Choose your cuts now!!!

I'm not openly rooting for cuts to be made, but I don't want a roster full of developmental players. One rookie and two sophomores is enough to begin the season, IMO. If we, by some reversal of fortune, sink to the bottom of the West, then audition some developmentals on 7-day opportunities.

If our injuries don't heal, though, we'll be one of the first teams to take advantage of that roster hardship rule.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
If everyone is ready to go, I would:

Cut
Boddie
Allen
Maio
Newton

This would only keep 4 guards, but both Maiga and Powell are combos, so I don't see a problem there.

If Kara is not ready, use the hardship rule and keep Newton.

Of course, this could change depending on who is available on waivers.

Having said all that, it is not what I expect Whisnant to do.

If everyone is ready to go, I would:

Cut
Boddie
Allen
Maio
Newton

This would only keep 4 guards, but both Maiga and Powell are combos, so I don't see a problem there.

If Kara is not ready, use the hardship rule and keep Newton.

Of course, this could change depending on who is available on waivers.

Having said all that, it is not what I expect Whisnant to do.
WOW!!! After Going to the Meet the Monarchs thing today and meeting some of the young ladies, I hate to say it But

DITTO...

Nothing has changed my opinion. In fact Ditto... to the entire post. This is not what I expect Whiz to do, but those would be my cuts.

Miao LiJie
Morgan Warburton
Whitney Boddie
Charel Allen

I guarantee you that Kara Lawson will be ready to play come Saturday. There will be no need for a hardship waiver.

WOW!!! After Going to the Meet the Monarchs thing today and meeting some of the young ladies, I hate to say it But

DITTO...

Nothing has changed my opinion. In fact Ditto... to the entire post. This is not what I expect Whiz to do, but those would be my cuts.
Ditto to Ditto

And yes I agree, though I think this is the best for our team, it may not be what Whiz ultimately does.

Miao LiJie
Morgan Warburton
Whitney Boddie
Charel Allen

I guarantee you that Kara Lawson will be ready to play come Saturday. There will be no need for a hardship waiver.
Hopefully, you're right. The "doom and gloom" articles below, though, have me worried that inferior players will be kept on until Brunson and Lawson return. :mad:

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/story/1907255.html?storylink=lingospot_related_articles

http://www.sacbee.com/352/story/1897531.html?storylink=lingospot_related_articles

No surprise there. They're all first and second-year players who need development that this team couldn't afford to give them. These cuts weren't hard to make at all. Having said that, I bid them good luck overseas!

And no, I don't think we're down to Miao versus Newton. There might be a third wheel in the equation if some of the enticing names on the waiver wire drop down a bit.

Don't know about this......I personally don't think we should've cut Warburton for either Newton or Miao. This just validates my assumption that the "Training Camp" performances didn't really matter because Newton didn't really do anything. If that is her "performance" as a 4 year veteran, then I'm sorry, I'd rather look somewhere else. Maybe the M's are getting someone from free agency?

Typical Whiz

No there is absolutely no suprise. Hoping I would be pleasantly suprised. But this is typical Whiz.

There was no way Whiz was going thru all the drama of bringing Maio over here to cut her for a rookie/ 2nd year player. With that being said. I sincerely hope there is a plan B.

More than likely Newton stays. Even tho she hasn' earned it at all. Just because she has been around and we are all about continuity around here. I was really hoping that there would be some change. But it looks like Maio is on her way home.

If we are lucky someone will impress on the waiver wire. But even if... you know Whiz's motto.

No there is absolutely no suprise. Hoping I would be pleasantly suprised. But this is typical Whiz.

There was no way Whiz was going thru all the drama of bringing Maio over here to cut her for a rookie/ 2nd year player. With that being said. I sincerely hope there is a plan B.

More than likely Newton stays. Even tho she hasn' earned it at all. Just because she has been around and we are all about continuity around here. I was really hoping that there would be some change. But it looks like Maio is on her way home.

If we are lucky someone will impress on the waiver wire. But even if... you know Whiz's motto.
I feel kinda bad though that it's almost as if Whiz didn't want to cut Newton just so that he won't be blamed for wasting that 1st round pick we used to get her back.

Newton hasn't improved much from the last 2 years. The way it's going now, we're going to have problems scoring once again. And though "defense wins championships" We've proven that you need to score too to get there.

I am clinging to my hopes that we will get someone from the waiver wire. I dunno, Ivory Latta? Tan White? Anyone?

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
While it is not the cuts I would make, it is exactly as I expected from Whiz. I sure wish he'd step out of the box.....just once. Maio will probably be next.

SACRAMENTO 2009

Rebekkah Brunson
Laura Harper
Crystal Kelly
Kara Lawson
Hamchetou Maiga-Ba
Chelsea Newton
Courtney Paris
Ticha Penicheiro
Nicole Powell
Scholanda Robinson
DeMya Walker

*sigh* Typical Whiz.
Rightfully so!! This is the best roster, period!! Looking at that official roster, it is the best Monarchs roster 11 deep since the 2005 Championship roster. This team is good enough to win the 2009 WNBA Championship, if and this is a big if, health can be on our side.

Those young rookies were not good enough. I'm sorry, Miao Li Jie was not better than Newton or Robinson. I am not down for change for change sake. I know some of us want fresh new faces, but I want to win right now.!!!!:mad:

Last edited:
Rightfully so!! This is the best roster, period!! Those young rookies were not good enough. Miao Li Jie was not better than Newton or Robinson.

I am not down for change for change sake. I know some of us want fresh new faces, but I want to win right now.!!!!:mad:
I don't disagree with you re rookies and young players, but there are people on the waiver wires right now that are better than some of the people on this roster. It's depressing to see, actually.

Rightfully so!! This is the best roster, period!! Looking at that official roster, it is the best Monarchs roster 11 deep since the 2005 Championship roster. This team is good enough to win the 2009 WNBA Championship, if and this is a big if, health can be on our side.

Those young rookies were not good enough. I'm sorry, Miao Li Jie was not better than Newton or Robinson. I am not down for change for change sake. I know some of us want fresh new faces, but I want to win right now.!!!!:mad:

You want to Win right Now???

Really??? Sigh...

Is it Red Kool-Aid or Grape???
This is not the Best Roster he could have put together. Not by a Long shot. But it is our roster so we will have to go with it.

We May make the play-offs, maybe not. But making the play-offs by default does not mean that the best team was put together. I am gone lament about this for a few more hours.

Then I am gonna buck up and send the Monarchs all of my positive Juju.

You want to Win right Now???

Really??? Sigh...

Is it Red Kool-Aid or Grape???
I want to win right now!!!! And it's not red it's Cherry excuse me.:rolleyes: Baring any trade or free agency pick up this is by far, one of the best rosters the Sacramento Monarchs have assembled, and yes they can win a title with this roster. It is young, experienced, versatle, that can rebound, defend and score enough. They need to turn up the defensive pressure in 2009. Last year they took a big step back defensively.

IF....... Brunson, Ticha and Lawson can remain healthy THIS TEAM WILL WIN. I honestly feel that way. From ONE TO ELEVEN mind you, this team is just as talented as any team in the Western Conference. The Boucek/Whisnant philosophy is to utilize their whole roster. Name me one roster in the WC from ONE to ELEVEN that is more talented than this one and I will shut my mouth.

Unfortunately, this is no longer 2005. The other teams in the WNBA have made significant strides in improving their rosters.

Minnesota 2009 > 2005
Phoenix 2009 > 2005
LA 2009 > 2005
SA 2009 > 2005
Seattle 2009 > Seattle 2005
Houston 2005 > 2009 only because they don't have a team anymore.

and SAC??? well SAC 2005 = SAC 2009 (sigh) No more Yo (but we have CP) No legit back up PG, Kara and Brunson nursing injuries, DeMya 2005 better than DeMya post-2005. No Buescher. etc...etc...etc...heck even Newton 2005 > Newton 2009.

Health? well, we certainly aren't starting "healthy"

Win right now???? well, I want to win too, but I'm afraid that unless our CP3 turns out to be shaq we won't even make it to the Playoffs.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Unfortunately, this is no longer 2005. The other teams in the WNBA have made significant strides in improving their rosters.

Minnesota 2009 > 2005
Phoenix 2009 > 2005
LA 2009 > 2005
SA 2009 > 2005
Seattle 2009 > Seattle 2005
Houston 2005 > 2009 only because they don't have a team anymore.

and SAC??? well SAC 2005 = SAC 2009 (sigh) No more Yo (but we have CP) No legit back up PG, Kara and Brunson nursing injuries, DeMya 2005 better than DeMya post-2005. No Buescher. etc...etc...etc...heck even Newton 2005 > Newton 2009.

Health? well, we certainly aren't starting "healthy"

Win right now???? well, I want to win too, but I'm afraid that unless our CP3 turns out to be shaq we won't even make it to the Playoffs.
I want to win right now.

I can want to win too, but it is not going to be with this team. mdme has it right. I would even venture to say that 2005 > 2009. You are correct in saying that Newton 2005 > Newton 2009. Hell, DeMya 2009 is not even a shadow of her 2005 self. CP may someday = Yo Griffith. Who knows? But right now, she cannot hold a candle to her.

No chance in you know where that the M's come out of 2009 as Champions. And, I agree, that they may even get shut out of the playoffs. They better find some offense somewhere, and their defense better be lots better than last year.

It's the going to be the same story as usual, no one think's we will do good, they will contend and fight for a playoff spot, they will get in the playoffs...then who knows? This team has enough veterans who know how to win (and have won), it's just a matter ***IF*** they stay healthy. If they don't, we're screwed, but IF they manage to stay healthy they can contend for championship. JMO.

Well here is the reality...
Other than at the PG and the 3-Guard, every team is better than we are from players 1-11. So if you really want to will RIGHT NOW, you are in for a big disappointment.
But here is the thing. Hopefully it will not stay that way. Hopefully we will get players healthy and in shape fairly soon. Hopefully we won't be sitting in the cellar at the all-star break hoping for 2 or 3 teams to implode.
And Ditto to everything that was posted before I got back.

Let me further say that I don't think Sho or Newton will stink up the Gym or anything. They will contribute, and they will have decent outings. I am pretty sure of that.

But as stated before, the athleticism and the requirements for being an effective SG in this league have changed dramatically since 2005. In fact the reason why we were successful in 2005 was the change and upgrade in personel to match up with the opposition.

Who do we have to match up with the Minny backcourt? LA got bigger in their backcourt, SASS hasn't really upgraded. But Look around the league. The Blueprint for 2005 needs to be adjusted. If we keep doing the same things we will have the same result. Detroit exposed us, and we haven't recovered.

If we want a blueprint for sustained success, as mch as it burns me to say it. Look No further than Trader Bill. And No way In hell is this roster even close to having the depth of the 2005 team

Last edited:
WOW!!! With all due respect to my brothers and sisters here at Kingsfans.com, but I am completely shocked at the pessimism in this forum, before one minute of the season has been played.:confused: Kinda sounds like that other national forum that stars with an "R".

I completely respect each and every one of your thoughts and opinions, but I completely disagree about the quality of this roster. Last year, this team was one five minute OT from advancing to the Western Conference Finals without a healthy Brunson and Walker. Now they both are not as healthy as they could be, but by far healthier than they were at the end of last season. Outside of Walker (31 years of age) and Ticha (34, who is also coming off the best season of her career, and did everything we had been asking her to do for years), this the core of this roster is a young and in their prime: Brunson (27 years old), Lawson (27), Powell (27 this month).

Plus you add Maiga Ba (30 years) who is much better now, than she was when she left, and I think you have a well rounded solid rotation. You have a group of talented youngesters: Kelly (22 years old), Harper (23), Paris (21), and I see players ready to contribute right now, not some deer in the headlights:eek: youngsters you normally experience.

Sure, if I could exchange Robinson and Newton into Pondexter and Nolan right now I would. But it is not like those girls can not play or contribute. They are clearly, head and shoulders, no doubt about it better than the four players we cut.

I have been called Kool-Aid drinker, that is cool. Can this team win a title, probably not, I am not guaranteeing it. But compared to the Western Conference, they have just a good of chance as any other team. I can guarantee that theywill compete, and give 100 percent every night, and if they do that, they will make the playoffs. That is all I can ask for right now.

See you tomorrow, Section 117, Row U!!!:D

Thanks for sticking up for the home team PR! Your points are valid, and I am very hopeful that this may be one of the best seasons of Monarchs ball that we have seen since 2005! There are changes I would have liked at the 2 guard, but I am mostly just happy that

TODAY IS OPENING DAY!!! :D

Go Monarchs beat the Storm!

Thanks for sticking up for the home team PR! Your points are valid, and I am very hopeful that this may be one of the best seasons of Monarchs ball that we have seen since 2005! There are changes I would have liked at the 2 guard, but I am mostly just happy that
A lot of people are criticizing this specifically.