D. Rose out rest of the season

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Well, it's a "huge hit" to the NBA, only in the sense that Chicago (with a "healthy" Rose) was the only team in the east besides Indiana that was considered a threat to Miami. Not convinced that it is, otherwise.

Well, it's a "huge hit" to the NBA, only in the sense that Chicago (with a "healthy" Rose) was the only team in the east besides Indiana that was considered a threat to Miami. Not convinced that it is, otherwise.
I suppose I mean it was a hit in terms of what it means for the fans of the NBA to have a player like Rose around. Personally, I couldn't imagine growing up in an NBA where a player like Allen Iverson or Tim Duncan had career ending injury and we never got to see more. I think D. Rose was going to have an impact akin to LeBron and KD. We might never know now.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
We probably don't see Rose as the same class of player: I wouldn't have put him anywhere close to James or Durant, healthy or otherwise. To me, he's like a less charismatic Russell Westbrook. I can see Rose's career never being realized being compared to not seeing Iverson at his best, but I never thought anything much of Iverson, either. I would never compare this to the potential loss of a young Duncan.

We probably don't see Rose as the same class of player: I wouldn't have put him anywhere close to James or Durant, healthy or otherwise. To me, he's like a less charismatic Russell Westbrook. I can see Rose's career never being realized being compared to not seeing Iverson at his best, but I never thought anything much of Iverson, either. I would never compare this to the potential loss of a young Duncan.
Absolutely fair. Maybe I'm letting Vince Carter/Blake Griffin kind of star power influence my outlook, but I think losing a player like him to injuries is still sad for the entire league. He has a good personality akin to KD and polar of LeBron and I liked he was part of the superstar crew that no one disliked as opposed to the Carmelos/Chris Pauls.

Ryan

I like turtles
II was fortunate enough to attend the Clippers vs. Bulls game in 2011. Seeing him play in person is an experience in itself. I've been watching basketball for a long time, and I've never seen a more explosive player than Derrick Rose. It's tragic that he'll most likely never return to that level again.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Two things:
  1. I think it's sad, sure, but I don't equate "sad" to being "a huge hit" for the league.
  2. I don't really think that Rose has a good personality, at all. In fact, I don't think that Rose has any personality. He's not obnoxious like Wade, or a dick like Paul, but that's not the same thing as having a good personality. Even Tim Duncan occasionally makes fun of himself for his "stone face" persona. I don't see Rose as being a person who is capable of laughing at himself or, really, anything. He's like a basketball playing robot.

eh, a healthy Rose career probably equates him into top 50 all-time discussions. While not on the level of Duncan, I see the loss of any HoF talent to be a huge hit to the league.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I saw no particular indication that Derrick Rose was on track to be a Hall of Fame talent. Not a lock, at any rate. Do you consider Westbrook to be a Hall of Fame talent?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Can't agree on a comparison to Grant Hill: as has been pointed out, it's the Basketball Hall of Fame, not the NBA Hall of Fame, and Grant Hill has a better than 75 percent chance of getting in, just on his college career, alone.

C

Cold

In rose's rookie days im pretty sure there was a well discussed article that analyzed rose's in game movements or was it jumping and landing motions? The article concluded that rose would have a very short career. At the time people laughed but man...... it's happening. Something about the way he jumps makes me unusually nervous everytime he goes up. And im not a bulls fan.

Chicago cant catch a break. Jay williams now rose.

Last edited by a moderator: