Stiff and lifeless. Almost totally useless.

Life on the road in the NBA is no joke. They went into Dallas will good intentions. But those intentions quickly dried up and the team reverted into what it was last year. A non trusting non assist, non passing team that gets stomped. Consistency is difficult. They need to regroup and do it again against an even tougher matchup in Memphis. The Grizz aint no joke either. I think this roadtrip has made it quite clear that we have no NBA Caliber Power Forward and no backup PG to rely on if Collison goes down. Sessions looked like a really short 2 guard. This team is not a finished product. Still need more pieces to finish the job. A starting PF would be a good start.

p.s. say what you will but it felt like the Ref's decided in the 2nd qtr that the score was too lopsided and needed to help the Mavs a bit to make it fair... im just saying....

Last edited:
K

KingMilz

Refs had zero to do with that lose, the game had to many fouls both ways, we had to many go our way at the start and they evened it up. The game was lost when DMC had to sit in the 2nd quarter which meant when he came back in(frustrated) he had no intentions of passing the ball or getting back on D (which lead to multiple 3 point bombs) in the 3rd where the Mavs (who have a surplus of firepower) blew us apart. To me that loss is 100% on DMC if he does not commit those fouls and stays in the game (which he was completely dominating at the start) we easily win this game by 15. Than it became Keith Smart iso ball and Dallas just zipped up the body-bag.

Mclemore showing he actually might be worth the wait which is a real positive he was terrific on D until the Mavs in general all went berserk.

There is no way we should have lost that game but hey at least we were up on a stacked Dallas team by 20 something I guess we just are not smart enough yet to finish the job. I rather us losing by not playing "smarter' than playing lazy like we did against OKC.

Derrick Williams also wtf is he doing playing at all anymore, could we not have put Casspi on Dirk or in fact anyone else on the roster. The amount of wide open looks Dirk got was beyond alarming in general.

The team has it. You could see in the first quarter when Dallas had very few answers to what was going on. The danger in that is that you get relaxed. That's something that a more experienced team knows to handle. The Kings stopped defending the way they did in the first quarter and Dallas experience took over. They didn't panic and started to claw back in again. I'm confident that the Kings young team will learn to handle that kind of situations.

The other problem is that every team knows by now that the team plays the ball to DMC or Gay. That makes their defense so much easier. When Ben Mac was shooting the lights out in the first quarter, Dallas was clearly uncomfortable. That was unexpected and outside their game plan. If Ben Mac keeps this up his shooting and Nic starts to hit his shots (and maybe even Casspi from 3 pt), DMC will have much easier possibilities to score.

I'm seriously starting to doubt the Stauskas pick. He is completely unserviceable at the moment. Doesn't make his shots and his defense has been pretty bad in the last couple of games. 31% from the field. 24% from the 3. I hope he'll figure things out soon. He just looks lost at the moment.
Come on man 8 games in I thought we would learn by now seeing Ben develop that these guys are rookies give them time.

No, I'm not giving up on him. But we all thought that he'd be more NBA ready than McLemore was last year.
He is more NBA ready than Ben was last year. He's getting far fewer touches/ plays drawn for him than Ben was. Defensively he's also been decent as far as rotations go. In short, he doesn't look as confused as Ben did, and has also had less of an opportunity to take and make shots. In this game there was a play where he pump faked on the 3 point line, drove in and then swung the ball to a wide open Ray McCallum. Ben wouldn't have made that play last season.

He's extremely savvy on the offensive end for a rookie IMO problem is the other end, and with a coach like Malone he'll get a short rope, especially when (this year) there are actually other options sitting right there.

Hadn't watched the Kings this season. But had noted the impressive record coming into this game. Was impressed with the Kings play in the first quarter. Looked like a disciplined unselfish team. I thought "wow". Didn't expect that. Ben McLemore no longer was a clueless bricker. But was moving and nailing shots. Cuz was playing great, unselfish, not letting his negative petty emotions take over.

And then of course it all blew up and it was the Kings I had become so accustomed to. Whining, crying, blaming refs, ball sticking everywhere, no passing, everyone trying to get their own. Stupid plays all over the court. And I was like "ah yes, the Kings I know."

Teams take on the identities of their best players. If your best players are immature selfish losers, well...what do you expect?

The Mavs have their own challenges of taking on players who are used to selfish losing basketball. Jameer Nelson comes to mind. But the Mavs have lockerroom that won't tolerate that, and a coach who actually has more power than the players. They'll figure it out.

But on a positive note for the Kings, last night I saw glimpses of what the Kings could be. And to me it looked like at least a sniff of the 8th playoff spot. It's not crazy talk anymore.

One problem with the grading consortium (which I actually wouldn't mind being a part of now and then :p) is the chance of inconsistency among graders. Given the grades handed to Sessions, Thompson etc I just don't see how you can give Rudy Gay a B. He made some huge boneheaded plays at critical moments of the game - not passing the ball to a wide open Cousins/ McLemore, randomly dribbling the ball out of bounds when we just got a steal, pulling up for a three and missing in transition when he coulda attacked the rim... and on defense left Chandler Parsons wide open on multiple occasions. It wasn't a matter of the Mavs forcing us to rotate - these were times when he just flat out turned his back on Parsons and didn't even challenge the shot.

For me the game took the turn downhill when Derrick Williams cam in the Game and in one freaking minute had 3 fouls and as he was standing after each one was smiling and joking around about it? Oh My Gosh!!!!
If I was the coach I would pull him to the side and slap that silly smile right off his face before I banished him to the bench FOREVER !! More Omri Please !

Well for a 1.25 quarters I was in Hog Heaven. Then the fact that Collison was not in the game suddenly became all to apparent. The whole thing fell apart like an IKEA clothes rack built by 5 year olds.

Derrick Williams is an embarrassment. What a waste of playing time.
Sessions showed why he has moved around the league so much. Even when he's scoring, his team is losing.
Cousins still has the NBA refs pissed off at him. Gonna take a while to gain any respect from the zebras. We cant play effectively when he aint on the floor
Gay did what he could but it was a one man show that fell apart in the 4th
I am pleasantly surprised by BMAC. His offense is starting to come around. Hopefully not at the expense of his defense.
Did JT even suit up tonight? I think I saw him getting torched a few times but I may have to rewatch the game to see if he even played. Nonexistant.
Casspi was energetic but not all that effective.
Nik is actually looking worse not better. Not a good sign. His defense looked good one possession, then terrible the next. His shooting is actually getting less reliable.
Ryan Hollins is like one of those Drug Store Indians that has a handful of cigars. Stiff and lifeless. Almost totally useless.

Life on the road in the NBA is no joke. They went into Dallas will good intentions. But those intentions quickly dried up and the team reverted into what it was last year. A non trusting non assist, non passing team that gets stomped. Consistency is difficult. They need to regroup and do it again against an even tougher matchup in Memphis. The Grizz aint no joke either. I think this roadtrip has made it quite clear that we have no NBA Caliber Power Forward and no backup PG to rely on if Collison goes down. Sessions looked like a really short 2 guard. This team is not a finished product. Still need more pieces to finish the job. A starting PF would be a good start.

p.s. say what you will but it felt like the Ref's decided in the 2nd qtr that the score was too lopsided and needed to help the Mavs a bit to make it fair... im just saying....
This. When things started to go bad, I noticed that Sessions did a disappearing act rather than taking control of the offense and trying to calm the team.

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
IMO the turn around point in the game was when the Kings players started whining and complaining to the refs. We had a 20 something point lead and our players decided it's time start complaining. From that point on the game went downhill. This is going to be a problem until some things change. I would post this somewhere where everyone can see it.

Surrender to the officiating. There is nothing that you can do about it. Concentrate the next right thing. Focus on what you CAN do and do that.

Until this team can change this mind set, they're success will be limited.

This game was hard to take as a fan. But it can be fixed. Just do the right things and success will come.
Couldn't agree more with this post. And the weird thing about the whining and complaining was that it was happening when the Kings were winning big! Landry got his TO when the Kings were up by a very large amount, and then you could see the cascade of whining from Cousins et al after that. Again, this happened when the Kings were up by a large margin. If the Kings had some mental discipline they might have had a shot in this game, but without it they had no chance.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
One problem with the grading consortium (which I actually wouldn't mind being a part of now and then :p) is the chance of inconsistency among graders. Given the grades handed to Sessions, Thompson etc I just don't see how you can give Rudy Gay a B. He made some huge boneheaded plays at critical moments of the game - not passing the ball to a wide open Cousins/ McLemore, randomly dribbling the ball out of bounds when we just got a steal, pulling up for a three and missing in transition when he coulda attacked the rim... and on defense left Chandler Parsons wide open on multiple occasions. It wasn't a matter of the Mavs forcing us to rotate - these were times when he just flat out turned his back on Parsons and didn't even challenge the shot.
I agree on this one - although I was watching the PGs closely in this game, I thought Rudy's turnovers were pretty unacceptable, and while I can't be sire it was his fault, Parsons was open far, far too often. On the other hand, Rudy did have the assists that our PG did not, so there is that. All in all, consistency is a difficulty with the Consortium (and Brick does try to normalize things a bit), but it's a difficulty that we have to live with, barring one person doing all of the grading. Grading one person at a time is challenge enough - grading all five?

If you are "nudging" Brick regarding his Consortium recruitment notice, three cheers! We could use more hands on deck. Perhaps a private message ("conversation") with him would be most effective.

The Kings need to stop reading the media about how wonderful they are. They are breathing their own exhaust.

Collison should be appreciated for what he brings.

It is a team game. The Mavs are a mediocre defensive team, that gave the Kings trouble. Gay and Cousins had at least 10 turnovers because they could not beat the double teams. Too much one on one.

Ben is playing better. Sessions is still shaking the rust off and better get some assists soon. A troubling loss.