Done Deal - Sacramento/Minny -- Sheldon and Bobby Brown Traded

From Sam Amick's blog...

Two league sources say the Kings are closing in a deal that would send forward Shelden Williams and point guard Bobby Brown to Minnesota for guard Rashad McCants and Calvin Booth.
McCants is a fourth-year guard who will earn $2.6 million this season and be a restricted free agent this summer, while the veteran big man Booth will earn $1.1 million this season before coming off the books. While Williams is a free agent this summer, this would take the Kings off the hook for Brown's $736,420 for next season that is a player option.

sheldon/brown close to being traded.

(7:47 a.m.)
And we're off...
Two league sources say the Kings are closing in a deal that would send forward Shelden Williams and point guard Bobby Brown to Minnesota for guard Rashad McCants and Calvin Booth.
McCants is a fourth-year guard who will earn $2.6 million this season and be a restricted free agent this summer, while the veteran big man Booth will earn $1.1 million this season before coming off the books. While Williams is a free agent this summer, this would take the Kings off the hook for Brown's $736,420 for next season that is a player option.

Not a blockbuster or anything, but I'd like this. McCants is young and talented, could be a good player for the future.

I'd love to be able to get an extra pick off a team, but with Salmons gone, it's looking unlikely.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Well good -- I like that deal better as we continue to shuffle the whole roster here. McCants is a nut, but he's the most talented player of that grouping and we can take a look and just let him walk if he does not shpae up the attitude.

I am confused as to why this trade would take us off the hook for Bobby Brown's contract?

Also, isn't Williams an expiring this year anyway? Why would we trade an expiring for an expiring.

I really want a deal to send Beno somewhere. I would feel like this was a very successful tradeing deadling if we could unload Beno.

More like it, although doesn't excuse the other one. It's possible that this is simply to save money as well. Maloofs' financial situation must be pretty poor.

I am confused as to why this trade would take us off the hook for Bobby Brown's contract?

Also, isn't Williams an expiring this year anyway? Why would we trade an expiring for an expiring.

I really want a deal to send Beno somewhere. I would feel like this was a very successful tradeing deadling if we could unload Beno.
We are getting two expirings back. One of them happens to be young, but I suspect the Maloofs aren't planning on bringing him back after this season barring a break-out. It seems to be a deal which will save a few hundred thousand dollars.

I do like McCants. I hope he does OK and we sign him again.

Beno isn't getting traded. Horrible contract. Was never a fan of giving him that much money.

Done

The Kings have agreed on a trade to send forward Shelden Williams and point guard Bobby Brown to Minnesota in exchange for fourth-year guard Rashad McCants and veteran big man Calvin Booth, according to two league sources.
On the financial front, the deal takes the Kings off the hook for the $736,420 owed to Brown next season (player option) while giving them two players who have expiring contracts in McCants ($2.6 million, restricted free agent this summer) and Booth ($1.1 million).
Read the Kings blog at www.sacbee.com/kingsblog.

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/sports/kings/archives/019784.html

Irrelevant again, but at least we get a young guy. Only problem now is getting him minutes.

Stinks of financial motivation (however small), though, and not a deal made for the progression of the franchise.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Well, that would mean a few more minutes a game for Hawes/Thompson...I just don't see Booth eating up Shelden's old minutes.

Did we just trade one member of the all-ugly team for another?

Yeah, McCants has always been an intruiging if immature player, no harm in giving him a run. Brown just wasn't quite able to put things together, and of course Shelden is Shelden.

Works for me.

I am glad one of the seven PFs got dumped and I guess Bobby Brown was not working out... or maybe just a trade motivator. I thought he did well, though, for a scrub. But the Kings will have all of one PG on the roster for next year? Looks like I know who they are signing or drafting.... Sounds like McCants and Booth are just expirings which is fine. Just a move to get some salary off the books.

Wow, so the only remaining players from a week ago are:

Spence
JT
Mikki
Kevin
Cisco
Beno
Bobby J
K9

NEW:
Nocioni
Gooden
Simmons
Diogu
McCants
Booth

OUT:
Brad
Salmons
Douby
Cassell
Shelden
Bobby Brown

This has to be one of the biggest team turn-arounds in trade deadline history...
Just trying to keep track of it all... Anyone I miss??

Bricklayer

Wow, so the only remaining players from a week ago are:

Spence
JT
Mikki
Kevin
Cisco
Beno
Bobby J
K9

NEW:
Nocioni
Gooden
Simmons
Diogu
McCants
Booth

OUT:
Brad
Salmons
Douby
Cassell
Shelden
Bobby Brown

This has to be one of the biggest team turn-arounds in trade deadline history...
Just trying to keep track of it all... Anyone I miss??

heh -- yeah, we haven't gotten any better, but we sure are shufflig the crap in and out. :p

Now let's see...time for maybe one more deal if we hurry...still have KT and Mikki around, hmm...who needs random frontcourt crap? We'd be sacrificng cap room, but maybe we should call New Orleans about that Chasndler thing...

Ooh...and Beno..who needs a shiny new Beno... :p

So, I haven't seen that much of McCants. Can he play point?

PG Beno/Garcia?
SG Martin/McCants
SF Nocioni/Donte
PF Thompson/Diogu
C Hawes/Gooden/Moore

Bricklayer

So, I haven't seen that much of McCants. Can he play point?

PG Beno/Garcia?
SG Martin/McCants
SF Nocioni/Donte
PF Thompson/Diogu
C Hawes/Gooden/Moore

That was the hope -- he should clearly be a combo guard off the bench, but he's selfish and a chucker so its an open question. Can be a potent, though erratic, scorer though. Burned us badly last year.

funny how we were all posting on the all nba first all ugly team and we get the starting center of the all ugly team calvin booth

Last edited:
Well, the question becomes: Who do we try do audition more: McCants or Donte?

If i had my way Donte would start at SF.
dont mccants and garcia hate each other or something? i hope it inspires both to out do one another... and garcia finally breaks out next year so will mccants hopefully

Bricklayer

Its probably more likely:

PG-Beno, McCants, BJax
SG-Kevin, Cisco, McCants
SF-Nocioni, Cisco, Greene

and who knws about the frontcourt

McCants, should be a 1/2, or rather a 2/1 -- off guard who can maybe play a little point. Cisco is a 3/2. Kevin a pure 2. Bobby a 1/2. Noc a 3/4. Green a pure 3.

I know a few people at the Palms and Palms place who have been laid off, because the Palms is hemorrhaging money. Of course all of Vegas is bleak right now, MGM had to sell TI because they needed cash.

But if this was really just to save $800,000 on Bobby Brown's contract we will still have to pay somebody something for that roster spot. Even if we pick up someone for the Veteran Minimum won't the Maloof's still be on the tab for $500,000?

Also this is depressing to me since for Mike Bibby we got exactly nothing. I guess that is better than Webber since for him we got less than nothing.