Bucks get Magloire for Mason

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2204385

The Milwaukee Bucks continued to aggressively reshape their roster Wednesday by beating out several teams to acquire New Orleans/Oklahoma City center Jamaal Magloire, according to NBA front-office sources.

[size=-2]Magloire[/size]

In a trade that will be announced later Wednesday, Milwaukee has agreed to send swingman Desmond Mason, its 2006 first-round pick and cash considerations to the Hornets for Magloire, an East All-Star in 2004.

The Bucks, according to sources, felt they needed a more physical presence on their front line to aid the development of No. 1 overall pick Andrew Bogut and the recently re-signed Dan Gadzuric.

[size=-2]Mason[/size]

Given Milwaukee's logjam of swingmen after retaining Michael Redd, trading for Jiri Welsch and signing Bobby Simmons, a trade involving Mason between now and the February deadline was somewhat inevitable. This one gives the Bucks an opportunity to play Magloire and Bogut together, with Simmons starting at the other forward spot. The Bucks also have Gadzuric and Joe Smith in what suddenly looks like a well-rounded frontcourt rotation.

The Hornets have been shopping Magloire for months as part of their own makeover, which accelerated in February when Baron Davis, another former All-Star, was dealt to Golden State.

Coach Byron Scott denied earlier this week that Magloire was available, but the Hornets  rebuilding around the embryonic backcourt of Chris Paul and J.R. Smith and displaced from its home base in New Orleans for at least a season - seized the chance to add another 2006 first-rounder to their own and an athletic swingman with ties to the team's new home state.

Mason, entering his sixth season out of Oklahoma State, carries a career scoring average of 12.9 points per game and averaged a career-best 17.2 points last season.

Magloire played only 23 games in 2004-05 because of a fractured ring finger but averaged 13.6 points and 10.3 rebounds in the previous season. The five-year veteran's 19 points in the 2004 All-Star Game led the East.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Mr. S£im Citrus said:
Any chance they'll try to start Bogut at PF?
He or Gadz. Twin towers? 6'11" Magliore. 6'11 Gadzuric. 6'10" Smith. 7'1" Bogut...gonna be some bodies flying.

I am abruptly envious of the Milwaulkee Bucks frontcourt. :eek:

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
A bit of a strange deal for both sides.

I'm not sure how Mason helps the Bucks as they already have JR Smith and Mason is really more of a SG than a SF. On the other hand, he seemed like a very good sixth man for the Bucks.

Getting Magloire is a good deal for Milwaukee from a talent perspective, but I'm interested to see how well he and Bogut can co-exist on the front line.

My first impression is that the Hornets got fleeced. Then again, the Hornets are looking to clean house and improve the team's chemistry/attitude. It's hard to get equal value when you are in that mindset.

At the very least it means we won't have to see Joe Smith as a starter anymore. Anyone think the Warriors regret taking him #1 over KG? Or Todd Fuller over Kobe Bryant? Or Adonal Foyle over Tracy McGrady? They really missed the prep to pros bandwagon. But I digress . . .

Milwaukee's lineup now looks like this:

C Bogut
PF Magloire
SF Simmons
SG Redd
PG Ford

They are a little thin as far as wings off the bench, but Mo Williams and Gadzuric will be fine as the backup point and bigman respectively.

The Bucks look good on paper, but Bogut has to pan out, he and Magloire have to play well together, Redd needs to not have a let down after signing his deal and TJ Ford needs to stay healthy and return to form.

IF all those things happen, they could make the playoffs this season and have a pretty good nucleus for the future.

Bricklayer

Even if Bogut is not ready they could just start:

C- Magliore
PF- Gadzuric
SF- Simmons
OG- Redd
PG- Ford

and have one of the nastiest defensive/rebounding frontlines in basketball, let alone the East.

then bring in Williams, Smith, bogut off the bench, and really just need one backup swingman to be ready to rumble. And Welsch, Ilyasova and Kukoc may alreayd have that covered.

Last edited:

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Ok I understand the Bucks rational, but the fire sale the Hornets seem to be having leaves me perplexed. Not exactly what a struggleing team that might relocate would want to put out there. Get rid of your all star players and stock up on RAW young players and leage journymen. Not exactly the kind of line up that will pack them in in Kansas any more than it did in the Big Easy.

Bricklayer

HndsmCelt said:
Ok I understand the Bucks rational, but the fire sale the Hornets seem to be having leaves me perplexed. Not exactly what a struggleing team that might relocate would want to put out there. Get rid of your all star players and stock up on RAW young players and leage journymen. Not exactly the kind of line up that will pack them in in Kansas any more than it did in the Big Easy.
Wonder what PJ Brown is thinking about now? ;)

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can understand a rebuilding team wanting draft picks, but I certainly wouldn't want them in THIS year's draft.

I haven't given much thought to the talent pool that will be available, but with no HS players (or Euros under 19), I think it has the potential to be one of the weakest in a long time.

Off the top of my head I can only think of Rudy Gay and Adam Morrison and neither of them has really wowed me. I think the Hornets have a building block in Chris Paul. I don't know if the draft is going to provide them with any more star power. Solid role players maybe.

I haven't been too focused on the preseason this year, has TJ Ford played much for the Bucks? I REALLY liked what I saw from him before his spinal cord injury. I think he could be the key to the Bucks season, moreso than Bogut or Redd.

Wow. Interesting trade... came outta nowhere, though I knew Magloire was in lots of rumors. It gets their Mason/Simmons logjam cleared so Simmons can start and not play undersized at PF (because of Joe Smith's injury). Then Magloire can come in and be the PF, while Bogut comes off the bench, since that was talked about being likely in the last few days anyways. Then Gadzuric at center. Bucks had a solid off-season before, but now they've had quite the off-season. I was going to check out the Bucks a bit this season before, but now I will some more.

Desmond Mason I'd think starts at one of the swingmen spots for Hornets, and the Smith/Arvydas proposed swingman combo is gone now. Mason helps out the Hornets in the talent and scoring area for sure. R1 pick gives Hornets more building. I guess Brown/Andersen will be at center and PF.

This Bucks deal makes the East even more competitive and deep than it was before too (including the Bucks).

Also today, Jumaine Jones traded to Bobcats for a 07 or 08 2nd round pick.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Kings113 said:
Also today, Jumaine Jones traded to Bobcats for a 07 or 08 2nd round pick.
That's mroe than a little surprising. Why would they do that? They need all the talent they can find.

Edit: Just checked -- ending contract too. So ??? Had generally assujmed he would be a decent fit as one of Phil's patented off the bench three point shooters. Then they just give him away for no particular salary cap advantage?

Ironic that the Bobcats now get to play with our old almost coulda been hyper-atheltic swingman duo of Wallace and Jones.

Last edited:
I don't know, Jones is a really good back-up and good player. I figured he'd stay there, seems like a Phil-player. Certainly helps the Bobcats depth though.

LPKingsFan said:
Time to ask to be traded to Sacramento for Kenny Thomas.
Hell yeah, I'd do that.

Brick's proposed deal of KT/Corliss for Brown/Lynch (older, but skilled and age not a factor) would be swell.

But, not like I'm against KT/Corliss on the team, just would help us still and be a good deal.

I wonder if they are willing to trade Dan Gadzuric now? I am sure we could come up with a trade like say Kenny Thomas for Dan Gadzuric. Kenny would give them a person would cover two postions for them SF and PF and it would give us a rebounding defensive front court player we so desperately need. Come on Petrie it is time to do your magic.

Kings113 said:
I doubt it, they re-siigned him to a 40 or 50-million mulit-year deal.
Yes but they now have commited over 80 million on just the PF Center positions alone. That is alot of money invested in just three players in just 2 positions.

Thats a pretty slow frontcourt. Kind of wierd. A lot of teams are out there trying to find ways to play small, and the Bucks are going the other direction. That pick for the Hornets could be another high first so good for them!

Bricklayer

SacTownKid said:
Thats a pretty slow frontcourt. Kind of wierd. A lot of teams are out there trying to find ways to play small, and the Bucks are going the other direction. That pick for the Hornets could be another high first so good for them!
A lot of teams out there are kinda being stupid -- you will notice the steady parade of power teams winning NBA titles. Or even contending -- aside from the obvious Shaq, Duncan, Big Ben trio, the serious teams are all trying to match that power up front. Yao and now Swift in Houston. Dallas grabbed Dampier and now Diop to go with Dirk. Denver has Camby/KMart/Nene. Phoenix went out and got Kurt Thomas to team with Amare and Marion. Gotta have strength and power up front to get it done.

Wonder if this might be an early referendum on Bogut? Preseason stats have looked ok, but haven't watched any games. In any case, if they go with Gadzuric at the PF, he's very athletic and can match up with PFs very well everywhere except the perimeter for a guy like Dirk. And he and Magliore should largely shut down the lane and dominate the glass.

Strange trade for the NOH. I don't understand it from their pov. As far as Milwakee, they are a little slower now, but adding Jamaal Maglore should be nice, especially if he can run the floor.

Magloire was great before his injury. I remember him shutting down Shaq one time by blocking Shaq's dunk attempt sending Shaq to the hard floor. That was super...i just hope he regains his All-star form with the Bucks. i bet they'll be a great team in the East.

Bucks should have a good enough team to make the playoffs. They are leaning towards one of my oter fav teams other than teh Kings! they have big, BIG men now!

Really, don't understand why NO did though........

OKLAHOMA CITY -- As part of their continuing effort to build a more athletic team, the Hornets finalized a trade Wednesday, sending center Jamaal Magloire to the Milwaukee Bucks for Desmond Mason, a first-round pick in 2006 and an undisclosed amount of cash.

Though Coach Byron Scott denied Sunday that the Hornets were exploring trade offers for Magloire, General Manager Jeff Bower said they had listened to a number of offers and even initiated some discussions with teams.

"The biggest thing is that we talked to a lot of teams," Bower said. "A lot of teams called us, and we called a couple of teams. We had a very broad group of talks, just trying to get an assessment of the type of players and value for Jamaal. We're very pleased and excited on what we found."

Mason, who is 6 feet 5, is entering his sixth season. He is a versatile, athletic player who averaged a career-high 17.2 points for the Bucks last season.

Mason, 28, is likely to start at small forward, but he'll have competition from Bostjan Nachbar, who is was having his best training camp, and Rasual Butler, who was obtained in a trade from the Miami Heat in August and showing promise.

Mason "brings energy, athleticism, and I don't know if we've got a guy that can run up and down the floor as fast as he can," Scott said.

"He's still a dunker, but he's added a lot more to his game than that. He gets to the free-throw line a lot and is a great one-on-one player. He's going to help us in the transition game, and he's a tough defender."

Neither Bower nor Scott ruled out more trades. The Hornets are loaded at small forward, and at shooting guard with J.R. Smith, Arvydas Macijauskas and Kirk Snyder.

"There's no telling," Scott said about the prospect of future trades. "We loaded ourselves up with some pretty good talent, so there's no telling what's going to happen. But I think we have definitely helped ourselves for the future of this franchise."

Magloire, 27, who scored 12 points and grabbed 15 rebounds against Shaquille O'Neal and the Miami Heat in his final game with the Hornets on Tuesday night in Baton Rouge, didn't seem to mind the trade. When he got news of it about 15 minutes before practice ended at the Ford Center, he flashed a smile, then happily began to approach each player with a handshake or hug to say goodbye.

Magloire, who was known as "Big Cat," also walked up to Scott and told him, "I appreciate you putting up with me."

Then Magloire rushed to clear out his locker, leaving the arena without speaking to the media.

When asked about the trade rumors Sunday, Magloire said he didn't have anything to say until he knew for sure that a trade was in the works. But for the past two seasons, he had expressed a desire to eventually play for his hometown team, the Toronto Raptors.

The Hornets tried to accommodate his wishes in June, but they wanted the Raptors' two first-round picks. Toronto wasn't willing to give up both, so the deal fell through.

Magloire, like former point guard Baron Davis, was not happy with some of management decisions last season, particularly barring personal trainers from the Alario Center practice facility in Westwego.

At the start of training camp, Magloire said all those issues were behind him and that he intended to be professional for the entire season, wanting to set an example for the young players.

"We just wish him well. (Magloire) is a great guy, and I know he wants to be closer to home," Scott said. "We think, for us and for him, this is probably the best thing to do."

Magloire, 6 feet 11, was the Hornets' first-round pick in the 2000 draft. In five seasons, he averaged 9.5 points and 7.4 rebounds.

The 2003-04 season, the team's last in the Eastern Conference, was his best, and he was rewarded with his first appearance in an All-Star Game. He averaged a career-high 13.6 points and 10.3 rebounds under former Hornets coach Tim Floyd.

In some preseason games this season, Magloire showed his physical strength, scoring on putbacks and dunks. But he also showed a few of his limitations in Scott's up-tempo offense, occasionally slowing the ball movement by holding it too long before getting a shot or passing out from the post area.

Now that he's gone, the center spot will be shared by P.J. Brown and Chris Andersen, Scott said. Backup center Maciej Lampe will likely play some as well.

Scott said Brown could be the starter, with David West possibly moving into a starting role at power forward, replacing Brown, with Jackson Vroman and Brandon Bass both playing more as backup power forwards.

"We're in a situation where we're trying to reload," Bower said. "While we acquire assets, we also have to watch and see how these players we have come together. It's something we can't overlook."

Some of the Hornets were surprised by the trade.

"I didn't know it was coming," said Brown, who thought Magloire would be traded at the end of this season. "But it definitely changes the makeup of the team a lot. Big Cat has been the center the last four of five years, so it will give us a totally different look. I guess the move is all about the team being a little more up-tempo. We won't have that big low- post presence like we had. I guess we're going to have a lot of quick guys."

Brown said he thought at times Magloire's heart wasn't totally with the team because of his desire play in his hometown.

"I think he'll be the first to tell you that," Brown said. "I guess it was something he was looking forward to probably. I guess he got what he wanted."
http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-20/113039257750400.xml

lol at the Magloire bold...

So:

Paul/JR Smith/Mason/West/Brown - not bad.... seriously. That is one hell of a group of swingmen they got, plus Paul. Also have some solid depth at front court with PJ/Andersen/Vroman/West/Lampe (I guess he improved?)/Bass.

I may actually watch some Hornets games this season. ;)

Last edited:
Ever since the Milwaukee Bucks signed Bobby Simmons as a free agent over the summer, there has been subtle speculation that Desmond Mason would eventually be traded.
After all, Simmons’ primary position, like Mason's, is small forward.
Wednesday, the rumors turned to reality. The Bucks sent Mason to the New Orleans Hornets for power forward-center Jamaal Magloire. The Bucks also sent their No. 1 pick in next year’s draft and an undisclosed amount of cash to the Hornets. The draft pick is not lottery protected.
Bucks general manager Larry Harris, reached in Denver, said Magloire will be thrust immediately into the starting lineup. However, he wasn't sure whether Magloire would start at center or power forward and with whom: either power forward Joe Smith or rookie center Andrew Bogut, who was the No. 1 overall selection in last June's NBA draft. That decision, Harris said, will be determined by Bucks head coach Terry Stotts.
"They haven't practiced yet, but Jamaal will be a starter,'' Harris said. "At what position, I don't know. Whether it's at the four (power forward) or five (center), that's for Terry to decide. It's up to him to decide who the starters are.
"I will say this: I do anticipate Andrew and Jamaal will play quite a bit together.''
Harris said he didn't start working on the trade until last Monday. Harris said he read an article about the Hornets possibly being willing to deal Magloire on Hoopshype.com, a popular basketball Web site. Harris then contacted Hornets officials and the parties became exploring different trade scenarios.
The Bucks were among several teams that heavily pursued Magloire, among them being the Los Angeles Clippers, Memphis, Toronto, Indiana and the Los Angeles Lakers. It is believed when Harris was agreeable to giving up its top draft choice in next summer's draft, the deal was sealed.
The 6-foot-11, 259-pound Magloire was the 19th overall pick in the 2000 NBA draft. After averaging 4.6 points as a rookie with Charlotte, Magloire’s game took off and his scoring averages increased, going from 8.5 to 10.3 to 13.6 over the next three seasons. He is also a quality rebounder and averaged 10.3 boards during the 2003-2004 season, when he was chosen to the All-Star Game.
Magloire played in all 82 games during those three seasons, but a fractured ring finger sidelined him for all but 23 games last season. He is fully recovered from the injury and started all five of the Hornets' preseason games. In those five games, Magloire averaged 10.8 points and 8.2 rebounds in 24 minutes.
Besides liking Magloire's basketball talents, Harris said he wanted to safe-guard his team in case of any serious injury to one of their frontcourt players. Smith has been plagued by a mysterious ailment in his left knee, although he played in his first preseason game Tuesday night against Dallas and didn't experience any swelling in the knee on Wednesday.
Also, backup center Dan Gadzuric has been slowed by a sore knee.
"I thought we were very deep at the one, two and three positions,'' Harris said. "But I saw that we were one injury away from being hurt on the front line. That's where we could have been really hurt. We would have been very thin then.''
Magloire has just two years left on his contract. He will earn $8.3 million in each of those seasons.
Mason, a sixth-year pro whom the Bucks acquired two years ago in a blockbuster trade with Seattle that also involved Ray Allen and Gary Payton, is coming off his best season, one in which he averaged a career-high 17.2 points. Mason, contacted by The Journal Times at his hotel in Denver, said he didn't want to comment on the trade until he spoke with his agent, Roger Montgomery. It'll be a homecoming of sorts for Mason. He played at Oklahoma State, and the Hornets, because of Hurricane Katrina, will play 35 of their home games in Oklahoma City.
Harris said the trade caught Mason off guard.
"If I had to use one word, it would be shocked,'' Harris said.
Mason had made it clear he wanted to remain the Bucks' starter at small forward after the Bucks signed Simmons. However, there weren't any assurances of that occurring. With the Hornets, Mason is expected to do that.
"Getting a player of his quality in addition to acquiring an unprotected first-round pick that we'll be able to use immediately in this upcoming draft is a package that we feel really has tremendous value," Hornets general manager Jeff Bower said. ""We feel that this gives us a player we want and the player to add for our future that we are really, really excited about.''
Likewise, Harris likes his newest acquisition
"I think Jamaal brings three things to the table,'' Harris said. "He brings us a rebounding presence, which we need; he has a physical presence, which we need, and he has the ability to score down on the blocks, which we need.''
-- With the Bucks' opener set for Nov. 1 against the 76ers in Philadelphia, the Bucks are expected to finalize their roster within the next two days. Expected to be released are Josh Davis, Tommy Smith and Andre Barrett. That would put the Bucks' roster at 14 players. NBA teams are allowed to carry 15 players.
http://www.journaltimes.com/nucleus/index.php?blogid=24','141'