Comcast battling DISH over contract renewal

I called DISH today, just because... I had time. It was pointless - just got canned talking points from a nice customer service representative. I wasn't ready to cancel (DISH is the only game in town for me where I live - no Comcast option), so I wasn't sure how exactly to "demand" that they keep my Kings on the air, but I did it to say "I did my part". I won't really cancel DISH over it until Comcast wires my neighborhood for DSL - years away if ever. DirectTV can't give me HD signal so they are out. Living in the boonies has its great joys but being part of a DISH monopoly isn't one of them right now.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I won't really cancel DISH over it until Comcast wires my neighborhood for DSL - years away if ever. DirectTV can't give me HD signal so they are out. Living in the boonies has its great joys but being part of a DISH monopoly isn't one of them right now.
Why can't DirectTV give you an HD signal? It's not like they use a different satellite for the folks out in the boonies.

Why can't DirectTV give you an HD signal? It's not like they use a different satellite for the folks out in the boonies.
Yea he must live WAY in the boonies. I live in the boonies where i too cannot get comcast, ATT, etc. But i get DirecTV in HD. I alternate from Direct to Dish every 2 years when the contracts end and the price goes up. Unfortunately im on Dish right now :(

When I moved up to the hills I tried to get Direct TV but we had too many tree's to get a clear line of sight. I believe he said three satellites was needed for the HD signal......now I'm stuck with DSL at 3mbps

When I moved near Coloma in 2008, (from Orangevale).. the DirectTV guys came out to transfer service to my new house, and they looked at the tree cover and hill looming on the south western side, and said "I can't get an HD signal here I'm sorry, we can do standard def for you."

I was really bummed and resigned to not having HD.

I called DISH and the guy they sent out was a real character - a hillbilly right out of Duck Dynasty. The guy actually licked his thumb and stuck it out in front of him like a rifle sight or something... grimaced, nodded... and he said "I can GET you HD!!".

And so he did.

DirecTV gave me no relief on the contract cancellation fee - they took my $100 even though they were unable to transfer my same service. I was soooo p!ssed off!!

So now I have DISH, I throw away DirectTV junk mail unopened and never miss a chance to slam them (more than $100 worth so far), and I love my HOPPER by the way. So it is great if they work this out.

Does anyone have more info on the following I found here---> http://iwantcsnba.com/

Thank you for supporting Comcast SportsNet. We have a short-term extension, and Comcast SportsNet will continue to be available to Dish customers.

For information on Comcast SportsNet programming or the latest in local sports news, please visit comcastsportsnet.com.
Short term extension??? Hopefully it will work out to a longer term.

When I moved near Coloma in 2008, (from Orangevale).. the DirectTV guys came out to transfer service to my new house, and they looked at the tree cover and hill looming on the south western side, and said "I can't get an HD signal here I'm sorry, we can do standard def for you."

I was really bummed and resigned to not having HD.

I called DISH and the guy they sent out was a real character - a hillbilly right out of Duck Dynasty. The guy actually licked his thumb and stuck it out in front of him like a rifle sight or something... grimaced, nodded... and he said "I can GET you HD!!".

And so he did.

DirecTV gave me no relief on the contract cancellation fee - they took my $100 even though they were unable to transfer my same service. I was soooo p!ssed off!!

So now I have DISH, I throw away DirectTV junk mail unopened and never miss a chance to slam them (more than $100 worth so far), and I love my HOPPER by the way. So it is great if they work this out.
Mine experience was almost the opposite. I had been a Dish customer from back when they were Primestar. I asked Dish if there was anything they could do for me since I had been such a long term customer. They would do nothing, no new equipment upgrade (me equipment was so old, it was from the time where you had to buy it yourself), no price break just nothing. When I cancelled, they even asked for the equipment they didn't own back and I had to set them straight. You can guess where my junk mail goes, it would have been cheaper for them to give me some sort of sweetener.

I have gone back to DirecTv a couple of times and every time I drop the hint, they offer some sort of sweetener. The last time is was a chunk off my bill with me not having to re-new my contract.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Ah, I looked it up. Apparently they use different satellites for HD than for SD, so you must just be in an unfortunate location. DISH's satellites look to be about 20 degrees away from DirecTV's, so that's probably why you've got an angle for those.

I can't imagine that not changing before too long. With as many people cutting cable as there have been, and with that number steadily growing, it's only a matter of time before the NBA is forced to catch up with the times, and revise their business model.
Totally agree. My brother-in-law cut the cable a while back, and he's paying fraction of what I pay per month. (He has a set-top box for Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc.) The only difference is live sports that aren't over-the-air.

Ah, I looked it up. Apparently they use different satellites for HD than for SD, so you must just be in an unfortunate location. DISH's satellites look to be about 20 degrees away from DirecTV's, so that's probably why you've got an angle for those.
Yep different angles to reach the satellites. Should have cut the trees for Directv or made having a signal a requirement of buying/renting.

Yep different angles to reach the satellites. Should have cut the trees for Directv or made having a signal a requirement of buying/renting.
I really don't think so. Trees are on a neighbor's property, the house is a dream house to wife and me (direcTV signal notwithstanding), and there was an alternative provider.

Legally it was fine for DTV to take the $100. Big picture tho, I think it was dumb of them because I'll never ever ever go back to them. If I live 30 more years, I will spend around $50K on cable/sat subscriptions... not a dime of it with them. Hope they invested the $100 wisely.