Do You Know Where Sacramento Is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For die hard Kings fans, this season has been an unmitigated disaster. We went from breaking out as NBA darlings - a loyal and diehard fan base that saved the team and was rewarded with a great product - to worse than a joke. Personally, I started to doubt whether keeping the team was even worth it. I love the game of basketball, and the Kings were a big part of that love affair. It was painful to start feeling the doubt that maybe it was all for nothing, and that Sacramento would end up paying for an albatross of an arena to support a dysfunctional franchise that could do nothing but alienate the fan base.

Being from the Sacramento area and being a Kings fan is a strange experience. One of the most odd things about Kings fans is that they exist at all. Walk around Sacramento for a day and ask around about the Kings, and you will find a significant amount of indifference from people who forgot the Kings still exist, annoyance that the city paid for a shiny new arena for some spoiled millionaires,and condescension from born-and-bred locals who decided to adopt the Warriors or (*shudder*) Lakers as "their" team. Walk around San Francisco asking about the Giants, or talk about the Lakers in LA, and you're nearly certain to have a different experience - nearly everyone wants to rep the teams, even the most die-hard sports apathetics feel compelled to voice nominal interest in and support for those teams.

Of course, why this is might be a little complicated. The Sacramento Kings are a very young team, having been in town for less than 30 years. I would bet that 95% of season ticket holders are older than the team, and a good majority were full-grown adults when the team was born. Sports fandom has a lot to do with family, friends, and tradition, and it's understandable that long-standing Lakers or Warriors fans would hold to that fandom, and even pass it on to their children, despite the young upstart coming to town.

So there's something unique about being a Kings fan, and it represents something different to all of us. What is special to me is that the Kings represent where I am from, which no other team truly does. The vast region from the Central Valley to foothill towns and the Sierra Crest and Lake Tahoe is strong, independent, and full of people who take deep pride in their communities - with LA and the Bay Area taking the big stages of California, it's easy to try to jump away to where there you live next to famous movies stars, musicians, tech geniuses turned overnight billionaires, and landmarks known the world over. To me, the Kings represent a certain amount of pride and solidarity, something that makes being a Kings feel like something special.

The Demarcus quote I reference in the title of this post is a big part of why I love him. He is an all star who could get a massive contract from any team in the league, who could chase the path of international superstardom on a massive stage. I firmly believe that he'll get there no matter what - he's just that good - but his quote says that he's someone loyal, who takes pride in his personal past and history, and understands what it means to rep a small town or (in his case) a small state that's too often forgotten or, when discussed, seen as nothing more than a butt of jokes, with residents who try to flee at the first chance they get and adopt a new city while forgetting their roots. People move away from their home towns for a variety of different opportunities and reasons, but where you call home and where your heart is says a lot about someone.

I love the Karl hire for a similar reason - when he talks about his respect for Sacramento and the fanbase, you know where he's coming from. It's a genuine respect for who we are and what we do, born out of decades of traveling around to every city in the league, past and present.

Where we are now feels like something special. We have an all-time great coach and star player who are set to accomplish something truly special and historic, and it feels that much more exciting to know that they're guys who understand what it means to be from a place like Sacramento, who know our passion and love for this team and what it represents. We have the foundation for a truly great team - not this year, of course, but for the better part of the next decade, when we can come together on the Capitol Mall, not as die-hard fans of a maligned and dysfunctional small market franchise, nor as the little brother hard-luck team of California, but as fans of the Sacramento Kings, a team that truly belongs to us, and a team that will represent us well - with loyalty, respect, a beautiful new arena, and a squad that is going to lodge quite a few wins over the next couple of years. I'm excited to be proud of being a fan of the Kings, and even more excited to see what comes next.

Do you know where Sacramento is?

G

GQ_Gabriel

Sacramento born and raised, I love this team.

Great read, CB, your passion is bar-none and charisma is always what makes reading your posts such a joy. Thank you!

#SacramentoPROUD

G

GQ_Gabriel

Sacramento is somewhere over in Murica I think...

Well I'm not sure why this picture is allowed to be posted here, I don't mean to be a nuisance but I can see why many people would be offended by this, even if it's a joke, a bad one at that.

Sacto is home, we are great and us fans regardless of age are the future of the region. winning cures all. Karl and boogie will put us back on the map as will an MLS team when that comes through shortly

Born in Mercy Hospital when Elvis was a young rocker. Have basically lived in the region all my life. Have been a Kings fan since they first arrived here.
I find Sacramentans to have an inferiority complex, which is sometimes irritating. "We're no good." "Our team sucks." "Were all gonna die!" We get more than our share of this attitude, and then it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. But eventually small towns outgrow their provincial nature and become more mature (or else they stagnate and die). Some become worldly. I think I see the growth and the maturity in Sacramento and in its people. And with a little luck, we'll soon see some growth and maturity in our beloved Kings.

Sacramento born and raised, I love this team.

Great read, CB, your passion is bar-none and charisma is always what makes reading your posts such a joy. Thank you!

#SacramentoPROUD
Thank you! I definitely have an unhealthy passion for and obsession with this team, and it's nice to know that someone else appreciates a little bit of pride and optimism now and then.

Born in Mercy Hospital when Elvis was a young rocker. Have basically lived in the region all my life. Have been a Kings fan since they first arrived here.
I find Sacramentans to have an inferiority complex, which is sometimes irritating. "We're no good." "Our team sucks." "Were all gonna die!" We get more than our share of this attitude, and then it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. But eventually small towns outgrow their provincial nature and become more mature (or else they stagnate and die). Some become worldly. I think I see the growth and the maturity in Sacramento and in its people. And with a little luck, we'll soon see some growth and maturity in our beloved Kings.
I think you nailed it, and I feel like that inferiority complex has been shining through on this message board. Which really sucks.

Oh well, I'll have to go back to screaming at the TV and converting more of my friends to the Gospel of Demarcus.

Was GQ_Gabriel finally banned? His profile page goes to an error now. Glad he's gone because he's a try hard troll.
Wait really? Because it sounds more like disagreeing with Brick / the KF hivemind more than anything. I guess Brickie wasn't joking about going around hunting commies.

And no, he was not my sock puppet (which people here seemed to imply). I sent him a PM explaining to him why people keep calling him a troll, and he seemed to get it. He's just a young kid who was excited about the Kings, as far as I could tell. If it was a troll (and I have ok reason to think so), it would seem more like a false flag of the anti-PDA sect than anything.

I think the mods owe some explanation here, because it looks an awful lot like people being banned for disagreeing with the "brain" trust here.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Wait really? Because it sounds more like disagreeing with Brick / the KF hivemind more than anything. I guess Brickie wasn't joking about going around hunting commies.

And no, he was not my sock puppet. I sent him a PM explaining to him why people keep calling him a troll, and he seemed to get it.

I think the mods owe some explanation here, because it looks an awful lot like people being banned for disagreeing with the "brain" trust here.
Not a mod but, generally, pretending to be some sort of big shot with a bunch of connections in the Kings front office, pulling random player names out of a hat as guys the team is looking at, and then repeatedly failing to back yourself up and getting pithy in response isn't necessarily going to endear you to many people. Especially when it flies in the face of your board person for the five months prior.

I mean, the dude went Enthusiastic fan guy --> angrily supportive of the front office guy --> angry at the front office/confused -->pithy front office supporter guy --> guy with "connections" in the Kings organization, all since the start of the season.

I'm not saying that necessarily warrants banning a guy but let's not pretend that he was Captain Innocent prancing around the Kingfans.com meadow in pink lederhosen.

Glenn

Hall of Famer

And no, he was not my sock puppet (which people here seemed to imply). I sent him a PM explaining to him why people keep calling him a troll, and he seemed to get it. He's just a young kid who was excited about the Kings, as far as I could tell. If it was a troll (and I have ok reason to think so), it would seem more like a false flag of the anti-PDA sect than anything.

Well, I will defend the mods, of course. They are the ones who maintain order around here even if you don't like it. This forum has blossomed from year 2000 until gradually picking up a membership that could run an NBA team. I think once we tried to figure out the average age. It's high. I give credit to the mods. Older people probably have more to offer and are less likely to splatter gobbledy gook around the forum. This of course is a biased statement of mine.

I don't think they owe anyone an explanation.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Not a mod but, generally, pretending to be some sort of big shot with a bunch of connections in the Kings front office, pulling random player names out of a hat as guys the team is looking at, and then repeatedly failing to back yourself up and getting pithy in response isn't necessarily going to endear you to many people. Especially when it flies in the face of your board person for the five months prior.

I mean, the dude went Enthusiastic fan guy --> angrily supportive of the front office guy --> angry at the front office/confused -->pithy front office supporter guy --> guy with "connections" in the Kings organization, all since the start of the season.

I'm not saying that necessarily warrants banning a guy but let's not pretend that he was Captain Innocent prancing around the Kingfans.com meadow in pink lederhosen.
Anyone who lies and distorts becomes one not to believe. How do you know what is true? Do you need a magic decoder ring? He exasperated me a lot in a way that hasn't happened in more than a year's time. There have been other people who are temporary irritants and the tend not to last long. No doubt, he lasted as long as he did by the graces of the mods. At some point you have to pull the plug.

Glenn

Hall of Famer

Bravo for trying to help him. More people should do that.

Well, I will defend the mods, of course. They are the ones who maintain order around here even if you don't like it. This forum has blossomed from year 2000 until gradually picking up a membership that could run an NBA team. I think once we tried to figure out the average age. It's high. I give credit to the mods. Older people probably have more to offer and are less likely to splatter gobbledy gook around the forum. This of course is a biased statement of mine.

I don't think they owe anyone an explanation.
Look I support the mods here as well, it's why I've been on this site for so long.

I'm just frustrated that there is increasingly less actual discussion here, and dissenting opinions are being mocked and pushed out.

I also disagree that there is talent here to run an NBA team, and that's part of the problem. We all have opinions, but too many posters believe that they are absolutely correct and discount and distort every piece of news that comes out to fit their perspective.

This forum is also on the decline, and has been taken over by a younger site with a worse user interface. There are active threads about chasing out 'plants' on this site, and everyone wants to murder our GM. The discourse level is down near zero at this point, which makes it upsetting when newer posters get banned because they don't tow the party line.

-yes he was troll-ish, but he seemed genuine. Then he gets banned for calling out Brick, with no public statements from the mods. Why would any new poster want to join in this environment?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Look I support the mods here as well, it's why I've been on this site for so long.

I'm just frustrated that there is increasingly less actual discussion here, and dissenting opinions are being mocked and pushed out.

I also disagree that there is talent here to run an NBA team, and that's part of the problem. We all have opinions, but too many posters believe that they are absolutely correct and discount and distort every piece of news that comes out to fit their perspective.

This forum is also on the decline, and has been taken over by a younger site with a worse user interface. There are active threads about chasing out 'plants' on this site, and everyone wants to murder our GM. The discourse level is down near zero at this point, which makes it upsetting when newer posters get banned because they don't tow the party line.

-yes he was troll-ish, but he seemed genuine. Then he gets banned for calling out Brick, with no public statements from the mods. Why would any new poster want to join in this environment?
If the fact that all our McCarthyism things were jokes flew over your head, I'm not quite sure what to tell you.

^^On this board, you're not banned for dissenting opinions, but for disgusting behaviour. These are the most fair and upright mods I've seen on any discussion board on the interwebs, and if they banned you, you pretty much had it comming.

Glenn

Hall of Famer

My spidey sense tingled with him. You're in a bad mood. Maybe he can come back at a later date but seriously, once someone has lied, their credibility is dead.

If other forums can actually have discussions about this year, good for them. This year was one year less that I get to watch the Kings.

If the fact that all our McCarthyism things were jokes flew over your head, I'm not quite sure what to tell you.
This board has lately become a giant anti-PDA circle jerk. If you don't recognize the decline in actual spirited debate being replace with "kill the gerbil" is a problem, I don't know what to tell you.

Also, were talking about one of the only pro-PDA posters being shadow banned without a public warning from the mods right after calling out a mod who said he should be appointed dictator of the Kings. I think we need to talk about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.