[Grades] Grades v. Grizzlies 11/3/2015

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

The more things change, the more they stay the same...

Boxscore

Stats: 32min 19pts (7-17, 1-4, 4-4) 5reb 3ast 1stl 0blk 2TO
Summary: started off pretty well as the one King able to cut through the daze, but ran out of seam quickly.

Gay ( C ) -- there were a few minutes of hope in this one early on, and in retrospect many of them were provided because Rudy showed up for a while. Even so it was a mixed bag of nice plays (hitting a streaking WCS with the nice pass for the dunk) and ugly ones (missing a layup off the bottom of the rim, Bricklayer style). Luckily the Grizz were every bit as uninspiring as predicted by, well, me, and it was enough for a bit. Rudy even did a respectable job on Zach Randolph for a while on defense. But like it was last time out against the Clippers, Rudy's early strong play did not last. Our offense, barely sputtering along to start, entirely broke down in the second quarter, then I think everybody got depressed and the defense went too. Everything became 1 on 1, Rudy's efficiency went, and he had no impact at all after the first quarter. Nothing's really changed there: still a #2, we just can't survive the loss of the #1. --Brick

Stats: 34min 9pts (3-4, 0-0, 3-6) 7reb 1ast 1stl 1blk 1TO
Summary: as it was with Blake, minimum effectiveness a a man to man stopper.

Cauley Stein ( C ) -- After two very good games, Willie fell off a little tonight. He still played well, but I think he tried to do too much without Cuz being there. I think the pace that the Grizz force you into playing doesn't help either. So chalk it up as a learning experience. He ended up with 9 points on 3 of 4 shooting and 7 boards. I would have liked to see him board a little bit better, but too many times he was out guarding on the perimeter which took him away from the basket. His defense was good, but he was up against two crafty veterans in Gasol and Randolph (Gasol only in the first half). He got called for a quick foul in the first quarter, but managed to keep the fouls under control the rest of the game. As usual his scoring came on cuts and putbacks, and to be honest, his teammates didn't look for him often. It's becoming obvious that Willie's weakness is his foul shooting. He really struggled tonight, but then so did the rest of the team. But it's something he needs to improve. Otherwise it will be hack a Willie at the end of games. --Baja

Stats: 26min 11pts (5-6, 0-0, 1-2) 6reb 0ast 1stl 0blk 1TO
Summary: mediocre and in foul trouble, played like he was just these guys' backup.

Koufos ( C ) -- Koufos was fairly solid throughout the game. Nothing spectacular, just your typical blue collar game. He ended up with 11 points and 6 boards. The Kings got killed on the boards all night long, and it didn't seem to matter who Memphis had on the floor. Defensively he was solid, but to no avail. Randolph and Wright just had their way all night long, along with both Green's, especially JalMychal Green, who seemed to be all over the court. He scored 12 points and grabbed 12 boards in 20 minutes. Memphis was hungry tonight after getting blown out by the Warriors. Koufos and company ran into a well oiled machine. They played well in the first quarter, but that was it, the rest of the game was all Memphis. Hard to fault Koufos who did about as good a job as you might expect. He made 5 of 6 shots, made some very nice passes and I believe he got a steal. The one part of his game that was below par tonight was his rebounding. All the Kings seemed a step slow in reacting to loose balls. We need a win tomorrow night. --Baja

Stats: 20min 2pts (1-5, 0-2, 0-0) 2reb 2ast 0stl 0blk 2TO
Summary: well at least he's consistent. Coaches love consistent.

McLemore ( D ) -- Well, let the McLemore Hate commence. There's not much that's going to stop it after an 1-5 outing, and hey, that plus two turnovers does kind of suck (though it is hard to have a big offensive game when your team won't pass the ball to you). But outside of Courtney Lee losing Ben twice very early in the first quarter for two makes, Ben had a pretty nice night on defense. It wasn't Ben getting burned all night - he only allowed a total of 9 points (3 of those hopelessly attempting to defend a 3-on-1, and hell, at least he was back in transition unlike his four teammates, 2 on free throws during garbagetime) and only allowed two other shots (missed threes by Barnes Russ Smith) in his 20 minutes. And do you remember who got the assignment to slow down the hot Conley to start the second half? Ben. How many shots did Conley get off? Zero. On top of that he got back and stopped transition nicely on one play in the first and was pretty much the only guy playing in garbagetime (and even forced a turnover and should have had another dunk in transition had the passer not been fouled). And hell, if we want to go there, at least Ben didn't miss any free throws tonight. Don't forget that he made two nice passes to Koufos for layups as well. Fact of the matter is, Ben had basically nothing to do with this loss. Did he have a poor offensive game? Sure. Did he have a poor defensive game? Not at all, in fact it was quite good. But, as Slim has pointed out, he's going to get the lion's share of the blame for this loss and he doesn't remotely deserve it. --Capt.

Stats: 27min 5pts (2-10, 0-1, 1-4) 6reb 4ast 1stl 0blk 2TO
Summary: if you got got caught thinking. well, took over for a half with Cuz out vs. the Clips, so maybe...hold that thought

Rondo ( D- ) -- was having to try to carry the offense early as nothing else was happening, but even though he got a couple of things to fall, he never was efficient. His free throw issues this time dovetailed with those of the rest of the team, and things got ugly from the stripe. Had one good play that started out badly, s he got blocked inside by Wright, but scrapped inside and stole the ball back, and then fed WCS coming down the lane. Was helping on the glass -- a welcome sight from such a little guard given that none of our other guards seem to want any part of that. But it ended up being maybe his biggest contribution as our offense looked putrid, and Conley was just escaping him with ease and going right arounf him on defense. --Brick

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Bench

Stats: 23min 4pts (1-7, 1-2, 1-4) 3reb 2stl 2stl 0blk 2TO
Casspi ( D- ) -- Not a good game for Omri. The energizer bunny's battery went dead. Defensively he was OK for the most part, but like several of his teammates, he couldn't hit a shot. He scored a whooping 4 points (2 more than McLemore scored) on 1 of 7 shooting, and he only grabbed 3 boards. He did have a couple of assists and steals, but that was about it. He played hard, but got little in the way of results. I'm sure it's a game Omri would rather forget about. I'd be remiss if I didn't credit the Grizzly's defense, which was smothering most of the night. Against a team like Memphis, we really missed Cousins.

Stats: 31min 18pts (4-10, 3-4, 7-8) 1reb 1ast 1stl 0blk 1TO
Collison ( C ) --.came in and immediately turned it over trying to accelerate on the break. Was trying to attack in his minutes, but it was wild, 1 on 1, out of the offense. Don't think its his natural environment -- if you want that you'd be better off with a natural like IT. At least got to the line, and was about the only King actually hitting them when he got there., Quicker than Beno of course, but got repeatedly outclevered, and his defensive awareness, for lack of a better term, sucked. He can do better. Has to do better. Gave us a burst in the 3rd with a 3 and hitting a trailing Koufos for a layin (literally his only assist), but this just looked the part of a moderately talented bench chucker not interested in doing much else. --Brick

Stats: 25min 12pts (3-9, 2-6, 4-6) 0reb 3ast 0stl 0blk 1TO
Belinelli ( D ) -- The good for Marco tonight is that he had at least a little bit of offense - he hit a couple of threes (though only at .333) and he got to the line a bit (though only going .667 there), and he did deliver three pretty nice assists. But he shied away from shooting during the third and early fourth when we needed to get back into it - he had multiple open threes that he refused to take with Barnes running in at him, despite the fact that he definitely had the room. And defensively, he didn't really get much done. His contribution on the fundamental end was basically limited to drawing one offensive foul and slapping at one ball to knock the ball out of bounds in our favor. Outside of that he didn't do much but allow easy shots, and the only reason I'm not killing him for it is because most of the shots didn't fall - but little of that had to do with his contest of the shots. It wasn't really a terribly great outing. And for anybody who wants to complain that Marco and Ben got the same grade despite Marco outscoring him 12-2, please try to remember that there are two sides of the court out there. --Capt.

Stats: 10min 2pts (1-2, 0-1, 0-0) 3reb 0ast 0stl 0blk 1TO
Butler ( D+ ) -- he does so little out there that the line between his subtle veteran"steadiness" or just flat old man somnolence. This time out I was very concerned about his lack of energy and boardwork as we got pounded (despite his 3 in 10 min being better than most of our guys). His only points came on what seemed like it might be an important jumper in the late third, but we were far too dead eyed to build on anything this night.

Stats: 4min 3pts (0-1, 0-0, 3-4) 1reb 0ast 1stl 0blk 0TO
Anderson ( INC ) --

Stats: 4min 0pts (0-1, 0-0, 0-2) 1reb 0ast 0stl 0blk 0TO
Moreland ( INC ) --

Stats: 3min 4pts (2-2, 0-0, 0-0) 0reb 1ast 0stl 0blk 0TO
Curry ( INC ) --

placeholder...

Last edited:
K

KingMilz

Still liked the fact WCS battled despite his defense being a bit crappy today (had a lot to do with the fact Memphis was penetrating at will), even if the saying the more things change the more they stay the same is true at least we finally got a rookie that's actually going to be worth watching his development. Also like last season Darren Collison in the first 5-10 games was our most consistent/hardworking player that guy is also a keeper.

Omri's performances tonight were horrendous, he didn't deliver what he was expected I guess with the absence of DeMarcus Cousins everybody had to step up their game, and nobody really did, but I couldn't quite understand his struggle from the free-throw line, 1-4, this is really weird considering he was shooting pretty decently from the line in the previous season, he has to work on it and restore his calmness and confidence when shooting from the free-throw line.
I would like to think that we will do better against the Phoenix Suns tomorrow, Cousins impact on the game is obviously tremendous but the Kings have to find a way to win without Cousins as well, after a possible win we might really be a contender for a playoffs spot in the tough Western conference.

To sum-up nobody was good in this game but I hope everyone will be able to make this mental adjustment to the next game and come with a winning attitude to the game against the Suns.

Marco was yelling at his teammates about their poor defense at one point, while the Grizz had easy shot after easy shot. Meanwhile the Memphis defense was freaking really good. Barnes was always in Marco's face when he was ready to launch a three. Having Tony Allen and Matt Barnes is a nice defensive wing duo. The Kings don't even have one wing defender in those guys league

Marco was yelling at his teammates about their poor defense at one point, while the Grizz had easy shot after easy shot. Meanwhile the Memphis defense was freaking really good. Barnes was always in Marco's face when he was ready to launch a three. Having Tony Allen and Matt Barnes is a nice defensive wing duo. The Kings don't even have one wing defender in those guys league

Do you even James Anderson, bro?

This game probably is the end of Ben's career in Sacramento. He is now posting a PER of 0.7. Worst of any starter (except Randy Foye if he's starting). And if you go to stats.nba.com Defense Tracking, Ben has the worst defense% of any of our rotation players. At this point it's time to get anything of value for him.

Everyone on the court was pretty bad, absolutely. But at this point I have to start to question what it is that George Karl is even doing on the sideline. He looked as disengaged as anyone yesterday, no fire or passion at all. He called ONE timeout due to us being blown out (and we responded with a 7-0 run), he never adjusted the game plan despite it obviously not working (Rudy checking Z-Bo, really?), his small-ball tendencies were on full display, and - most importantly - he never seemed to hold anyone accountable for lax defense.

Offensively, I'm really struggling to understand his game plan - beyond "drive to the basket and see what you can do". Why not run Belinelli off a screen at the elbow - that shot is money? Why not design some plays for BMac (he obviously can't get himself going)? It just looks like he lets the players figure it out on their own, which is fine when it works, but shouldn't the coach step in and stop the bleeding with well-designed plays? I fully understand that it's only been four games and all, but the problems I saw yesterday will not go away on their own unless someone takes the reigns (be that GK, Rondo or Cousins). The team just looked rudderless out there.

Well that was deflating. We were ****ing horrible.

Our defense is pathetic, Grizz got whatever they wanted.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Everyone on the court was pretty bad, absolutely. But at this point I have to start to question what it is that George Karl is even doing on the sideline. He looked as disengaged as anyone yesterday, no fire or passion at all. He called ONE timeout due to us being blown out (and we responded with a 7-0 run), he never adjusted the game plan despite it obviously not working (Rudy checking Z-Bo, really?), his small-ball tendencies were on full display, and - most importantly - he never seemed to hold anyone accountable for lax defense.

Offensively, I'm really struggling to understand his game plan - beyond "drive to the basket and see what you can do". Why not run Belinelli off a screen at the elbow - that shot is money? Why not design some plays for BMac (he obviously can't get himself going)? It just looks like he lets the players figure it out on their own, which is fine when it works, but shouldn't the coach step in and stop the bleeding with well-designed plays? I fully understand that it's only been four games and all, but the problems I saw yesterday will not go away on their own unless someone takes the reigns (be that GK, Rondo or Cousins). The team just looked rudderless out there.
I had the same thought. BMac is the least creative wing player we have on this team. I think anyone who watched film on him would know that. Therefore, he's going to do better in a structured offense (see Malone). Karl's offense can't be described as structured. Knowing the offense Karl wanted to run, and knowing the kind of game that BMac has, why didn't they trade BMac instead of Stauskas?

Do you even James Anderson, bro?
Tony Allen and Matt Barnes have been key rotation players who specialize in defense on playoff teams for multiple years. James Anderson has not. That is no disrespect to James or am I saying he cannot, just that he has not done it yet.

This game probably is the end of Ben's career in Sacramento. He is now posting a PER of 0.7. Worst of any starter (except Randy Foye if he's starting). And if you go to stats.nba.com Defense Tracking, Ben has the worst defense% of any of our rotation players. At this point it's time to get anything of value for him.

I really hope that it is the end. I have been done with the Ben experiment for a long time. I have desperately hoped that he would prove me wrong, but he continues to run up and down the court for 25 minutes without doing much of anything. I would much rather have Marco stand out there as a 3 point threat to open things up for the other 4 inside. Right now, if I was on the other team I would beg for Ben to shoot a jumper.

Just a really terrible game last night for the Kings. The Kings cannot win without Cuz. Even if Cuz had played I'm not sure the Kings would have had a victory.

The season just started and we have many games to go. The defense needs to improve considerably. The team needs to take advantage of it's schedule here at the beginning.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

Not sure we were watching the same game. They ran Belinelli off screens time and time again, but the Grizz defended it extremely well. Barnes was practically wearing Belinelli's jersey. Memphis stuffed the middle to stop penetration, and then defended our perimeter shooters. If you think Karl was disengaged, then you don't know Karl very well. Disgusted would be a better description. Memphis is one of the best teams in the NBA, and we had to play them without our best player. We had three new players to the team in the starting lineup, and one starter from last season who is contributing nothing, and yet, some think we should still be a well oiled machine and kick butt. It's going to take a little time to get everyone on the same page. I know some don't want to hear that, but that's reality.

I think rather than figure out how to get McLemore open, Karl will probably replace him. Coaches like Karl, and I might add, Adleman, don't like breast feeding young players. They like veterans because yes, they can figure out what to do on the fly. I remember a story Reynolds told me once about Derrick Smith coming up to him at practice when he was the coach, and asking him if he could run some plays to get him open. Reynolds said, I told him dude, we traded two veteran players (Mike Woodson, Larry Drew) and a couple of draft picks for you, get yourself open.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I had the same thought. BMac is the least creative wing player we have on this team. I think anyone who watched film on him would know that. Therefore, he's going to do better in a structured offense (see Malone). Karl's offense can't be described as structured. Knowing the offense Karl wanted to run, and knowing the kind of game that BMac has, why didn't they trade BMac instead of Stauskas?
I couldn't agree more on the trade. Maybe Philly demanded Stauskas be included. Don't know. By the way, he started for Philly monday night and had 15 pts. He wasn't perfect, but he was better than McLemore has been. Karl's offense does have an overall structure, but within that overall structure, it allows for players to take advantage of situations as they arise. But there's no doubt it works better with veteran players, or at least someone like WCS who played in the same type of system at Kentucky.

I think there's a definite disconnect between what kind of players we have (Vlade's view) and what Karl wants to do. Not as much of a gap as a year ago between Pete and Malone, but it's there. Or rather, I don't know if Karl knows how to properly utilize the type of roster Vlade accumulated (Malone would!) The jury is still out, of course, since it's only been four games. My hope is that we'll surprise people just on talent and vet leadership alone (Rondo and Cuz), not necessarily due to Karl's ingenuity or Zen mastery.

And yeah, Stauskas is definitely more of a Karl player than McLemore, but for all we know Phily wanted him over BMac, so Vlade had to agree.

Not sure we were watching the same game. They ran Belinelli off screens time and time again, but the Grizz defended it extremely well. Barnes was practically wearing Belinelli's jersey. Memphis stuffed the middle to stop penetration, and then defended our perimeter shooters. If you think Karl was disengaged, then you don't know Karl very well. Disgusted would be a better description. Memphis is one of the best teams in the NBA, and we had to play them without our best player. We had three new players to the team in the starting lineup, and one starter from last season who is contributing nothing, and yet, some think we should still be a well oiled machine and kick butt. It's going to take a little time to get everyone on the same page. I know some don't want to hear that, but that's reality.

I think rather than figure out how to get McLemore open, Karl will probably replace him. Coaches like Karl, and I might add, Adleman, don't like breast feeding young players. They like veterans because yes, they can figure out what to do on the fly. I remember a story Reynolds told me once about Derrick Smith coming up to him at practice when he was the coach, and asking him if he could run some plays to get him open. Reynolds said, I told him dude, we traded two veteran players (Mike Woodson, Larry Drew) and a couple of draft picks for you, get yourself open.
No question, Barnes had his way with Belinelli yesterday, but my point stands. The team needed something, anything from its coach, since they obviously were sinking fast. Several times during the game I was wondering when Karl would finally call a timeout and craft a solid play (especially in Q2). Note that Joerger called his own timeout as soon as we ran off 7 points in Q3, and the play out of the timeout got them an open 3 by Allen, if I remember correctly. And I have seen Karl be emotional, plus disgusted or not, his job is to put the team in the best position to succeed and I feel like he failed yesterday, quality opponent or not. Again, I don't expect us to suddenly become Spurs (or hell, even Karl's Nuggets) - I just expect more in-game impact from the coach.

Regarding McLemore, Karl may want to trade him, but that's not his job. His focus should be to make best use of the tools given. I'm sure Malone wanted to replace 2/3 of the team last year, but he made it work. I'm all for replacing BMac, but realistically - not sure what our options are as it stands. That is why he was the X Factor coming into the season and so far it's looking bleak for him.

Last edited:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Just a really terrible game last night for the Kings. The Kings cannot win without Cuz. Even if Cuz had played I'm not sure the Kings would have had a victory.

The season just started and we have many games to go. The defense needs to improve considerably. The team needs to take advantage of it's schedule here at the beginning.
What advantage is there really? They are playing nothing but playoff teams and then when they do finally go and play those Eastern teams, they have to play Miami, Atlanta, Toronto, Milwaukee...those are not easy games.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I couldn't agree more on the trade. Maybe Philly demanded Stauskas be included. Don't know. By the way, he started for Philly monday night and had 15 pts. He wasn't perfect, but he was better than McLemore has been. Karl's offense does have an overall structure, but within that overall structure, it allows for players to take advantage of situations as they arise. But there's no doubt it works better with veteran players, or at least someone like WCS who played in the same type of system at Kentucky.
Karl just said on TV that the game is going more toward "free ball" and decision making (and perimeter). Something to note in evaluations of future draft picks. And again, decision making isn't exactly Ben's strength.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Karl just said on TV that the game is going more toward "free ball" and decision making (and perimeter). Something to note in evaluations of future draft picks. And again, decision making isn't exactly Ben's strength.
Ben's only strength is his athleticism. We saw how that worked out for guys like Joe Alexander, White, Jan Vesely, etc.

Tony Allen and Matt Barnes have been key rotation players who specialize in defense on playoff teams for multiple years. James Anderson has not. That is no disrespect to James or am I saying he cannot, just that he has not done it yet.
It was just a joke man. Of course he's not on their level.