DraymondMania 2023

I still want to see those stats. Anyone have a link? I've looked at his efficiency stats and in relation to the fact that Kuz is a pure by the numbers scorer, I don't see it. Every metric I'm looking at measures up to Poole, Oubre, and Jordan Clarkson types. Not terrible by any stretch but impactful? Eh. That depends.
Personally, I think these are poor comparisons because you are only looking at one thing. Poole and Clarkson are strictly scorers who play little or no defense. Oubre's problem has always been being consistent. I'm not a big Kuzma fan, but he has been solid on defense the past few seasons and he also rebounds and passes the ball well. Kuzma's value comes from being an all around player. That being said, I wouldn't pay him $30 million a year. I think his value in more I the range of $18-21 million a year.

Ultimately, we want the Kings to improve on their overall talent level. I think Jerami Grant, Kyle Kuzma, and Cam Johnson all would be upgrades over Harrison Barnes. Of course, maybe we are still inline to get OG.

Personally, I think these are poor comparisons because you are only looking at one thing. Poole and Clarkson are strictly scorers who play little or no defense. Oubre's problem has always been being consistent. I'm not a big Kuzma fan, but he has been solid on defense the past few seasons and he also rebounds and passes the ball well. Kuzma's value comes from being an all around player. That being said, I wouldn't pay him $30 million a year. I think his value in more I the range of $18-21 million a year.
I'm looking at his offense and those are the closest comps with a relative usg. His defensive win shares aren't bad but every year he's been pretty much on a so so team and the year the Lakers won the title he was a bench player. Clarkson prior to this season has had similar DWS numbers. 18-20 is fair for sure but I don't think he's looking for that.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Dray is a hustler so I'd like to think Monte won't fall for his agents tactics. Instead, let's go after Grant Williams, Kuzma and I'd even welcome Dillon Brooks

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I think while I was reading this property tax in SF jumped up another 1% just from the fumes. Oof. How is this even a possibility?

Draymond is a hard pass for me too for the reasons @Capt. Factorial laid out. I don't care how good he is, not only did he assault Domas in a game and act like he was the victimized party but he then went out of his way to cut Domas down in his end of the series press conference too. That went beyond basketball and crossed a line for me. Not to mention... what he did to Jordan Poole is completely inexcusable. That's worse than Ron Artest punching a Pistons fan to me. It's worse than anything Ja Morant has done. Poole was his own teammate. I would have suspended him the entire season for that. I do not want this guy in our locker room.

I just don’t get it with our interest in him. I get his skill set, but it wouldn’t work nearly as well for him when you’re not passing to 1) the greatest shooter the league has ever seen and 2) one of the greatest shooters the league has ever seen. He has good intangibles but he’s also old and I fear that when he gets here, he will decline rapidly. And that’s not even considering team chemistry, which could blow up in our face. What do you say to Sabonis? “Remember that guy that stomped on your chest and played dirty the whole series? Well we loved that and now he’s on our team so hopefully no hard feelings?”

I don't get it either. The guy could be a locker room cancer. Not to mention he's on the downside of his career and I don't think he would do us any better than Barnes does for us now. In fact, I think we are better with Barnes than with Green.

Don't do it, Monte.

Regardless of whether he's a good player, or a good fit, or cheaper than expected or whatever, don't do it.

I have not forgiven, nor do I intend to forgive, the chest-stomp. Draymond is a classless loser of a human being. I will never root for him, ever. If Draymond is ever a member of the Kings I promise to never set foot in G1C until he is gone. I can't say that I won't watch the games on TV or be a fan of the team, but the Kings will get ZERO money from me while Draymond is a member of the team.

Gotta stand by my principles.

So don't do it, Monte.
That’s exactly how I feel about that loser Kuzma. And the bearded hag. And LBJ.

I still want to see those stats. Anyone have a link? I've looked at his efficiency stats and in relation to the fact that Kuz is a pure by the numbers scorer, I don't see it. Every metric I'm looking at measures up to Poole, Oubre, and Jordan Clarkson types. Not terrible by any stretch but impactful? Eh. That depends.
Link

This page provides a reasonable description of his stats. Most of his offence comes from spot up shooting and some pick and roll ball handling. He is not an efficient scorer but can create for others somewhat. On defence he doesn't get many deflections, but rebounds relatively well and offers some rim protection.

His defensive metrics are very similar to Jerami Grants, who one unhappy Kings Fans poster has described as a good defender. Grant blocks a higher percentage of shots but Kuzma is a better rebounder and holds opponents to a lower percentage at the rim.

These are obviously context dependent and I'm not sure what the overall takeaway is. He's not an all star but we are not looking for that and he's something.

Draymond is elite on the Warriors but I can't see him having that impact anywhere else unless it's for a stacked Team USA squad. Undersized bigs don't really age well past their 30's.

I am ambivalent on Draymond, on one hand I think he's a very canny vet, and those are the sorts of players that the Kings should be looking for at this stage.

On the other hand, maybe bidding up Draymond's value would do more to screw up the Warriors long term if they end up with him.

I like Draymond. However, his age does not fit with the timeline of the rest of the group. Last thing you want is paying Draymond the type of money towards the end of that contract.

The player we get should be the same timeline age wise as our core to extend that run. Hence why ideally we would want a younger upgrade instead of Barnes

Draymond is elite on the Warriors but I can't see him having that impact anywhere else unless it's for a stacked Team USA squad. Undersized bigs don't really age well past their 30's.
He already is beginning to show his age. He looked gassed at the end of the season and gassed in the Lakers series. I could see him having one good year here before falling off pretty hard.

Yeah, this too. He hasn't had a good playoff series since 2019. His game is in decline
His shouting at refs and players continues to increase however. It’s pretty much become his go to move. He just behaves like a lunatic and gets everyone out of sorts. It’s what he does. But you’re right, his game is no longer good enough and a 100 million for a contract at that age? Forget about it!

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
His shouting at refs and players continues to increase however. It’s pretty much become his go to move. He just behaves like a lunatic and gets everyone out of sorts. It’s what he does. But you’re right, his game is no longer good enough and a 100 million for a contract at that age? Forget about it!
It's really bizarre how he's done this long enough that everyone just shrugs and lets it happen and yet guys like Fox get T'ed up instantly. How does one go about acquiring this "so crazy we just let him do what he wants" status and should it count as a skill?

It's really bizarre how he's done this long enough that everyone just shrugs and lets it happen and yet guys like Fox get T'ed up instantly. How does one go about acquiring this "so crazy we just let him do what he wants" status and should it count as a skill?
It’s unprofessional and many times uncalled for. I said in another post he’s been “controlled” as much as he has only because it’s Golden State and they’ve won multiple rings together. If he had ended up on a bad organization (like the Kangz version of us), he would have been out of the league at this point. Cousins used to behave like a child on the court and got T’d up all the time, but at least he never demonstrated malice towards anyone or injured other players on purpose. Yet this guy can stomp on someone’s chest and only get a game suspension? Yell at the refs for 5 straight minutes, cuss them out, and not even a warning? I’m not naive enough to not know double standards exist, but it’s so glaringly obvious it ruins the game for me. I lost respect for the league. No one should be able to get away with this much.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
https://twitter.com/ LarkSkin_B/status/1673006479970914304

Poole speaking SacMond into existence, getting punched in the face so hard that he forgot how to play basketball, and getting banished to the Wizards is some legendary ish

Mod edit: Breaking link per policy due to language

Last edited by a moderator: