Free Agency Open Thread (NBA and Kings!)

Is brooklyn really that much better? I understand NYC but Brooklyn? I'm not from there so I honestly don't know. NBAwise I understand going east cuz the west is gonna be crazy.
The Nets are not better but you know one thing to consider. Otto is 24 years old. I can bet his deal is 3+ 1. He can opt out in three seasons at age 27 and sign 5 year 250 M contract. Let's just presume the max jumps like 40M to 50M per year by the year 2020. So his agent is thinking about the real money to be made with the next contract. Well that max deal is somewhere he is not second fiddle to Wall and Beal and his usage is over 15%. That's playing in a weaker conference where he can average 20 PPG and get next maximum contract. I don't know if these are the main variables that went into his decision but I know that is how an agent think making 3-4% of the contract value. The agent is thinking about the lifetime value of his client and how to maximize it. Otto could have put up big numbers here too, perhaps our contingent did not do enough of a sales job.

You think it's a mistake. I (and a lot of others) think it's a BIG step in the right direction. We'll just have to see how it plays out. I do find it interesting, however, that the vast majority of opinions throughout the league are applauding Vlade and the Kings.
right. people are acting as if we've just signed Chris Paul or something lol Hill isn't getting us 35 wins folks. We'll have another top 5 pick or so

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
The Nets are not better but you know one thing to consider. Otto is 24 years old. I can bet his deal is 3+ 1. He can opt out in three seasons at age 27 and sign 5 year 250 M contract. Let's just presume the max jumps like 40M to 50M per year by the year 2020. So his agent is thinking about the real money to be made with the next contract. Well that max deal is somewhere he is not second fiddle to Wall and Beal and his usage is over 15%. That's playing in a weaker conference where he can average 20 PPG and get next maximum contract. I don't know if these are the main variables that went into his decision but I know that is how an agent think making 3-4% of the contract value. The agent is thinking about the lifetime value of his client and how to maximize it. Otto could have put up big numbers here too, perhaps our contingent did not do enough of a sales job.
He definitely probably has a better shot at getting a better next deal in Brooklyn than he will in Sac. I'll give him that.

I also wonder though at 27 if he's still a max guy. Right now he's being maxed out on unfulfilled potential.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
So are we done or still some moves to make?
Carmichael Dave just spent an hour sitting next to Vlade on a plane. (He posted a picture.) According to Dave, while there are still some small moves to be made, the blockbuster stuff is over (I'm paraphrasing). Of course, considering how things have gone thus far, that could be code for "Lebron is coming to Sacramento!" :p

Fleenor‏@King49er

Replying to @CarmichaelDave
Is Vlade done Dave? Hour long plane ride, I know you gotta know something. Drop us a hint lol

Carmichael Dave ‏Verified account@CarmichaelDave 33m33 minutes ago
My guess is they aren't done. But nothing super crazy. Still need 3 help

That seems likely but also seems like the kind of mid-grade signing that might screw up our draft order without lending real value that I've defended today's other deals as not being.
People need to forget about "screwing up the draft order" angle.

Even with the signings, this team is 30 win team at best. That is absolute best. There is a clear plan for this team going into the season.

Veterans are there to start the season and get kids hungry for some minutes. As the season progresses the kids will start getting more and more minutes. This team will still lose a lot and end up with a top 5 pick no doubt. Veterans will get rested as the season progresses and kids will be getting more minutes as they have this past season. With a top 5 pick, Kings will continue to add high end talent while still building a culture of hard work and playing hard and playing to win every game.

The veterans are not that good that they will make a massive difference to a win total, especially in a stacked Western Conference. Kings will still lose plenty but they will lose the right way and the tank job by the front office and the coaching staff will continue especially in the second half of the season.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
People need to forget about "screwing up the draft order" angle.

Even with the signings, this team is 30 win team at best. That is absolute best. There is a clear plan for this team going into the season.

Veterans are there to start the season and get kids hungry for some minutes. As the season progresses the kids will start getting more and more minutes. This team will still lose a lot and end up with a top 5 pick no doubt. Veterans will get rested as the season progresses and kids will be getting more minutes as they have this past season. With a top 5 pick, Kings will continue to add high end talent while still building a culture of hard work and playing hard and playing to win every game.

The veterans are not that good that they will make a massive difference to a win total, especially in a stacked Western Conference. Kings will still lose plenty but they will lose the right way and the tank job by the front office and the coaching staff will continue especially in the second half of the season.
I guess what I am saying is I don't see CJ adding much value. I think the other two signings clearly do.

Yes, we need to bring someone in to fight for the 3 spot if we don't want to roll the dice with what we have (fair enough). But if we do that, maybe it's for salary relief and a pick, or something rather than just signing a middle of the road guy in his 30s.

Rumor is if wiz match nets go after kcp
If I was Wizards I would try to work a S&T include BOS, get Crowder to WAS to replace Otto. And require BKN to take bad contract (Mahimi) to get Otto. Otherwise you match. But if you can do both of these things, then you come out ahead. Save and create cap space and chase Boogie next summer.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
If I was Wizards I would try to work a S&T include BOS, get Crowder to WAS to replace Otto. And require BKN to take bad contract (Mahimi) to get Otto. Otherwise you match. But if you can do both of these things, then you come out ahead. Save and create cap space and chase Boogie next summer.
Granted he can't officially sign until the 6th, but since he "agreed to terms" it seems the S&T ship has sailed.

Granted he can't officially sign until the 6th, but since he "agreed to terms" it seems the S&T ship has sailed.
I don't know about that. Millsap agreed to DEN then he was part of a three way trade with ATL-LAC. Isaiah agreed to go to PHX then we got scraps and trade exception. I don't know about the mechanics but I think there's some flexibility there.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I don't know about that. Millsap agreed to DEN then he was part of a three way trade with ATL-LAC. Isaiah agreed to go to PHX then we got scraps and trade exception. I don't know about the mechanics but I think there's some flexibility there.
Technically the S&T dies when they sign the tender, which I don't think he can legally do yet. Washington would have to put together the deal before Thursday.