[Grades] Grades v. Blazers 4/6/2016

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

Boxscore

Stats: 36min 7pts (3-9, 1-5, 0-0) 1reb 2ast 0stl 1blk 3TO
Summary: came right out and hit a three whiole screaming "I am Rudy Gay!", then remembered I am James Anderson and did little else except blow several drives and breaks..

Anderson ( ) --

Stats: 33min 9pts (3-7, 0-0, 3-5) 5reb 0ast 1stl 3blk 0TO
Summary:had some exciting help blocks inside, but got outworked by Harkless on the glass and seemed to be caught fluttering around ins pace too often

Cauley Stein ( ) --

Stats: 38min 30pts (11-21, 1-4, 7-11) 9reb 1ast 2stl 3blk 6TO
Summary:looked unhappy to start, and after I saw who was playing I knew why. Dominated early play on offense and made some big help blocks, but took a while to find effort on glass.

Cousins ( ) --

Stats: 34min 17pts (6-12, 3-5, 2-2) 6reb 4ast 0stl 0blk 1TO
Summary:continues to display a feel for the game we haven't seen from a SG in years, and against the Blazers size wasn't a factor. McCollum was however.

Curry ( ) --

Stats: 42min 27pts (11-17, 3-4, 2-3) 10reb 12ast 2stl 0blk 2TO
Summary: big big game as the front office almost made the mistake of sitting half the team, but leaving the important guys to win anyway. Outplayed Lillard and played the 2nd offensive weapon.

Rondo ( ) --

Bench

Stats: 27min 7pts (3-6, 1-2, 0-0) 2reb 1ast 1stl 0blk 5TO
Summary: the human tank, you want to tank, just put in Ben. Got it together for one good stretch of shots in early 4th. Otherwise just turned it over.

McLemore ( ) --

Stats: 15min 8pts (3-5, 2-2, 0-0) 0reb 0ast 0stl 0blk 0TO
Summary: hit 2 threes, one in either half, but was nowhere to be found on the glass and we lost a point a minute with him on the floor

Acy ( ) --

Stats: 8min 2pts (1-1, 0-0, 0-0) 0reb 0ast 0stl 0blk 1TO
Summary: seven empty minutes

Butler ( ) --

Stats: 6min 0pts (0-0, 0-0, 0-0) 1reb 0ast 0stl 0blk 1TO
Summary: made it back finally, and he can never know when it will be his last NBA minutes. Did little except get in Cuz's way.

Moreland ( ) --

placeholder...

Is it just me, or did anyone else grow tired of watching layup drills by the Blazers? They scored more of their points from less than five feet than any game I can remember.

I would venture to say that Villanova and UNC play better defense than the Kings.

Bricklayer

Is it just me, or did anyone else grow tired of watching layup drills by the Blazers? They scored more of their points from less than five feet than any game I can remember.

I would venture to say that Villanova and UNC play better defense than the Kings.
We actually outscored them in the paint 44-36. They got 69pts from other parts of the court.

The_Jamal

Hall of Famer
See this as a problem with Curry getting extended minutes at SG going forward. While he's active and a fairly capable defender, he's going to struggle with just about anybody because of how much size he gives up at the position. Guys like Bradley are very much the exception to being able to defend 2 guards, much less at his level.

Let's see - no Gay, no Casspi, no Collison, no Koufos, no Bellinelli. More minutes for everyone. Cuz and Rondo and Curry produced points. Nobody produced rebounds. Moreland actually got a few minutes. Butler, Anderson, Acy, McLemore and Cauley Stein got minutes. We hung in there for a while then came back later before remembering how we usually finish 4th quarters.

Too few rebounds, too many turnovers, enough points but not enough defense. Not a game we were determined to win. Don't like his "tanking" by, I guess, Vlade. But our days and games are near the end. Then we go into the tension and excitement of fr-season - will Karl g or stay, will Cuz go or stay, those are the biggies and they will be followed by many other open questions, Rondo, draft, Curry, Anderson, Gay, McLemore, Collison and then we get into the details. April, May, June, July and if that doesn't d it, August and September. No rest for us.

Bricklayer

By that logic Cousins' entire career has been meaningless, both the good stats and the bad.
To say that is stretching it would be doing that argument entirely too much credit.

ANYBODY who thinks getting 17 technicals in a basketball season even REMOTELY mitigates averaging 27pts 11rebs in a season, something done by exactly six other players in the last 40 years, 5 of whom would be ranked in the Top 20 players of all time (Shaq, Mailman, Hakeem, Barkley, Moses) and one of whom (Webber) is merely the former greatest player ever to play in Sacramento, is, putting it as gently as possible, being a raving, over-emotional missing the forest for the acorn, irrational...the finishing word would not be kind, so I'm going to leave it off.

This player is historic. 17 technicals being seized upon as anything more than a footnote is ridiculous. Its grown into an entirely irrational and unacceptable fascination. Big. ****ing. Deal.

To say that is stretching it would be doing that argument entirely too much credit.

ANYBODY who thinks getting 17 technicals in a basketball season even REMOTELY mitigates averaging 27pts 11rebs in a season, something done by exactly six other players in the last 40 years, 5 of whom would be ranked in the Top 20 players of all time (Shaq, Mailman, Hakeem, Barkley, Moses) and one of whom (Webber) is merely the former greatest player ever to play in Sacramento, is, putting it as gently as possible, being a raving, over-emotional missing the forest for the acorn, irrational...the finishing word would not be kind, so I'm going to leave it off.

This player is historic. 17 technicals being seized upon as anything more than a footnote is ridiculous. Its grown into an entirely irrational and unacceptable fascination. Big. ****ing. Deal.
No I didn't say that 17 technicals mitigate his stats. You claimed that Cousins picking up a technical does is meaningless because (and this is your argument, not mine) it does nothing whatsoever to change the outcome of our season given that the team is not even close to being in a race for the playoffs. Then by that logic all of maybe only 30-40 games of Cousins' entire career have actually been somewhat meaningful. You keep putting Cousins' positives together with all these other greats, yet at the end of the day he has nothing to show for it. Then when he does something negative you claim that it doesn't matter, either because the season is over, the game was already lost, because the franchise is a dump, because the coach is terrible, or my favourite one, that picking up technicals is in fact good because all greats have some sort of attitude problem. In other words, Cousins' bad actions are never his fault, because STATS! You have to take both of them together - if his stats are meaningful then so are his bad plays. That is not to say that you trade him, but it is a legitimate and ongoing criticism of DeMarcus Cousins that one has to properly acknowledge. Your constant shrugging off of anything Cousins does wrong and sweeping it under the carpet is about as entertaining as the Sacramento Kings have been the last 10 years.

K

KingMilz

No I didn't say that 17 technicals mitigate his stats. You claimed that Cousins picking up a technical does is meaningless because (and this is your argument, not mine) it does nothing whatsoever to change the outcome of our season given that the team is not even close to being in a race for the playoffs. Then by that logic all of maybe only 30-40 games of Cousins' entire career have actually been somewhat meaningful. You keep putting Cousins' positives together with all these other greats, yet at the end of the day he has nothing to show for it. Then when he does something negative you claim that it doesn't matter, either because the season is over, the game was already lost, because the franchise is a dump, because the coach is terrible, or my favourite one, that picking up technicals is in fact good because all greats have some sort of attitude problem. In other words, Cousins' bad actions are never his fault, because STATS! You have to take both of them together - if his stats are meaningful then so are his bad plays. That is not to say that you trade him, but it is a legitimate and ongoing criticism of DeMarcus Cousins that one has to properly acknowledge. Your constant shrugging off of anything Cousins does wrong and sweeping it under the carpet is about as entertaining as the Sacramento Kings have been the last 10 years.
per 36mins > HOF Status > 20+/10+>wins

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

I mean, if the whole Blake Griffin punching a Clippers staff member thing can get swept under the rug and replaced by a happy-go-lucky narrative, why not Boogie's techs?

I'm more concerned with who we hire as the next head coach than Cousins' technicals.
Agree but I would put it differently, I'm more concerned with if we are going to hire a new coach and when that may happen. We sweep the technicals under the carpet and we are still stuck with the question of whether or not Cuz is good for the team. I think he is but there are a lot of qualifiers. Someday we should talk about it.

Agree but I would put it differently, I'm more concerned with if we are going to hire a new coach and when that may happen. We sweep the technicals under the carpet and we are still stuck with the question of whether or not Cuz is good for the team. I think he is but there are a lot of qualifiers. Someday we should talk about it.
No we're not. Look at the wins and losses with and without him. It's not even a debate. Don't lower yourself.

I mean, if the whole Blake Griffin punching a Clippers staff member thing can get swept under the rug and replaced by a happy-go-lucky narrative, why not Boogie's techs?
And that's sort of the point isn't it? It shouldn't get swept under the rug, and fans here clearly would be aware of the issue in their assessment of Blake. At the end of the day the conclusion might be the same, that a player is still worth keeping in spite of his flaws, but (at least to me) it's important that one recognizes those flaws rather than simply pretending they don't exist or don't matter at all.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I'm not on the same page as those who think we might be better off with Cousins gone. I don't think there is a discussion to be had.....non-starter topic for me. Build around Cousins with the correct coach. The technicals don't bother me to the point that I think he should be gone. Another non-starter topic for me.

It should be pointed out that Cousins has the lowest TS% of those 16 27/11 seasons with the exception of the non-HOFer Webber (52%). The other 15 seasons by the HOFers you listed average a TS% of 60% which is 6% higher than where Cousins is at this season (54%).

I'm not denying Cousins talent, and he is the furthest thing that is wrong with this team, but looking at raw numbers without efficiency or context is borderline reckless. It's the equivalent to looking at a company's revenue without even bothering to look at the costs.