FIRE MIKE BROWN

This is a pretty ridiculous thread. People want the team to get better and attract free agents to the team. Firing Mike Brown, a guy who won a unanimous coach of the year, is the exact way you turn your franchise into a joke and assure no one wants to come here.
How many votes will Mike Brown get for COY for this season?

Monte had several trades and offers in mind, according to reports, where the players simply would not come to the Kings. And that is with Brown as coach. Of course, there may have been other factors involved but a stellar coach apparently was not enough of an attraction. Perhaps the Kings need a charismatic coach of some sort. Then the top stars would flock to the franchise. (or not)

Even though I'm not a fan of Brown for not giving my fellow bulgarian Sasho enough minutes, I like how most of the teams in NBA stick with their coaches. This gives them time to adjust and correct some things. Also, firing a fresh ex-COY seems ridiculous.

Still, from my own european point of view, there were obvious places for improvement which he didn't even try, at least not in time. Huerter and HB could've been rotated a bit more, so to give more rhythm to the so called fringe rotation guys. You never know when Kessler would explode with his three point-shooting or Sasha has the same or his "cut the defense day". Duarte also could've been useful in some moments in the play-offs.

My point is that in the most nervous games you need more of your guys in good form and confident. Playing Sasha one game and giving him DNP's the next two won't make him a great sub in the last game against the Pels. Same with Kessler, Duarte...My impression was that NOP bench came in pretty confident, arrogant even, in the game and they scored.

I was away from the NBA world for a while, so I was curious: is this 8-man rotation thing common in the last games and in the play-ins and play-offs?

Monte had several trades and offers in mind, according to reports, where the players simply would not come to the Kings. And that is with Brown as coach. Of course, there may have been other factors involved but a stellar coach apparently was not enough of an attraction. Perhaps the Kings need a charismatic coach of some sort. Then the top stars would flock to the franchise. (or not)
I think that has more to do with other aspects of playing for the Kings.

It is no secret amongst players that the name on the front of your jersey matters for how you’ll be treated by the league/officials.

For example: you can’t convince me SGA is a better player than Fox. The only difference is how they are officiated. SGA goes to the line a ton and the refs don’t allow defenses to play physical (at all) with him so he gets easier looks and more free points.

SGA shot something like 40% of the FTAs of the entire Kings team. That’s insane. He shot that many FTs while not playing every minute of the game, not even playing every game. Compared to a team that has Fox and Sabonis, who are in the paint and take a ton of contact.

One of them is an MVP candidate and the other wasn’t even an all-star. SGA was getting that love all year.

I’m sure players see how Kings stars are treated and I wouldn’t be surprised if that was a factor. Not saying it is the only factor.

Sacramento not being a FA or trade destination is not MB fault. It has been that way since the Kings have been in Sacramento. I think it’s the perception by young athletes that there is nothing to do or no night life in Sacramento. Sacramento has never been a free agent destination, even during the golden years of the Webber/Peja/Bibby era.

I’ve noticed that players don’t want to go to Sacramento voluntarily, but once they are on the team, a lot of players fall in love the city and the fans. Look at Chris Webber's love for the city and we have 2 stars in Fox and Sabonis that seem to love the city.

So one underwhelming season is enough to do away with one good season? That’s the exact line of thinking that ruins a franchise and turns us into a joke. It's crazy how fans of a team, that has known nothing but the bottom of the western division for 16 seasons, can already want to fire a coach a year removed from the first unanimous COTY. I can't even comprehend that line of thinking. This is akin to Pete D'Alessandro firing Michael Malone, absolutely ridiculous and we would be the laughing stock of the NBA again.

And I say underwhelming season, but this season the western conference has basically seven 50 win teams, if you count the two 49 win teams. This season was ridiculous hard, and yet we still did well against all the playoffs teams outside of the Pelicans. Our record this season would put us in the playoffs for pretty much any other season.

Last edited:
Sacramento not being a FA or trade destination is not MB fault. It has been that way since the Kings have been in Sacramento. I think it’s the perception by young athletes that there is nothing to do or no night life in Sacramento. Sacramento has never been a free agent destination, even during the golden years of the Webber/Peja/Bibby era.

I’ve noticed that players don’t want to go to Sacramento voluntarily, but once they are on the team, a lot of players fall in love the city and the fans. Look at Chris Webber's love for the city and we have 2 stars in Fox and Sabonis that seem to love the city.
Less than half the teams in the league are free agent destinations

I like consistency. MB has had one good year and one average year. I share many of the same criticisms for him people here express. Better rotations, and timeout usage to change game flow. Willing to adjust lineups more. Who ever is in charge of challenges. I thought we should have seen more Sasha and Ellis early in the season, HB to the bench, havent been a fan of Hueter, Davion or Javale. I think out role players need to improve and give Mike the chance for a best 2 out of 3 season record.

I agree firing him now would be seen as a vlade level move and reinforce the "lol kings" mentality.

I think loosing Jordi is going to be big.

This is absolutely true but there are 4-6 teams that are free agent deserts and Sacramento has traditionally been one of them (Portland and Utah are in that class as well).
Would you consider Minnesota, Indiana, Memphis, Orlando, New Orleans, and Oklahoma as higher free agent destinations than Sacramento?

Other than LA, New York, and Miami, where are the other perceived destinations?

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Minnesota - they have a history of bad ownership and you'd think hell no but they also pulled the whole Joe Smith stunt. They signed AK47 away from Utah when I think the Kings would have loved him, and Chauncey Billups in 2000 where he finally started to show he was an NBA player.

Indiana - apparently we were after Siakam and he chose them over us. That right there says a lot.

Memphis - TN is a tax advantaged state but their list of signings is unimpressive. They also have a rich history of local talent. Perhaps it is a desire to escape or the city's high crime rate. But culturally, if they were winning it could be an attractive destination.

Orlando - Tax advantaged state, family town, takes a back seat to Miami but many athletes have offseason homes there. Should be better than they are, but top pulled in Rashard Lewis, Hedo, Ho Grant when he was key to the Bulls first run of championships, and T-Mac in his prime.

New Orleans - I think this is bad ownership. Party city, great food, a rich Black history. Being high up the murder capital rankings annually is a problem though. If they could ever put a contender together for more than a season or two they could be a destination.

All of the above I would rate above Portland, Sacramento and Utah. Orlando well above.

Oklahoma City - Not enough data but I think ownership there prefers to build through the draft and might be cheap because they move players before paying them all the time.

Slater and Amick report in the Athletic’s Kings postmortem that Brown’s 4th year (2025/26) is a mutual option. He’s looking for an extension, but ownership hasn’t offered one yet, preferring a “wait and see approach” so far. More here:

https://theathletic.com/5434131/202...mike-brown-future/?source=user_shared_articleDangerous games: What’s next for Mike Brown, Vivek Ranadivé and the Sacramento Kings

I like consistency. MB has had one good year and one average year. I share many of the same criticisms for him people here express. Better rotations, and timeout usage to change game flow. Willing to adjust lineups more. Who ever is in charge of challenges. I thought we should have seen more Sasha and Ellis early in the season, HB to the bench, havent been a fan of Hueter, Davion or Javale. I think out role players need to improve and give Mike the chance for a best 2 out of 3 season record.

I agree firing him now would be seen as a vlade level move and reinforce the "lol kings" mentality.

I think loosing Jordi is going to be big.
I don’t think 10 games over .500 in a stacked west is an average year IMO. Especially when you consider the injuries we had during what was considered the second toughest remaining schedule in the west.

So one underwhelming season is enough to do away with one good season? That’s the exact line of thinking that ruins a franchise and turns us into a joke. It's crazy how fans of a team, that has known nothing but the bottom of the western division for 16 seasons, can already want to fire a coach a year removed from the first unanimous COTY. I can't even comprehend that line of thinking. This is akin to Pete D'Alessandro firing Michael Malone, absolutely ridiculous and we would be the laughing stock of the NBA again.

And I say underwhelming season, but this season the western conference has basically seven 50 win teams, if you count the two 49 win teams. This season was ridiculous hard, and yet we still did well against all the playoffs teams outside of the Pelicans. Our record this season would put us in the playoffs for pretty much any other season.
"Don't criticize what you can't understand." (Nobel prize winning poet/songwriter.)

Apparently you missed earlier posts that expressed giving Brown another year to develop this team and its functions.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Not only was it above average, but pretty darn good considering injuries and the Kings' historical average. We haven't sniffed 46 wins since Adelman was coach. In fact, if you remove MBrown's record, the Kings have averaged (averaged!) 29 wins a season, with a high of 39 (Joerger) and a low of 17 (Theus+Natt)
While I'm not satisfied with how the season ended, Brown is still projecting well above our historical average. One thing I can agree with is that changes need to be made in the offseason for this team to take the next step. Or, if we're lucky, we luck out in the draft. There doesn't seem to be a clear-cut top of the draft, so we might have a better shot of finding a diamond in the rough.

Minnesota - they have a history of bad ownership and you'd think hell no but they also pulled the whole Joe Smith stunt. They signed AK47 away from Utah when I think the Kings would have loved him, and Chauncey Billups in 2000 where he finally started to show he was an NBA player.

Indiana - apparently we were after Siakam and he chose them over us. That right there says a lot.

Memphis - TN is a tax advantaged state but their list of signings is unimpressive. They also have a rich history of local talent. Perhaps it is a desire to escape or the city's high crime rate. But culturally, if they were winning it could be an attractive destination.

Orlando - Tax advantaged state, family town, takes a back seat to Miami but many athletes have offseason homes there. Should be better than they are, but top pulled in Rashard Lewis, Hedo, Ho Grant when he was key to the Bulls first run of championships, and T-Mac in his prime.

New Orleans - I think this is bad ownership. Party city, great food, a rich Black history. Being high up the murder capital rankings annually is a problem though. If they could ever put a contender together for more than a season or two they could be a destination.

All of the above I would rate above Portland, Sacramento and Utah. Orlando well above.

Oklahoma City - Not enough data but I think ownership there prefers to build through the draft and might be cheap because they move players before paying them all the time.
Sacramento: It's not the location, it has been bad ownership

No, it's also 100% the (incorrect, but promoted by the bigger CA cities) that Sacramento is a cowtown. And well frankly, too white.

Nightlife is also sub par. Same issues affecting Portland and Utah.
Yup, plus taxes are horrendous in California, without the benefit of the night life that the Warriors and Lakers/Clippers players can enjoy.

Slater and Amick report in the Athletic’s Kings postmortem that Brown’s 4th year (2025/26) is a mutual option. He’s looking for an extension, but ownership hasn’t offered one yet, preferring a “wait and see approach” so far. More here:

https://theathletic.com/5434131/202...mike-brown-future/?source=user_shared_articleDangerous games: What’s next for Mike Brown, Vivek Ranadivé and the Sacramento Kings
Either this year or next will be his last - I will quote this thread when it happens.

The only way he gets an extension is if we make a push in the playoffs into the second round. A first round exit and I think ownership will simply not renew. Gives another year for DC or another assistant to get comfortable with the idea (assuming someone whispers to him of the possibility).

I've never understood this nightlife argument. How many players (in today's day and age) are clubbing on a random Tuesday in the NBA town they live in?

Quite honestly, I'm not sure I want that player on my team (*cough* James Harden *cough*)

The CA taxes are an issue, the lack of other stuff to do might be, but it's mostly perception. The list of cities that draw players is literally LA end of list.

Also, I have ready every post in this thread. Mike brown is somewhere between the 8th and 15th best head coach in the NBA. He is a tier 2 NBA head coach. But he has one thing that ranks him higher up that list. Players respect him and they like playing for him.

This is a talent and matchup league. The Spolestras of the world can work some pretty neat magic here and there. But at the end of the day, players play and as long as they are put in a position to succeed that's what we can hope for as a fan base.

Also, this group of assistants is the best we have ever had. Above Addleman even. So finding fault in just Brown (if there really is fault to find, you need to find it with all of them). He has stated numerous times he gives a lot of latitude to his coordinators on game planning.

"Don't criticize what you can't understand." (Nobel prize winning poet/songwriter.)

Apparently you missed earlier posts that expressed giving Brown another year to develop this team and its functions.
Cool logical fallacy.

Missed what? I'm commenting in a thread titled "Fire Mike Brown." I only responded to you questioning the ability of Mike Brown because he is not going to win a COTY this year. Many coaches don't win it, that doesn't invalidate their ability to be a good coach.

I’ve argued the destination angle before but I think there are only two true destination cities: Miami and LA. The rest are situational. I’m speaking for myself here, but if I traveled for 1/3 of the calendar year, I would be exhausted and not interested in nightlife when I got home. Plus, half the league over 25 probably has young kids. When home, you are going to be spending 90 percent of your time with a significant other and any children you may have.

Also, is nightlife really that big of a deal anymore? Serious question as I’m old enough to be out of the loop. Here in Iowa, the number of “clubs” has been drastically reduced over the last 10 years. I’m sure it’s different in large cities but it seems like the younger generation has turned their attention elsewhere.