• IT playing like he stuffed himself

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • MT, er, nice return to action

Votes: 11 22.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

Well...darn again. Tonight we Lob Citied right on Lob City's head, and still we come up just short against this team, The Williams acquisition looked excellent for the night, it changed the whole tone of our starting group, we got in another fun chippy battle with the Clippers, took it to OT...and one more time we lost just like a young dumb, athletic group of newbies is supposed to do against an experienced team. A lot of self inflicted wounds, but this was also the game where the season/preseason long simmering issue of super bench gunner Jamal Crawford against the worst defensive guard line in the NBA finally blew up into full fledged disaster. Suffice it to say that DeMarcus was only the second best player on the floor tonight. Still, before the trade we didn't have a realistic shot to make a game like this such a battle on a night when apparently The Pizza Guy overimbided on Thanksgiving and turned into The Turkey Guy.

Your Consoritum Graders tonight:
Bricklayer
Uncia03
Bajaden
Spudfan
MassachusettsKingsFan

Boxscore

Stats: 32min 12pts (6-13, 0-2, 0-1) 6reb 4ast 0stl 0blk 1TO
Williams ( B ) -- synergy [n] -- the interaction of multiple elements in a system to produce an effect different from or greater than the sum of their individual effects. That was the effect of Derrick Williams tonight. And it was greater than the relatively pedestrian statline above shows. He walked right in off the plane, right into the starting lineup, and far from looking tentative just started running and gunning like the offense was designed around him. He had instant athletic wondertwins fastbreak chemistry with M16, combining on no fewer than four fun get out on the break alley oop sequences between the two of them, once Mac passing to him for a big dunk for the first points of his Kings career, three times Williams grabbing strong rebounds, and immediately racing out leading the break looking for his wingman the other way. He also seemed to have instant chemistry with Cousins, and late in the game was backcutting hard as Cousins retreated toward the perimeter to clear the lane and found Williams at the rim repeatedly. Was even active and attentive on defense for the most part, something that has to have Minnesota fans muttering since they will tell you he rarely could be bothered to bother in 2+ years with them. And the overall effect of this entirely changed the flavor of our starting lineup, despite only one face being different. All of a sudden, there was somebody else out there to worry about than just Boogie. We could score. We could rebound. We had a flavor as he and Ben combined to be a constant menace in the open court. Williams notched 4 assists in the game and was both willing and very effective as a passer on the break. This is a guy with a career 0.5/ast game average. You never would have known. We had full sized athletes all over the court, although the lack of anybody competent on the other end made John Salmons disturbingly important anyway. It was a synergy effect. Suddenly we felt like a real team. Late in the game came up with a massive one handed alley oop slam with 2:25 to go as it looked like we might win it in regulation...only to have it waived off by the refs saying Dudley had fouled him first. Thx Refs. We don't care. Let him foul us, give us the points. So we took them anyway, as we took the ball on the side and immediately Williams just cut backdoor on Dudley again and Cousins found him for another alley oop, this one a two hander. Fun fun. But not perfect. In fact all the fun stuff/synergy was obscuring some other trends that might get ugly in the future. Basically Williams as racing athlete with Mac and Cousins elevated our entire offense, but when you scratched the surface, he was basically struggling at all the other aspects of offense. His jumper looked flat broke. It was ironic he was for some reason wearing Reke's old #13, because every jumper he put up seemed different than the last and really not even close. And both times we tried to post him he couldn't finish those either. basically as long as he ran, cut, and dunked this was a big outing. When we tried to get some more meat and potatoes attempts for him, it was inefficient. And late in the game/OT his grade sunk back a little as it was the inefficient Minny-era Williams who showed up in the OT. He regressed and took a tough tough fallaway jumper as we started to slide. Late in the OT he just airballed a three. Things to watch and be concerned about going forward, bu in general it would be impossible to call the debut anything but a rousing success overall. --Brick

Stats: 23min 6pts (3-7, 0-0, 0-0) 4reb 0ast 0stl 1blk 1TO
Thompson ( C ) -- With Derrick Williams entering the starting lineup, Jason Thompson is now the clear-cut 5th option on offense. That isn’t necessarily a bad thing, it just makes Thompsons game a little harder to evaluate because he gets so few touches offensively. Jason only played 23 minutes tonight, but in those 23 minutes I thought he defended Blake Griffin about as well as you could expect. Griffin was getting nothing inside on Thompson, which forced Griffin into taking some long jumpers in order to get going (to Griffins credit he hit a few of them and then started playing better). Malone elected to play Patterson in crunch time and over time, which I disagreed with because Thompson was playing such solid defense. His rebounding numbers weren’t there today. His offense was nothing to write home about. He fumbled the ball a few times. But Thompson essentially matched Griffins production for the minutes he played, and you’ll take that.--Mass

Stats: 41min 25pts (11-19, 0-0, 3-3) 9reb 6ast 0stl 3blk 3TO
Cousins ( A ) -- Cousins had another great night and started off the first quarter hot by hitting 4-5 shots (9 points), making 3 assists and recording 2 blocks with only 1 foul in 9 minutes. But for some reason he only attempted one shot in the second quarter during 10 minutes of play. Even with scoring zero points in the second quarter he managed to finish with 25 points while only attempting 3 free-throws. Four of Cousins 19 attempts tonight were blocked by Jordan, when you take those blocked shots into consideration Cousins shooting looks even more efficient. Outside of a couple turnovers and a missed blockout on Jordan he didn’t make many mistakes. The main takeaway from tonight though is that Cousins and Williams seem to have some chemistry. They connected on a few passes and worked the rebounds well together. I think Cousins is going to like playing with Williams and it might just make Cousins a more efficient player too. --Spud

Stats: 35min 14pts (5-12, 1-6, 3-3) 4reb 3ast 2stl 0blk 2TO
McLemore ( D+ ) -- This is a really tough grade. I want to give him a decent grade for his overall effort and hustle but there were some problems with his game tonight. He had a season high in minutes play with 35 minutes and had good production through-out the entire game with 4 rebounds, 3 assists, and 2 steals. Prior to the last 2 shots of the game (both missed 3pt shots) he was shooting 50% of the field at 5-10 shooting, and he hit two enormously clutch FTs to tie the game with only 16 seconds left in the game. There were, however, two major problems with his game. The first was the manner in which he was scoring. It wasn’t until the 2nd to last shot in the game (during OT) before he took a shot where he came hard off of a curl, received the ball and rose up to shoot. He missed that shot, but that’s the sort of shot we’ve seen him take with confidence, and that was completely lacking in this game. In fact, it looked as if he wasn’t at all confident with shooting the ball tonight. He had a wide-open 3pt shot from the corner with no-one guarding him or running at him and he hit the edge of the backboard which seems insane considering how good of a shooter he can be. Anyway, he scored his points mostly due to Williams finding him on the fast-break, and other than that seemed to not have confidence in his outside shot. He also took the last 2 attempts for the Kings and by missing those shots closed their chances at winning. The biggest reason, however, for the bad grade was due to his defense. And I know that every Kings fan who was watching that game just held their breath when he got isolated playing defense against Crawford. And for good reason, because Crawford obliterated Ben tonight. Crawford was able to get anywhere he wanted on the floor which not only allowed him to get 10+ assists but also allowed him a ton of easy scoring opportunities. Now I know that Crawford was really hot tonight, but when Ben was guarding Crawford, it felt as if Crawford just ignored him and went on his merry way right to the spots that he wanted. I love the athleticism and hustle that Ben brings to the floor, and he’s showing a lot more than Thornton at the moment, but if he’s lost confidence in his shot than he needs to find it, and he’s got to get better at staying down and in front of the guys that he’s defending. --Uncia

Stats: 36min 11pts (4-12, 2-6, 1-1) 3reb 7ast 0stl 0blk 0TO
Vasquez ( C+ ) -- If not for Vasquez terrible defense, he might have had a B. But he didn't do enough on the other side of the floor, and he did play pretty well offensively, to compensate for his defense. His lateral quickness is absolutely horrible. It didn't matter who he was trying to guard. Collison went anywhere he wanted to go on the floor, and when he had to guard Crawford, it got worse. Its not as though he doesn't try, he's simply incapable. By comparison, he makes Jimmer look like a lock down defender. That said, he did have his moments on offense. Now that he had a new weapon to work with, he made the most of him with a couple of nice alley oops. He made a couple of nice passes on the pick and roll as well, ending up with 7 assists, and could have had more if not for some missed shots. He didn't shoot the ball that well, going 4 for 12, and 2 for 6 from the three, but it was good enough to keep the other team honest. His most memorable shot coming late in the 4th quarter with one tick left on the shot clock, when he traveled but wasn't called and jumped into Griffin and literally threw the ball at the basket and banked in a three. That shot ended up tying the game and eventually sending it into overtime. He didn't do much in overtime except for a nice dish to Patterson on a pick and roll, and miss a wide open three. --Baja

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Bench

Stats: 17min 4pts (2-4, 0-2, 0-0) 3reb 0ast 0stl 0blk 1TO
Thornton ( F ) -- This was a very disappointing game for Thornton. With the Kings apparently being ‘Very Busy’ in regards to making trades, my first thought when Thornton got to the floor after not playing for a few games was that this was to give him some time to show-case his abilities with the hopes of facilitating a deal. If that was the case, the attempt was a colossal failure. For a player who’s job is to come in and score Thornton just looked completely lost and out of place on the offensive side of the ball. In almost 18 minutes of play he only got off 4 shot attempts and only one of them was a floor-spacing catch-and-shoot variety which he missed. He had a basket in transition and hit a jumper off his own dribble over Reddick and that was it. What earns him the F however is the fact that both Reddick and Crawford destroyed him on the other. So he didn’t provide any spacing or scoring for us and he hurt us badly on the defensive end. I really hope that he gets some more playing time and is able to better take advantage of it, because right now he’s not in a good place and it’s hurting our team. --Uncia

Stats: 21min 14pts (6-11, 2-3, 0-0) 3reb 2ast 1stl 1blk 0TO
Salmons ( B ) -- and so its come to this. Having completely eliminated every other shred of defensive personnel from the roster, we have now entered the John Salmons Defensive Messiah era. And on a night when IT was surprisingly just meh, John's responsibilities went beyond just being our defensive alpha, our omega, our Feta cheese, and went to being our only effective 6th man too. And on this night he wasn't the Stinky Fish. He was more of a Fragrant Fish and contributed on both sides of the ball. He got off to a good start playing strong defense on Collison near the end of the first getting his hands on a fastbreak attempt, then going down the other way for layup of his own. And he came out in the second, and after some initial uneasiness at his seeming ability to bribe the coaches into featuring him again, he began to settle in and really was easily our most effective bencher. He scored effectively, made a nice pass ahead to set up Thornton on the break, and even hit a three to beat the clock after Coiusins got his shot blocked,. Quiet after returning and put the arena to sleep after the Williams athletic fireworks, but was still playing better defense than any of our other perimeter guys (which is to say he was doing virtually nothing but at least staying in front of his man). Lost most of his minutes to the much more dynamic new guy, but there was a certain point where I, who will get down on my knees and thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster the day I never have to watch another sleepwalking Salmons game, was nonetheless saying we really need to get him back in the game to steady us and play some defense. And we did, for one play. The final play of regulation he was brought back to guard Crawford, who just embarrassed our other excuses for guard defenders, and John did a solid job again. He didn't stop him, and Crawford was hitting much tougher shots than the one John made him take to try to win the game, but Crawford missed, John went back to the bench, and our athletic kids helped us meltdown in the OT.--Brick.

Stats: 17min 5pts (2-5, 1-3, 0-0) 2reb 1ast 0stl 0blk 4TO
Thomas ( D- ) -- To be honest, I'm being kind giving IT a D. I never thought I'd have to write that Thomas had absolutely no impact on a game, but that's about the size of it tonight. I thought for a while that perhaps he had the flu. He showed little energy, or the aggressive nature were used to seeing. He did play 17 minutes and score 5 points on 2 of 5 shooting, but were talking about I. Thomas here, and we expect more. He only had one assist. I'd like to write more, but there just isn't anything to add to this. He wasn't terrible, he just wasn't there at all. Hopefully the real Isaiah shows up tomorrow. --Baja

Stats: 27min 7pts (3-5, 0-0, 1-2) 9reb 0ast 0stl 0blk 1TO
Patterson ( C ) -- I thought Patterson played hard for most of his 27 minutes tonight, but he wasn’t great. He came down with 9 rebounds, which deserves mentioning because Malone is essentially playing him at backup center for stretches. Hamady N’Diaye played 5 minutes. Other than that, Patterson was playing ‘backup 5’ with Travis Outlaw playing the four for about 10 minutes. That’s 10 minutes to long, by the way. He was outmuscled inside (and was a clear drop off from Thompson defensively on Blake), but you have to know that’s exactly what’s going to happen. As a team the Kings rebounded the ball well most of the night, so while this strategy didn’t kill them it’s not something I want to see a lot of. His lone offensive bright spots came right at the start of overtime where he scored back-to-back buckets inside to give the Kings a 4-point lead.--Mass

Stats: 5min 0pts (0-1, 0-0, 0-0) 1reb 0ast 0stl 0blk 2TO
Ndiaye ( D ) -- Not a very good game from Hamady. In his 5 minute of play he committed 3 fouls, 2 turnovers and grabbed 1 rebound while missing his only shot. He was just trying to do too much. Back to the basket post up moves and dribble drives are not something he is capable of doing and trying to do so will most likely nullify the positive contributions he makes. Such as the nice offensive rebound which gave us another shot at a basket after Fish missed a jumper. --Spud

Stats: 10min 0pts (0-2, 0-1, 0-0) 0reb 1ast 1stl 0blk 0TO
Outlaw ( INC ) -- Outlaw only saw 10 minutes of extremely forgettable action at the 4. His only play that I distinctively remember was a missed 3. Didn’t register a point, rebound, or foul and his +/- was 0. Enjoy your incomplete. --Mass

Last edited:
K

KingMilz

#Williams is a SF like I said in the thread meet Derricks Williams outside the 4-5 elite SF's he can easily defend others and his playmaking blew me away his shot looks a bit iffy but that's fixable I rather have playmaking since it's something you can't teach he's good no doubt.
#Cousins passing this year has been at a elite level for a C, was fantastic but imo being fair him and Vasquez hurt us a lot in OT
#Mac looked good with new best friend D-Will still made some rookie mistakes but I don't care keep playing the young man till he can't run.
#JT was solid on Blake but him and Patterson had a massive case of butter fingers on rebounds and interior passes
#Vasquez looked good In terms of passing but took two awful shots that really hurt us and along with Cuz did hurt us in OT
#Thomas non existent 2nd game in a row
#Salmons started off well but than went overboard
#Really felt we needed Isaiah in OT the dude is our most clutch player regardless how good/bad he played
#We went lob city on lob city but to many terrible plays cost us and we just can't seem to get past awful shots and turnovers at the most crucial times.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I don't think I was asking for much... given our home schedule in November, I thought we would at least have five wins before ten losses.

I hate to say it but tonight's game might be best case scenario for the health of this franchise. Competing. Individual improvement and maturity. Gelling as a core. entertaining the crowd with effort and intensity and staying with the opponent throughout the entirety of the game. And in the end getting the L and getting closer to this draft pick

I hate to say it but tonight's game might be best case scenario for the health of this franchise. Competing. Individual improvement and maturity. Gelling as a core. entertaining the crowd with effort and intensity and staying with the opponent throughout the entirety of the game. And in the end getting the L and getting closer to this draft pick
Grant and Jerry are just gushing over D-Will too. Gooooshing

Was there. It was fun and relaxing because the Kings played well and consistently until the end. They had there chance. Crawford can shoot. DW did well and fit in smoothly. Encouraging. Hope this effort will be repeated.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
He's moving in the appropriate direction to being one of the best players in the league, just need for his spirit to not get too disheartened over the immediate future
But, wait! I was assured, on this very forum, that Cousins was on board with the alleged "tanking." So Cousins should have nothing to be disheartened over, should he?

He's moving in the appropriate direction to being one of the best players in the league, just need for his spirit to not get too disheartened over the immediate future
I don't think he will as he now seems all in with youth movement strategy and overall new regime from Vivek to Malone to himself as important team leader.

On the vids (thanks Putin) I love how #13 gives little hand signal to his buddy Vasquez and then gets alley oop pass for major dunkage in split second. Then immediate redo with Cuz making likewise cool pass.

The only way that the losing works with Cousins is if Malone/Vivek/PDA all sat with him and had a 'real' conversation. Telling him that the Maloofs left the franchise in a bad spot and the only way they can truly compete at the highest levels is to bring in star talent and the best way to do that is through the draft.
If they said to him, "You go out there and put the NBA on notice and force your way onto the all-star team. Don't worry about winning because we won't do much of that this year but we're going to work to get you the help you need. Just think of how good we could be with a Pierce/Love/Drexler player added to our roster in this upcoming draft whenever you get frustrated with losing."

I think that Derrick Williams had a better 1st game than anyone really expected to him to have. I love the fact that he basically set up Ben for most of his points on the fast break which was great chemistry to see.
I felt that they should have posted him up a lot more against Dudley than we saw and I know that Malone will work that in more.
His jump shot definitely needs to be fixed as it did not look good, but I think that if he works on it and the Coaching staff gives him a long rope that it should improve.
It was really good to have such a nice big line-up out there though. When we ran the Cousins/JT/Williams/Ben/Vasquez line-up we're a huge team.

K

KingMilz

Dumb video. Makes it look like Cousins was talking to JJ when he was talking to the Ref and not even looking at JJ. Cropping out the ref to try and make a point is stupid.
Still hilarious none the less I love it we need characters in the NBA

The only way that the losing works with Cousins is if Malone/Vivek/PDA all sat with him and had a 'real' conversation. Telling him that the Maloofs left the franchise in a bad spot and the only way they can truly compete at the highest levels is to bring in star talent and the best way to do that is through the draft.
If they said to him, "You go out there and put the NBA on notice and force your way onto the all-star team. Don't worry about winning because we won't do much of that this year but we're going to work to get you the help you need. Just think of how good we could be with a Pierce/Love/Drexler player added to our roster in this upcoming draft whenever you get frustrated with losing."

I think that Derrick Williams had a better 1st game than anyone really expected to him to have. I love the fact that he basically set up Ben for most of his points on the fast break which was great chemistry to see.
I felt that they should have posted him up a lot more against Dudley than we saw and I know that Malone will work that in more.
His jump shot definitely needs to be fixed as it did not look good, but I think that if he works on it and the Coaching staff gives him a long rope that it should improve.
It was really good to have such a nice big line-up out there though. When we ran the Cousins/JT/Williams/Ben/Vasquez line-up we're a huge team.
I am sure they did. I am also sure the Cousins is a smart guy. He knows that their isn't much talent around him and I think he can see Pete and Vivek are trying to get him some help. Whether Williams should have ever been a #2 pick and if it was a down year for the draft can be debated... but I bet Cousins appreciates they were able to bring in a previous #2 pick to help out.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
D-Williams spectacular plays notwithstanding, this is a game Luc would have come in handy to guard Crawford. I'm not complaining about the trade, but it may lose more games in the short run. Hopefully, it will win a lot more in the long run. There is a lot of raw material to work with in Williams; it's going to take some coaching and time in order to refine it. Most importantly, they are going to have to find his outside shot. It appears to have gone to the North Pole sometime after he got drafted. I want to see what Williams looks like after several months this year of getting coached-up and a serious summer of working on his shot. If he gets it back, it's a fantastic trade. If not, it's probably going to be a whiff by DA. Like he said in the interview, they are being aggressive; some of these trades are going to work; some aren't. In any case, I like the overall strategy.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I thought Derrick Williams was very, very good tonight. His athleticism is off the charts, and he was putting in great effort. His shot looks broken - doesn't remotely resemble the stroke he had in Arizona - but I have to believe that is fixable. Maybe even a bit of that can be chalked up to butterflies (which aren't going to affect dunks nearly so much).

And that one-handed lob that he threw down that got called off because of the foul on the floor? I think I woke the neighbors. Wow.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
If a great deal of us know what is going on this year, Cousins should know whether they talked to him or not. Trading for Williams and the upcoming draft's magnificence should keep his attention. :)

Williams completely changed this team overnight. Now we have size like I have not seen before.

What happened to Thomas? Does he need to be 10 points down to care? If he plays like we are ten points down we probably win.

All this team needs now is a finisher. Someone who hits those timely shots at critacle points in the game.