Confirmed: Lorenzen Wright Found Dead in Memphis

Lorenzen Wright was reported missing to police in Collierville, Tenn., on Thursday, according to The Commercial Appeal website. A spokesman for the town, located about 20 miles east of Memphis, said the family told police they haven't seen the 6-foot-11 Wright since Sunday. The spokesman also said the police do not suspect foul play.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/Former-NBA-top-10-draft-pick-Lorenzen-Wright-missing-072310

I hope for the best, but it's typically not a good sign when somebody is missing for 6 days. Prayers for him and his family.

Wow, how sad. There aren't many reasons for someone to drop off the radar that long, but I hoped it was something else. :(

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Wow, that's very sad. Possibly self-inflicted too...tragic. Perhaps a mod could update the title?
It's possible, but it looks like there's some early speculation of foul play. Memphis Commercial Appeal Apparently his cell phone made a "hang-up" 911 call with gunfire in the background, and the body was found in the middle of the woods - not exactly normal suicide behavior. If the phone was not found by the body, or found closed, etc...that would suggest foul play.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Wow. :(

Hearing about stuff like this on the news never really hits home because I don't ever know the people involved. Having seen Wright play in Arco, it's not about an anonymous person. It's someone I actually saw in person. My heartfelt condolences to his family.

This is just terrible. You'd think when a dispatcher gets a 911 call, hears an expletive followed by ten shots, the police department might want to check that out. Especially when a call back illicited no repsonse. When the various police agencies finally met and were told about the call, that's how they managed to track down Wright's body.

I'm sure nothing could have saved his life at the point of that call, but how can they do nothing for so long after hearing 10 shots?

So sad that he leaves 6 children fatherless. It would seem he was in some real trouble with some people, though.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-wright-killing

Last edited:
his is just terrible. You'd think when a dispatcher gets a 911 call, hears an expletive followed by ten shots, the police department might want to check that out. Especially when a call back illicited no repsonse. When the various police agencies finally met and were told about the call, that's how they managed to track down Wright's body.

I'm sure nothing could have saved his life at the point of that call, but how can they do nothing for so long after hearing 10 shots?

So sad that he leaves 6 children fatherless. It would seem he was in some real trouble with some people, though.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-wright-killing
That's indefensible. Like, really, really bad. A family member accidentally called 911 a few years back when trying to reach me (my number starts with similar digits), and a sheriff was there 10 minutes later just to make sure everything was okay.

Edit: Also, a 911 call, 10+ gun shots...that's definitely homicide. RIP Lorenzen.

It's possible, but it looks like there's some early speculation of foul play. Memphis Commercial Appeal Apparently his cell phone made a "hang-up" 911 call with gunfire in the background, and the body was found in the middle of the woods - not exactly normal suicide behavior. If the phone was not found by the body, or found closed, etc...that would suggest foul play.
Yah was reading in the paper today how it was a hangup with gunfire in the background, and expletatives heard as well.. Sucks :( RIP Lorenzen, you are still in my thoughts. Sad day for Kings fans :(

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archi...orney_says_armed_men_were_looking_for_wright/

You know...I didn't like the wife's didn't know anything story initially, but now this is beginning to stink from her end. Where, I wonder, does Lorenzen's money go now that he's dead?

Yes, three armed men showed up looking for my ex-husband at my house weeks before he comes, but I don't tell him or warn him, and then they just happen to show up again when he does fly into town for one night, and then I don't tell the police for over a week even after my ex-husband disappears off the face of the earth...

Stinks.

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archi...orney_says_armed_men_were_looking_for_wright/

You know...I didn't like the wife's didn't know anything story initially, but now this is beginning to stink from her end. Where, I wonder, does Lorenzen's money go now that he's dead?

Yes, three armed men showed up looking for my ex-husband at my house weeks before he comes, but I don't tell him or warn him, and then they just happen to show up again when he does fly into town for one night, and then I don't tell the police for over a week even after my ex-husband disappears off the face of the earth...

Stinks.
Yep. Does not pass smell test at all. But I guess we really don't know what's going on. Anyhow, I trust the police are being very thorough and I hope that Lorenzen's killer(s) will be found and brought to justice.

Yep. Does not pass smell test at all. But I guess we really don't know what's going on. Anyhow, I trust the police are being very thorough and I hope that Lorenzen's killer(s) will be found and brought to justice.
Must be nice. I can't imagine why you'd feel that way when they didn't respond in the first place.

My parents lived in the Memphis area for five years. I know there's a lot of crime down there, and it's not uncommon for a dead body to turn up in a ditch. I wouldn't put a lot of faith in the investigative abilities of the force in Memphis.