[Game] California Classic 2023, Day 2 (7/5/2023): Kings vs. Heat 7pm Pacific, 10pm Eastern

Status
Not open for further replies.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Oh man, Brandon Miller was awful again? Wonder how bad they already wish they took Scoot.

I didn’t watch either game though … is this a “TRob” situation where you can just see he ain’t it or some sort of adjustment period?
No, he’s not going to be TRob or even Bagley. Shows an ability to pass, knocks down the catch and shoot 3….very easily at that. But is poor defensively fouling anything that moves and not sure about his handles. But to be fair, the Charlotte team suckssss. Everyone out to get theirs. It’s bad. I think he will be fine but I don’t see why they passed on Scoot. Gonna regret that one I think

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
No, he’s not going to be TRob or even Bagley. Shows an ability to pass, knocks down the catch and shoot 3….very easily at that. But is poor defensively fouling anything that moves and not sure about his handles. But to be fair, the Charlotte team suckssss. Everyone out to get theirs. It’s bad. I think he will be fine but I don’t see why they passed on Scoot. Gonna regret that one I think
Yeah, the fact that the Hornets have like no functional guards makes it too hard to take much from Miller’s performances but at the same time Keegan was putting up twenty a night with Frankie Ferrari running the point. I don’t think he’s gonna be a bust by any means but I don’t think he’s gonna be a star like Scoot or a couple of the other guys in the lotto.

Kessler is legitimately a good NBA defender. He made Jaime look like he didn't belong on a basketball court. I wish he could he get his 3 ball down because it's the only thing stopping him from having a really long successful career in the league.

Colby just looks like he knows how to play basketball. Without Keegan in Vegas, I think the Kings might be really hard to watch.. but this means an expanded role for Colby. I think he's miles ahead of Slawson.. Contrary to other opinions, I think the game is moving too fast for Slawson. He's going to be in Stockton for the whole year.
Yeah, Slawson 100% needs to be in Stockton this season. But it was nice to see the skill-set come out in this one and what the potential upside case for him is; point forward/strong defensively archetype.

Brandon Miller is a scorer that is at his best when his baskets are assisted. He is not an iso player. The Hornets need a PG to get him the ball.

Bulk Jovic is going to be a problem, he's massive at 6'11/skilled and very tough (draws fouls very well). I could not believe players like Dyson Daniels were drafted ahead of him last year, I thought he was a 13-18 pick at worst not 27.

Miami is better off trading for Rozier (could probably swap him for expiring Lowry) or Tyus Jones/similar level player and not giving up every single asset while signing Wood than 1-2 years of Dame.

Last edited:
I didn't think Queta played as poorly as you'd think after reading this thread. I've kinda been the negative Nancy about him getting minutes in the NBA because I watched a few G League games and didn't think he was ready, despite being one of the best players on the court. He still isn't in position a lot of the time, plays like he has the strength of a SG and makes some poor decisions but you can't deny the impact that he has in the paint. Only 1 block this game but I thought he affected a ton of shots at the rim. He also has some sneaky good offensive moves.

Ellis is a wizard at getting his hands on the ball defensively. I wish his offense wasn't such a roll of the dice because he is an absolute pest on the defensive end. You could probably put together a 10 minute highlight video of his defense from last night's game alone.

This is going to be contrary to popular belief but I was more impressed with the types of threes that Keegan took last night than his driving in the paint and trips to the line. I think maybe a third of those drives would have been successful in an NBA game. Handle is still very loose and he gets knocked off balance easily and has trouble finishing through contact but I love that the team recognizes that this is something he needs to work on in order to take his game to the next level. What really popped for me were the dribble hand off 3s, step back 3s and 3s he took moving left or right. We saw some of that last season but it was on full display this game. Looking like he could easily take over the dribble hand off game that Huerter has with Sabonis if needed and may even be better at it.

I wasn't real enamored with the Colby Jones pick but he's impressed me so far. I wish he had more quickness off the dribble because I think he's going to really struggle in any type of iso situations in the NBA but so far he just seems to do everything at a nice average to above average level. Solid IQ, hustles, rebounds, passes, isn't a liability from outside and does the little things to help the team win.

Slawson looks like a solid defender and decent passer and I know it's only been two games but I think anyone is crazy who thinks he's going to be playing minutes on the NBA club. An NBA team wouldn't rush to close out on him past the 3 point line. He would have to prove he can shoot and so far he looks absolutely terrified to do anything other than drive and kick.

On a non Kings note, I think Podz looks way better than I ever imagined. This guy is going to be a problem in the very near future. Really hate that GS drafted him.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Great game for Murray again. Even the six turnovers I like because it's the inevitable cost of handling the ball more, testing himself, and putting himself in some uncomfortable situations. I couldn't have come up with a better game for him if he was a video game character.

I'm really thinking that out of CJ, Ellis, Edwards, O'Connel, and J. Ford the Kings have something to work with. Edwards has already played with the big club, but I'd be surprised if one or two others out of the aforementioned group doesn't also find a place on the regular roster.

Oh man, Brandon Miller was awful again? Wonder how bad they already wish they took Scoot.

I didn’t watch either game though … is this a “TRob” situation where you can just see he ain’t it or some sort of adjustment period?
I hope the kids has good people around him... fans can be brutal, and this isn't the showing on the big stage he was looking forward to.

I didn't think Queta played as poorly as you'd think after reading this thread. I've kinda been the negative Nancy about him getting minutes in the NBA because I watched a few G League games and didn't think he was ready, despite being one of the best players on the court. He still isn't in position a lot of the time, plays like he has the strength of a SG and makes some poor decisions but you can't deny the impact that he has in the paint. Only 1 block this game but I thought he affected a ton of shots at the rim. He also has some sneaky good offensive moves.
Totally agree! His size and agility are noteworthy, and I thought a couple of his offensive moves were borderline elite. He's not a player I'd want to have showing up on the opposing team, but if we don't make a commitment and push him to the next level I think there are plenty of other teams who will line up to try.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Yeah, the fact that the Hornets have like no functional guards makes it too hard to take much from Miller’s performances but at the same time Keegan was putting up twenty a night with Frankie Ferrari running the point. I don’t think he’s gonna be a bust by any means but I don’t think he’s gonna be a star like Scoot or a couple of the other guys in the lotto.
It's hard not to think back to how Keegan won summer league MVP in spite of the players he shared the court with not because of them. No doubt people would have preferred to give it to Banchero or Chet.

I think fears of us "running it back" should be abated a bit after these first 2 games. Keegan VERY much looks like he's going to up his game a couple tiers.
after summer league???

look I’m a huge Keegan fan and whee when others proposed trades that included him I said no way in hell.

that said Keegan does little to shore up our 2-3 wing defense nor rim protection. We still don’t have that 3 and D wing stopper that most Conference final caliber teams have. This year was the year to get one and so far Edwards has been less than stellar.

after summer league???

look I’m a huge Keegan fan and whee when others proposed trades that included him I said no way in hell.

that said Keegan does little to shore up our 2-3 wing defense nor rim protection. We still don’t have that 3 and D wing stopper that most Conference final caliber teams have. This year was the year to get one and so far Edwards has been less than stellar.
In my defense, I did say "a bit".

And I'm just not gonna get into this whole 3&D thing again lol. The only good contract signed was Grant Williams for dudes in that tier. And we had no control whether or not Boston would let him walk to us.

Totally agree! His size and agility are noteworthy, and I thought a couple of his offensive moves were borderline elite. He's not a player I'd want to have showing up on the opposing team, but if we don't make a commitment and push him to the next level I think there are plenty of other teams who will line up to try.
Also his hops are incredible for a player his size.

F0NKcrNXoAMHhQV.jpg

Also hope Keon breaks in to the rotation this year, He is looking amazing on defense.

Grades:

Keegan Murray- A+. 41 points on 20 shots? 15 FTA? You kidding me? Not only was the efficiency mind-blowing, but how he got a lot of his looks was just as important. He had a real focus for self-creation and initiating the offense on a lot of his possessions; something we only saw a handful of times last year. Was shrugging dudes off him to create space and they were just forced to foul. Night and day difference from last season.

-Keon Ellis- A. Incredibly active on defense. Credited with 2 steals and 2 blocks, but I think he had like 7 or so strips on the night. Was just attacking passing lanes all game long. Looks incredibly comfortable with the ball in his hands and was kind of the 2nd scoring option behind
Keegan tonight. 4 FTA too.

Alex O'Connell- A. You shoot 5-6 for 14 points, in 10:52, you get an A. Them the rules. I remember really liking O'Connell last year too and he looks like someone we should get a bigger look at in Vegas. Might be a contender for a 2-way spot with a strong Vegas showing.

Colby Jones- A- Looks every part the super role player. Hit 2 corner 3's in the C&S, something incredibly encouraging for his development to keep him on the floor. Like Keon, was attacking passing lanes and being super active on defense all night. He was noticeable out there. Had 2 plays where he forces a miss on D, grabs the board and then goes full court to finish a lay-up on one possession and draw a foul on another.

Jordan Ford- B- Very steady. Plays within himself, looks for his teammates on O, works hard out there. 6 Assists/0 turnovers, His stand-out highlight was a fast break he turned the jets on for and had a great finish through traffic. Gotta shoot better than the 0-4 from 3 though. Don't think he's an everyday rotation player, but he's certainly a guy I wouldn't mind as my 15th man/emergency PG on the roster.

Kessler Edwards- B-. Keon/Kessler/Colby wing defense is going to be a big reason we win in Summer League because good lord. These boys are active on defense and looking to attack passing lanes all game long. Continued a lot of what we saw with the big league club last season with strong defense and strong contests all game long. Very active and looking to make hustle plays. Had a few real nice offensive plays attacking down-hill to finish at the rim. I just need to see some semblance of an outside shot. It's hard to justify putting you on the floor with Fox and Domas if you can't knock some 3's down.

Jalen Slawson- B-. There we go. After a very forgettable first game, we finally see what got Slawson drafted. He started running the break in the 2nd quarter and hit O'Connell for 2 easy C&S 3's. Hit him for another later in the game. Also found Keegan on another drive and kick (that he missed), but that looks to be a hallmark of his game. Was a little passive on D when playing with a big on D, but really came alive at the small-ball 5 in the 4th quarter. That unit allowed 7 Heat points in the last 6:10 of the game and Slawson was in the middle of a lot of that defensive disruption. Took just one ugly 3pt shot, so that could be an issue going forward if he doesn't have any sort of scoring game. But there's a ball-handling/creation/defensive versatility skill-set here that's very very intriguing to look more at. I like it.

Neemias Queta- C+. Bad 1st half. Awesome in the 2nd half. Grading on a sliding scale here for Queta since this is his 3rd summer league and I expect a lot out of him at this point. He's got to find the consistency to play like he did in the 2nd half most of the time. That's the only way he's going to stick in the NBA. Played his rim protector role well by just being big out there and being in the way. Had a few really nice offensive finishes. Also had several head-scratchers that make you go "WTF is Queta doing?" We'll see, I think Queta needs to have a big Vegas to secure an NBA contract and win one of those last 2 spots.

Jake Stephens- D. Saw a whole lot of nothing. Looked slow out there, not making an impact. Had a few nice skip passes, but generally looked overmatched for the competition.

Souley Boum- D. Cool name. No production. 9:26 of a whole lot of nothing out there. Does look like he has elite quickness, but that was the only real standout thing about him.
Agree with this grades but would be harder on Edwards who is 0 for California Classic from 3.

really does make you wonder why we spent money on Duarte. Between Huerter, Ellis, Jones and O’Connell (not to mention Monk) we have our share of 6’9 and under wingspan wings….

Ellis 6’ 8.5”
Jones 6’ 8”
Huerter 6’ 7.5”
Duarte 6’ 7”
O’Connell 6’ 4”
Monk 6’ 4”

Monte sure has a knack for stacking guys up in the same spot. Let’s hope we have a Haliburton / Sabonis 2.0 trade to get our 6’ 11” plus defensive wing. I continue to maintain Monk might be the most likely trade asset.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Agree with this grades but would be harder on Edwards who is 0 for California Classic from 3.

really does make you wonder why we spent money on Duarte. Between Huerter, Ellis, Jones and O’Connell (not to mention Monk) we have our share of 6’9 and under wingspan wings….

Ellis 6’ 8.5”
Jones 6’ 8”
Huerter 6’ 7.5”
Duarte 6’ 7”
O’Connell 6’ 4”
Monk 6’ 4”

Monte sure has a knack for stacking guys up in the same spot. Let’s hope we have a Haliburton / Sabonis 2.0 trade to get our 6’ 11” plus defensive wing. I continue to maintain Monk might be the most likely trade asset.
Two other things Monte has shown a propensity for:

(1) Taking low cost swings on wings
(2) Adding guys who have ties to key members of the current team.

For the second point, I certainly wouldn't say Metu, Okpala, & Moneke or Monk weren't worth adding for their own merit on the deals they signed, but their relationships with Brown and Fox respectively definitely played a part in why the team signed them as well as why they wanted to sign with the Kings.

Duarte may be a mix of both. For next season he costs a roster spot but little else. He'll be paid below the league average salary (and I believe below the median salary as well) but is an ending contract. So you see if he can look more like he did to start his rookie year. If so, great. If not, no huge harm.

And clearly he knows Sabonis and had good chemistry with him. I wouldn't be surprised if Monte ran the idea past Domas before pulling the trigger.

Outside of injuries to Huerter or Monk (or possibly Fox or Mitchell if Malik serves as the 3rd PG for this roster) there won't be many minutes at the SG spot.

But if Kessler can't be passable from outside there's the option to go small behind Keegan at SF and give those minutes to Duarte or Jones.

Two other things Monte has shown a propensity for:

(1) Taking low cost swings on wings
(2) Adding guys who have ties to key members of the current team.

For the second point, I certainly wouldn't say Metu, Okpala, & Moneke or Monk weren't worth adding for their own merit on the deals they signed, but their relationships with Brown and Fox respectively definitely played a part in why the team signed them as well as why they wanted to sign with the Kings.

Duarte may be a mix of both. For next season he costs a roster spot but little else. He'll be paid below the league average salary (and I believe below the median salary as well) but is an ending contract. So you see if he can look more like he did to start his rookie year. If so, great. If not, no huge harm.

And clearly he knows Sabonis and had good chemistry with him. I wouldn't be surprised if Monte ran the idea past Domas before pulling the trigger.

Outside of injuries to Huerter or Monk (or possibly Fox or Mitchell if Malik serves as the 3rd PG for this roster) there won't be many minutes at the SG spot.

But if Kessler can't be passable from outside there's the option to go small behind Keegan at SF and give those minutes to Duarte or Jones.
sure you can put Keegan, Duarte, Jones or Barnes there. But each of these lack either the lateral quickness or the length to be an above average defender at that spot. For us to be a Championship caliber team we need that guy…

Ellis 6’ 8.5”
Jones 6’ 8”
Huerter 6’ 7.5”
Duarte 6’ 7”
O’Connell 6’ 4”
Monk 6’ 4”

I think what's most likely going is Monte is taking a long-term approach here. He knows we can't pay all of Davion/Huerter/Monk, so I think we're getting a head start on the fill-ins for when one (or maybe even 2) are shipped out next off-season. My guess is Monk is the most safe with his relationship with Fox.

I think what's most likely going is Monte is taking a long-term approach here. He knows we can't pay all of Davion/Huerter/Monk, so I think we're getting a head start on the fill-ins for when one (or maybe even 2) are shipped out next off-season. My guess is Monk is the most safe with his relationship with Fox.
yeah think Monk is the most likely to be traded. Teams know when you are out of balance and target your best guy like teams wanted Hali.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
yeah think Monk is the most likely to be traded. Teams know when you are out of balance and target your best guy like teams wanted Hali.
The difference is that Haliburton had shown he was a starting level PG with the potential to be really, really good in that role. So far Monk has had two good seasons in a reserve role. There's no indication that would be a high level starting SG (especially given his size) and certainly no evidence that he could be a starting PG/lead guard.

And Capt Factorial can correct me if I'm wrong, but because the Kings signed him to a two year deal as a FA it means any team that would trade for him would have to be able to re-sign him next offseason and wouldn't have his Bird rights.

I love Monk and I hope the Kings find a way to keep him long term, but I can't see how another team would trade a starter level big wing who can mesh with the existing Kings team offensively and be a plus defender (ideally with rim protection and outside shooting) for him.

The Kings would be better off if Davion started for a stretch before the AS break and put up huge numbers that made teams believe he'd be a great starting PG. Because they'd have a team option on him for the following season and then full Bird rights to re-sign him after that.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
With the way that chemistry is working between Fox and Monk, I would actually expect the opposite. I don't think Monk is going anywhere as long as Fox/Monk is one big happy family.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
And Capt Factorial can correct me if I'm wrong, but because the Kings signed him to a two year deal as a FA it means any team that would trade for him would have to be able to re-sign him next offseason and wouldn't have his Bird rights.
Early Bird rights would attach and go along with Monk in any trade. But just like us, it would be Early Bird and not full Bird.

Status
Not open for further replies.