First-half impressions by: Steve Kerr

First-half impressionsby Steve Kerr, Yahoo! Sports
January 28, 2005

The halfway point of the NBA season is upon us, and despite the disastrous brawl in Detroit, the league has provided plenty of entertainment, many surprises and the promise of a great second half.

There is a definite shift toward a more wide open style of play, and scoring is up around the league. Surprise teams like Phoenix, Seattle and Washington have taken the league by storm with their high-octane attacks. Veteran stars like Tim Duncan and Shaquille O'Neal still rule, but young players and teams around the NBA are making dramatic improvements, leading to basketball resucitations in places like Chicago and Orlando.

And now, our midseason awards.

Most Valuable Player: Steve Nash.
How can one man make such a difference to a team? With Nash in the lineup, the Phoenix Suns are 34-6. Without him, they're 0-4. He's an incredible passer and ball handler who sets a frenetic pace for this athletic team and gets his teammates the ball exactly where they want it. Nash's presence has made Phoenix the most entertaining team in the NBA – and one of the best.

Honorable mention: LeBron James and Shaquille O'Neal.
James looks like he'll win seven or eight MVPs before his career is over. O'Neal's numbers aren't overwhelming, but he is dominating games and has made Miami a title contender.

Coach of the First Half: Eddie Jordan.
Nobody suspected the Washington Wizards would be this good, but Jordan has led them to a terrific first half of the season. Jordan's up-tempo style is perfect for the Wizards, who have have forged an identity as a ball-hawking, fast-breaking team. Washington has continued to win even without Larry Hughes, who's been sidelined with a broken thumb. That's the sign of a confident, well-coached team.

Honorable mention: Nate McMillan and Mike D'Antoni.
Many people thought McMillan would have a hard time lasting the season. Instead, he has the Seattle SuperSonics in first place. D'Antoni has defied convention by playing a small, quick lineup, and his Phoenix Suns are running right past teams.

Rookie of the First Half: Emeka Okafor.
He is a walking double-double – at one point this season he produced 19 in a row. Okafor has been better than expected offensively, showing a nice shooting touch. Defensively, he is a dynamo, blocking shots, rebounding and patrolling the lane. With him, the Charlotte Bobcats have the foundation for a bright future.

Honorable mention: Dwight Howard.
In a couple of years, this young man will be a superstar.

Sixth Man Award: Antonio Daniels.
His versatility allows him to play either of the guard spots for the Sonics. He's smart, hits big shots and makes good decisions – which is why he is always in the game at crunch time.

Honorable mention: Hedo Turkoglu.
He's 6-foot-10, shoots threes and can play several positions. He's given the Orlando Magic a major threat off the bench.

Most Improved: Bobby Simmons.
The Los Angeles Clippers' young star has emerged as a terrific NBA forward. He can shoot the ball, is strong enough to guard people down on the block and has the ability to play inside or out.

Honorable mention: Luke Ridnour.
His playmaking has made the Sonics' offense go.

Defensive Player of the First Half: Tim Duncan.
He's not having his usual MVP-type season offensively, but he is the lynchpin to the San Antonio Spurs' dominant defense. He blocks shots, clogs the lane, rebounds and competes every night.

Honorable mention: Ben Wallace.
He defines the world champion Detroit Pistons – hard working and tenacious.

Comeback Player of the Year: Grant Hill.
After four years of surgeries, rehabs and frustrations, Hill is back on the court and playing well for a team that is playoff-bound. The joy on Hill's face is evident every night as he relishes playing the game he has missed so much. It's a great story about a wonderful player – and an even better person.

Executive of the First Half: Bryan Colangelo.
He gutted the Suns' bloated payroll last season, then signed Nash and Quentin Richardson in the summer. The result? A 29-win team a year ago is on its way to 55 or 60 this season.

Honorable mention: John Weisbrod.
The Steve Francis trade worked out well, as did the drafting of Howard and the signing of Turkoglu.

Most Disappointing Team: Denver Nuggets.
The Nuggets were expected to compete for the Western Conference title after they added Kenyon Martin to a talented roster. But the pieces haven't fit well, and the team is now playing for its third coach of the season. George Karl will have to work miracles to get them back into the playoff hunt.

Dishonorable mention: New York Knicks.
The Knicks were supposed to win a weak Atlantic Division, but they're plummeting.

Most Surprising Team: Seattle SuperSonics.
The Sonics have fooled everyone thanks to great perimeter shooting and some newfound toughness inside. Ray Allen is having a huge season, and with Vladimir Radmanovic and Rashard Lewis at the forward spots, they're a nightmare matchup for most teams.

Honorable mention: Washington Wizards and Chicago Bulls.
The Wizards are good and fun to watch. When was the last time those words were uttered about that franchise? As for the Bulls, they are finally on the right track – playing hard, playing together and playing defense.

All-First Half Team.
These five all have their teams in first place in their respective divisions, and I believe winning should come first with all individual awards.

G Steve Nash
G Ray Allen
F LeBron James
F Tim Duncan
C Shaquille O'Neal Honorable mention: Gilbert Arenas, Dirk Nowitzki, Dwyane Wade and Kevin Garnett. Steve Kerr is Yahoo! Sports' NBA analyst. Send him a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.

Again no love for Webb. Put KG on this list even though his team has been playing a lot worse than people expected, and leave Webb off even though Kerr picked the Kings to be 10th in the West and have played far better than that. Nice...

Geoff said:
I thought it was a decent list.
yeah so did i

i came into the thread thinking "this should be good for a laugh" but IMO he was pretty much right on with his first half impressions

but i will say the Nuggets definetly most disappointing team of the year with all the high expectations but under GK 2-0 so far so good...GK is a good coach as long as the players shut-up, listen and do what he says they have a chance late to make a real push for the (last seed) playoffs

but c'mon guys did you really expect to see a bunch of Kings stuff piled up here...im actually surprised that their weren't more Spurs mentions

but at the same time i wouldn't be surprised if Steve Kerr really wasn't the one with these impressions...hehe

Great! After his stellar preseason impressions, I've eagerly been awaiting his first-half impressions!

(I really don't need to add anything here to indicate sarcasm, do I?)

NME said:
Great! After his stellar preseason impressions, I've eagerly been awaiting his first-half impressions!
Thats true if his pre-season stuff is any indication, we can expect all this too change in the next 2 months...