Charges filed against Darren Collison

Status
Not open for further replies.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
REMINDER: This thread is about the potential impact on the Kings, not a discussion of domestic violence. Keep it on topic or your post will be deleted.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
If he goes for a plea deal then he will most likely miss some games for sure. I see some anger management and fines in Collisons future.

I am beyond disappointed in this. I was hoping it was minor, an all couples fight, nothing to see here, kind of deal. This puts the Kings in a very distasteful situation. Yes, he can go for a plea deal and miss maybe a handful of games, but what does that say about our franchises stance on domestic violence? The team will have to make some sort of a stand or stance and that may have much farther reaching ramifications. (carefully edited to remove all personal opinion on the matter beyond expressing my disappointment for the team)

This is sad on so many levels!

Going into the season our biggest need was a SG. All of a sudden it's PG and Rondo's comments on ESPN doesn't exactly fill me with confidence that he will be back.

I expect us to make a trade for a veteran PG on draft night. Jeff Teague anyone?!?!

I am beyond disappointed in this. I was hoping it was minor, an all couples fight, nothing to see here, kind of deal. This puts the Kings in a very distasteful situation. Yes, he can go for a plea deal and miss maybe a handful of games, but what does that say about our franchises stance on domestic violence? The team will have to make some sort of a stand or stance and that may have much farther reaching ramifications. (carefully edited to remove all personal opinion on the matter beyond expressing my disappointment for the team)

That they believe punishment fits the crime? Lets see how this plays out first I say. Domestic violence is taken very seriously in California, and he's not charged with felonies here. Hopefully in the end a valuable lesson can be taught if the situation calls for it and likewise hopefully everything works out for he and his family.

Misdemeanor means a judgement that it s not a felony. Why the Kings and the NBA have to add a punishment n this unsettled case is unclear at best right now. If it ends in any way well then could we let the man ply his profession and play basketball in Sacramento and the NBA? Too early to tell but I'm leaning to a positive outcome for his future as a Sacramento King.

Just because he has been charged with two misdemeanor counts does not mean that he will ultimately be convicted of those counts. In my general understanding, district attorneys typically overcharge for the purpose of settlement negotiations. We should probably have some patience while this plays out.
While I agree with the premise of innocent until proven guilty, this appears to be a relatively straight-forward case of scumbagness. Would love to be proven wrong, though.

Such a shame, I always thought DC was a solid locker-room guy. Which he may be - I'd just prefer that my locker-room guys weren't wife-beaters.

I don't see any new information being released, other than the charges being filed, which was expected.

It's premature to discuss anything about the direction the Kings should take in regards to this matter. I'm not sure why the report has not been obtained by the media yet? It's public record. Perhaps It has been released and I'm not looking in the right direction?

While I agree with the premise of innocent until proven guilty, this appears to be a relatively straight-forward case of scumbagness. Would love to be proven wrong, though.

Such a shame, I always thought DC was a solid locker-room guy. Which he may be - I'd just prefer that my locker-room guys weren't wife-beaters.
Have you seen the actual report yet or are you assuming it's straight-forward due to the DA filing charges?

I only ask because I'm curious if the report is out there and I'm not finding it.

Have you seen the actual report yet or are you assuming it's straight-forward due to the DA filing charges?

I only ask because I'm curious if the report is out there and I'm not finding it.
I am assuming based on the initial report that it was reported that the defendant had bruises. I hope it was a case of self-defence. I just don't imagine it's likely - here is where I am making presumptions. On this point, I shouldn't discuss more. I have no idea what happened.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'm not one to rush to judgement, and I hope for Collison and his family, that whatever happened will be put behind them and they can move forward in life. The fact that it's a misdemeanor, means it's unlikely that he struck her. More likely he did something like grab her by the arm, causing bruises etc. Not to excuse that, but many times something like that in the heat of an argument is not intended to do harm, but does! Right now, I'm more interested in knowing what the ramifications are as for as the league and the Kings are concerned? What are the possible outcomes? It's a shame the Kings have to go into the draft, and then freeagency without knowing the outcome of the Collison incident.

I'm not one to rush to judgement, and I hope for Collison and his family, that whatever happened will be put behind them and they can move forward in life. The fact that it's a misdemeanor, means it's unlikely that he struck her. More likely he did something like grab her by the arm, causing bruises etc. Not to excuse that, but many times something like that in the heat of an argument is not intended to do harm, but does! Right now, I'm more interested in knowing what the ramifications are as for as the league and the Kings are concerned? What are the possible outcomes? It's a shame the Kings have to go into the draft, and then freeagency without knowing the outcome of the Collison incident.
I would expect a suspension from 5-10 games after the case is resolved.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I am assuming based on the initial report that it was reported that the defendant had bruises. I hope it was a case of self-defence. I just don't imagine it's likely - here is where I am making presumptions. On this point, I shouldn't discuss more. I have no idea what happened.
The initial report said "visible injuries" ... nothing about bruises per se.

I think Kingsfans have been remarkably patient on this topic, which certainly has ramifications on the team. (Of course, I have no idea how many posts have been deleted because they crossed the line into the dark world of domestic violence).
I thought that the upcoming season would finally give DC a chance to be the King's starting PG for a whole season. Now that seems less likely.
While we don't know the outcome of this case, nor the impact on the Kings, we can see that this may lead to unforeseen personnel changes, and possibly even affect our choice on draft night.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
My impression and predictions have to do with what might be a complete separation of DC's long term future with the Kings and what happens with the criminal case. Certainly he may be suspended. It doesn't mean his career with the Kings is over. He has always seemed to me to be a mature, well spoken guy who was willing to give a post game interview when others weren't so eager. In other words, he seemed to have positive leadership qualities. We don't know if that is "real" or not but if he is truly a decent guy around the locker room, he may just need to take his lumps and with what I hope is positive help from his team mates, continue to contribute as a King. I would hope this latter is true; that indeed he is a positive force around the Kings locker room. In that case, we would most likely benefit most by keeping him rather than trading him. Certainly his trade value has dropped and he may be worth less in trade than that which accurately reflects his basketball value.

I hope the Collison family remains happily intact assuming that was the situation prior to this incident. Marriage relationships can be complex.

I hope we resign Curry and draft Dunn no matter what happens. I personally would be happy with a threesome of Collison, Dunn, and Curry. Even if Rondo is superior to all of them, letting him go or if he doesn't want to return, we would have extra money to help fill other positions.

I'm severely disappointed in Darren . He seems like the most mature and nicest guy on the whole team . But people do make mistakes in life and things can happen in the heat of an argument so I hope he learned from this , apologize and mov on .

Status
Not open for further replies.