Domantas Sabonis

The other part about the trade is the contracts. If Hali and Fox were in the same backcourt with their current contracts - good luck building a winner around that.

The Kings currently are in position to bring in a big wing that compliments Sabonis and Murray in the starting lineup (I don’t know if they will be able to make it happen - but they have contracts and picks they can move). It would have been much harder to trade Hali on a max contract for a player as good as Sabonis that compliments Fox the way that Sabonis does. Monte took his big swing and did not miss.

Sabonis and Fox compliment each other and both players can flourish and win.

Fox and Hali impeded each others game. When Hali was on the Kings, he deferred to Fox and was much more passive. I loved Hali’s game when he was on the Kings but he didn’t have that Alpha scorer mentality until Indiana gave him the reigns to their team.

Both Hali and Fox never would have reached their highest potential deferring to each other in Sacramento. Now they are BOTH on superstar trajectories.
Who knows for sure how it would have played out had Hali remained here.

Something tells me the KINGS would still be longing for a post player to compliment their two guards. And we saw how the Warriors took advantage of the KINGS with Domas playing at like 60% of himself. Imagine if the KINGS had no player like him on the roster? The ball movement sure wouldn’t be the same.

Regardless, as good as Tyrese has been in Indy, I still would rather have Swipa running the show here. And while the trade officially involved Domas and Hali — it really was about choosing Swipa over him.

So far it looks to me like the correct choice was made. Swipa has already led the KINGS to a 3rd seed in the West and has teetered on entering heavy MVP consideration, while also proving to be among the most clutch players in the league. Indy, meanwhile, was a lottery team last season.

Amazing stat. I’m frankly amazed Jokic wasn’t on the list and had to look it up. He missed it by .2 rebounds last year and he’s shooting a ton more 3s this year which is taking his overall %s down. That said, it just shows you the elite type of big to make this list that is versatile enough to run an offense but still bang down low. Now I would be totally okay if Sabonis shot a few more 3s since we know he can and it’ll keep the defenses honest

Sabonis > Haliburton. Was true the day the trade happened and is still true now. Haliburton does not reliably create his own shots in iso or in end of game/half/quarter situations, therefore Sabonis is better because the teams offense is ran through him, he can score in iso in the post, and he leads the league in rebounds. No differing opinions will be considered.

I think the Pacers specifically wanted Haliburton. I think in some parallel universe the Pacers took Fox and we have the duo of Haliburton and Sabonis. Curious how that scenario would have played out, I'm extremely happy with the way it turned out. Fox is the guy, he has the experience and leadership intangibles that make him the right captain for this ship even if Haliburton is a more talented playmaker.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Fox defense >>>>>> Haliburton defense
The above has always been the difference in the 2. Haliburton is a below average defender who will play passing lanes to get steals but you have to hide him on D.

When you draft after the top 5 or 6 spots you may take a player who fits a need. The second reason is the best player available that was to good to pass up.

Halliburton was the best player available even if he plays the same position as your budding star and that with is the hope one of them is that player who carries you to future higher levels.
It just turned out that they were both future stars which made it possible to make a trade to move one of them to pick up a pressing hole in our line up with another all star caliber player.

I like the position we are in right now as we have 3 very good starters that most every team would love to have. We need to hang onto them as it’s going to be hard to find a future superstar by drafting later in the draft and now that we are winning sacramento finally has started to become a destination to free agents would like to come to (Well kinda)

I'm not particularly interested in relitigating the trade, at this point, but I've been saying since the minute it happened that Monte McNair deserves a ton of credit for grabbing an undervalued all-star big in his prime while unloading Buddy Hield's salary and surrendering precisely zero first round picks; he even managed to snag a second round pick for his trouble.

Things appear to be working out well for the Pacers. Tyrese Haliburton is a star. But it doesn't change the fact that Monte McNair really put in work and absolutely changed this franchise's fortunes in the process. There's a reason he won Exec of the Year last season. He saw what others didn't and transformed the Kings into a winner almost overnight.

I like the position we are in right now as we have 3 very good starters that most every team would love to have. We need to hang onto them as it’s going to be hard to find a future superstar by drafting later in the draft and now that we are winning sacramento finally has started to become a destination to free agents would like to come to (Well kinda)
Thing about this is that it's true for the type of role player vets that want to come in and contribute to a winner, exactly like Javale Abdul Jabee.

I maintain that we don't actually need that "third star" to come here through FA, that Keegan will become that (nearly is). What we then need are super subs and savvy vets. We're now exactly the type of place those players want to come to - especially with just a bit more success.

Last edited:
Who knows for sure how it would have played out had Hali remained here.
One thing is for sure, NO WAY Hali averages 12+ assists per game sharing point guard duties with Fox.

Without those massive assist totals, Hali wouldn't have reached this "superstar" ascent here in Sacramento sharing the ball with Fox. Fox on the other hand could have still achieved "superstar" status averaging 6-7 assists per game, like he is now.

On their own individual merits, Hali will more than likely be more valuable than Sabonis but we almost all agree that Sabonis is a better fit with Fox. I'm sure Hali and Sabonis would have been good as well.

Look no further than the Clippers as far as what happens when there's too many cooks in the kitchen. Some players just have overlapping skills that don't work well with others. Kawhi and PG work well together. Russ and Harden don't work well with anyone anymore. Fox doesn't play off the ball that well with another lead guard but he plays off ball very well with the inside/out game with Sabonis.

On their own individual merits, Hali will more than likely be more valuable than Sabonis but we almost all agree that Sabonis is a better fit with Fox. I'm sure Hali and Sabonis would have been good as well.

Look no further than the Clippers as far as what happens when there's too many cooks in the kitchen. Some players just have overlapping skills that don't work well with others. Kawhi and PG work well together. Russ and Harden don't work well with anyone anymore. Fox doesn't play off the ball that well with another lead guard but he plays off ball very well with the inside/out game with Sabonis.
It is only a prediction, that "will more than likely be more valuable" ... What I see that Sabonis was more valuable last year and is more valuable NOW and - also my prediction - in future too.
IMHO, Hali is overhyped after few good games. I predicted that soon Pacers will go to their usual positions, like 8-12 places as more loses will come. And tonight's Pacers game was awful and Hali played very bad: many turnovers, bad decisions, missing shots.

Not sure what happened after the Houston game where he took 4 shots. But something changed or clicked after that game. In the 6 games since he has averaged almost 26 points on 14 shots/game.
I think he took those Houston losses personally and realized we can't ever let something like that happen again. He's been slowly getting more comfortable with taking shots out to about 15 feet, and then of course the threes. That turnaround 15 foot jumper was gorgeous. I just think he prizes offensive efficiency above all else and so only wanted to take high % shots. but what's crazy is his fg% is actually going up during this. Dude is the most efficient player in the league, and I don't mean just shooting efficiency. I mean as in physics. The engine of our offense operates at an elite level of efficiency when it goes through Domas, whether he's taking the shots, passing to others, or moving the ball from one side of the floor to the other. It's an efficient machine and Domas is the key cog.