Carl Landry

He needs to take a long long vacation from the kings for a while. Thats all i have to say. I dont even know why he was on the floor in the fourth.

I've been trying to explain that Landry is a garbage/hustle 6th man, not a poor man's David West. The Kings keep trying to make him into that #2 option, and he's never going to be that. Donte should have played a lot more in the second half.

Carl has a place on the team. Tonight, it should have been on the bench, but normally...use him like houston did. This game is on the coach. Landry isn't a scrub.

Krunker

Northernmost Kings Fan
What happened to Mandry?

I like him for the toughness he brought to last season's team. He is a good hustle guy and for scrapping around the basket with nice timing on his head fake and put backs, but I question some of his recent play.

Edit: I am not ready to dump him though, but wouldn't mind a reasonable trade

gunks

Hall of Famer
Carl has a place on the team. Tonight, it should have been on the bench, but normally...use him like houston did. This game is on the coach. Landry isn't a scrub.

We are using him off the bench. And he's been sucking in that role. Just like he sucked as a starter.

I personally envision Landry's role as MAYBE being able to land us a late second rounder from a playoff team. But I doubt it.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
He just killed us out there. I was praying that Westphal would replace him. Could have inserted Omri, Greene, or Thompson and we would have been better off.
He is just sooo one dimensional.

he gets exposed by bigger PF's. have you seen when he tries to guard gasol? how about nowitzki? he is a good scrappy hustle 6th man option. thats a good role for him. last year he was our only post option and shined because he got to do whatever he wanted down there.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I think it's obvious that Carl isn't a right fit for this team. He is much better than what we are seeing. He just isn't very good in this offense, if you want to call it a offense. It's clear that we have enough players that pack the paint in Cousins, JT & Dalembert. He has no space to operate and he was better off in Houston with Scola starting and him coming off the bench with him being the only post player. I am not including Yao in this. I hope we let him walk this season, quite frankly I don't see why he even would want to come back. He looks like he doesn't really care, he isn't playing as hard as he did in Houston, not even close. It was an experiment worth trying, but now we see his style of play just doesn't mesh with what we currently have. It's a lose-lose for him & the team.

Finally found the biggest Kings homer on the planet. Jason Ross on the post game said Landry played great D on Dirk. You mean the 15 points he scored on him in the 2nd was great D?

Landry is better then this and again it comes down the mismanagement by the coaching staff.

He has some easy to define Positives and some easy to see Negatives its the coach that determines how and when he is used and playing him on taller players brings out the worst in Landry. Unfortunately for him more of the PF he will play against will be taller then him but he can still be used effectively in the right circumstances.

Tonight was on the coach but I still wouldn't want to see Landry on the floor for the last shot unless its against 4 guards and a sf. He isn't a good fit for us anymore and I think we will see him traded before the deadline.

Landry is better then this and again it comes down the mismanagement by the coaching staff.

He has some easy to define Positives and some easy to see Negatives its the coach that determines how and when he is used and playing him on taller players brings out the worst in Landry. Unfortunately for him more of the PF he will play against will be taller then him but he can still be used effectively in the right circumstances.

Tonight was on the coach but I still wouldn't want to see Landry on the floor for the last shot unless its against 4 guards and a sf. He isn't a good fit for us anymore and I think we will see him traded before the deadline.
I agree. Theres absolutely no reason why Coach put Landry in there to guard an allstar like Dirk, just no reason at all.

Dalembert botched more plays tonight than Landry did.... but it was on Landry when we needed it. Though, he shouldn't have been put in that position late in the game on an off night. This should of turned out different.

Landry is as good as ever at what he's meant to do... garbage buckets. We saw that today when he dunked on a Cousins fumble. Sadly the coaches ask too much of him. I don't blame him at all for this loss, just Westphal.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Finally found the biggest Kings homer on the planet. Jason Ross on the post game said Landry played great D on Dirk. You mean the 15 points he scored on him in the 2nd was great D?
Jason is a friend of mine, and I'm proud of him. He's worked his way up the food chain and turned himself into a good play by play and occasional talk show host. He also prides himself on being professional. That aside, he had blinders on in this game. Landry was clearly outmatched. Dirk is Dirk, and your not going to stop him. But Thompson made him take tougher shots just by being taller and having more length. Anyway, don't judge Jason on just one comment. We all say things we shouldn't at times.

As much as I'd like to blame Landry for this loss, it wasn't his fault. The whole point of the last posession of the game is to get the best possible shot under the circumstances (knowing the other team will play the best possessional D of the night during that particular sequence), not the shot with the highest percentage (chance of going in). You take whatever you can get. Cousins did the ball fake just inside the arc (Chandler left him to guard the post) and Cousins was left with a WIDE open jumper that could have tied the game. He was hot all game long. Either he was told to "just pass it" (in the timeout huddle) or else he just didn't want to take the shot. Either way that's just bad coaching. Players should have been told, if you're open...TAKE THE SHOT! This loss was all on Westfail, just like last year when Udoka was on Kobe when he easily hit the game winner. Westfail puts this team in positions to lose, night in, and night out.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
When you botch the last play of the game, your probably going to get blamed for the loss. That play is the last one that everyone remembers. Not fair, but thats the way it is. Of course if Cousins hadn't made two silly fouls in the last couple of minutes putting the Mav's on the line for an easy 4 pts, maybe we wouldn't have been in that situation. Or, if Westphal had reinserted both Greene and Thompson back into the lineup when he put Cousins, Beno, and Evans in, maybe we wouldn't have been in that situation.

I lay this loss at the feet of Westphal. Landry was struggling the entire game. It was just a bad matchup for him. He couldn't really guard Dirk because of being undersized, and Dirk could easily guard him. He's not the guy I want on the floor when I need a basket with 9 seconds left in the game. He's too limited in his offense. That should have been Greene sitting there out on the left wing. Not Landry! Or even Casspi, or Jeter. Someone that could put the ball on the floor and pull up for a shot. And thats not Landrys game. So I don't know why in the hell you have him in there for the last few seconds of the game.

How many times have you seen Landry dribble drive and pull up for a shot? You certainly don't want him taking a three pointer from the wing. So then why was he out there? Why did he play the entire 4th quarter, when he was clearly struggling. He just looked unconfortable out there. He's out there for just one reason. To score! That's the only reason you would have him out there instead of Thompson. And if he's not able to score, then Thompson is better in every other phase of the game. Passing, rebounding, defense etc. Those three things would have helped in the 4th quarter.

I was also somewhat confused by starting Cousins again in the third quarter, and after playing a few minutes he gets a knee in the groin and leaves the game. He doesn't really return for significant minutes until the end of the 4th quarter. I will admit that Dalembert was playing fairly well, if you overlooked a couple of mishandled balls. It just appears to me that westphal has a soft spot for veteran players, and wants to get them their minutes regardless of the game. When you have a player that is much better at passing the ball. That you can actually run the offense through. That scored 13 pts and had 7 rebounds in the first half, you get him back on the floor in a reasonable amount of time, regardless of how the other player is playing.

Westphal simply can't resist playing by the seat of his pants. He keeps it up and he's going to lose his pants.

Jason is a friend of mine, and I'm proud of him. He's worked his way up the food chain and turned himself into a good play by play and occasional talk show host. He also prides himself on being professional. That aside, he had blinders on in this game. Landry was clearly outmatched. Dirk is Dirk, and your not going to stop him. But Thompson made him take tougher shots just by being taller and having more length. Anyway, don't judge Jason on just one comment. We all say things we shouldn't at times.
It was pretty funny the first 4 callers were all ripping on Westfail for leaving laundry in and Ross was in total shock.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
It was pretty funny the first 4 callers were all ripping on Westfail for leaving laundry in and Ross was in total shock.
Hey we all go brain dead sometimes. I have no explaination, and obviously didn't hear the broadcast. But Jason is a good guy, so I'll cut him some slack. I'm coming up to sacramento on the 11th for christmas and my daughter has tickets for one of the games. I promise you I'll ask Jason about it when I see him.

Entity

Hall of Famer
I just don't get why landry is in for JT when JT had better production in 10 less min. Landry never made a good play all night to deserve the min he got. I think we may not see that again. IF we do then Westphal is tanking. He made a case for himself last night that he was tanking.