David Stern Just Took a Shot at Sacramento Arena Issues

Anyone else listening to the press conference on nba.com?

Someone asked about the Hornets and Seattle, and Stern said the way reason why they moved was because the arena wasn't adequate and that the arena in New Orleans is, hence why the NBA purchased the team to keep them in NO and didn't do so when they were in Seattle.

He then told the guy that asked the question to introduce himself to Ailene, writer for the Sac Bee that earlier asked a question about the Kings Arena and relocating issues. He got a few laughs out of it, but it was a shot nonetheless.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Whatever Stern says, matters little. It's pretty clear the NBA is no longer invested in the Kings staying in Sacramento and the only question is how long the Maloofs will stay invested in the same. I'll give you two deadlines.

1) We have to survive the March 1st relocation filing deadline. As of now, we think we have a good chance of this.
2) There must be a solid, fully-funded arena plan with ground either broken or a solid groundbreaking date by this time next year.

If we survive #1 and survive #2, the Kings will be in Sacramento long term. Otherwise they will be gone. And whatever Stern says doesn't matter.

J

jdbraver

I can already hear them calling for a press conference Mar 1. Do the smart thing and put your kings jerseys on EBAY ASAP.

The March 1 deadline while important is merely an "intent" to relocate a franchise. It can be withdrawn or refused in a vote of the NBA board of governors. More important at this point is deadline for chosen developer Taylor to come up with a fesible plan for a new arena - his 90-days up around mid-May this year. So you might want to wait until around that time to dump the Kings gear.

The March 1 deadline while important is merely an "intent" to relocate a franchise. It can be withdrawn or refused in a vote of the NBA board of governors. More important at this point is deadline for chosen developer Taylor to come up with a fesible plan for a new arena - his 90-days up around mid-May this year. So you might want to wait until around that time to dump the Kings gear.
Lets be real here! If Maloofs put up their hands to relocate the Kings, there is NO ONE on the NBA board of governors that would deny them this request. The owners have been trying to get the arena build for over a decade and if they have finally had enough and want to move, no one can really blame them. There comes a time when enough is enough for them. Quite frankly I am surprised they have tried to stay in Sacramento for as long as they have.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Yeah, the 90 day date is the one I'm keyed in on, if it is warmly received Sacramento is still in the game though there will be plenty of work to do - on the other hand if it is met with disapproval I think we can officially kiss the Kings goodbye.

Not too worried about March 1st, if the Maloofs really want to do it next season I'm sure they'd privately work out an extension on the papers or file them and ask them to be kept confidential until the feasibility study comes in. I also think they'd be up front to Taylor-ICON about it.

Whatever happens March 1st also effects what happens with the ICON efforts and planning for an arena too...the whole arena efforts locally will be shut down more than likely if they file for relocation.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Whatever happens March 1st also effects what happens with the ICON efforts and planning for an arena too...the whole arena efforts locally will be shut down more than likely.
I believe kennadog has suggested that these studies are upwards of a million dollars to complete so you can be rest assured that Taylor-ICON is doing everything in the first few weeks to at least insure the Maloofs aren't filing on March 1st so they aren't peeing 7 figures into the wind. I don't think they will file unless they are allowed to file preliminary papers pending a negative outcome from the feasibility study.

I believe kennadog has suggested that these studies are upwards of a million dollars to complete so you can be rest assured that Taylor-ICON is doing everything in the first few weeks to at least insure the Maloofs aren't filing on March 1st so they aren't peeing 7 figures into the wind. I don't think they will file unless they are allowed to file preliminary papers pending a negative outcome from the feasibility study.
Indeed...but what's going to suck is if/when Taylor comes back to city hall and tells the council that there's no feasible way to get financing...if...

Bye bye Kings, bye bye top rate entertainment, bye bye faith in my hometown.

Last edited:

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
They aren't filing this year - there is still too much flexibility and action on the arena front and there is still no CBA. No way they jump ship now. If we don't have something settled by next year though I bet they will.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Indeed...but what's going to suck is if/when Taylor comes back to city hall and tells the council that there's no feasible way to get financing...if....
That too is my fear, which is why I am hanging on the presentation of the report rather than March 1. Even if they file the papers they don't *have* to move if the city decides to fast track an arena a month later. In fact it might just wake up all those who have remained silent because they never believed this could actually happen.

At this point I must admit that I am far from optimistic and it breaks my heart.

I never felt the NBA was truly interested in keeping the Kings in Sacramento and that Stern's involvement was a killing blow to getting an arena. The plan that committee came up with was ridiculous.

But I think it would have been in the NBA's best interest to keep teams in their cities. I see the NBA facing the problems of legitimacy with their officiating and WWE-like atmosphere, and now suddenly facing the problem of team and brand identity with multiple teams moving around. (Which is something that has made following the NHL a pain n the ***) Throw in a possible strike and the looming fear of Yankee-like teams becoming the norm with FA behavior and things aren't looking up not just for Sacto but for the NBA as a league.

I never felt the NBA was truly interested in keeping the Kings in Sacramento and that Stern's involvement was a killing blow to getting an arena. The plan that committee came up with was ridiculous.
That's what lots of folks think happened in Seattle, too. That they purposefully came up with an arena plan they knew would fail. That's a little to tin-foil-hat for me but I suppose it's certainly possible.