Computer geeks delight!

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Glad to see another item added to the growing list of things you can find out at Kingsfans.com

I changed the name of the thread. Looks like this may become an ongoing discussion... I was lost after the second post. :)
Actually, the first time I "worked" on a computer I was scared witless I'd screw it up - it was a Gateway desktop back in maybe '93 or so - motherboard went bad and they sent me a replacement in the mail. Took the computer cover off, drew out the MB layout and plugs on a piece of paper, and labeled everything with masking tape. :D

Put it back together and it worked, so I knew after that point I could build my own, and have ever since.

Really, if you can just do some simple plug attachments and follow instructions step by step, it really isn't that big a deal. Picking out the components you want is more difficult (to make sure they are the best bang for the buck you can get and avoid possible conflicts).

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Yeah, right...

Sorry, but I belong to the "If it turns on it's okay, if it doesn't call a geek" generation.

:p

Ok, it continues!

Ok, first of all when I boot my computer its asks me in the booting screens something like..."the Sata does not work with the Hot plugs, you can change it to ______ would you like to change the Sata?" I can't remember exactly what it said because it goes so fast.

Ok, so I reinstalled windows from scratch. It has nothing on my destop (no icons) and everything appears to look new. I still have all my files on my original Hard Drive as well as my extra one. Is there A way I can restore it so that all the icons and junk that used to be on there return? If not I can just reinstall them and what not i guess.

Third, I can't seem to set up my previous wirless connection. I had an internal Linkys' antennae thing that stuck out the back, it plugged into one slots in the computer. The light indicating it is connected does not light up green, the program to detect networks that it came with says that it "cannot find an association with the router" and the Windows Wireless Network Set-Up thing makes me want to throw my computer out the window. If anyone cares to help me this time that would be awesome... if not I understand :)

Great. I tried taking out the network card and reinstalling it. So after taking it out I turned the comp on and it wont boot now. All the lights and fans start but nothing appears on the screen. It also gives off a loud BEEEP. This is so damned frustrating it isn't even funny.

Edit: Resolved

Last edited:
Ok, it continues!

Ok, first of all when I boot my computer its asks me in the booting screens something like..."the Sata does not work with the Hot plugs, you can change it to ______ would you like to change the Sata?" I can't remember exactly what it said because it goes so fast.

Ok, so I reinstalled windows from scratch. It has nothing on my destop (no icons) and everything appears to look new. I still have all my files on my original Hard Drive as well as my extra one. Is there A way I can restore it so that all the icons and junk that used to be on there return? If not I can just reinstall them and what not i guess.

Third, I can't seem to set up my previous wirless connection. I had an internal Linkys' antennae thing that stuck out the back, it plugged into one slots in the computer. The light indicating it is connected does not light up green, the program to detect networks that it came with says that it "cannot find an association with the router" and the Windows Wireless Network Set-Up thing makes me want to throw my computer out the window. If anyone cares to help me this time that would be awesome... if not I understand :)
Can't help u with First, not knowing what it said, but you seem to have gotten around that.

Second: Well there is away to restore your files & desktop icons. Remember when I asked if you used the FASTWiz to make a back up. That is Windows File and Settings Transfer Wizard. You use it to transfer your settings from your old computer to your new computer. But, your old computer needs to be working. Since you used your old case & ps for the new computer, that's not the case for you.

But, it doesn't matter anyways. Because you did a new install on a formated hard drive, all the files that the desktop icons pointed to are not on your new computer. The only way FAST works is if your orgininal hard drive is in tact or if you clone it.

Here's, how I would of done it.

With your old computer in tact, run Fastwiz and use the "Other" option to save the file to a memory stick or a second partition or hard drive in you old system.

Clone the old hard drive to your new dive. That way all of your files and settings are transferred to the new drive.

Download the memory testing software, that I linked previously from the Microsoft website. Putting it on a bootable floppy.

Put your new system together but in minimum configuration. New Motherboard, cpu, memory sticks (all), CD, floppy & new hard drive.

Boot up to Bios. Set time & date, and leave the rest to default unless your cpu isn't recognized.

Boot up to floppy with the memory test disk in and check your memory. Very important. If any part of your memory is bad, programs will crash. And, if it's writing to a windows file, the hard drive will write the wrong data and windows will crash and you'll end up having to start all over again.

If everything is fine up to now, put the Windows CD in the cd drive, and boot to cd. Run a Recovery Install, not Recovery Console. See Microsoft search on Swapping or Replacing a Motherboard if your not sure. This Recovery Install will update your old Windows install on the cloned hard drive to the new features on the new motherboard. If this works without a problem, then the FAST backup won't be necessary, but with your luck don't count on it.

If the reinstall works you'll be back with everything the same as the old computer. Now, upgrade to Windows SP3. You might need it to use all the features of your new board. Then load the drivers from the board cd. Now install the rest of your boards and accessories, one at a time and let the New Hardware Wizard find and install theim. Now, your finished with the swap. But, not totally finished.

Everyone need to backup their system to avoid going through this nightmare. Install the old hard drive in your new system. Don't format it unless you need the room to save your backup. That way you'll have the clone until you're certain your new system is working correctly. If you have the space run some Backup Program right now while the system is fresh & new. I use Ghost 12 , but there are other including the backup program in windows.

Now your done.

Can't help u with First, not knowing what it said, but you seem to have gotten around that.

Second: Well there is away to restore your files & desktop icons. Remember when I asked if you used the FASTWiz to make a back up. That is Windows File and Settings Transfer Wizard. You use it to transfer your settings from your old computer to your new computer. But, your old computer needs to be working. Since you used your old case & ps for the new computer, that's not the case for you.

But, it doesn't matter anyways. Because you did a new install on a formated hard drive, all the files that the desktop icons pointed to are not on your new computer. The only way FAST works is if your orgininal hard drive is in tact or if you clone it.

Here's, how I would of done it.

With your old computer in tact, run Fastwiz and use the "Other" option to save the file to a memory stick or a second partition or hard drive in you old system.

Clone the old hard drive to your new dive. That way all of your files and settings are transferred to the new drive.

Download the memory testing software, that I linked previously from the Microsoft website. Putting it on a bootable floppy.

Put your new system together but in minimum configuration. New Motherboard, cpu, memory sticks (all), CD, floppy & new hard drive.

Boot up to Bios. Set time & date, and leave the rest to default unless your cpu isn't recognized.

Boot up to floppy with the memory test disk in and check your memory. Very important. If any part of your memory is bad, programs will crash. And, if it's writing to a windows file, the hard drive will write the wrong data and windows will crash and you'll end up having to start all over again.

If everything is fine up to now, put the Windows CD in the cd drive, and boot to cd. Run a Recovery Install, not Recovery Console. See Microsoft search on Swapping or Replacing a Motherboard if your not sure. This Recovery Install will update your old Windows install on the cloned hard drive to the new features on the new motherboard. If this works without a problem, then the FAST backup won't be necessary, but with your luck don't count on it.

If the reinstall works you'll be back with everything the same as the old computer. Now, upgrade to Windows SP3. You might need it to use all the features of your new board. Then load the drivers from the board cd. Now install the rest of your boards and accessories, one at a time and let the New Hardware Wizard find and install theim. Now, your finished with the swap. But, not totally finished.

Everyone need to backup their system to avoid going through this nightmare. Install the old hard drive in your new system. Don't format it unless you need the room to save your backup. That way you'll have the clone until you're certain your new system is working correctly. If you have the space run some Backup Program right now while the system is fresh & new. I use Ghost 12 , but there are other including the backup program in windows.

Now your done.
Well, I ended up installing the drivers and stuff before getting SP3. Windows still needs me to verify that it is authentic by putting in a 25 digit code. I don't have that code because I haven't used the install disc since the day I got the computer about 5 years ago and somewhere along the line I must have lost it. SO... I guess Im going to call microsoft and figure it out. I got the internet working and everything as well.

So far all my problems seemed resolved! Thanks again everybody who helped. I think its pretty awesome when you can join a sports forum community and get professional grade help on just about anything. I can't even begin to imagine where I would be without you guys.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
So far all my problems seemed resolved! Thanks again everybody who helped. I think its pretty awesome when you can join a sports forum community and get professional grade help on just about anything. I can't even begin to imagine where I would be without you guys.
Glad it worked out for you! The bill is in the mail. ;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Warning - blatant commercial-type comment to follow:

If you want to ensure that Kingsfans.com will be here the next time you need them, why not consider becoming a Contributing Member? You get a larger avatar, first chance at things like opening night group tickets, AND the satisfaction of knowing you're helping to keep the #1 Sacramento Kings Internet Community alive and well.

...End of blatant commercial-type announcement.

:D

Warning - blatant commercial-type comment to follow:

If you want to ensure that Kingsfans.com will be here the next time you need them, why not consider becoming a Contributing Member? You get a larger avatar, first chance at things like opening night group tickets, AND the satisfaction of knowing you're helping to keep the #1 Sacramento Kings Internet Community alive and well.

...End of blatant commercial-type announcement.

:D
Do you receive commission for this VF? haha.

I'll contribute sooner or later. Don't worry. :cool: