Following Potential *2024* Draftees

So I have going before the Kings pick at 13.

I have
Hawks: Saar
Wizards: Risacher
Rockets: Castle
Spurs: Topic
Detroit: Buzelis
Charlotte: Shepeard
Portland: Holland
Spurs: Clingan
Memphis: Williams
Jazz: Knect
Bulls: Dillingham
OKC: Salaun

which means the Kings take a guard or trade down.

I continue to wonder if the Pels love Filipowski or a guard and trade up.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
So I have going before the Kings pick at 13.

I have
Hawks: Saar
Wizards: Risacher
Rockets: Castle
Spurs: Topic
Detroit: Buzelis
Charlotte: Shepeard
Portland: Holland
Spurs: Clingan
Memphis: Williams
Jazz: Knect
Bulls: Dillingham
OKC: Salaun

which means the Kings take a guard or trade down.

I continue to wonder if the Pels love Filipowski or a guard and trade up.
You definitely found a way to put the Kings in the worst possible draft spot! In this scenario I'm actually tempted to just go with Filipowski and see how it goes. I like Missi - he has nice footwork in the post - but with basically zero jumpshot I don't know if his game translates. I need to watch McCain and Carter a lot more carefully before making definitive statements about them. Walter I compare unfavorably to Ben Mc, so I'm not itching to draft him. Collier seems like a bad fit so unless somehow he's obvious BPA he's not really on my radar. DaSilva seems like a bit of a reach at 13. And of course, that leaves the one guy I think is obviously of an appropriate talent at #13 (in fact almost certainly BPA), and as an older player exactly the kind of guy Monte seems to like: Terrence Shannon. Dude can ball. The questions obviously are two-fold: Did he get a bit too grabby in a bar one night? And if so, was it a bad enough offense to disqualify him? I don't know the answers to those questions. But with our pick stuck at #13 we may have to think long and hard about them.

What do we think Filipowski's chances are of being able to adapt to playing a "big wing" in the mold of a JJJ/Lauri/Kelly O? That'll be my hold up with him. Offensively, i think you can do a ton of fun stuff with him and Domas running some Princeton double high type stuff and take advantage of their passing. I know he was still disappointing to some people, but he just took a huge leap across the board in basically every category. 11% to 18% ast rate jump is eye-opening for a 7'0 footer. Big leap from a 2.7% Block rate to a 5.3% this year too.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
What do we think Filipowski's chances are of being able to adapt to playing a "big wing" in the mold of a JJJ/Lauri/Kelly O? That'll be my hold up with him. Offensively, i think you can do a ton of fun stuff with him and Domas running some Princeton double high type stuff and take advantage of their passing. I know he was still disappointing to some people, but he just took a huge leap across the board in basically every category. 11% to 18% ast rate jump is eye-opening for a 7'0 footer. Big leap from a 2.7% Block rate to a 5.3% this year too.
I think he's just too big to pull that off. Not quick enough. He's a C all the way.

Isn’t the Davion Mitchell pick a significant counter example to Monte supposedly preferring offense in the lottery? Sure, it’s just one example, but Monte’s pick history is not really the largest sample either.
Not necessarily. Davion had a pretty solid offensive year and led Baylor to a National Championship in the 20-21 season. Off Night not only had stellar defense but he averaged 14.0 points on 44.7 3P% and 51.1% FG% along with 5.5 assist per game. Davion showed 2 way potential his Junior year.

I'm still of the opinion that Monte will draft a guy with a proven offensive skill set in the lottery, good defense would be a nice bonus. In the 2nd round pick though he could go offense or defense or trade the pick.

Last edited:
I mentioned it in the other thread but the ringer said his game was similar to a healthy Zach Collins which you might find interesting

The 2 bigs that really intrigues me at #13 is Kel'el Ware and Zach Edey. Edey is just massive and a great rebounder and rim protector with great touch around the basket. While Ware has flashed some outside shooting and is a good rebounder and rim protector.

Both would help solve the Kings dire need for some size, length and rim protection in the front court.

The 2 bigs that really intrigues me at #13 is Kel'el Ware and Zach Edey. Edey is just massive and a great rebounder and rim protector with great touch around the basket. While Ware has flashed some outside shooting and is a good rebounder and rim protector.

Both would help solve the Kings dire need for some size, length and rim protection in the front court.
Not a huge fan of just drafting a back-up though. I don't see any way either guy is ever able to to play with Domas.

That's what's interesting about Filipowski to me. Drastically improved as a passer and shooter this year. I think has far higher upside to create his own shot than Ware or Edey do.

You definitely found a way to put the Kings in the worst possible draft spot! In this scenario I'm actually tempted to just go with Filipowski and see how it goes. I like Missi - he has nice footwork in the post - but with basically zero jumpshot I don't know if his game translates. I need to watch McCain and Carter a lot more carefully before making definitive statements about them. Walter I compare unfavorably to Ben Mc, so I'm not itching to draft him. Collier seems like a bad fit so unless somehow he's obvious BPA he's not really on my radar. DaSilva seems like a bit of a reach at 13. And of course, that leaves the one guy I think is obviously of an appropriate talent at #13 (in fact almost certainly BPA), and as an older player exactly the kind of guy Monte seems to like: Terrence Shannon. Dude can ball. The questions obviously are two-fold: Did he get a bit too grabby in a bar one night? And if so, was it a bad enough offense to disqualify him? I don't know the answers to those questions. But with our pick stuck at #13 we may have to think long and hard about them.
not sure found away is quite right. I originally forgot OKC and had us taking the French kid but when I realized I couldn’t see OKC passing on him. Wings are in demand. It’s why Monte’s best player available is always 6’3”.

hey if the ever start a 6’5 under NBA league we are golden!

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
I’m interested in Furphy’s measurements. I think he’s interesting fit on the Kings at 13. Hollinger’s new board has him higher the most other boards.
He's a tough nut to crack. Obviously good height for SF, can shoot, but what else can he do? On the one hand, he never really seemed to be the guy affecting the game for Kansas. Sure, he hit some shots, but I never really saw him take over a game. On the other hand, he completely displaced Elmarko Jackson (who was basically a top-25 recruit) starting in mid-January and averaged over 30 MPG from that point forward. Obviously Bill Self saw something that I didn't really see. Furphy is probably a dice roll on where his development goes, but if he hits he's going to be a nice player.

Not a huge fan of just drafting a back-up though. I don't see any way either guy is ever able to to play with Domas.

That's what's interesting about Filipowski to me. Drastically improved as a passer and shooter this year. I think has far higher upside to create his own shot than Ware or Edey do.
Do you think Flipowski could eventually start at Power Forward next to Domas?

He's a tough nut to crack. Obviously good height for SF, can shoot, but what else can he do? On the one hand, he never really seemed to be the guy affecting the game for Kansas. Sure, he hit some shots, but I never really saw him take over a game. On the other hand, he completely displaced Elmarko Jackson (who was basically a top-25 recruit) starting in mid-January and averaged over 30 MPG from that point forward. Obviously Bill Self saw something that I didn't really see. Furphy is probably a dice roll on where his development goes, but if he hits he's going to be a nice player.
He can cut, he can get out on the break and he can finish. And he has potential to be a good perimeter defender. But he needs to fill out and get way stronger. Young players who show up in the US and contribute in their first season usually have mental toughness as well.

6 feet, 7.5 inches (without shoes). He was weighed at 188.8 pounds and his standing reach was 8 feet, 8.5 inches. His wingspan was 6-8.

This is an interesting upside play with Filipowski. IF the 3 point shooting is legit in the NBA - I think he could play PF next to Domas. But I would need to be convinced on the shooting.
TBH, Flipowski seems like a player that Monte would target in a draft, skilled offensive player with a proven college acumen. If the Kings did draft Flipowski, I would be okay with him, although his wingspan is just average. I would just hope his 3 point shot translates and he could become a Lauri Markarren type PF next to Domas.

Need to dive in more on him, but if healthy Zach Collins is an actual comp? Then hell yeah he can.
I think Collins is a little more athletic than Filipowski. Filipowski is more skilled in the big man areas than Collins though. Somewhere in between a player like Collins and Brad Miller is what he looks like athletically and skill wise he's very similar to Brad.

Not a big fan of Edey. He was a good rim protector in college cause he stayed as close to the basket as possible. Get him 15 ft from the basket and he's toast. I think he will be lucky to hang on as a backup center.

Not a big fan of Edey. He was a good rim protector in college cause he stayed as close to the basket as possible. Get him 15 ft from the basket and he's toast. I think he will be lucky to hang on as a backup center.
Not sure I'm this low on him, but we're just not the right spot for him. He's too big, too skilled to not have an impact as a low minute-high production guy. Best case is he continues to work on the lateral ability and he's like a juiced up Zubac?

Not sure I'm this low on him, but we're just not the right spot for him. He's too big, too skilled to not have an impact as a low minute-high production guy. Best case is he continues to work on the lateral ability and he's like a juiced up Zubac?
I think Zubac would be a good comparison and a floor for Edey. Mike Brown has had success with big centers in the past with Zydrunas Ilgauskas in Cleveland.

Edey is huge and has great touch around the basket (62.3% FG%). He shot 71.1% from FT and has a nice stroke, so I think he could develop a 3 point shot in time. He just started playing organized basketball 6 years ago in his Junior year of high school(he was a hockey and baseball player until he grew too tall) and he dominated college basketball for 2 years. He is still very new to the game and has some nasty, which the Kings need. He's also shed a little weight and came in at 299 lbs at the combine.

The problem with a Domas-Edey pairing would be Domas not shooting the 3 pointer enough to spread the floor. If Domas could put up 3-4 3s per game on a good percentage (37%+), I could see a Domas-Edey front court working out. Edey would definitely help erase some mistakes by our defenders at the rim.

If he doesn't land on the Kings, I could see Miami taking him at #15 and with the proper coaching and nurture, he could become a real difference maker in the league and Miami knows how to develop players. He's the type of players that will get people saying in a few years, how did he last so late in the draft? You can't teach a legit 7'4" with a 7'11 wingspan.

Last edited: