Coaching Options

Coach options

• Total voters
Er... if Larry Brown comes in and we play "detroit basketball" does that mean the fans have to start a brawl with opposing teams? (sorry just being my retarded self. :) )

El Duque said:
Question: If Phoenix wins the championship, will it change your opinion of Rick Adelman?
No. Pheonix is a killer offense that can run you to death. The Kings did that for a few years in a row and had we not run into some bad luck (2002 wcf) we would have won the title as well. His system isnt bad but with the players we have now compared to the players that were in our old offense we just cant produce what we did a few years ago. Thats why things need to change and I think we need to try the defensive approach, even if it may not be as fun to watch.

The Kings also never had a center like the suns do who could easily put up 30+ every night and that was that aggressive around the basket or even had that much athleticism. I still think the Kings of old would beat todays Suns.

Fact of the matter is that sometimes a change is needed. Shelf life for coaches is pretty short.

I would take any on that list (except Don N) ONLY if the Kings or RA decides to break it up. Otherwise I would stick with RA all the way. It sounds like they may be shopping so I opt for the best available coach out there. I would only object to college experiment coaches or assistant NBA coaches taking over the reins.

Big Waxer:
Shelf life for coaches is pretty short.
I guess Jerry Sloan is the exception to the rule. ;)

In the 2002-03 season, the Kings were an average to above average defensive team, weren’t they? #1 in FG% against, #1 in rebounding (altho they were definitely sub par in offensive rebounding, they were #1 in defensive rebounding). #2 in steals and in the top half in blocked shots. If that is true, since the coach hasn’t changed, then it would have to be the abilities of the players on the roster, more than the coach, wouldn‘t it?

Chris (pre-blown knee), Vlade and Keon Clark were the top rebounders on the Kings. Defensively we had Doug and we had other players that played decent defense: Scot P, Jim Jackson, Bobby Jackson, Hedo. And of course, that team did have great chemistry and trust in each other which facilitates team defense and offense.

It would seem RA can coach a good defensive team, given the right players or mix of players. Maybe he is just more offensive-minded when he perceives that the roster he has to work with is made up of players whose weakness is definitely on the defensive end, but they are offensively strong. Wasn’t using the zone more this year an attempt to make-up for the team’s defensive weaknesses? Besides, I think the roster upheaval made teamwork more difficult in terms of team defense this year.

I’m just reluctant to give up on RA when I’m not so sure the available coaches could be considered a clear improvement. The right player transactions could improve this team defensively if RA has more to work with on that end of the floor and the group develops chemistry and trust.

Last edited:
^^

Well Sloan is the exception in today’s NBA and he is the only example you can provide out of all the NBA teams. Let’s not forget that most of his coaching days consisted of having 2 hall of fame players on his team. RA doesn’t and hasn’t had that yet.

With that said I never in my post said I think RA should go. I can see why the ownership/gm may want to try something different. Especially as I said shelf life is short in the NBA these days. This is not my decision and I would rather see RA stay. If they decide he has to go then I would prefer a coach with experience and not some college coach or an assistant.

My only disagreement with your post is that you said RA can be a defensive coach. He has yet to really prove that. We have had the same problems on defense since he has been here. However I agree it could be the players that he has to work with.

We knock Peja for being a 4th qtr magic act, we knock Bibby for lack of D but the fact is RA doesn't demand it. He preaches offense first. I remember a quote he made last season. "Our offense is our defense”... I think that quote says it all.

ultraman206 said:
Er... if Larry Brown comes in and we play "detroit basketball" does that mean the fans have to start a brawl with opposing teams? (sorry just being my retarded self. :) )
And do we get that damn PA announcer to go with Larry?? That guy is freaking annoying...B B B B B B BEN Wallace!!

BigWaxer said:
With that said I never in my post said I think RA should go. I can see why the ownership/gm may want to try something different. If they decide he has to go then I would prefer a coach with experience and not some college coach or an assistant.
My only disagreement with your post is that you said RA can be a defensive coach. He has yet to really prove that. We have had the same problems on defense since he has been here. However I agree it could be the players that he has to work with.
I am not in the fire RA group. But if he does go, I'd like it to be someone with NBA experience and a winning track record.

I disagree that the problems have always been the same on the defensive end. If rebounding is a concern, the Kings were the #1 rebounding team in the league that season. The were #1 "FG% against", considered by some a better indicator of defense than "points against". They were at the top for point differential that year. All seem to point to a better than average defensive team.

So, if the 2002-03 team was good to above average at defense, then what is that attributable to? Can RA take none of the credit? The argument could be made that it was the players, not the coach. Just asking for opinions is all, so I can understand and learn from others thinking. Thanks for sharing yours. :)

I know that Adelman seems the popular guy, but if you added up all the other coaches votes, vs Adelmans, perhaps some of you will "see the light". 53 vs 76.

kennadog said:
I am not in the fire RA group. But if he does go, I'd like it to be someone with NBA experience and a winning track record.

I disagree that the problems have always been the same on the defensive end. If rebounding is a concern, the Kings were the #1 rebounding team in the league that season. The were #1 "FG% against", considered by some a better indicator of defense than "points against". They were at the top for point differential that year. All seem to point to a better than average defensive team.

So, if the 2002-03 team was good to above average at defense, then what is that attributable to? Can RA take none of the credit? The argument could be made that it was the players, not the coach. Just asking for opinions is all, so I can understand and learn from others thinking. Thanks for sharing yours. :)
Alot of that had to do with Jim Jackson, Doug Christie, Bobby Jackson and Keon Clark. Bobby was a much better defender then Bibby and that was the season that Bibby was out for the first part.

Ryle said:
Alot of that had to do with Jim Jackson, Doug Christie, Bobby Jackson and Keon Clark. Bobby was a much better defender then Bibby and that was the season that Bibby was out for the first part.
Exactly what I said in my earlier post. Obviously, he had more defensive talent on the floor. This year the defensive talent was weak. So, if a coach has a weak defensive team talent-wise, but a strong offensive team, would a coach tend to be more "offense-oriented"? Phoenix is not a really good defensive team, and their approach is offense-oriented...outscore their opponents, run them into the ground. Does that mean their coach being offense-oriented is not a good coach or is he just using the strategy that matches the strengths of his team? I'm really interested in people's opinions.

Of course, it remains to be seen if Phoenix can win a championship that way.

PFFFT!! said:
I know that Adelman seems the popular guy, but if you added up all the other coaches votes, vs Adelmans, perhaps some of you will "see the light". 53 vs 76.
hehe...as if a fan forum poll is actually indicative of a coach's worth.

Maybe Bill Belichick could be our coach. He has rings and a history of good defensive teams, and obviously, defensive personnel have nothing to do with it, right?

Wow. Welcome to tolerance; population me. Let me untie you from your chair and take the toothpicks out of your eyes so that you can avert your gaze from my idiocy. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
El Duque said:
Wow. Welcome to tolerance; population me. Let me untie you from your chair and take the toothpicks out of your eyes so that you can avert your gaze from my idiocy. :rolleyes:
I thought it was funny....but I may be warped.;)

I thought it was ironic, because someone like yourself can see the poignancy of it, but I suppose my stupidity is not everyone's brand of tonic, if ya know what I mean. :D

I like Rick Adelman. I think we would have and could have won a champioship a few years ago with him at the helm. If not for a series of unfortunate events in recent years I believe that we would have won it all. As it stands now, and until some serious changes are made I don't see us winning anything with Rick, or P.J., or Flip, or anybody else.
This team has some serious flaws. I think that our primary focus should be in changing the makeup of this team. Non athletic, slow footed, soft, and smallish is not going to get it done. I say let Petrie do his work and let Rick have one more go of it.
I don't see P. J. taking over this team unless he has been assured by the Maloofs and Geoff that he gets a superstar because without one Phil is not going to tarnish his record. His ego won't allow it.

T

thesanityannex

El Duque said:
Maybe Bill Belichick could be our coach. He has rings and a history of good defensive teams, and obviously, defensive personnel have nothing to do with it, right?

cant believe you got grief for posting this. brilliant.

KP said:
lol. Anyone want to see what Sixers fans are saying about the possibility of maybe getting Adelman in Philly if we let him go? http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?topic=370043
Thanks for posting that. I happen to like Adelman. It would be shame if he had to leave Sac to be appreciated by us after he's gone. There are interesting options, but I just really don't see a clear upgrade, but maybe I'm just not wanting to let go yet.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
KP said:
lol. Anyone want to see what Sixers fans are saying about the possibility of maybe getting Adelman in Philly if we let him go? http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?topic=370043
I simply can't see Iverson in any version of the Princeton offense, or any offense at all, and while Rick liked Webb I'm not sure he would actually intentionally come out and join a team and have to deal with that knee again. But I will say this -- if that is where Rick landed it would not surprise me at all to see coachie (Petey Carril) follow him back out here as well. He's been wanting to come home for a few years now, and that would make a lot of sense for him just down the road from his old stomping grounds in Princeton.

I just don't see AI and RA together. O'Brien's letting Iverson run the team and do things his way. RA's used to playing team ball and that's not AI's thing. He has 2 or 3 players open and he's being double/triple teamed but still won't pass.