Draft Lottery

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
First off, I'm used to this franchise being cursed, and expect every f******* year to be picking the same or worse than projected... What separated this year from years past is that I thought karma was indebted to us for putting up with this Seattle ****
Really? Or as Seth and Amy would say, "REALLY!?!?!?!?" We kept our freaking team. That's about as much good karma as I would think any Sacramento fan would dare dream about.

smh...

Krunker

Northernmost Kings Fan
Ok you know it's coming to perk you up, a list of players drafted at #7 to show what talent may still be available:

2012: Harrison Barnes
2011: Bismack Biyombo
2010: Greg Monroe
2009: Stephen Curry
2008: Eric Gordon
2007: Corey Brewer
2006: Randy Foye

Out of that list Biyombo is probably the biggest bust (although he might still turn it around) ... and he was drafted by the Kings and promptly traded for John Salmons and Jimmer. So that's the only part that doesn't make me feel much better, but the other #7's were good to great :)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Smarts face reminded me when we were getting blown out at home

Please can him ASAP
I actually felt kind of sorry for him. He's not a bad guy, he's just not a good coach. Can you imagine how uncomfortable it must have been for him when the #1 question on everyone's lips - if they even talked to him - was "Hey, so how long do you think you're gonna keep your job?"

Also I had this idea built up in my head is if we got the #1 pick , the Maloofs would of backed out of the sale because they were excited. Thank god that didn't happen ;)

Picking 7 is not the worst thing in the world. Every year in the lottery good players drop. Sac will get someone.

Cleveland winning was a bit unfortunate though. Don't like their club at all.

Maybe they will pick Noel who will be useless for his first three plus seasons. Then, when he begins to get it together, he will sign somewhere else as most top picks seem to do.

Am i the only one who is just incredibly annoyed by Gilberts kid? Actually that whole crew was a huge freakshow. Lebron was on to something gettting hell out of there.

Only frustrated that you continually try and drag my positive attitude into things. I don't care about the lottery pick. Honest. We got #7 - KEVIN JOHNSON'S NUMBER - in the lottery for a very weak draft. We aren't going to get into the playoffs with the draft pick from 2013.

And yes, I guess I need to remind you once again that we could have just seen the Seattle Sonics get the #7 pick.
Amen to that, the only thing is why was smart there, he should be a part of the PAST not the Future, should have had a player represent like the wizards and blazers did...anybody but smart

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I just checked a couple mock drafts and there certainly is no consensus at who will be available at #7. Several of the people I have seen projected in the top 6 will be available at #7 in some of the mocks. This will require the introduction of a crystal ball and an excellent eye as to how a player might develop.

I actually felt kind of sorry for him. He's not a bad guy, he's just not a good coach. Can you imagine how uncomfortable it must have been for him when the #1 question on everyone's lips - if they even talked to him - was "Hey, so how long do you think you're gonna keep your job?"
As I alluded to earlier, he looked pretty miserable. It wasn't right sending him out there because everyone and their mother knows what will happen to him in a few weeks. I, like you, also felt bad for him. Hopefully, that is the last public exposure he gets before he is fired.

I think I'm just pissed personally because the guy I like, Burke, depends on this slight spot... posters who like the kid from Germany or Bennett might not care

Yes couldn't help but think the situation would be rather humiliating. I guess that is the world of professional sports. I hope something works out for him.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Amen to that, the only thing is why was smart there, he should be a part of the PAST not the Future, should have had a player represent like the wizards and blazers did...anybody but smart
The Maloofs sent him, which i took as a rude finger to Sacramento AND to Keith Smart.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I just don't like the idea of wasting another high lottery pick and we're right in position to do that again. I like a lot of players projected above that draft spot and a lot of players projected below it. It's not like there still won't be very good talent left on the board, it's really just a lack of faith in our organization to identify it which makes me unhappy we moved down a spot. We need to target somebody and move up, target somebody and move down, or stay where we are and pick somebody unexpected. All possibilities, but the last two years have been miserable affairs. And I get criticized every single season for being a naysayer around this time of year, but I think the results speak for themselves. Maybe we get a new GM before the draft. That could change things.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
I'm preparing for 7th. The lottery never favours us. The funny thing is, I'll still be overwhelmed with anger when the inevitable happens. [/pessimism] [/reverse-psychology]
Some smarty guy always hits it on the head. I had thought 7 as well but figured "no, can't happen yet again, can it?" WHAM!! 7

Some smarty guy always hits it on the head. I had thought 7 as well but figured "no, can't happen yet again, can it?" WHAM!! 7

I learnt after the last few years that the Kings don't do luck. Never have, and probably never will. We have to do everything the hard way and fight tooth and nail for it.

I'm not too disappointed. We have needs at every position on the court except center, and there is a shot that one of Bennett, Burke, Porter or Oladipo falls to us.

And if you look back at our draft history the last few years, with the exception of the Cousins pick, we didn't draft the best player available to us.

I just don't like the idea of wasting another high lottery pick and we're right in position to do that again. I like a lot of players projected above that draft spot and a lot of players projected below it. It's not like there still won't be very good talent left on the board, it's really just a lack of faith in our organization to identify it which makes me unhappy we moved down a spot. We need to target somebody and move up, target somebody and move down, or stay where we are and pick somebody unexpected. All possibilities, but the last two years have been miserable affairs. And I get criticized every single season for being a naysayer around this time of year, but I think the results speak for themselves. Maybe we get a new GM before the draft. That could change things.
Would you really want a new GM before the draft? Petrie has (hopefully) been preparing the whole year and scouted the whole college season. Would we really want someone who hasn't had time to prep?

anyway, I'm long past worrying about the who wins the lottery. There have been very few "sure things" the last 10 years and there's bust all over the top 5 picks and studs from the 6-10 picks. We're past the stage of needing the home-run pick to save the franchise; it's all about finding productive rotational players now

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Would you really want a new GM before the draft? Petrie has (hopefully) been preparing the whole year and scouted the whole college season. Would we really want someone who hasn't had time to prep?
There are a dozen people on this board alone who could do the job. Scouting isn't hard, you just have to know what you're looking at and take the time to go through all the tape. I don't doubt Petrie's ability to judge talent. I doubt that he knows what type of players are needed to make this team better. That's a big difference. I want a new GM before the draft because the draft is one piece of the puzzle -- there might be trades involved, free agents targeted, players potentially cut or amnestied to open up spots in the rotation. Somebody needs to take this all into account at once and taking over after the draft is asking them to do the job with one hand tied behind their back.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Frankly, every year I just anticipate us dropping anyways. Why would this year be any different?

I am happy the team is staying. Period. If we picked 30th no big deal to me. Our early Christmas gifts already arrived.

We had the 7th pick the year we took Jimmer.

Give me Shabazz, please. They overlooked Drummond and Barnes, two disappointing high school stars. Let's not make the same mistake with Shabazz.

Last edited:
Give me Shabazz, please. They overlooked Drummond and Barnes, two disappointing high school stars. Let's not make the same mistake with Shabazz.

Doesn't work like that, and he's the exact definition of what we don't need. Put some actual thought into what you're saying; just because it worked like that for Drummond/Barnes, doesn't mean it's automatically going to happen for someone else. And for the record, I think Shabazz will be a decent player - but one that can score and do pretty much nothing else. Not what we need at all.

I would surprised if the pick is traded.

Petrie is making the pick with the knowledge he won't be with the kings much longer. My guess is he takes a relatively low maintenance approach and picks the best player available. I am not saying he will be lazy or negligent, he will still do a good amount of work, I just doubt he will be working triple overtime.

In addition, given Petrie is most likely leaving, I doubt you see a massive project or long term guy. The pick is more likely to be someone like Len or Burke if they are available- less likely to be Gobert.

I don't mind that Petrie will make the pick. Apart from a few recent missteps, the kings usually draft well. At 7 there will be some good guys available.