Free Agency Thread - 2018

When it comes to LaVine he's the first player I have no feeling on in regards to if I want it or not, on one hand our talent level to me is one of the worst in the NBA and he is talented/young on the other hand I have always questioned his heart/IQ so I really have no idea at this point if I want this or not.

This is how the last big FA signing during a rebuild went:

"The Kings traded guard George Hill to the Cleveland Cavaliers as part of a multi-team deal in which they received guard Iman Shumpert from Cleveland, forward Joe Johnson from Utah, a 2020 second-round draft pick from Miami and, according to league sources, a little more than $3 million in cash.
The Kings also waived second-year center Georgios Papagiannis, the 13th pick in the 2016 draft, to create a roster spot because they were already at the league maximum of 15 players."

So tell me: was that money well spent?

People need to calm down. Here are his career stats:
28.7mins: 14.0pts 3.2asts 3.0rebs 0.8stls on 43.7/37.3/82.0

Positives
  • 23 YEARSOLD! He's younger than Bogdan, Buddy, WCS, and Mason. He's only 2 weeks older than Jackson.
  • Great size. He can play the flex SG/PG/SF positions at 6'6 195lbs with a 6'10 wingpsan.
  • Ball handling. One of the better ball handling SGs in the league
  • Shot creating. Would instantly become the best slasher on our team. He has creative ways to get off his shot, scoring is no concern for him
  • Passing. Him being a scoring blackhole is the biggest misconception I've seen on this board. He has a career 3.2asts! Even in his horrid year in Chicago last year, you know what stayed consistent? His passing ability! FUN FACT, he has about the same APG and asts% as Bogdan Bogdanovic.
  • Athleticism and upside. He has elite upside. We saw a lot of it last year in Minnesota where he averaged 18.9ppg in 52 games.

Positives
  • 23 YEARSOLD! He's younger than Bogdan, Buddy, WCS, and Mason. He's only 2 weeks older than Jackson.
  • Great size. He can play the flex SG/PG/SF positions at 6'6 195lbs with a 6'10 wingpsan.
  • Shot creating. Would instantly become the best slasher on our team. He has creative ways to get off his shot, scoring is no concern for him
  • Passing. Him being a scoring blackhole is the biggest misconception I've seen on this board. He has a career 3.2asts! Even in his horrid year in Chicago last year, you know what stayed consistent? His passing ability! FUN FACT, he has about the same APG and asts% as Bogdan Bogdanovic.
  • Athleticism and upside. He has elite upside. We saw a lot of it last year in Minnesota where he averaged 18.9ppg in 52 games.
In addition, I don't understand the narrative where Buddy or Bogdan will be traded. There are plenty of minutes to go around between the 2-3 positions, and LaVine and Bogdan can also play PG on offense.

LaVine does have a lot to prove, but he definitely has the tools to be a border-line All Star in a few years... or he could be a disaster, but I'm leaning toward the positive right now. ;)

Positives
Dude, do you not understand it isn't the age, but the miles? Most players have established who they are by their third or fourth season. The vast majority of players do not see any significant improvement in years 5+. This guy is coming off an injury and entering his FIFTH season. He isn't going to get a ton better, despite his age.

He also is on a four year deal during a rebuild, meaning the Kings won't even start to compete for a playoff spot until their core gets to their 3rd or 4th season and the titans of the west decline. This means they wasted cap space where probably 3 of his 4 seasons under contract will be in the lottery. So what will the team have gotten for their investment?

He'll also be taking away minutes from guys they aren't paying 20 million a year and can be just as good.

There's literally no upside. The best case scenario is he helps the team win a few more games...so they will win 40 instead of 35! START THE PARADE! Such a dumb move. The kings will get nothing out of this.

well, at least the advanced stats next season will measure their impact in a more similar situation for Buddy, Bogdan, and LaVine so the comparison of the said stats will be more applicable :p

Let's give Zach a little benefit of the doubt with the injuries he's had. Sure, that's a wee bit of a worry. But if he is seriously injured again that is on Vlade and the medical staff at this point.

I'm not judging Zach until he has a full season at full health.

Again, this is on Vlade so hopefully he received some really really good medical info to do this.

Dude, do you not understand it isn't the age, but the miles? Most players have established who they are by their third or fourth season. The vast majority of players do not see any significant improvement in years 5+. This guy is coming off an injury and entering his FIFTH season. He isn't going to get a ton better, despite his age.

He also is on a four year deal during a rebuild, meaning the Kings won't even start to compete for a playoff spot until their core gets to their 3rd or 4th season and the titans of the west decline. This means they wasted cap space where probably 3 of his 4 seasons under contract will be in the lottery. So what will the team have gotten for their investment?

He'll also be taking away minutes from guys they aren't paying 20 million a year and can be just as good.

There's literally no upside. The best case scenario is he helps the team win a few more games...so they will win 40 instead of 35! START THE PARADE! Such a dumb move. The kings will get nothing out of this.
Do you realize that Zach has gotten better in every single year except last year? Even if you didn't watch him, just look at his stats. Zach has iproved every single year in the NBA.

You want to know his stats for his 3rd season where he played 52 games? 18.9pts 3.0asts 3.4rebs 45.9/38.7/83.6 If that's the production we're getting next year, then he already surpasses his value.

How is Zach wasted cap? He's right around the same age as our young players.

Who is he taking minutes away from? Frank Mason? There's plenty of minutes for Buddy and Bogdan.

There's no upside?? dude. Have you not see Zach LaVine play at all? He's filled with nothing but upside.