Dave Joerger

How would you rate him so far?

• Total voters
I said very good, but there's an asterisk that you can't see! He's very good considering the roster and the need to establish a new culture. He sucks in that he thinks Barnes should get more than 10-15 min playing time, and he is so damned averse to playing the youngsters!

I said very good, but there's an asterisk that you can't see! He's very good considering the roster and the need to establish a new culture. He sucks in that he thinks Barnes should get more than 10-15 min playing time, and he is so damned averse to playing the youngsters!
He is creating a new culture and to be honest, while Barnes has sucked a fair bit this season, he is one guy that absolutely typifies what coach Joerger wants to see from EVERYONE on the court. Sure he is shooting poorly for the most part and sure he makes some bonehead mistakes but the grit, continuing to play and grind even when the shot is not falling or after he makes a mistake, being unselfish and one of the better passers on the team.....that's the sort of things that we want from everyone on this team.

While statistically speaking Barnes is not having a great season, he is a reasonably big part of the crew that is establishing that culture that the coach and the front office want.

Youngsters (specifically Richardson) are getting minutes to see how they handle it. If they are comfortable and in rhythm out there, they get more minutes. If they are struggling, they take a seat until next time. That is absolutely the right way to develop youngsters. The last thing we want is to throw them to the wolves and end up with players sapped of their confidence and acting like a deer in the headlights out there.

Just look at WCS and how well he has developed during this season. He was lost out there early, got yanked repeatedly and even had a few DNP-CDs along the way. Look at him now. He is clearly playing like one of the key players for us going forward.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
He is creating a new culture and to be honest, while Barnes has sucked a fair bit this season, he is one guy that absolutely typifies what coach Joerger wants to see from EVERYONE on the court. Sure he is shooting poorly for the most part and sure he makes some bonehead mistakes but the grit, continuing to play and grind even when the shot is not falling or after he makes a mistake, being unselfish and one of the better passers on the team.....that's the sort of things that we want from everyone on this team.

While statistically speaking Barnes is not having a great season, he is a reasonably big part of the crew that is establishing that culture that the coach and the front office want.

Youngsters (specifically Richardson) are getting minutes to see how they handle it. If they are comfortable and in rhythm out there, they get more minutes. If they are struggling, they take a seat until next time. That is absolutely the right way to develop youngsters. The last thing we want is to throw them to the wolves and end up with players sapped of their confidence and acting like a deer in the headlights out there.

Just look at WCS and how well he has developed during this season. He was lost out there early, got yanked repeatedly and even had a few DNP-CDs along the way. Look at him now. He is clearly playing like one of the key players for us going forward.
and to think, there were a good number of posters on here that were willing to get rid of him after only 20 games into his second season o_O

Great, so far:) This team is competing better than any Kings team in a very long while.
Our differential is -3.7 in points scored per 100 possessions vs. points allowed per 100 possessions this season. Last year it was -3.0. You could argue on this basis that the Kings competed better last year under Karl. Your conclusion could be due to recency bias. The valid counterargument is wins vs top teams: Celts, Warriors and Cavs did not happen as often last year. I would not disagree vehemently. These wins have been impressive, but occurred when opponents were going through own issue (Cavs) and opponents did not take us seriously (Warriors, Celts). Not to discount the wins, but we exploited opponents during the dog days who thought they waltz in against team in disarray, with injury, player drama (Boogie) and old guys on the decline (Barnes, Affalo). This is not sustainable blueprint once opponents figure out they need to take you seriously (with or without Cousins).

There's a point to be made about competing. The win was not primarily because we played hard. It is because we played well. Last night was not about effort. It was about execution. Barnes is 48% TS and he scored 14 points on 6 shots. I think that is 75% TS. Ben is 50% TS and he made 17 points on 12 shots. WCS averages 5 points and scored 14 points. Collison doubled his average with 26 points. I am not about to commend the team for playing hard! I expect the team to play hard! That's their job! Neither am I going to credit Joerger for getting the team to play hard. That's his job! And all involved parties are compensated handsomely to do their job. I do credit the team for their execution, in particular Collison, Willie and Ben for getting up against former teammate, and indirectly serving their best player a slice of humble pie with message your negativity and chronic complaining casts cloud. In absence of inclement conditions the rays and rainbows were a beautiful sight to behold.

In moment of self-reflection and alternative perspective, one can only hope Boogie asked himself if he wants to return to the team with the customary dark clouds of negativity and victim mentality hanging over himself and the team by proximity, or if there is another way. In the past I would have said there is NO hope, and he is NOT going to change. But the interview with Carmichael Dave gives me a slight amount of hope he's not done maturing as a player. That is the $200 million bet Vlade and Vivek appears set to make.

and to think, there were a good number of posters on here that were willing to get rid of him after only 20 games into his second season o_O
All that illustrates is the lack of patience that fans (myself included) display at times. Nothing can happen overnight but luckily for us the front office is finally starting to display some patience and have a longer term vision.

As great as Willie has been, he is still heavily reliant on a having a creative, passing PG that will get him the easy looks. That is why he operated well with Rondo and operates well with Lawson. If the team sees him as an important piece going forward, we need to make sure that a creative, passing PG in our shopping list going forward. Even the fantastic dunk that WCS pulled off last night, the pass from Collison was not great. Willie just made the best of the crappy pass.

Very good. There are certain mental lapses this team has that I literally believe have nothing to do with our coach. They just honestly aren't the smartest bunch

I do want something done about our 3 point defense, however, because it seems like we keep ending up in this weird zone defense that NEVER works, no matter who we have running the show. I just can't figure it out

I agree with everything but the WCS part. From what I could tell WCS was a diva to start the year thinking he was gonna he an offensive monster. He got pissed that he wasnt gonna be that guy this year and stopped trying. Joerfer benched him for a long while. Wcs finally caved and started doing the dirty work.

I agree with everything but the WCS part. From what I could tell WCS was a diva to start the year thinking he was gonna he an offensive monster. He got pissed that he wasnt gonna be that guy this year and stopped trying. Joerfer benched him for a long while. Wcs finally caved and started doing the dirty work.
I disagree and the reason for this is that WCS looked lost early in the season both offensively and defensively. He didn't do the right things defensively (rotations and positioning) and offensively he didn't know what to do and was telegraphing everything he was going to do.

He is clearly a different player now. He does the right things defensively and offensively out there.

I disagree and the reason for this is that WCS looked lost early in the season both offensively and defensively. He didn't do the right things defensively (rotations and positioning) and offensively he didn't know what to do and was telegraphing everything he was going to do.

He is clearly a different player now. He does the right things defensively and offensively out there.
You might be right. Now I think it was a mix of both.