Festus Ezeli

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
After missing an entire season due to an absolutely horrible sounding leg injury that required unprecedented cadaver ligament replacement surgery, Festus Ezeli's NBA career is probably as done as someone's career can be which makes the fact he was in town talking to Vlade and Peja interesting to say the least. Of course, he did graduate from Jesuit (the current home of Little Big Papa) so it could totally just be a "Let's check out what's going on back home" thing.
Screen Shot 2017-06-16 at 2.02.27 AM.png

If he were healthy, he'd be a good defensive role-player vet with championship experience we could bring in to defend some of the stronger big men in the league (If both are healthy, Kosta/Festus would be a totally awesome solid defensive role player big man lineup). As is, he's guaranteed around 8 million dollars next year for the cash-strapped Blazers (who have three picks in the first round partially thanks to the Weasel giving away Nurk for nothing and then sweetening the deal) and we happen to have a bajillion dollars of cap space.

Potentially, we could swing an Afflalo (The Blazers could then cut him for a comparatively tiny cap hit) for Festus + 20th overall move. If we don't want him/don't have room for him, we can cut Festus or we could gamble on his miracle surgery working and leave him on the roster all year.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I don't see the need for Festus. We already have WCS, Kofous and Papagiannis.

Would do it for the pick though.
Yeah, that's the main part of the deal for me. Any production out of Festus would be gravy and his contract is much easier to swallow than eating Evan Turner's monster 17 million a year deal or Myers Leonard at ten million a year over the next several years. Festus's contract would be one year at 8 million and that would be it.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, that's the main part of the deal for me. Any production out of Festus would be gravy and his contract is much easier to swallow than eating Evan Turner's monster 17 million a year deal or Myers Leonard at ten million a year over the next several years. Festus's contract would be one year at 8 million and that would be it.
I thought Portland had a team option on Ezeli.

Isn't he from this area? I'm guessing he's just hanging out in the area with some other NBA people. Don't see any reason why the Kings would be interested in him. I liked him a few years ago but his timeline is completely off if he can still even play with that injury.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
LOL. Hands of stone Festus Ezeli? His contract is a complete albatross. No thanks.
You mean that player option that's going to be declined? The only way Ezeli ends up a King is as a FA, and we won't be signing him to any albatross at this point. I'm not sure he'll find anybody to bite much above the veteran minimum.

Ya my buddy, who's rehabbing from a gnarly injury, told me Festus has been rehabbing at the same place. I think his folks live in the area, so I wouldn't put too much stock into him spending time in Sac.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I didn't know he went to Jesuit. I guess he never actually played for them though. I don't expect there to be any room for him on our roster.

You mean that player option that's going to be declined? The only way Ezeli ends up a King is as a FA, and we won't be signing him to any albatross at this point. I'm not sure he'll find anybody to bite much above the veteran minimum.
Ok but I'm still not gonna vouch for him under any circumstances. There will be better bigs available with the #34 pick, for sure.

Y'all familiar with the story that he was constantly trying to lecture the Blazers in the lockerroom even when he was out injured? and that CJ McCollum shut him off. Not the type of player who's a good fit for this team for many reasons IMO.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
He is just about out of the league, what good would he do here? I don't think this is much of anything really. Players are allowed to come to Sacramento without the intent on something brewing.

He doesn't live here, but he bought his mom a house here. So he hangs out here. If he's also rehabbing here, I didn't know that. But that still doesn't make him someone that Vlade is coveting. There's nothing to see here, people!