Defensive Big Man Choices

Someone to keep an eye on is Andreis Beidrens formally of the Golden State Warriors.

He used to be a 10pts 10reb 1.5blk per game big just a few years ago.

He had some nagging injuries and lost his confidence. He has ties to Malone and Vivek while in Golden State and will come very cheap. If Malone can help resurrect his career, he would be a low risk, high reward FA pickup. And he is still pretty young, 28 or 29 years old.

Taj Gibson is overrated on this forum. Isn't he 6'7? Full sized players only please.
Height without Shoes:

Hasheem Thabeet - 7'1.25"

Aaron Gray- 7' 0"

BJ Mullens- 6' 11.75

Tyson Chandler- 6' 11.5"

Brooke Lopez- 6' 11.25"
Mason Plumlee - 6' 11.25"

Greg Oden- 6' 11"
JaValle Mcgee- 6' 11"
Kevin Garnet - 6' 11"
Ryan Hollins - 6' 11" (?)
Joel Embiid (?)

Joakim Noah- 6' 10.5"
Spencer Hawes- 6' 10.5"
Miles Plumlee - 6' 10.5"
Hassan Whiteside - 6' 10.5"

Chris Bosh- 6' 10.25"
Tiago Splitter- 6' 10.25

LaMarcus Aldridge- 6' 10"
Nerlens Noel- 6' 10"

De Andre Jordan- 6' 9.75"
Andre Drummond- 6' 9.75"
Greg Monroe- 6' 9.75"

Cousins- 6' 9.5"

Anthony Davis- 6' 9.25"
Jordan Hill- 6' 9.25"
Larry Sanders- 6' 9.25"
Nene Hilario- 6' 9.25"

Dwight Howard- 6' 9"
John Henson- 6' 9"
Cole Aldrich- 6' 9"
Kevin Durant- 6' 9"
Ed Davis- 6' 9"
Eric Moreland- 6' 9"

Al Horford- 6' 8.75"
Derrick Favors- 6' 8.75"
Emeka Okafor- 6' 8.75"
Brandan Wright - 6' 8.75"
Ekpe Udoh- 6' 8.75"
Nick Collison- 6' 8.75"
Quincy Miller - 6' 8.75"

Taj Gibson - 6' 8.5"
Blake Griffin- 6' 8.5"
Kyle O'Quinn - 6' 8.5"

David West- 6' 8.25"
Donte Green- 6' 8.25"

Alex Oriakhi- 6' 8"

Kevin Love- 6' 7.75"
David Lee- 6' 7.75"
Carlos Boozer- 6' 7.75"
Thomas Robinson- 6' 7.75"
Carl Landry- 6' 7.75"
Udonis Haslem- 6' 7.75"
Jeff Green- 6' 7.75"
Ersan Ilyasova - 6' 7.75"

Reggie Evans - 6' 7.5"

Derrick Williams- 6' 7.25"
James Jones- 6' 7.25"
Lebron James- 6' 7.25"

Michael Beasley- 6' 7"
Josh Smith- 6' 7"
Trevor Arriza- 6' 7"

Kenneth Faried - 6' 6"

Thaddeus Young- 6' 5.75"

2014 DRAFT:

Noah Vonleh- 6' 8"

Julius Randle- 6' 7.75"

AAron Gordon- 6' 7.5"

Last edited:
Is anyone else worried that we will once again talk a lot of defence and do a who lot of recruiting of offensive players and once again go into the off-season without a shot blocker on the roster. At least one that would be getting at least 25mpg on a good team?

You guys probably know more about Henson as I do. I know he blocks shots, but is he a legit defender? A lot of guys can block shots or get steals but that doesn't make them good defenders. How is his defensive awareness?

You guys probably know more about Henson as I do. I know he blocks shots, but is he a legit defender? A lot of guys can block shots or get steals but that doesn't make them good defenders. How is his defensive awareness?
He is not a legit defender yet! Defensively someone like Sanders is miles in front of him but Henson has the tools to be a very good team defender. Its a lot more than we have at the moment so you take that risk and see if he becomes a very good team defender. At worst, we got a long shot blocker and that still helps this team immensely!

K

KingMilz

I still think Jordan Hill on a decent deal is the way to go, unless we take a gamble on Sanders or by some miracle convince the Hawks to trade Horford to us he's kind of the only legit starting level PF who can play both ends of the floor while playing with relentless effort. I would also swap Gay for Smith if that were possible to play Smith at the PF.

I sure hope we make an attempt to acquire Henson.
omg, yes please! henson does something just as important as blocking shots. he passes the ball! i believe he has something like 3+ assists per 100 possessions. meanwhile, all our bigs have just 1 or less. that raises him above most other possible big men for me.

He is not a legit defender yet! Defensively someone like Sanders is miles in front of him but Henson has the tools to be a very good team defender. Its a lot more than we have at the moment so you take that risk and see if he becomes a very good team defender. At worst, we got a long shot blocker and that still helps this team immensely!
maybe not a legit defender right now, but even so, right now he allows 46.3 FG% at the rim, which would be the best on our team (source: nba.com)

Last edited:
A curiosity thread. List out in order, how you would rank the following 10 potential defensive bigs, as fits for us.

First list them by order of preference, all things (including contracts) included.

Second list them by how attainable you think they realistically are.

Derrick Favors (Age: 23, 4yrs $49mil)
Serge Ibaka (Age: 25, 3yrs $37.5mil)
Roy Hibbert (Age: 28, 2yrs $30.3mil (2nd yr is player option)
Taj Gibson (Age: 29, 3yrs 25.5mil)
Omar Asik (Age: 28, 1yr $15mil)
Javale McGee (Age: 26, 2yrs $23.3mil)
Anderson Varejao (Age: 32, 1yr $9.8mil)
Josh Smith (Age: 29, 3yrs $42mil)
Larry Sanders (Age: 26, 4yrs $44mil)
Tyson Chandler (Age: 32, 1`yr $14.6mil)
I would love to see PDA's lists.

Any interest in Birdman? I know he's on his last legs, but he might give us a good year or two. I feel like he wants to get paid (guessing 2-4 per year) and probably isn't going to care about going to a contender. I get a funny feeling he'd fit in in NorCal, give us immediate impact, and hopefully be a good influence on DMC.

FWIW, I'd obviously prefer a Deandre or Ibaka first, but I don't think we can get them.

Any interest in Birdman? I know he's on his last legs, but he might give us a good year or two. I feel like he wants to get paid (guessing 2-4 per year) and probably isn't going to care about going to a contender. I get a funny feeling he'd fit in in NorCal, give us immediate impact, and hopefully be a good influence on DMC.

FWIW, I'd obviously prefer a Deandre or Ibaka first, but I don't think we can get them.
None! :D

With us committing to Collison as our PG we have hinted at paying more attention to defense. IT is the superior talent to Collison. I have to believe that IT was let go of not only because theres only 1 basketball on the court but also because of defensive reasons. Collison stays in front of his man and is a pesky defender. If we're going to go this route it is absolutely pivotal that we fill out our starting five with the shot blocking PF that weve been missing. Defend against penetration from opposing pg's (Collison/McCallum) and then defend the basket (shot blocking PF/Cousins). If PDA goes all in and gets the player we need at PF im going to start getting excited. It makes sense. DO IT.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
When he tried to guard Cousins this past season, he got eaten alive. He might be a good weak side help defender, but in man to man isolation, he's just not strong enough to guard the big guys. All of his height is below his waist, so he'll never have a strong core with which to hold position. My position is this. If you have an idea of what your looking for, then don't settle for less than that. Live with what you have until the right deal for the right player comes along. I'm not currently a big fan of Sanders because of his off court nonsense, but Henson can't hold a candle to Sanders on the court.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
We don't have that much money.

Emeka Okafor, Ekpeh Udoh, Ed Davis, and Jordan Hill are still available.

What are you waiting for PDA?
We'd have to do some serious shedding of money in order to just sign them. Otherwise the only way to acquire one of them would be through a trade. Not sure I'd want to gamble on Okafor. He's been injured more than not the last few years. I like Hill, but he's not a great shotblocker. He is a pretty good defender though. I've always been a fan of Udoh's, but he could be fools gold. I'd love to get Davis and give him a legit chance.

We'd have to do some serious shedding of money in order to just sign them. Otherwise the only way to acquire one of them would be through a trade. Not sure I'd want to gamble on Okafor. He's been injured more than not the last few years. I like Hill, but he's not a great shotblocker. He is a pretty good defender though. I've always been a fan of Udoh's, but he could be fools gold. I'd love to get Davis and give him a legit chance.
Udoh's should be available for cheap, but I'm not convinced he's an NBA player. Very poor rebounding and rotations on defense. I put him in the same category as Biyombo. Lots of physical tools but no feel for the game.

Still, there are worse backup centers.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
You want to know why Stauskas did not take #9, but stuck to #10 instead?

Hey, he's what we can afford.

Last edited:
i can't tell if this is a kenny thomas joke because your img failed.

edit: nvm, you fixed it.

i did hear he used to lock up kevin garnett. he could probably lock up garnett now too. we could use that.