*donte greene sighting*

Where: Momo's Downtown Sacramento

When: Friday night

Donte approached me and I said "how was the lakers game? you guys killed them that was a sick game"

Donte said "yeee fuuur shuuur" and walked off : /

Another guy who's strengths failed to get exploited and encouraged by his coaches. They were all looking for another star instead of what he is plenty of blame all around and I could see him make it work elsewhere.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
no he won't, its been noted by many people that Donte's doesn't have drive/heart/work ethic. You would think on his contract year he would show something, but he showed what we have seen for the last 3 years.
To be fair, those are the exact complaints a lot of people had about Gerald Wallace when he wore a Kings uniform.

Entity

Hall of Famer
I'd like for some proof of this poor work ethic. Other than personal opinion. I have seen this accusation over and over and not once from a coach of the kings or other players.

coming to camp overweight multiple years is inexcusable for a young player, theres reasons multiple coaches put him in a doghouse at some point or another.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
coming to camp overweight multiple years is inexcusable for a young player, theres reasons multiple coaches put him in a doghouse at some point or another.
To be fair, the reason he came to camp overweight that one year was because Westphal told him to gain weight so he could play the 4 and then promptly got pissed at him for doing exactly that.

no he won't, its been noted by many people that Donte's doesn't have drive/heart/work ethic. You would think on his contract year he would show something, but he showed what we have seen for the last 3 years.
You act like there has been halfway decent coaching during Donte's time here. Or at least a system where he knew his role.

He may be a bit of a goof, but that doesn't automatically translate to him not being capable of fulfilling his talent. One thing that IS a requirement for talent to be fulfilled, is proper coaching, strong leadership on a team, a coherent system where you know what your role is, and everybody on the same page about how you will fit into the system going forward. Example: James Harden. Harden did not make it solely because of his attributes, but because he in an good place, with an excellent coach, and an excellent GM with a vision for a team, and a financially stable owner. Donte's had none of that, which really, makes it more likely that he WON'T develop. I mean, this organization is on the verge of screwing up Tyreke Evans for crying out loud, for much of the same reasons I see as hampering Donte.

To be fair, the reason he came to camp overweight that one year was because Westphal told him to gain weight so he could play the 4 and then promptly got pissed at him for doing exactly that.
You mean those weren't diet milkshakes?

Think he may of took it the wrong way and grew out instead of stronger.

Lets look at his history. First year he needed to work on his defense. Second year he was a much better defender and was one of the better defenders on the team despite being jerked around by Westfail. After last year it was rebounding. This year he was much improved in his rebounding. He was getting boards in the paint not just the long ones. He also was driving more and has some nice post ups that weren't taken advantage of.

While he may not have improved to somes expectations he has improved his game. He's still only 24 years old and this should have been his rookie year.

Donte has the physical gifts and the potential to be a Very very good defensive SF roleplayer. He has the length and speed to stay with anyone at that position and instead of molding that and selling him on that aspect of the game we just send him out there without a system and bench him when he misses a few shots. Instead of rewarding good defensive work on this team we only reward points and assists and if they break a certain number rebounds.

We already had the SF we needed to pick up last off season if we hadn't screwed him up in the head every year he has been here. Defense, floor running, cuts off the ball, and streaky from the corner. Thats what we needed from the SF position. Instead we tell him he is going to play the 4 then we jerk him back to the 3 then the bench then start then the bench for no reason and then this year back to the 4....

Will he be a star? I don't think so but he could be a great role player if we haven't killed it in him yet. And this is why I was so against just letting WP finish out last season because he was actively hurting our players. A bad coach isn't better then none sometimes. We could have put anyone in just to teach fundamentals and we would have been better off. When the season is lost play the projects and forget about guys you won't bring back. Or do what we do and play the guys who won't be in the league the next year.

Another guy who's strengths failed to get exploited and encouraged by his coaches. They were all looking for another star instead of what he is plenty of blame all around and I could see him make it work elsewhere.
I agree.

I think the kid did not have that much playing time to develop. The coaches kept him too many times in the doghouse and when they used him he was inconsistently used or misused. There were games when I thought he could be a very good player. There were times he showed flashes of being a good defender and moved well without the ball. At 6' 10" and playing SF, this kid is athletic enough and still has the potential of being great someday. I am pretty sure he will make it work if given longer playing times and allowed to shoot more. I just hope it happens to him in Kings uniform.

I am actually willing to gamble and just let both Donte and Outlaw consistently share the minutes at the 3 next season. I think one of them will develop into a good enough starter at the 3 for the Kings.

Last edited:
To be fair, that was Donte's response on why he came into came overweight. I highly doubt he was fully telling the truth.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
To be fair, that was Donte's response on why he came into came overweight. I highly doubt he was fully telling the truth.
Not sure that Westphal's word carries much weight at this point, after the Cousins debacle where he threw a couple of whoppers out there.

If he ever learns how to be consistent he'd be a nice piece. You can't take 3 out every 5 games off and expect to "make it" in the NBA.

Lets look at his history. First year he needed to work on his defense. Second year he was a much better defender and was one of the better defenders on the team despite being jerked around by Westfail. After last year it was rebounding. This year he was much improved in his rebounding. He was getting boards in the paint not just the long ones. He also was driving more and has some nice post ups that weren't taken advantage of.

While he may not have improved to somes expectations he has improved his game. He's still only 24 years old and this should have been his rookie year.
Exactly. Thank you.

JT and Donte, despite horrible coaching have been two guys that have worked on their games and improved in their weaknesses. The only thing missing for Donte to be good is an actual team to be good on. As VF frequently observes: we do not have a team yet. We have a group of talented young players who sometimes pass well to each other.

I don't know what more you want out of the guy. He's never going to be our first, second, or third option. He just needs to be a good defender, good rebounder and good shooter. He's steadily gotten better in each of those areas, and he's still only 24. His shooting will probably continue to improve, mostly because he has been focusing on the other two things first, which is right. As a bonus he can run, is great in transition, and can handle the ball a bit. His bonehead mistakes have also decreased.

His defense is actually pretty good right now. If it gets even better, (along with his shooting) he's a guy that would crack the starting lineup (eventually), and we could thrown on Durant/Kobe/etc. His already a mini Kobe killer.

Last edited: