Discussion of Kings' TV broadcast/studio personalities (split)

Okay, I know this will probably be a controversial post and I'll get hammered for it but this has been something that has been bothering me for a while now. What is the enamor with Bobby Jackson in this town? I've never really gotten it. Sure, he played with passion and was a big part in helping our great teams way back win, but honestly, he's not even really a likable guy to me. Furthermore, he is almost unbearable to listen to on the radio. His command of the English language is suspect to say the least and he just babbles on about stuff and I tune him out after a minute or so. I just don't really see what he adds to the broadcast. I guess I just feel like sometimes they push these ex-players on us so much but don't really care about their ability....

Doug Christie, on the other hand, is fabulous. There is so much to like about him both in his passion, charisma, and the content he provides.

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I feel like there is some level of legitimate criticism about Bobby Jackson's style on the air. Jackson seems as though he understands the game well enough, and he is indeed a "straight shooter." And he has the cache of being a former player that a lot of people, particularly hardcore sports fans, seem to think is important, for some reason. But it isn't really enough to understand the game, IMO, you also have to be able to articulate your thoughts in a way that is neither too erudite nor too "dumbed down."

Bobby Jackson doesn't strike me as the most articulate person that they could have put on the air. Even when it seems as though he understands what he's explaining, he doesn't really get his understanding across on the air. And, between his low voice and his accent, it's not the easiest thing in the world to understand him, even when he is being clear. Doug Christie is much better at articulating his thoughts in that regard. Kayte Christensen is even better, but some people seem resistant to increasing her role, because of reasons.

The one aspect where I might say that Christie is the best of the three is when it comes to conveying enthusiasm. As someone who is not "Hardcore Sports Guy," I tend to prefer some entertainment with my sports. None of those guys really provide that, but Christie does bring the most energy and enthusiasm of the three, which is what generally passes for "entertaining" in Hardcore Sports Land. That's why I typically prefer three-person teams, both for studio shows and during broadcasts: one "straight man," to report the action (the "host" for the studio show, the play-by-play person for the broadcast), one analyst to explain the action, and an additional "color commentator," to provide context for the action. My ideal booth would probably be Jason Ross on play-by-play, Kayte Christensen as analyst, and Carmichael Dave as color commentator. For the studio, I'd keep Haberman, make Christie full-time co-host, and add Pollard as the color guy.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
You may not have read too many of @KingsFanSince85's thoughts on the subject. Or the relatively recently departed @SacramentoKings. And they're hardly solitary voices, although many of them may have been shamed into hiding... Are you demanding that I go down the "search" rabbit hole?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
You may not have read too many of @KingsFanSince85's thoughts on the subject. Or the relatively recently departed @SacramentoKings. And they're hardly solitary voices, although many of them may have been shamed into hiding... Are you demanding that I go down the "search" rabbit hole?
No, this isn't some sort of contest here. I just don't remember anybody saying they wanted less of Kayte (clearly you do) but it seems like lots of folks would like to see her in one of the courtside chairs. Maybe we just notice different opinions.

Go way back on this subject to 1985. First off, I have never been fan of Grant Napear. Met "Peaches" long ago (1990-91) and always came across to me as know it all condescending twit. Yes, can be enthusiastic NBA TV announcer but his radio show so hard to listen to with arrogant insults hurled regularly at callers. Some have excused his style or lack of style as just inbred New York City attitude but to me that's bull. The dude has been in Sacramento now half his life and should know environment here much more laid back and respectful. And especially we do not take kindly to all the constant New York Football Giants hype or fact said decade ago said he was not Kings fan, just their broadcaster. Although later amended that somewhat by saying not fan of New York Knicks. He is a die hard New York Yankees and New York Rangers blowhard and anyone listening to radio show would surely know it. Simply put, Napear is a New York homer and you Sac-town sucker fans will have to swallow forever it seems. I'd love for Vivek to fire him (finally!) before next season (although has couple years left on TV contract) with new Kings TV team and a new arena. Obviously Jerry Reynolds is near end of his long run but don't have anything against him as he bleeds Kings powder blue from the old days. Of course G-Man ultimate in class, dignity, professionalism, and should have a statue in his honor erected outside Golden One Center.

Regarding Bobby Jackson, see him as one of greatest Kings 6th Man ever but mediocre analyst mainly due to stupid use of the English language. Doug Christie and Kayte Christensen so much more talented on air. BJax reminds me of Henry "High Flyer" Turner who was another Kings player who somehow got on air gig for years in town despite fumbling words every other dumbed down sentence.

And to OP; "probably be a controversial post and I'll get hammered for it." Don't worry it's subject worth discussing, airing out, hopefully fixing by Kings management going forward.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
No, this isn't some sort of contest here. I just don't remember anybody saying they wanted less of Kayte (clearly you do) but it seems like lots of folks would like to see her in one of the courtside chairs. Maybe we just notice different opinions.
I'll cosign Slim's comments on this. There have been a few Kayte detractors around who voiced their opinion that she wasn't good enough to take a broadcaster slot.

Now, on a related note, I took another survey from the NBA about the Kings. One portion of the survey related to the broadcast personnel but lumped in radio personnel with TV. Very disappointing survey in that regard. Check your emails. If you subscribe to the Kings newsletter you should probably have received an invite to take the survey - and you get 15% off from the online team store if you complete it. :)

I just don't remember anybody saying they wanted less of Kayte (clearly you do) but it seems like lots of folks would like to see her in one of the courtside chairs. Maybe we just notice different opinions.
I'll cosign Slim's comments on this. There have been a few Kayte detractors around who voiced their opinion that she wasn't good enough to take a broadcaster slot.
You are correct sir. I was referenced here, so I'll weigh in again. As Capt. suggested, I never once intimated that Kayte should be marginalized. I think she's fine in the role she's currently in. I just provided a counter to those that keep bringing her name up as some unappreciated superstar talent that is worthy of much more than she's achieved. I've never once been a proactive voice against her in any way. Only a reactive voice to those that continue to embrace hyperbole. That's the long and short of it.

I think she's good at what she does. I like her. Always have. I just don't see the same greatness that Slim, VF, Brick and a few others see. To each their own. I more so object to the manner in which it is continually preached -- as if it's a cold hard fact and if you don't see it or agree, your wrong. I have no problem with differing opinions. But that's exactly what all of our thoughts on this manner are -- opinions. Nothing more.

For example, I happen to like both BJax and Doug Christie. For various reasons. However, I certainly understand that they may not be everyone's cup of tea, especially Bobby. Bobby isn't a well-articulated person. But that doesn't bother me. He brings a player perspective that I find interesting. It also really helps his cause that he was an impactful player on the most beloved team in Sacramento franchise history. Same goes for Doug, except that he is much more polished and articulates his thoughts much more clearly. I fully reject the notion that Kayte knows more basketball than either of those two. There's simply no evidence of it. She may articulate her points better by some ears, but that's a preference thing. At the same time, I don't believe Doug or Bobby are overwhelming color material either. Like Kayte, I believe they're just fine where they currently are.

As for our current play-by-play and color tandem. I take them for they are. I don't dislike Jerry to the degree that many here do, but I understand the criticism. I actually like Jerry's straight homerism, long ties to the franchise, and penchant for being a tad silly. Grant, on the other hand, has worn on my nerves. Not only do I think he's a jinx (always predicts a dagger 3 just before it happens), his role as an outspoken radio personality often puts him at odds with players and I just think his style has run it's course. But then again, that's just my opinion.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think she's good at what she does. I like her. Always have. I just don't see the same greatness that Slim, VF, Brick and a few others see. To each their own. I more so object to the manner in which it is continually preached -- as if it's a cold hard fact and if you don't see it or agree, your wrong. I have no problem with differing opinions. But that's exactly what all of our thoughts on this manner are -- opinions. Nothing more.
Do you know her background? Her qualifications to talk about the game of basketball? I submit she's eminently more qualified than Grant Napear could even dream of being.

I cannot speak for Brick, or Slim, or anyone else you're referencing, but I've met Kayte several times. I was privileged to attend several of the House Party Live broadcasts and her knowledge of the sport we love was unprecedented. She speaks from experience on all levels of the sport. In addition, she is very well regarded by most players.

But you are right - we are all entitled to our opinions. I admit, however, that I tend to bristle when it's obvious that the person making the comment about Kayte is speaking without knowing who she is or her qualifications (and I'm speaking in general terms now, and not specifically to or about you).

Do you know her background? Her qualifications to talk about the game of basketball? I submit she's eminently more qualified than Grant Napear could even dream of being.

however, that I tend to bristle when it's obvious that the person making the comment about Kayte is speaking without knowing who she is or her qualifications (and I'm speaking in general terms now, and not specifically to or about you).
To answer your question -- yes, I am fully aware of her qualifications and background. I used to follow the WNBA from the Monarchs inception until their move, so I'm familiar with her from those years as well as her first stint with the Kings and then with Phoenix.

As for the Napear comment, she may be more qualified from a player perspective, but not from a play-by-play commentator perspective. A lot of play-by-play guys -- and I would guess the vast majority in all sports -- don't have professional or collegiate playing experience. They majored in broadcasting, journalism, communications, etc. and began doing play-by-play in high school or college. I believe Grant started out at Bowling Green. You don't see many former players become play-by-play broadcasters. It's a different skill that doesn't really require a ton of in-depth knowledge of said sport. That's why the color commentator is there in support. That said, Grant has seen a lot since 1987 or 1988, whenever it was he started, and he does have a lot of insight because of it. I tend to disagree with many of his opinions, but he is more than qualified to do what he does.

To answer your question -- yes, I am fully aware of her qualifications and background. I used to follow the WNBA from the Monarchs inception until their move, so I'm familiar with her from those years as well as her first stint with the Kings and then with Phoenix.

As for the Napear comment, she may be more qualified from a player perspective, but not from a play-by-play commentator perspective. A lot of play-by-play guys -- and I would guess the vast majority in all sports -- don't have professional or collegiate playing experience. They majored in broadcasting, journalism, communications, etc. and began doing play-by-play in high school or college. I believe Grant started out at Bowling Green. You don't see many former players become play-by-play broadcasters. It's a different skill that doesn't really require a ton of in-depth knowledge of said sport. That's why the color commentator is there in support. That said, Grant has seen a lot since 1987 or 1988, whenever it was he started, and he does have a lot of insight because of it. I tend to disagree with many of his opinions, but he is more than qualified to do what he does.

I have been staying out of this convo for obvious reasons but ^^^^THIS