California shakes

I was reading about the series of earthquakes which have occurred off the coast of Califonia this week.
Apparently a 'quake with a magnitude of 6.6 was recorded off the state's northern coast towards the end of the week, with the epicentre just over 100 miles west of Ferndale.
Seismologists say there is a patchwork of faults which criss-cross California and that at some point in the future a major quake beneath Los Angeles could cause up to 18,000 deaths and US$250 billion in damage.:(

This led me to think of asking you the following questions:-
Do any of you worry about living in a region with an unstable plate structure?
Do you have a plan as to what you would do in case of such a disaster?
Is it something which you have lived with for so many years withour a major incident that you can take the view that the concerns are exaggerated?
Are all the 'problems' out at sea and Sacramento is safe really?

Londonking said:
I was reading about the series of earthquakes which have occurred off the coast of Califonia this week.
Apparently a 'quake with a magnitude of 6.6 was recorded off the state's northern coast towards the end of the week, with the epicentre just over 100 miles west of Ferndale.
Seismologists say there is a patchwork of faults which criss-cross California and that at some point in the future a major quake beneath Los Angeles could cause up to 18,000 deaths and US$250 billion in damage.:(

This led me to think of asking you the following questions:-
Do any of you worry about living in a region with an unstable plate structure?
Do you have a plan as to what you would do in case of such a disaster?
Is it something which you have lived with for so many years withour a major incident that you can take the view that the concerns are exaggerated?
Are all the 'problems' out at sea and Sacramento is safe really?

1) Do any of you worry about living in a region with an unstable plate structure?
The problem is probably overstated as a means to gain public funding for research and publicity.

2) Do you have a plan as to what you would do in case of such a disaster?
FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Administration), the State Office of Emergency Services (OES), and many local jurisdictions in California have earthquake response plans. A lot of people in Los Angeles and the San Francisco Bay Area already know the drill. Up here, in the Sierra nevada, we could care less. We only sweat forest fires. I say ONLY!

3) Is it something which you have lived with for so many years withour a major incident that you can take the view that the concerns are exaggerated?
Millions of people live in Iraq, India, Mexico, and Central Africa. We don't really have any problems here.

4) Are all the 'problems' out at sea, and is Sacramento relatively safe?
Sacramento is actually one of the safest places in California. It has a few fires, rare floods, a minor quake now and then, and the usual din of nuissance robberies, rapes, auto thefts, and homocides. Our greatest persistent problem was Rupe da Hoop.

Last edited:
thanks for your response QD.

(I realised after i established this thread that there has already been some dialog on the recent quakes on another thread....i should have looked harder) :eek: