Good reason to be excited going into training camp

While I have modest expectations of the Kings this year in terms of wins and losses, I also expect them to be much more competitive. Why? Two reasons:

1. Because I think it's reasonable to expect (continued) improvement from all of the King's returning players, except perhaps for Garcia and Nocioni. Of course, one of these years, Martin is also going to plateau, but hopefully that's not this year. And, fortunately, Garcia and Nocioni are still capable of being among the 6-7 most valuable players on the team.

2. Because the team upgraded their overall talent. The most obvious improvement is (or will be) with the addition of Tyreke Evans. Whether he becomes our 1, 2 or 3 (or some hybrid), he certainly gives us a prospective major talent. I think it's also reasonable to think that Casspi could be a very respectable rookie this year - if he gets the needed playing time. We've also upgraded our veteran talent by a notch or two, although I hesitate to even mention that because there are some who think that's the kiss of death. :eek:

The individual improvements and the upgrading of talent could be easily offset if the team isn't coached properly, if the team doesn't play well as a team (please, I'm not going to use the 'c' word here...), and if the team doesn't stay relatively healthy. But at least as far as talent goes, I think we've got good reason to be excited.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
While I have modest expectations of the Kings this year in terms of wins and losses, I also expect them to be much more competitive. Why? Two reasons:

1. Because I think it's reasonable to expect (continued) improvement from all of the King's returning players, except perhaps for Garcia and Nocioni. Of course, one of these years, Martin is also going to plateau, but hopefully that's not this year. And, fortunately, Garcia and Nocioni are still capable of being among the 6-7 most valuable players on the team.

2. Because the team upgraded their overall talent. The most obvious improvement is (or will be) with the addition of Tyreke Evans. Whether he becomes our 1, 2 or 3 (or some hybrid), he certainly gives us a prospective major talent. I think it's also reasonable to think that Casspi could be a very respectable rookie this year - if he gets the needed playing time. We've also upgraded our veteran talent by a notch or two, although I hesitate to even mention that because there are some who think that's the kiss of death. :eek:

The individual improvements and the upgrading of talent could be easily offset if the team isn't coached properly, if the team doesn't play well as a team (please, I'm not going to use the 'c' word here...), and if the team doesn't stay relatively healthy. But at least as far as talent goes, I think we've got good reason to be excited.
To believe that the team will much improved is reasonable. The truth is, that last season when you look at the talent at the beginning of the season, it was better than 17 wins in a season. There were even some hopeful fans that thought we might even make the playoffs. So what happened?

Bad coaching happened. It was a team that was confused from the get go. Then at some point, some of the veterans just quit playing. It was most noticable with Miller. There were many games where he was out fishing somewhere. Theus getting fired and Natt taking over didn't help the continuity, but at least it got some of the younger players into the lineup, along with the trading of Miller and Salmons.

Long story short, the team should have been better than it was. It should be better this year. Its a team of young hungry players that want to compete. There's a lot of undeveloped talent there waiting to be tapped. So I lay it at the feet of Westphal. If he's capable of bringing this team together, installing discipline, and continuity in their play, there might be a remarkable improvement. Perhaps even doubling their win total. But whatever the win total, if they play hard and compete for 48 minutes every night, then I'll be happy. And, if they do that, there's no doubt the win/loss record will improve dramaticaly.:)

To believe that the team will much improved is reasonable. The truth is, that last season when you look at the talent at the beginning of the season, it was better than 17 wins in a season. There were even some hopeful fans that thought we might even make the playoffs. So what happened?

Bad coaching happened. It was a team that was confused from the get go. Then at some point, some of the veterans just quit playing. It was most noticable with Miller. There were many games where he was out fishing somewhere. Theus getting fired and Natt taking over didn't help the continuity, but at least it got some of the younger players into the lineup, along with the trading of Miller and Salmons.

Long story short, the team should have been better than it was. It should be better this year. Its a team of young hungry players that want to compete. There's a lot of undeveloped talent there waiting to be tapped. So I lay it at the feet of Westphal. If he's capable of bringing this team together, installing discipline, and continuity in their play, there might be a remarkable improvement. Perhaps even doubling their win total. But whatever the win total, if they play hard and compete for 48 minutes every night, then I'll be happy. And, if they do that, there's no doubt the win/loss record will improve dramaticaly.:)
I certainly wasnt amoung that group. I anticipated a really bad year. We had a backup point guard as our starter. Our best player missed 50 games. We had sub par coaching. All of that proved to be the combination of death.
Looking forward to the upcoming season we actually have a solid looking starting 5. If this team can improve rebounding i think we'll see alot more wins.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Our best player missed 50 games.

Who dat?

I am assuming Kevin right? But he only missed 31.

But I agree with the general sentiment that it might be possible to double the wins this season...if that is even a good thing at this point. But then again, last preseason when John Hollinger wrote a very detailed analysis of the Kings and predicted that we would win only 23 games, I trashed him pretty hard and predicted it would be closer to 33. Well he got me that time, the little numbers assessed wannabe accountant stats geek.

One thing to really watch out for this season is injuries. Kevin has looked very prone the last couple of years, if either of our big kids go down up front we have no size at all to replace them with, and if Reke goes down we're right back to Beno world at the point. 4 of our 5 starting positions have big falloffs/red flags.

Last edited:
Who dat?

I am assuming Kevin right? But he only missed 31.

But I agree with the general sentiment that it might be possible to double the wins this season...if that is even a good thing at this point. But then again, last preseason when John Hollinger wrote a very detailed analysis of the Kings and predicted that we would win only 23 games, I trashed him pretty hard and predicted it would be closer to 33. Well he got me that time, the little numbers assessed wannabe accountant stats geek.

One thing to really watch out for this season is injuries. Kevin has looked very prone the last couple of years, if either of our big kids go down up front we have no size at all to replace them with, and if Reke goes down we're right back to Beno world at the point. 4 of our 5 starting positions have big falloffs/red flags.
What do you mean here? Do you mean that the reserves for 4 of our 5 spots are major drop offs? If thats the case then id disagree and say that 2 out of 5 have major drop offs. The Kings have a solid 7-8 man rotation. mason, garcia, udrih, rodriguez are all servicable off the bench. If you consider those to be major drop offs/red flags then you could point to most teams in the NBA and say the same thing.

A

AriesMar27

What do you mean here? Do you mean that the reserves for 4 of our 5 spots are major drop offs? If thats the case then id disagree and say that 2 out of 5 have major drop offs. The Kings have a solid 7-8 man rotation. mason, garcia, udrih, rodriguez are all servicable off the bench. If you consider those to be major drop offs/red flags then you could point to most teams in the NBA and say the same thing.
i think what he meant was that sf is equally weak.... there isnt much of a drop off in talent if nocioni or garcia get injured. anyone can come in and score 11 points even greene and casspi. if they combine for 11 then we still dont miss out on anything.

I feel just the opposite. I'm not excited about the start of the season. This is the first time. I'm usually optomistic and cant wait.

Last year it was painful to watch. Too much one on one. I see the same this year. I dont see the assist to turnovers improving and they still don't have wing players that can get the ball in the post to Hawes and JT.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

That's what I meant. 1) We have no backup bigs taller than 6'8". One major injury up front and we lose 4 inches and are small all season. 2) If Kevin goes down Cisco is of course a solid backup, but you lose somewhere in the range of 1/3 of your scoring from the position, as well as your only proven bench guy (as he's now starting -- suppose Mason could make the team and fill the role). And if Reke goes down, you are basically back to the same lineup that won 17 games a year ago -- we really did next to nothing this summer besides take our draft picks and go home. SF is the only position we can lose somebody without it changing the whole team dynamic. Its one thing if your "team dynamic" would win 60 game if healthy -- then you lose somebody and maybe you are only a 55 win team without them. But when you are like us, and just teetering right on the brink of being Bottom 5 in the league again, losing one of our pieces could quickly sink us entirely.

We've pretty much got 4 players of note/hope, two roleplaying SFs, and a whole lot of questions.

P.S. Just as an amusing aside/random jab, I should note that Jerry Reynolds' constant line about "you can't rebuild through the draft" or whatever is rather directly belied by our own team -- of our Top 6 players you have our top draft picks from 5 of the last 6 years (Kevin '04, Cisco '05, Spencer '07, Jason '08, Reke '09) and one random piece in Noc.

Last edited:
I think we actually improved with the additions of Brock, Reke, Casspi, Mason, and May and the subtractions of Miller, Salmons, Mikki, Bobby, and those part-timers from the Bulls.

1.) We have gotten so much younger now. And I would expect more energy and less of the lazy asses.

2.) We have gained better guard rotation which should improve main issues of last season mainly our perimeter defense(esp. guarding the 3), turnovers, and assist. Last season, Beno was our main guy at the point with a bunch of scrubs backing him up. Now we have Reke, and Sergio who are both capable to challenge at the point which puts Beno (if he's not traded) at the right place, a hopefully solid backup PG. Mason is another wing player who will be a durable backup.

3.) We'll be fielding legit sizes at the SF and PF spot with Thompson, Brock, May, Casspi, Noc, and Greene. Last season, we have to rely on Salmons who at 6'6" is forced to guard the 6'8" and 6'9" SFs. Salmons is a good defender but defending the 2 not the 3 is his best.

4.) A veteran coach will head this team and no longer any first timers and pretenders. I expect more respect from the players to fully implement Westphal's system.

5.) Other than maybe Reke and Garcia. I don't see any more possible ballhogs. But definitely Garcia and Reke is less of a ballhog compared to Salmons and Artest of the past. So maybe we will see a much improved team basketball this time.

6.) There's nowhere to go but up. And if we improved this season. Next season will only take us further with a possible 25M to be shed from payroll of this season. With cap, we may get at least 17M space which is good enough to bring move savvy stars at the same time still having Hawes, Thompson, Martin and Reke.

can not wait for training camp to start, its so true that we cant get any worse then last season. We'll have much better coaching thank god and a group of young guys who really want to prove themselves

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I'm just glad TDOS is over!

Compared to last year, I'm definitely optimistic. I think we could get 25-35 wins. Thirty-five wins would mean the Kings would have no serious injuries during the season, especially at the center and power forward positions. Unlike last year, I expect very few games where this team just doesn't compete. Training camp will be very competitive at the point guard and wing positions, which will make the Kings more competitive when the season begins. We have more athleticism on this team than any team in memory. That includes the Golden Year's team. That is all to the good. Athleticism, plus competitiveness, plus good coaching, is going to yield a fun product in my opinion. Can't wait...