[Game] Game 41: Scrmnt Kngs @ Prtlnd Trlblzrs

How excited are you about the new ESC opening in 2016?

• Excited

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Very excited

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Very excited

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Very excited

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Very excited

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Very excited

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I am already waiting in line for tickets

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I am Vivek Ranadive and I approve this message.

Votes: 30 65.2%

• Total voters
Here goes Leslie trying to defend her beloved boss

brickl2011 ‏@brickl2011 6h
@lesliempr Per SI power rankings: Kings’ win% under Corbin when Boogie plays: .384 Kings’ win% under Malone when Cousins played: .600

Leslie Moore ‏@lesliempr 49m
@brickl2011 Does that take into account the NUMBER of games? 8 as opposed to 80? Honest Q.

#Paceramento ‏@HereWeBoogie 41m
@lesliempr i believe it is this season only

Leslie Moore ‏@lesliempr 22m
@HereWeBoogie Then that.....makes sense?

#Paceramento ‏@HereWeBoogie 16m
@lesliempr Well the team has gotten worse since the coaching change that's what it shows, and it's a fact

Leslie Moore ‏@lesliempr 12m
@HereWeBoogie I disagree. But respect your opinion.

o_O

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

@lesliempr Per SI power rankings: Kings’ win% under Corbin when Boogie plays: .384 Kings’ win% under Malone when Cousins played: .600

@brickl2011 Does that take into account the NUMBER of games? 8 as opposed to 80? Honest Q.

@lesliempr Well the team has gotten worse since the coaching change that's what it shows, and it's a fact

o_O
No wonder the Kings have sucked at communicating with the fans since the Malone firing.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
The Kings front office has .... lucked into signing Darren Collison, who has turned into a legitimate starting point guard despite almost everyone's arguments to the contrary
To be fair, usually this is called "being right". I mean everybody argued against Copernicus too, but when heliocentrism turned out to be right nobody accused him of getting lucky.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
To be fair, usually this is called "being right". I mean everybody argued against Copernicus too, but when heliocentrism turned out to be right nobody accused him of getting lucky.
Yeah, perhaps I was being a bit strong with that one there. Overall, though, we can't say that the Kings front office has been an overwhelming net positive as we can with the 49ers.

Yeah, perhaps I was being a bit strong with that one there. Overall, though, we can't say that the Kings front office has been an overwhelming net positive as we can with the 49ers.
yea. The 49ers went to a Superbowl and 3 straight championship games. Kings haven't made the playoffs in almost a decade and counting

o_O
the latest:

Leslie Moore ‏@lesliempr 22m22 minutes ago
I don't have the energy for your negativity. I support our coach & our team. The end.

Fundamentalism. "Vivek said it. I believe it. That settles it."

Outright PR disaster and they just keep doubling down and doubling down and doubling down again.

K

KingMilz

Isolation basketball, terrible shot selection, non forced turnovers, terrible half court basketball yeap we are the Sacramento Kings

Nothing she said was wrong....
So a clear winning % variance doesn't suggest the team is worse under Corbin.

Which says nothing about the continued arrogance from the higher ups that they somehow care more about the team than the angry fans.

Bottom line, you already lack fans around here. Not sure jumping on the Leslie bandwagon when she had clearly been blundering is the best call.

The "opinion" of somebody whose job it is to market the boss's opinion... means squat. She's really neither here nor there to me - but I think it is funny how she is trying to hammer home the notion that Corbin is an upgrade and the team has not deteriorated. That is truly hilarious but if you say it often enough maybe people will believe it.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Yes except in this case she actually was wrong.
Going just by the tweets that were posted here (and I'm not on social media, and wouldn't be following her, anyway, so I don't know what else she might have said), the facts that she cited were factually correct, just lacking in context, and not very useful, other than to justify her incorrect opinion.

Re: Leslie Moore - she's doing her job, but she should probably sit out a few battles.

Re: Pace - last night was the team's 5th fastest pace under Corbin, and the 2nd worst performance by Offensive Rating. Against the Clips, it was the team's 5th slowest pace under Corbin, but the 2nd best performance by Offensive Rating. Against Miami, they had an extremely slow pace, and the offense was terrible. Looking back through the game logs, this roller coaster effect occurs regularly.

So the best you can say is that increasing the pace is still an unproven concept, at least when it comes to this roster.

P

Pace

Re: Leslie Moore - she's doing her job, but she should probably sit out a few battles.

Re: Pace - last night was the team's 5th fastest pace under Corbin, and the 2nd worst performance by Offensive Rating. Against the Clips, it was the team's 5th slowest pace under Corbin, but the 2nd best performance by Offensive Rating. Against Miami, they had an extremely slow pace, and the offense was terrible. Looking back through the game logs, this roller coaster effect occurs regularly.

So the best you can say is that increasing the pace is still an unproven concept, at least when it comes to this roster.
I don't think you can draw conclusions by cherry picking a few games. Not saying you're right or wrong (though I disagree) but I'm not sure I agree with how you draw conclusions.

P

Pace

Yeah, well, that's the tricky thing about spin doctors: they rarely lie outright. They just hide behind empty platitudes, and facts that are rarely relevant to what's going on.
Not saying Leslie doesn't have a bias, but I don't see how it's different than the sky is falling crowd. Like people saying picking up collision was "luck" or resigning Demarcus was nothing.

Nothing she said was wrong....
Yes she did say something wrong.

Someone said they team has gotten worse since the firing and she disagreed.

That is WRONG. 5-12 is not better than 11-13 and it sure as hell ain't better than the record Malone had with Boogie at 9-6. You can't 'disagree' about a number. One is larger than the other. Malone's winning % in this case.

Perhaps to a pedant it's not a lie. But it's sure close.

It's not an opinion. The team is worse. In every way.

I can't believe they let Leslie post on Twitter. Way to make everything worse.

Ps-the sky already fell. Now they're just trying to pick up the pieces.

Last edited:
Leslie's Twitter posts and PDA's radio appearance have helped form an image of a stubborn front office at war with its fan base. It just feels like Vivek/Pete/Leslie have decided to completely pin themselves into this narrow bunker.

I really don't see how they get out of it now. They can't keep picking fights with the fans (or allowing themselves to be baited into then)

I don't think you can draw conclusions by cherry picking a few games. Not saying you're right or wrong (though I disagree) but I'm not sure I agree with how you draw conclusions.
Of course, thus my concluding sentence:
During Corbin's tenure, they are all over the place as far as pace and offensive output from game to game. The one somewhat consistent measure has been bad defense though.

And to avoid cherry picking a few games, here are the stats for the team pre and post-Malone:

Under Malone:
ORtg: 103.6
DRtg: 104.2
NetRtg: -0.6
Pace: 95.70

Under Corbin:
ORtg: 102.8
DRtg: 107.2
NetRtg: -4.4
Pace: 98.77

The pace is up significantly. The overall offensive output has declined slightly, and the defense has been far worse.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Not saying Leslie doesn't have a bias, but I don't see how it's different than the sky is falling crowd. Like people saying picking up collision was "luck" or resigning Demarcus was nothing.
  1. It was 'luck' in the sense that Collison is punching way above his weight class. We're not talking about a guy who had never been given a chance, and just needed minutes to prove himself. Collison came into this season as a five-year veteran and, more to the point, he was a guy who had started on a playoff team, and he had never been any kind of way close to this productive. Nobody who isn't talking out of his ass can legitimately say that they saw 17 and 6 coming.
  2. Re-signing Cousins was a 'nothing' move in the sense that it was a no-brainer. Re-signing Cousins doesn't prove that you're a good GM, it just proves that you have actually watched Cousins play, and have at least completed the eighth grade. Even David Kahn could have gotten that right.

They will sell those lower level seats next year at half price, to the chagrin of the STH who are writing the big checks now.

Those who don't remember their history are condemned to repeat it. Coupon below was distributed at a recent game. Way to protect the brand Kings!!!

bending STH's over w/o no lube. OUCH!

1. It was 'luck' in the sense that Collison is punching way above his weight class. We're not talking about a guy who had never been given a chance, and just needed minutes to prove himself. Collison came into this season as a five-year veteran and, more to the point, he was a guy who had started on a playoff team, and he had never been any kind of way close to this productive. Nobody who isn't talking out of his ass can legitimately say that they saw 17 and 6 coming.
  2. Re-signing Cousins was a 'nothing' move in the sense that it was a no-brainer. Re-signing Cousins doesn't prove that you're a good GM, it just proves that you have actually watched Cousins play, and have at least completed the eighth grade. Even David Kahn could have gotten that right.
well... given that david kahn initially passed on demarcus cousins in favor of wesley f***ing johnson, i'm not sure this is a valid claim...

:p

If you only understood the training NBA refs go through. Look, there were bad calls, but it wasn't what COST us the game. This game is EXTREMELY TOUGH to officiate. It's all about angles. I guarantee if the official that called the offensive foul was on the other side, there would have been no call. There is a flaw in the system, for sure, but there isn't a flaw in the officials. They need to come up with a better way to cover the court. There is actually talk about having 4 officials, so both sides of the court would be covered by 2 officials at all times.
I can agree with some of this, specifically bad angles putting refs into a bad spot to make the call. That being said if the refs didn't cost the kings this game, they certainly put an end to their chances by the last two jokes of calls on Cousins. With the way he was getting mauled up to that point and them calling none of it, they needed to just lay off the whistle all together. Those two calls say one of two things to me: they are not good referees due to their inconsistency, or they let their dislike of Demarcus sway the way they call the game. In either circumstance they were pretty awful, regardless of the difficulty that comes with officiating NBA basketball. They chose to be referees, they know the difficulty of the job, do the job better or IMO they aren't good at what they do.