Coaching Candidates for next season (merged)

Word is McHale doesn't want to coach in California (probably a smokescreen that he just doesn't want to come here) and Walton has no interest. I'm starting to think we're going to have a crap coach going into next season.
Says who? No one knows anything about Lukes coaching ability. And McHale is ok but word is that he isn't that creative. We'll get the right guy have faith

Says who? No one knows anything about Lukes coaching ability. And McHale is ok but word is that he isn't that creative. We'll get the right guy have faith
You've heard the names that have been willing to come see the Kings, correct? I don't have my heart set on McHale or Walton, far from that, but there's nothing inspiring confidence right now.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
You've heard the names that have been willing to come see the Kings, correct? I don't have my heart set on McHale or Walton, far from that, but there's nothing inspiring confidence right now.
Alvin Gentry was the hottest name last summer. In fact, PDA had him in his sights and offered him the lead assistant job with the Kings two summers ago with the wink/nudge that the head coaching gig might be available soon. And yet nobody is lauding the job he did in New Orleans. Gentry is a good coach, but (at least so far) things haven't worked out as planned.

Adelman was a retread when he got to the Kings. Brooks was a lightly regarded Kings assistant before OKC and this year he's one of the hottest coaching names out there.

Point being, a lot of coaching is about fit. Vinny Del Negro (just for example) could be the guy who fits the Kings like a glove. Blatt (if he's even considering the Kings job) is a great offensive mind that could bring back memories of the early 2000 Kings with his modified Princeton offense (and with some roster changes of course).

There IS a coach out there who is willing to take the gig and who would do a great job.

Alvin Gentry was the hottest name last summer. In fact, PDA had him in his sights and offered him the lead assistant job with the Kings two summers ago with the wink/nudge that the head coaching gig might be available soon. And yet nobody is lauding the job he did in New Orleans. Gentry is a good coach, but (at least so far) things haven't worked out as planned.

Adelman was a retread when he got to the Kings. Brooks was a lightly regarded Kings assistant before OKC and this year he's one of the hottest coaching names out there.

Point being, a lot of coaching is about fit. Vinny Del Negro (just for example) could be the guy who fits the Kings like a glove. Blatt (if he's even considering the Kings job) is a great offensive mind that could bring back memories of the early 2000 Kings with his modified Princeton offense (and with some roster changes of course).

There IS a coach out there who is willing to take the gig and who would do a great job.
#TruestPostOfTheThread

Word is McHale doesn't want to coach in California (probably a smokescreen that he just doesn't want to come here) and Walton has no interest. I'm starting to think we're going to have a crap coach going into next season.
that may very well be the case, but it should be noted that nearly all of the "reports" about coach "x" or coach "y" or coach "z" being uninterested in the kings' opening are based entirely on idle speculation. the kings' aren't a terribly attractive destination for a head coach because of the dysfunction that's surrounded the team for the last decade, and while this may disqualify the kings from being "in the running" for the available upper tier head coaches in the minds of various media outlets, that doesn't necessarily mean it's true of the available coaches themselves. that's why they interview in the first place, to gauge the level of interest from both sides...

now, it is not unreasonable to assume that many of the head coaches on the market will want nothing to do with the kings, but it also doesn't take a particularly thoughtful nba analyst to make such a claim. the kings have been an easy target for years now, so naturally every article about the kings' interest in a particular head coaching candidate is bookended with a[n often snide] remark about said candidate's supposed lack of mutual interest. long story short: we're just gonna have to wait-and-see. mchale came in for an interview, after all, and it's not often that a head coaching candidate accepts an interview without at least some level of interest in the position. i have yet to hear of other teams contacting mchale about their own vacancies, so who knows?