Detroit # 12

Marc Stein and others are reporting that Detroit is open to trading the 12th pick for a win now veteran.

We have numerous ties to Detroit with Ken and Scott etc. We are thin on veterans but perhaps Koufos or Tolliver could come into play here.

What are your thoughts on a trade with Detroit for 12, and how then could we best utilize the 10th and 12th picks?

Just spit-balling but if it was Koufos sent out, maybe Collins makes more sense at 10th and OG or someone else at 12th.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Marco Bellinelli was traded for the 22nd pick. So who is 10 spots better than Marco?
Well Temple would probably fill the bill, but I don't want to deal him if I don't have to. The next best guess would be Koufos. Perhaps they would go for Koufos, and we take back some salary as well. Not sure who they would want to part with. Leour perhaps? I know they have very little cap room and Caldwell-Pope is going to be a freeagent after next season.

This is why coach/GM is a terrible idea. Coaches are ALWAYS in win now mode. We don't have any win now players anyways outside of Temple but I feel he's more valuable to us.

Not only the GM/Coach win now dynamic, but they have a new arena to fill if I am not mistaken. Win now doesn't make the most sense to me for Detroit but I can follow the line of thinking.

Last year the 12th pick was dealt for Jeff Teague. As I said we are thin on vets. They have Drummond tied to a $127m deal but he has regressed horribly. Perhaps Koufos to back him up.

For salaries to take back I could see John Leur, Boban or even Stanley Johnson as possibilities.

Temple does make sense from Detroit's perspective but I agree with Bajaden, I would hate to lose him.

Yeah if Teague was dealt for the 12th pick in a weak draft, I can't see us having what they want for the 12th pick. Too bad because it would be nice to package the 5th and 10th or 12th to move up and guarantee us Fox.

Marc Stein and others are reporting that Detroit is open to trading the 12th pick for a win now veteran.

We have numerous ties to Detroit with Ken and Scott etc. We are thin on veterans but perhaps Koufos or Tolliver could come into play here.

What are your thoughts on a trade with Detroit for 12, and how then could we best utilize the 10th and 12th picks?

Just spit-balling but if it was Koufos sent out, maybe Collins makes more sense at 10th and OG or someone else at 12th.
Great thinking but hell no on losing Koufos especially to increase the number in our Boy Scout camp.

@pshn80

I really really like Koufos. He is super solid for a big on a good contract averaging $8.2m yearly. He makes a perfect mentor for Papa as well, and is a good character presence. I am just looking at what we could offer that would even be feasible.

On the matter of having too many young players, I can understand. The fact is though we are rebuilding and that takes stocking the cupboards with young fresh talent with upside.

SVG has said any deal for any player is always a possibility. This may all be a non-story or smoke and mirrors on Detroits part. Worthy of consideration though.
@kingsboi
I agree with you to an extent. It makes no sense from a logical "How can we get into the top 4 seeds in the EC" standpoint. However from a "I am SVG and I may be on the hotseat soon. We also have a new arena to fill, lets get to the 7th-8th seed" standpoint it makes sense.
Not to mention SVG's track record for youth development in Detroit is so far poor.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
It seems like in every draft, the picks get overvalued. If Teague was traded for a 12th pick, what the heck could you get for a 5th pick?

I get it. I can think of quite a few players taken in the 10-12 range who were never as good as Temple or Koufos. Besides how many young players can you play?
It's about acquiring assets. Let's say DET had a bad reaction to some meds and traded us #12 for Koufos. Well now we can package 10 and 12 and get something in return really nice.

I get it. I can think of quite a few players taken in the 10-12 range who were never as good as Temple or Koufos. Besides how many young players can you play?
You don't draft players in the 10-12 range to be backups... you draft them hoping they can be at the very least, a starter. Again, would you trade Kyle O'Quinn(equal player to Koufos) and Lance Thomas(equal player to Temple) for #10? no, you wouldn't.

This is another classic Kings case of over-valuing our players. I think both of them could fetch a late 1st rounder, but definitely not a lotto pick.

We don't need another lottery pick. If we sign Bogdan and keep our #5 and #10, that's 3 rookies to go with 4 rookies from last year (Papa G, Malachi, Buddy, Skal). That's 7 1st or 2nd year players to start next season. We don't need an 8th.

It's about acquiring assets. Let's say DET had a bad reaction to some meds and traded us #12 for Koufos. Well now we can package 10 and 12 and get something in return really nice.
The more young players we have, and it looks like we will add 3 to our current 6, the more important it is to keep Koufos. The deal described may be a steal but we don't need or want any mote 1 and done "assets ". Let s concentrate on getting good or great "assets" with the picks we have. Let's do it and then cut off the in-flow of 19 year olds.

I doubt the Kings would have any real interest in that pick unless there is someone they absolutely love there. We have a ton of young guys already and are set to add several more and we have a great group of vets to bring them along.

You don't draft players in the 10-12 range to be backups... you draft them hoping they can be at the very least, a starter. Again, would you trade Kyle O'Quinn(equal player to Koufos) and Lance Thomas(equal player to Temple) for #10? no, you wouldn't.

This is another classic Kings case of over-valuing our players. I think both of them could fetch a late 1st rounder, but definitely not a lotto pick.
Well I think we just agree to disagree:) Another classic case of over-valuing draft picks. I especially do not agree with your player comparisons. Koufos and Temple have both "started" quite a few games in the Association. But you have a right to your opinion:)

bajaden

Hall of Famer
It seems like in every draft, the picks get overvalued. If Teague was traded for a 12th pick, what the heck could you get for a 5th pick?
In this draft, probably quite a bit. But as to the value of the 12th. I think it depends on the situation of the team. Are you trying to get into the playoffs? Are you in a rebuild mode? Are you already a playoff team, but you feel you need some important depth to move up a notch or two? The Kings and the Pistons are on two different paths. So their needs are different, and the way they might value a player like Koufos, or Temple is different. Neither Koufos or Temple are in the long range plans of the Kings, but they both serve a short term purpose. The question is, how valuable is that purpose when compared to the long range value of a young talented player in the draft.?

In the Pistons case, they would look at either Koufos or Temple as having far more value in the immediate than a rookie you could get with the 12th pick. Especially with a coach like SVG, who looks at rookies like they're pall bearers for his coffin. Yes, both Temple and Koufos are bench players, but they're highly valued bench players around the league. From the Kings point of view, do we need one more young player? Probably not! So it would depend on who that young player is, and how he fits in the long range plans of the team. If your just shooting arrows in the air in hope that one of them hits the target, then I'd rather keep both Koufos and Temple.

This is the sort of trade you would make on draft day when you would know exactly who you would be drafting at 12. Personally I think the draft has several tiers. Fultz is in one tier all by himself. then there is the second tier of about 4 players made up of Jackson, Ball, Tatum, and Fox. The third tier is made up of Smith (some would have him in that 2nd tier) Isaac, Markkanen, Monk, Ntilikina, and perhaps Zach Collins. That's eleven players. After that, there's another drop off. So you can see where I'm going with this. Were talking about the 12th pick, which is right on the edge of the drop off. Of course someone could, and probably will slide. If the Pistons had the 10th pick, they might not be talking about trading it.

Let me add one more thing. I've done my share of criticizing Smith. But if he comes to the NBA with the right attitude, he would be just one notch below Fultz. If he comes with the right attitude, he's the 2nd best PG in this draft. Of course that's a big if for me. I had these same reservations about Drummond, and while he had a terrific rookie season, he's now living up to my expectations. I'm not looking for a quarter horse who quits at the quarter mile mark. I want a thoroughbred who runs the entire distance. That said, if I'm going to gamble at all in this draft, I'd gamble on Smith if Fox is gone.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

You know, in general, at least on this forum, people tend to undervalue our players. Which is what your doing right now to some extent. I don't think anyone can make a blanket statement about the value of any player without taking the situation into consideration. As I just posted, how a player is valued depends on the situation of that team. I have no idea how SVG values either of Koufos or Temple, but I do know both those players have a lot of value around the league. If your SVG and you think Temple, or Koufos could be the difference maker for you to make the playoffs, you just might pull the trigger on that.

Do I want to trade either Koufos or Temple? No! Why not? Because both are very good players that bring more than just their skill level to the team. They bring those intangibles that every team is looking for. And, they don't live in an isolated bubble. The whole league knows their value or reputation. So who knows what a team may be willing to give up to acquire them. Who knows how desperate SVG and the Pistons are?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I doubt the Kings would have any real interest in that pick unless there is someone they absolutely love there. We have a ton of young guys already and are set to add several more and we have a great group of vets to bring them along.
I would think that the Kings have more interest in upgrading their picks, than they do adding more picks. If things stay the way they are, the Kings will add four more young players, well three more very young players, and one slightly older player in Bogdanovic to the team. A team that already has four 1st year players and one 2nd year player on it. That would be nine very young players. We would likely be the youngest team in the NBA. We need some veterans on the floor to tell the young players where to stand. I don't see where adding one more young player to that mix is helpful, unless you feel that you've found a can't miss player that somehow everyone else has missed.

If I'm the Kings, I would looking for future assets to stash away. Give me a 1st round pick in 2021, or how about 2019, where we don't have our pick.

Remember players like KK while great team guys and are nothing short of professional across the board still have their own best interest in mind. I think his current value in draft terms is a late 1st early 2nd that's why in this theoretical trade where SVG offers a lottery pick we would have to jump on that. Just a reminder KK has already been traded 3 times in his career last time for D. Arthur and the 55th pick. Nobody is saying to trade KK just for the sake of it but for that price... sold.