Forget Free Agents, if you had a choice Special K or Mo Evans to start at SG.

Who Should Start a SG ?

• Mo Evans

Votes: 61 57.5%
  • Special K

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • The Cat

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • FA SG

Votes: 29 27.4%

• Total voters
Iv been thinking, i like these guys, with a solid cast around them, all they have to do is put effort like they did when they came on the court this past season , i know Mo is a FA , but im sure he will be back, so my question is who would you want to start if you had the choice out of these two ?

My pick would be Mo, we need a guy like him, works hard on both ends up the floor, goes high for boards, and is getting better at his inside and outside game...

I'm not sure yet. I think Cat will be gone probably. I love Mo, but he's not a starter at this point IMHO. Kevin Martin may develop, but less a starter than Mo and may never be more than a good role player. That leaves me with FA, (short of a Cat sign & trade) which I am leaning toward. hmmmm.....

We have only seen the tip of the iceberg where Special K is concerned. I'm really looking forward to watching this kid mature into the player I think he is going to be.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
I will let Adelman decide the starting lineup so no vote from me. However, I don't think either player is quite ready for the starting lineup. Mo brings fantastic energy off the bench...exactly where we need him. Of the two, however, he is closer to being ready for a starting position. Mo played overseas (Italy?) so he was not really a rookie to pro basketball last year. Just a rookie to the NBA. He did not play like a rookie who holds back, but more like a player who has gained veteran confidence.

Special K has only seen a few minutes in a few games. That is Adelman's pattern. So, it is hard to see how he would play with the starters. I still believe he has the talent to play with them, he just has not yet had the opportunity. Another thing about Kevin........it looked to me like he was holding back last year. By that I mean, he was often deferring to veterans. Some guys show respect for veterans that way. If that is the case, then we haven't even come close to seeing what he is capable of doing. My gut tells me that he will be a different player next year, and much improved.

Another thing about Kevin........it looked to me like he was holding back last year. By that I mean, he was often deferring to veterans. Some guys show respect for veterans that way. If that is the case, then we haven't even come close to seeing what he is capable of doing. My gut tells me that he will be a different player next year, and much improved.
Exactly right. He said he didn't want to step on anyones toes. I think he will be a LOT more aggresive next year.

It wouldn't bother me at all to have the Kings attempt to develop one or both of these guys. We gave up Gerald, Hedo, and Barnes. Why not keep it in the family for once. Give the young guys a chance. We have House and Jackson also. Do we really want to bring in another Mobley, or Gary Payton, or some other veteran that will be traded away or retire soon anyway.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
quick dog said:
It wouldn't bother me at all to have the Kings attempt to develop one or both of these guys. We gave up Gerald, Hedo, and Barnes. Why not keep it in the family for once. Give the young guys a chance. We have House and Jackson also. Do we really want to bring in another Mobley, or Gary Payton, or some other veteran that will be traded away or retire soon anyway.
I agree, quick dog. We are seeing some real potential in our young guys. I would love to see development of those players.

Look at what the Dallas rookies did last year & this year. You can get very good results out of talented rookies - IF YOU PLAY THEM!!!

This is the ONLY knock I have on Adelman; he seems to abhor developing young talent :p. Hopefully, Yoda gives him a workover, because I think Martin has a load of potential, and the ability to be a much more complete player than Mo. I like Mo as a solid backup that brings energy and defense.

I don't know enough about basketball to assess these guys properly, but I do know that young people are usually underestimated. Every great player has to start somewhere, so why not here. I suppose if our rookies were like LeBron James or Amare Stoudemeyer (sp), nobody would have any doubts. Well, they are not, but I think our young guys are worth keeping for a while.

Last edited:
The first time I saw Mo play, I thought that he is what we all claim to want. Athletic, able to rebound and can actually finish. Unfortunately, that means he's probably outta here!

Bballkingsrock said:
I think Maurice Evans plays better off the bench. I think a FA SG will do.
yeah. i voted FA SG. mo evans IS NOT a starter. he's an okay bench player but that's about it. he had one good game in the playoffs coming off the bench. if people want him to start then i guess their expectations aren't as high as mine for next season.

Bring Evans back, but not as a starter. He is definitely not consistent or good enough to be a starter on a very good team like I'd like the Kings to be. I'm surprised that this many people think he should be starting over Mobley or a free agent.

If I had to choose between Evans and Martin starting, I'd say Evans now, but I hope neither of them have to start next year.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I'd like to see Evans starting next year. He's got the heart and the desire to play defense. Not to mention he can actually get up off the floor for dunks and rebounds. He's not a long-term solution, but he's got potential. And with the added bonus that he's our guy, not somebody else's, so we've got the upperhand already. The more guys you can develop within your own system, the better chance you'll have of making it all the way. Just look at the Spurs. Mobley's history. He's a good individual player, but I doubt at this late stage in his career that he'll suddenly become a great team player too.

Kingsgurl said:
We have only seen the tip of the iceberg where Special K is concerned. I'm really looking forward to watching this kid mature into the player I think he is going to be.
With AMPLE court time, Kev will meet or exceed EVERYONE"S expectations !!!
He and Mo on the court together (I didn't say starting together) isn't all that an unattractive thought. From experience watching him play, I know that the longer Kev is on the court, the more effective he becomes. He has the ability to take over a game. Wait and see.........

P.S. I may be a little biased, but "YOU AIN"T SEEN NOTHIN' YET !!":D

hrdboild

Staff member
I like Kevin as a backup to Mo because Mo brings defensive intensity while Kevin brings offense. They balance each other's strengths. If you want to develop young players, you have to play them. Maybe it would be for the best if we didn't sign any free agent SGs. Rick Adelman likes skilled players. I think he will involve Kevin a lot more next season.

I picked FA because SK needs alot of work. He has to improve that ugly shot of his. He needs better form. I don't see how that ugly thing can even go in the basket.It gives me shivers thinking about it. ok its not that bad but you get the point:p

Mo will be a great backup as he gets better and better. His shot isnt half bad and he has those hops.

Both will be descent role players on this team in the coming years.

Last edited:

hrdboild

Staff member
His shot may look ugly, but he managed to score 25 ppg in college. Just because he misses some shots in garbage time doesn't mean his jumper isn't consistent. And consistency is really the measure of how good your shooting form is. Well, the biggest measure anyway. He could certainly improve, but most players coming into the league can improve in that area.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think there's room on the team for both Evans and Martin, but if forced to choose, I would rather give the starting slot at the 2 to Evans and allow Martin some more time to grow and develop, especially for the time being.

While the off guard is an area we need to discuss, I'm more concerned quite frankly about the PF position. So, I think I'll start a poll...

;)

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
VF21 said:
I think there's room on the team for both Evans and Martin, but if forced to choose, I would rather give the starting slot at the 2 to Evans and allow Martin some more time to grow and develop, especially for the time being.

While the off guard is an area we need to discuss, I'm more concerned quite frankly about the PF position.
My feelings exactly - I think the Cat is gone in FA.

hrdboild said:
His shot may look ugly, but he managed to score 25 ppg in college. Just because he misses some shots in garbage time doesn't mean his jumper isn't consistent. And consistency is really the measure of how good your shooting form is. Well, the biggest measure anyway. He could certainly improve, but most players coming into the league can improve in that area.

Well College is College and we aren't talking about the Pac-10/ACC either. This is the Pro Ranks. He will be going against more talented players who will be able to block his shots and overall defend him much better. He will have to make much tougher shots. The higher the stress the higher the chance of him missing with that form of his.

Hopefully Yoda will be working with him in this Offseason.