Casspi is staying! (updated)

K

Kingsguy881

Love the guy. I used to call him Omri Nopasspi during his first stint. Second stint I was skeptical but damn he won me over real quick. I approve this thread.

I fully expect him to be with the team this year.
But I don't expect him to be re-signed until after we finish signing other guys to get to the cap.
I will be surprised, in a very disappointed way, if he isn't on the team to start the year.

We really should, he is the defenition of a Karl system player. Is either gonna take the 3 or attack the rim. Very good in the open floorx hustle guy.

The Kings NEED to show loyalty to Omri by making it clear they want him back, and will pay him fairly ($3 mil or less per year).
Omri hopefully shows loyalty be sticking with the only team he's been successful on.

I think and hope Omri realizes by now that the grass isn't always greener somewhere else. He's been to other places, and it didn't work out for him.
Last year he was great for this club - glue guy, did stuff that doesn't show up in the box score, etc.

The Kings and Omri need each other.
Make it work, both parties - please.

edit - almost forgot : And Kings front office - don't play games with Omri like last year and not sign his contract for days/weeks just so you can save a few pro-rated bucks.

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
edit - almost forgot : And Kings front office - don't play games with Omri like last year and not sign his contract for days/weeks just so you can save a few pro-rated bucks.
I have pointed this out before, but that did NOT happen. I'm really disgusted with James Ham for saying it in the first place without bothering to check if it were true.

The CBA is VERY clear. Minimum-salary contracts DO pro-rate, but they do not begin to pro-rate until the first day of the regular season. I don't remember when Casspi was signed (early September, I think), but he was signed and with the team during training camp. Far before the beginning of the regular season.

I don't know what in the world Ham was thinking or what kind of crappy "info" he was getting, but I have at least a possible explanation for what he might have been told, which might have been mistranslated into this false rumor that refuses to die.

What happened was this:

The previous offseason, Houston signed Omri to a two-year minimum deal, with the second season unguaranteed. After the first year, they put him on waivers. Had any team picked him up off of waivers, they would have assumed the second year of the minimum contract. No team picked him up. However, after he cleared waivers we (eventually) signed him to a minimum contract - the exact same value to the dollar that he would have had if we had picked him up off waivers. However, there is a trick with the CBA. As players get more league experience their minimum salary goes up. In order to encourage teams to sign veterans instead of (say) undrafted rookies to deep bench spots, the CBA has a provision where if you sign a vet to a one-year minimum contract, the league picks up part of the tab. The player gets the same amount, but part of the tab (and the cap hit) are absorbed by the league. But since this ONLY applies to one-year deals, it would NOT have applied to the second year of Omri's two-year deal had we picked him up on waivers. So by letting him go through waivers instead of claiming him, the Kings saved money on the contract WITHOUT COSTING OMRI A DIME.

That's what really happened. Let's quit repeating James Ham's false info on this one. He got it wrong.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Yes please. He wants to play here which is kind of a big deal. Understands his role. Reasonably priced. What's not to love?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I wouldn't mind having him back...he showed promise under Karl last season. He needs to control himself better though when out there...but I'd throw him a one or two year deal and see if he bites.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The Kings NEED to show loyalty to Omri by making it clear they want him back, and will pay him fairly ($3 mil or less per year).
Omri hopefully shows loyalty be sticking with the only team he's been successful on.

I think and hope Omri realizes by now that the grass isn't always greener somewhere else. He's been to other places, and it didn't work out for him.
Last year he was great for this club - glue guy, did stuff that doesn't show up in the box score, etc.

The Kings and Omri need each other.
Make it work, both parties - please.

1. Omri WANTS to stay here.
2. Omri is represented by Dan Fegan.
3. Dan Fegan just watched Vlade Divac bring in three major players to help Boogie.
4. I suspect Fegan will work with the Kings to keep Casspi here.

I have pointed this out before, but that did NOT happen. I'm really disgusted with James Ham for saying it in the first place without bothering to check if it were true.

The CBA is VERY clear. Minimum-salary contracts DO pro-rate, but they do not begin to pro-rate until the first day of the regular season. I don't remember when Casspi was signed (early September, I think), but he was signed and with the team during training camp. Far before the beginning of the regular season.

I don't know what in the world Ham was thinking or what kind of crappy "info" he was getting, but I have at least a possible explanation for what he might have been told, which might have been mistranslated into this false rumor that refuses to die.

What happened was this:

The previous offseason, Houston signed Omri to a two-year minimum deal, with the second season unguaranteed. After the first year, they put him on waivers. Had any team picked him up off of waivers, they would have assumed the second year of the minimum contract. No team picked him up. However, after he cleared waivers we (eventually) signed him to a minimum contract - the exact same value to the dollar that he would have had if we had picked him up off waivers. However, there is a trick with the CBA. As players get more league experience their minimum salary goes up. In order to encourage teams to sign veterans instead of (say) undrafted rookies to deep bench spots, the CBA has a provision where if you sign a vet to a one-year minimum contract, the league picks up part of the tab. The player gets the same amount, but part of the tab (and the cap hit) are absorbed by the league. But since this ONLY applies to one-year deals, it would NOT have applied to the second year of Omri's two-year deal had we picked him up on waivers. So by letting him go through waivers instead of claiming him, the Kings saved money on the contract WITHOUT COSTING OMRI A DIME.

That's what really happened. Let's quit repeating James Ham's false info on this one. He got it wrong.
Omri did have a relatively good season with the Rockets. However, he was traded with Asik to the Pelicans. It was the Pelicans who put him on waivers. Otherwise your description is accurate.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
If we had claimed Omri on waivers would we have Bird rights? If so it was kind of a short term win potential long term loss.

According to the Twitter leaves I've been reading, the mutual interest is there so now it's about the $. There's no advantage to Omri to be in a rush & no harm to #NBAKings.so I could see it taking a day or two longer than we'd like.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
According to the Twitter leaves I've been reading, the mutual interest is there so now it's about the $. There's no advantage to Omri to be in a rush & no harm to #NBAKings.so I could see it taking a day or two longer than we'd like.
Remember, as I've pointed out elsewhere, Dan Fegan is also Casspi's agent. Fegan has to be happy to see how much the Kings have done to put his premiere client (DMC) into a winning scenario, so I think he'll be very accommodating when it comes to us resigning Casspi.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
The thing about Omri not coming back because he wants more depends on him having other offers of significance. Now I think you can argue he SHOULD after he closed so well for us last season. But I am not sure that is the case. He was almost out of the league last year with very little market for him. I'm sure he's very reasonably looking at DWill's $5mil a year and saying hey! Me too! But if nobody offers it whether it makes sense or not is not is not likely to matter.

In Israeli media claimed that Casspi wants more money than Sacramento is willing to give him... Don't know about how much they're talking...
Also it said that both Cousins and Karl want Casspi back but FO is doubtfull about signing.

Every Kings fan should want casspi back. If money is the issue, sign a 2 yr deal with a player option. Opt out for a bump to $5-$6 mil next year if he plays good again.

The thing about Omri not coming back because he wants more depends on him having other offers of significance. Now I think you can argue he SHOULD after he closed so well for us last season. But I am not sure that is the case. He was almost out of the league last year with very little market for him. I'm sure he's very reasonably looking at DWill's $5mil a year and saying hey! Me too! But if nobody offers it whether it makes sense or not is not is not likely to matter.
The situation is like this: Casspi wants to play with the Kings. DMC and Karl want him back. I think that in this kind of situations it is just a matter of time when the ends meet. I'm still confident that Casspi will be back. Just a bit worried that teams like SA or Portland and a like may be looking at him too.