ESPN Rookie Rankings

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Thorpe's such a dork he can't even rmemeber what day he is supposed to post these -- Weds. is rookie rankings day. :p

Last edited:
What I find most interesting is that several of the Rookies ranked below Casspi are either starting, or getting starter minutes. I'll say one thing, if you're going to rebuild strictly through the draft, this is the way to do it.

What I find most interesting is that several of the Rookies ranked below Casspi are either starting, or getting starter minutes. I'll say one thing, if you're going to rebuild strictly through the draft, this is the way to do it.

You said it even if K-mart was healthy 4 out of 5 of our starters are from the draft.

K

Kingsguy881

In-SANE. Petrie is the man, a veritable drafting GENIUS. Casspi has to be the biggest steal of the draft. PILFERED! The scary version? These Kings that we are watching today will be a helluva lot better come March. And then next season? Exciting.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Super congrats to Tyreke and Omri. And if you go down thru those same rankings you come to Jon Brockman at #35 but whose 3.8 reb average is #8 overall for rookies. Bet he is #1 in bruises/min given tho'. :D

Lets just say that sometimes we wonder just how much research he does. And I'm being kind here..
Sheridan is much worse. About a week or 2 ago, I got a question answered in one of his chats about the Kings' need for a big man, and his response was something along the lines of "they'll just have to keep starting May at the C."

I hope westphal doesn't win coach of the year, that award hasn't been good for past winners.
The reason for that is because the award was given out to the wrong coaches... the award basically goes out to the team whose record has improved most from the year before (or achieves 60+ wins) AND makes the playoffs. Westphal deserves it this year, but he won't get it because the award is a joke. It will probably go out to George Karl or Rick Carlisle this year. If the Kings make the playoffs then Westphal will get it.

welcome to last week. this is from Dec 9th. Next set should be tomorrow or thursday.
No, the rankings have changed since last week - Omri was not in the top 5 on 12/9. The dates of the player notes correlate to the last time Thorpe wrote an article on rookies (the Upside one), which doesn't always match the weekly updating of the rankings.

Gotta love Tyreke and Omri.
I really hope that Casspi will be able to keep up this level and get even better.
No doubts about Tyreke-he will make his way and will be one of the dominant guards in the league!

S

sactownfan

ESPN'S ROOKIE RANKINGS! Evans#1 Casspi#3

so awesome!

Casspi:

Dec. 16: If Jennings would be the unanimous choice for the most surprising rookie 'til now, Casspi would sweep the second-place votes. Consider the negatives listed on his draft card by ESPN's draft guru Chad Ford after speaking to scores of executives and scouts who had seen Casspi play for years:

Struggles to shoot off the dribble
Poor shot mechanics
Lacks deep range
Lacks great lateral quickness

Opponents must be shaking their heads at that evaluation. Casspi has blistered teams from everywhere on the floor. He hits 3-pointers, gets buckets off the dribble and races the floor for dunks. Plus, he defends anyone and everyone with quick feet and a tough demeanor. All this while having to make the conversion from a power forward in Europe to a small forward here, with some shooting guard mixed in thanks to the injuries in Sacramento to Kevin Martin and Francisco Garcia.

There was a lot of talk about Casspi spending some time in the D-League to acclimate to the NBA after struggling in the Vegas summer league. Instead, he's fighting for a starting spot in the rookie-sophomore game during All-Star Weekend in Dallas and perhaps even a slot in the 3-point shootout.