[Game] Celtics @ Kings - 12/30/12

What's this team's record now without Tyreke in the lineup?
6-11 with him 5-8 without i believe. They started to play well when this whole Demarcus drama started. Like I was saying, maybe this whole ordeal has brought credibilty to Coach Smart for standing up to Big Cuz. Wish Tyreke was a part of this. The team is playing good team ball right now.

Last edited:
6-11 with him 5-8 without i believe.
Thanks, Agent23. I've been curious about it. I have League Pass and get to see about half the games, but for some reason it has felt to me like the ball moves a little better without Tyreke. As this team approaches a big decision about his future, I can't help but wonder if I wouldn't mind a trade.

I'm no Reke hater, but this is what I feel like I'm seeing.

Thanks, Agent23. I've been curious about it. I have League Pass and get to see about half the games, but for some reason it has felt to me like the ball moves a little better without Tyreke. As this team approaches a big decision about his future, I can't help but wonder if I wouldn't mind a trade.

I'm no Reke hater, but this is what I feel like I'm seeing.
I understand. Tyreke has been a scapegoat for alot of this team's misfortune lately. A couple of days ago, it was both Demarcus and Tyreke's fault for the lack of ball movement. Now that Big Cuz is back and just dropped a triple double, the wrath of Kings fans is directed towards Tyreke again. Hope he comes back soon and the team continues to play this way with him.

He was. He lost the spot by playing selfishly while the team played like dirt. He left, we played better.

But we're at a different point now. In particular without Reke and Thornton all the mini-chuckers suddenly have shots available. Without directly comparing two different players, its the Iverson theory -- if other big offensive options are out there they are going to struggle if the little guy with the ball instictively looks for himself. Its not just a Reke thing. But if those other options aren't out there than you NEED a guy who looks for himself. IT was the right guy for this moment, regardless of whether he fits when the big guns get back.

That BTW only slightly applies to this game, as the threes were mostly spotups (good) ratehr than off dribble (bad), and the Celtics lane kept parting lie the Red Sea. I don't care what your role, you gotta take advantage of that. But to try to pretend that is the way its always worked is just silly.
Again, our starting 5 at the beginning of the year was atrocious because Reke/JJ/Cousins were all bricking jumpers like crazy. No offense is going to be successful when your PG is your only player who can come even remotely close to hitting an outside shot consistently. IT absolutely had his struggles at the beginning of the year, but I think a lot of those issues have been resolved. You seem far too keen on IT and Jimmer being "selfish chuckers" when they really are not. They are scoring guards who are aggressive because that's what their role calls for. We've seen time and time again both guys improve their playmaking ability with getting others involved. The game IT played tonight and he's played the last 7 games is easily adaptable to adding Reke to the mix and playing off his strengths.

IT can be an incredibly effective asset to this team and we need to treat him as such.

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I don't believe anything that comes from Amico.
Just to hammer this note home, look at what Amico said to follow that up (link):

That'd definitely make more sense. RT @white_mamba3: Bobcats GM Cho wouldn't trade Walker or MKG. It'd probably be Henderson, Biyombo, Diop.
Think about that for a second. Amico thinks that Cousins for Henderson/Biyombo/Diop and "Kings will have a tough time turning down Bobcats' offer" actually belong in the same sentence. You've got Bobcats fans thinking they can get Cousins and Tyreke for Kemba and Biyombo. Sorry to disappoint them, but...that's not going to happen.

It's two different quotes.
First, he had a quote from, I believe, Cleveland GM. He covers Cavs and I don't think he has any ties outside of Ohio. That would probably mean that Cavs were contacted to be a third team.
Second, that started discussion on Twitter where some guy (@white_mamba3) suggested what you read.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Again, our starting 5 at the beginning of the year was atrocious because Reke/JJ/Cousins were all bricking jumpers like crazy. No offense is going to be successful when your PG is your only player who can come even remotely close to hitting an outside shot consistently. IT absolutely had his struggles at the beginning of the year, but I think a lot of those issues have been resolved. You seem far too keen on IT and Jimmer being "selfish chuckers" when they really are not. They are scoring guards who are aggressive because that's what their role calls for. We've seen time and time again both guys improve their playmaking ability with getting others involved. The game IT played tonight and he's played the last 7 games is easily adaptable to adding Reke to the mix and playing off his strengths.

IT can be an incredibly effective asset to this team and we need to treat him as such.
One of the things that has helped IT is the lineup he plays with. Now, instead of playing with only one other player (Thornton) who can spread the floor, he's playing with four other players that can spread the floor - Salmons, Jimmer, Cousins, and the new and improved Johnson. That makes a huge difference in spreading the floor and allows him to use his quickness.

He sent a tweet saying "coulda been a lot worse" or something to that effect.

so fingers crossed it's just an ankle sprain/twist and nothing more.

One of the things that has helped IT is the lineup he plays with. Now, instead of playing with only one other player (Thornton) who can spread the floor, he's playing with four other players that can spread the floor - Salmons, Jimmer, Cousins, and the new and improved Johnson. That makes a huge difference in spreading the floor and allows him to use his quickness.
Yep. IT had a problem with TO's in the beginning of the year, but no PG is going to look good running an offense when old Reke/Johnson couldn't hit any perimeter shots. With Salmons/Jimmer/Johnson/Brooks/Thornton and now Johnson all hitting consistent jumpers we're actually getting great shots off the penetration from our PG's and Salmons. 3 40%+ 3pt shooters and 2 36%+ 3pt shooters really opens up our offense

Last edited:
L

LWP777

Yep. IT had a problem with TO's in the beginning of the year, but no PG is going to look good running an offense when old Reke/Johnson couldn't hit any perimeter shots. With Salmons/Jimmer/Johnson/Brooks/Thornton and now Johnson all hitting consistent jumpers we're actually getting great shots off the penetration from our PG's and Salmons. Outside shooting makes all the difference in the world
Yes it does. It opens up and spreads the floor. I remember when our opponents would play 8 feet off of Tyreke and JJ just baiting them to shoot. That made things extremely difficult to run any offense.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
It's two different quotes.
First, he had a quote from, I believe, Cleveland GM. He covers Cavs and I don't think he has any ties outside of Ohio. That would probably mean that Cavs were contacted to be a third team.
Second, that started discussion on Twitter where some guy (@white_mamba3) suggested what you read.
Of course it's two different quotes. I'm not sure what difference that makes to my point. First Amico quoted an unnamed GM (not necessarily Cleveland) as saying that Charlotte's rumored offer to the Kings was too good for the Kings to pass up. Then only a few hours later, he says that Cousins for Henderson/Biyombo/Diop makes sense as being that "too good to pass up offer". It's the second comment that shows why I have no faith in Amico's basketball acumen. He's 95% of the way to saying, "LeBron James for Marcus Thornton and Francisco Garcia? Makes sense for the Heat!"

L

LWP777

Of course it's two different quotes. I'm not sure what difference that makes to my point. First Amico quoted an unnamed GM (not necessarily Cleveland) as saying that Charlotte's rumored offer to the Kings was too good for the Kings to pass up. Then only a few hours later, he says that Cousins for Henderson/Biyombo/Diop makes sense as being that "too good to pass up offer". It's the second comment that shows why I have no faith in Amico's basketball acumen. He's 95% of the way to saying, "LeBron James for Marcus Thornton and Francisco Garcia? Makes sense for the Heat!"
This would be a horrible trade and I'm the biggest critic of DMC out there.

He obviously doesn't know what that hard to reject package actually was. All he has is quote about existance of it and that one GM thinks it's irresistable. That's the point I make - you should take the second part as his own misguided opinion that is based on nothing.