Grades v. Bucks 03/19/10

What was the cherry on top tonight?

• Landry and JT, 68 minutes, 5 rebs combined. Who's Soggy now?

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Ime stealing all of Donte and Casspi's minutes

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • Cisco missing all the clutch threes

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Noc in and out all game with the awesome shot selection

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The three blind mice refereeing the game

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • Reke being smothered by Salmons and 8 TOS

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Reke clocked and sent to the bench

Votes: 17 30.4%
  • Some scrawny jackass running around the court postgame yelling playoffs baby!

Votes: 10 17.9%
  • Salmons returns, and makes things as miserable as he ever did

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Lest I forget, the arena was almost completely empty too, on a Friday

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
This one was just sickening in every way imaginable. No chipper here. No idea on theme. If Jennings walked by in front of me right now I'd probbaly knock him into next week. So...

And sure, the theme of this thread can be Kings injuries through the years...expecially since everybody has already done such a good job of summarizing many of the weirder ones over the years and I can just point you down thread a bit rather than taking time to descibre them myself. :p

Greene ( D ) -- for all intents and purposes: nothing. Knocked down a long jumper in his first stint for his only points. Forced a dumb corner jumper that missed. Missed the corner three. Didn't do much of a job containing Salmons, and where was the energy? You're 21 years old, by definition you are supposed to be dumb and full of energy. And if you have to choose only one, you're better off taking the full of energy.

Landry ( C ) -- nice quick move and stop and pop to start, very strong and aggressive post move over Ilyasova. Got called for a cheap flagrant when he he came over to help on Salmons and got him up around the neck. In and out on the jumper, grabbed the o-reb, and finished. But these few flashes weren't surrounded by any meat at all -- pattern was a nice take, completely disappear for 5 minutes, another nice take. No other contributions. Only 6pts 1reb before half. Started the third hitting the long jumper. Drew the foul on Bogut, hit both. Again fouled and hit both. Agressive drive into heavy traffic but got it blocked. Little layup from Beno. Made a bad defensive mistake at a critcial time out of the timeout at the 20 second mark, letting Salmons free for a big three to slice the lead to 1. In OT stepped up with a turnaround jumper as we finally scored. Missed a post move and got called for two offensive fouls in back to back possessions to pick up his 6th and finish his night for us. Notably finished with a grand total of 2 rebounds. In a double OT game. That's just not feasible for a starting PF and had visions of Shareef, and Wayman and Antoine Carr dancing in my head.

Hawes ( B+ ) -- pretty active and aggressive game until he curled up in the clutch. Even the ridiculous three point chucking was mostly by design. Long jumper to start, three from the corner on the break, an offensive foul rolling down the lane trying to dump it off. In the 2nd back in late and delivered a nice give and go to Beno. Forced and missed a jumper. Good passing before half. Missed the long J to start the third, then disappeared for a long stretch. Reemebered with the little jumper on the pick and roll with Evans. Bad pass on the give and go with Reke resulted in another turnover. Stripped on the clumsy post spin by Salmons. Big one handed dunk follow of a Donte miss. Knocked down the baseline jumper. Block on Bogut after Cisco blocked Salmons. Then a very active defesnive board, before Bogut got his revenge with a block the other way. Hit a three from up top. Jumper on the kick from Reke. Almost another three from Reke but rimmed out. Missed the jumper down the stretch. In OT made the good pass to Beno for the game tying jumper at the 59 second mark. But then suddenly felt his reproductive organs back up into his throat as he basically airbaled the long jumper to try to win it at the 20 second mark. Was done after that, and after a few wasted minutes in the 2nd OT, we decided to go to Noc instead -- a desperate strategy if ever there was one. Filled the stat sheet in this one: 16pts 8reb 6ast.

Udrih ( A- ) -- big game working against the alleged "defense" of Jennings, and shouldered the load as goto guy once we lost Reke. Yep, you heard that right -- the Kings goto guy, our Kobe, our LeBron, was Beno Udrih. :p Smoothly popped a midrange jumper to start, then used an upfake to draw the foul on Jennings, but missed both FTs -- in fact styarted off theis game struggling to covert much of anything. Hustled back to pick off a pass on the break. Missed the corner three. Blew the layup on the give an go from Hawes. Missed another little jumper. With a two for one situation at the end of the first, dribbled down and took both shots, and missed them both. Not exactly an auspicious start for the man who would become our Kobe. Began the 2nd picking off an open court pass and took it the other way for the layup. Nice hard take left into the body of Kurt Thomas and hit the layup to cap an 11-0 run for us. Nifty spinning layup around both Jennings and Brezec. Torched by Salmons on defense. Scored off the nice give and go from Spencer. Steal in the open court again as this was one of Beno's best hustle games, but then followed it with a terrible no look pass on the break intended for Hawes that missed by 5 feet. Almsot started the third with another steal but was a half second late. Hit the open three. Brushed Jennings off the screen and knocked down another jumoper. Bad pass for a near turnover led to a jump ball. Missed the wild post turnaround over Jennings. Pass to Hawes along the baseline for the jumper. Good scrap on the offensive boards knocking it to Cisco. Pass to Landry for layup. Corner three from Reke. Missed a wild layup at the 1:30 mark. Intentionally fouled at the 20 second mark, and hit both FTs. Had his chance to truly prove his Kobeness, drove at the buzzer for the gamewinner...and missed the layup. In OT missed the short jumper to start. Ill conceived drive into traffic and got the ball poked away. Hit the tying jumper off the curl with a Hawes assist at the 1:00 mark. Drove and foolishly kicked to Spencer up top for a long game winning jumper attempt at the 20 second mark of the OT. In the 2nd OT missed a driving jumper, but hit the follow. Up fake on Jennings, and then the jumper. As we fell out of it, forced and missed a final jumper. Big night offesnviely, did a lot of right. Also took a ton of shots, and was one fo the primary peeps letting Jennings pop open for Js the whole night the other way -- he must have (and apparently did) feel like he was playing Golden State all over again. So fell just a tad short of the Kobe standard. But that's ok: next up? The Clippers, who Beno has always owned. With Reke out, Beno can down into Kobe's backyard and show him how nits done this time.

Evans ( D+ ) -- This one was shaping up to be painful long before the physical pain ensued. As predicted, it was of course Salmons on Reke to start, adn as was somewhat predictable, it caused all kinds of problems. There have been three top defenders this season who have obviously caused Reke problems -- Thabo Sefalosha, Shane Battier, and John Salmons. Reke seemed to have figured out Thabo by their last meetings, but the other two remain problems in different ways. Salmons has shown perhaps more potential as a ball denier and man to man defender on Reke than any other NBAer (Battier played it more by lurking back in the paint daring him to shot and using his length if he drove). Of course it wasn't just Salmons -- never is anymore with Reke -- as there were normally two guys behind him watching and waiting too. Got to the hoop on the break but blocked by the help from Mbah a Moute, who really needs to shorten his name and I am henceforth goig to refer to as MaM. Then his next drive was cut off and blocked by Bogut. Third drive finally got around Bogut, but thought that he was really having to play and move at a faster pace than he is really comfortable doing in order to get inside before the defense got set and collapsed on him. And for all of that, if he had not got hurt Reke might easily have gotten his 20-5-5 season averages out of this one, and the real story fo why it was such a struggle can be told in the turnover line. Now half of that was the refs -- they called two travels (one of which was blatantly a bad call -- the refs were terrible tonight) and two offensive fouls. But the other 4 were off of various bad passes or stripped drives. Had an early drive and kick out picked off. Swarmed on the drive on the break, beat two, ran over 1 , fouled by the 4th, Missed the long jumper. In the 2nd did a nice lob tipping a ball to Udoka on the offensive boards. Called for a travel across the lane that was questionable. Had Jennings hit back to back threes ove him in the 2nd. Racing take into traffic and fouled and missed both. Racing out on the break again and banged through Ilyasova for the +1. Ball slapped away on the break. Called for a very bad travel call again. Fouled by Salmons doing the smother thing at the close of the 2nd, hit both. Smothered Jennings on the Bucks closing possession of the half. In the 3rd got swithced onto MaM inside, and stopped him. Got called for the offensive foul on the drive and kick. Made a mistake and fouled a three point shooter when he ran out to challenge Delfino. Nice drop off pass on the pick and roll to Hawes. Fouled on the drive and 1 of 2. Called for the offensive foul on the break. Drive and turnover. Started to pick it up somewhat in the 4th as he often does, before getting KO'd. Steal and went full court for the layup. Kept on setting his shooters up in the corners for threes, and they bricked them. Threw up a random three pointer that was not even close. Frustration I guess. Big aggressive drive+1 drawing the 4th on Bogut. Drew the double and nice kick to Hawes for the J. Missed the layup in the last 2 minutes. Turned it over on the drive out of the timeout at the 1:00 mark, then got clobbered in the mouth by an Ilysasova elbow in the last 30 seconds of regulation. Lotta damage, but at least no broken jaw. Would say that this is a night he would like to forget, but I'm kind of hoping he doesn't -- this is one, like the Houston game, for the old processor. One of those that should fuel a competitive person's fire during workouts over the summer.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Bench

Thompson ( C- ) -- missed the long jumper to start. Out of control on the drive, but bailed out by a block call. Got fouled inside by Bogut. Was floating/leaning on a jumper and missed it. Layup to start the 2nd. Drew the foul on Bogut. Added one nice spinning post move in the 4th but not a factor. In in OT when Landry fouled out and immediately grabbed a couple of good d-boards, notable just because our best rebounder had grabbed a grand total of ONE all game until that point. No other OT production, and finished with only 3rebs, 9pts, most of them on FTs.

Cisco ( C+ ) -- out there a lot as one of our scrappers trying to pull this out, but could not hit the big threes to put us over the top. In the early going ran into Casspi in a rebound battle as they collided and lost the ball out of bounds. Ineffective on defense in his first stint, getting beat by Salmons, then switched onto Bogut and overwhelmed there obviousily. In the 2nd hit a little jumper out of the timeout. Did a good job really working Jennings down in the post leading to Landry getting the ball inside, but was slapped out of bounds. Tried to post again, but came up with a wild shot. Hit the side jumper from Hawes --- more his comfort zone. Then got whipped by Salmons again. In the 3rd came up with a nice block from behind on Salmons. Wild drive and dish to McGwire for the jumper to close the quarter. Missed two jumpers on one possession in the early 4th. Hit the jumper off the little curl. Was intentionally fouled at the 24 second mark and knocked down both clutch FTs. Grabbed a good d-board in the first OT. Hit the off balance baseline shot. Pretty decent defense on Jenning's faield attempt at the OT-winning jumper. In the 2nd OT grabbed a strong d-board. Teamed with Udoka to mug Jennings, which deserves some extra credit right there. But missed two big threes we needed down the stretch as we ran out of gas.

Casspi ( D+ ) -- missed the opening jumper, and was one of 4 Kings who missed Reek having Ridnour pinned in the post on one play. In the second really forced a turnaround on the baseline and I think it may have neded up being like one of those Donte errors that costs him the rest of the game. There have been times this season where Omri has simply seemed t say "I am not getting my shots, so I AM going to take this one no matter what". This looked like one of those times. Only 7+ min, and watched the rest of the ay as Udoka and Cisco got the minutes.

Udoka ( B+ ) -- got the bulk of the SF minutes in this one, which is normally an aggravator. But until the limits of his talent got exposed late, did a really nice jobe bringing tough defense on Salmons and doing strong work on the boards, where he grabbed one fewer rebounds (13) than our entire frontcourt (Hawes, Landry, JT = 14 combined). Came in in the second and hit a three from the corner, the only one of those he would hit tonight. Nice job knocking away a pass on the inside to start a break for us. Then a good d-board -- one of many as he had 7 in the first half alone. Tried to thread the needle with a pass, and picked off. In the third played very good defense on Salmons, who was largely shut out until the endagme after a fast start, and came up with a steal breaking up a pass. Fouled inside on the post. In the early 4th bricked the corner three from Reke. Blew another corner three, this one from Cisco. Offenive tip in to put us up 9 at the 2:20 mark. In OT worked back in the post and missed -- not the shot or the offensive option you want. In the 2nd OT, after grabbing 13 for the game, missed the big rebound we needed, down 2, at the 40 second makr. Bucks got it back, and salmons unintentionally banked in the shot to put the Bucks up 4 and finish us. I was stuck between B and B+ here, but really this was a strong effort from an Ime Udoka level player, so went with the higher.

Nocioni ( C ) - In and out of the lineup, and let's just say kept it interesting with his normal array of...stuff. Came in in the 2nd and hit the layup out on the break. Traveled running into traffic. Was back in the 4th and started the quarter with a dumb wild shot. Missed the three off the Reke kick. Forced another missed jumper. Back for Hawes in the 2nd OT briefly seemed poised to play the hero. Forced another shot, but knocked it down to cut the Bucks lead to 3 after we had been fading. Then tied up Jennings on the next Bucks trip + won the tip. Nearly charged, but drew the 5th on Bogut adn it was woohoo! Noc the savior time. Hit only 1 of 2 however, and afetr grabbing an o-reb at the 25 second mark the layup rolled around the entire rim and off. Finsihed things with a terribke bumbling dribble turnover to close things for both him and us. Its always an adventure with Noc.

McGuire ( INC ) -- in for the final play of the first half, then in for the final play of the 3rd. IN the latter "stint", stepped up to hit the jumper from Cisco to close the quarter.

Notes: played excellent defense on the final Bucks possession of regulation, forced the Bucks to run all over the place, take a contested 28 foot three by a non-prolific three point shooter and...they hit it. Sometimes it just isn;t your day.

Last edited:
This one was just sickening in every way imaginable. No chipper here. No idea on theme. If Jenning walked by in front of me right now I'd probbaly knock him into next week. So...

placeholer...

different guns might be a good theme... I HATE MILWAUKEE SOOOOOOO BAD right now. If Reke never got injured then we would've won that for sure.

I thought we played a pretty good game overall. We made our FT's down the stretch, made ONE bad play in regulation. The Illysova three was defended well, and the Bucks beat us in OT without our best player.

All That and now I have a player to dislike. In a sick sorta way its exciting .. cant remember a player as cocky as Jennings after accomplishing to little. He had a great game, but hes just such a tool .. Welcome to the list, Brandon Jennings!

How about some of those funny photos you always see of bucks draped over the front of a VW or a guy on a bike. Or just posing with some good ol' boys with no teeth. No harm intended for our fans who are dentally challenged. :p

Apparently, Tyreke does not partake of a mouth guard - is that right?

I see him chewing gum every second, so it's pretty obvious he does not. I think that he may have learned a lesson with this injury by suffering a concussion and possibly teeth displaced. To me a mouth guard in sports is like a helmet when riding a bicycle. It may not be required by law for an adult, but the day you have a bad spill you'll wish you had one on. By wearing a helmet, the casual bike rider and certainly frequent one has some protection against concussion or much worse. Hope Tyreke is not out of action long and his several injuries not too serious.

What are you guys down about... this was an awesome LIN! Competitive, yet we lost.

Once again this year there are just too many losing teams within 1 game of us... an unnecessary win now will mean the difference between a 6th pick and a 10th in the draft...

Lets just get this rebuilding thing done already!!!... next year is our year!

Apparently, Tyreke does not partake of a mouth guard - is that right?

I see him chewing gum every second, so it's pretty obvious he does not. I think that he may have learned a lesson with this injury by suffering a concussion and possibly teeth displaced. To me a mouth guard in sports is like a helmet when riding a bicycle. It may not be required by law for an adult, but the day you have a bad spill you'll wish you had one on. By wearing a helmet, the casual bike rider and certainly frequent one has some protection against concussion or much worse. Hope Tyreke is not out of action long and his several injuries not too serious.
I don't recall anyone in the NBA using one. The only one that maybe now is Gerald Wallace from all his concusions. They do have to be able to talk on defense.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
What are you guys down about... this was an awesome LIN! Competitive, yet we lost.

Once again this year there are just too many losing teams within 1 game of us... an unnecessary win now will mean the difference between a 6th pick and a 10th in the draft...

Lets just get this rebuilding thing done already!!!... next year is our year!
Bullcrap.

An awesome LIN? Yeah, I'm always really happy when our ROY candidate and the future of the franchise leaves the game with a concussion and possible fractured jaw.

I don't recall anyone in the NBA using one. The only one that maybe now is Gerald Wallace from all his concusions. They do have to be able to talk on defense.
A lot of players in the NBA wear them and have for many years in the league. Currently, LeBron for sure, Dirk N. (more recently), and plenty of others. G. Wallace may be the most obvious only because he has his dangling out of his mouth half the time for some silly reason. J. Nelson of Orlando has the same appearance a lot. I read somewhere that LeBron's is specially molded to his teeth and he can talk through it well enough to be heard. I'm sure other players have similar designs custom fitted for them. I bet at least 20% of NBA players wear a mouth guard and of course plenty of NCAA college b-ball players do as well.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
CP3, Dirk, Landry, Bosh, Beasley, D Will, Steph Curry, Lebron, even Noc sometimes, just to name a few off the top of my head.

Chris Paul uses one.
Kings as a whole played a pretty good game. Even Hawes turned in a decent effort until OT where he wilted. There were players who really showed their heart in this game like Beno and Hawes. There were players like Nocconi who proved they have no future with the Kings (just a mercenary, and has no allegiance to the Kings or Sacramento whatsoever!).

So actually, considering the fact that they went into 2 ot's, and Landry got fouled out despite the fact that Ilyasova of the Bucks was a GOON who fouled everyone in reach yet played the whole game, the Kings still had their shots to win. But the Bucks are playoff bound and the Kings are playing out the string. I think the refs are leaning toward the playoff teams a bit much lately. Don't get me wrong the Refs didn't score 13 points in 2 overtimes. The refs didn't fail to put their foot on the Buck's throat when the were up by 9 in the fourth. So on to the Next game. And it has become TANK TIME for the Kings now. Find a way to lose for that #4 lottery spot for a chance at a Post player to replace Spencer the Stay Puff Marshmallow Man!

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Kings as a whole played a pretty good game. Even Hawes turned in a decent effort until OT where he wilted. There were players who really showed their heart in this game like Beno and Hawes. There were players like Nocconi who proved they have no future with the Kings (just a mercenary, and has no allegiance to the Kings or Sacramento whatsoever!).

So actually, considering the fact that they went into 2 ot's, and Landry got fouled out despite the fact that Ilyasova of the Bucks was a GOON who fouled everyone in reach yet played the whole game, the Kings still had their shots to win. But the Bucks are playoff bound and the Kings are playing out the string. I think the refs are leaning toward the playoff teams a bit much lately. Don't get me wrong the Refs didn't score 13 points in 2 overtimes. The refs didn't fail to put their foot on the Buck's throat when the were up by 9 in the fourth. So on to the Next game. And it has become TANK TIME for the Kings now. Find a way to lose for that #4 lottery spot for a chance at a Post player to replace Spencer the Stay Puff Marshmallow Man!

I was actually pretty happy with Spencer tonight. He was hustling and doing his best to match Bogut blow for blow.

It was Landry and JT who disappointed me. Five stinking rebounds?

Someone, somewhere, the powers that be in charge of all things basketball hate us. Just absolutely despises Sacramento. :(

Here is a grade theme for you Brick, PAIN! HEARTACHE!

Entity

Hall of Famer
Noc looked like he took offense to somebody at the end of the game. i don't think it was Jennings though. Garcia was watching Jennings closely while he was yelling though.

Nice to see Rick Adelman come back to coach the final 2 minutes of the games and INSTEAD of fouling and being up 2 at the end, we allowed two 3 pt shots at the end of regulation to tie the game. Question: why do the Kings coaching staff never make it a free throw contest when up 6 or 3 at the end of games? I refer back to the playoff game vs Spurs when we were the 8 seed & we allowed Berry to hit a 3 to send the game to OT....Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.