Breaking the Boogie Curse This Weekend

How are these back to back home games going to go?

• Beat Indiana, Beat Orlando

Votes: 25 69.4%
  • Beat Indiana, Lose Orlando

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • Lose Indiana, Win Orlando

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • Lose Indiana, Lose Orlando

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
So, we have lost 16 games in a row without DeMarcus Cousins. Coach Malone has never coached a single victory without Cousins on the floor. He's 0-14 for his career without his big meal ticket.

And we need these games now. Our fast start has been battered by a spate of terrible luck, and our whole realistic chance to make the playoffs may rest in dominating the rest of this month on our home floor.

So here's what we face before we have any chance of getting Boogie back: a rare (although its going to happen to us twice more on this long hometand) home court back to back, but against two weak East teams on long road trips.

Team 1 -- Indiana Pacers (Friday 7;00PST)
Overall Record: 7-12
Road Record: 3-7

3-7 on the road, coming off of road losses to Phoenix and Portland, Boogie or not this is one you just have to win if you want to be talked about like those teams as a West power. The Pacers have recently gotten back David West, and along with Hibbert (who has been much better this year without Stephensen around) that makes them very tough inside defensively. Offensively its another story, its not clear how much West has left at 34 coming off injury, and despite some big games, the stats say the Pacers score better when Hibbert isn't out there (although possibly normal little chuckers run and chuck when freed of the need to slow down and play basketball). The real key is the backcourt -- the Pacers don't have one. All 3 starters from last year are gone at the moment. What they do have is a variety of any given night guys just waiting for a team to come along with shaky defensive focus and set them free for a big night. Chris Copeland can be particularly scary in that regard, although he's slumping badly.

C- Roy Hibbert
PF- David West
SF-- haha
SG-- Stuckey?
PG-- haha

various other random guys. Some Scola, Copeland, Watson, Miles etc.

Team 2 -- Orlando Magic (Saturday 7;00PST)
Overall Record: 7-14
Road Record: 5-9

They have a better road record than the Pacers, and might even be able to increase it tonight as they play the Jazz. With both teams playing the night before, there won't be any back to back excuse stuff. We're the final stop on a 5 game road trip through the West, and they don't play for 4 days after we're done, so maybe they might be looking forward to the break. Have lost 6 of 7, but note: they beat Phoenix a few games ago, and came within 1 point of beating the Warriors. They can be dangerous. A major key or problem could be Nikola Vucevic. While we have appropriately been mostly interested in Boogie and Davis and Gasol, Vucevic has quietly been putting up big numbers emerging as maybe the East's best center. Not special like Cousins, but a big strong kid who uses his size and has solid moves. Not much on defense, but if we are Boogieless all of a sudden our frontline looks like the Suns, or a team in the East, and he could kill us...but only if he's healthy. Because that's the potential key : he's been missing games due to back spasms, and plans tonight (Jazz game) as a time to return to the court. How will he feel on the second night of a back to back? If he doesn't go, then Kyle O'Quinn, who a number of people around here think would make a nice young PF next to Cousins, has been getting those minutes.

C- Nikola Vucevic (or hopefull, Kyle O'Quinn)
PF- Channing Frye
SF- Tobias Harris
SG- Evan Fournier (started season hot, has cooled dramatically)
PG- Victor Oladipo

Payton off the bench

So, no more fooling around. Good teams win even when their top guys are out. Two beat up East teams on the backend of long Western trips? Gotta win. So I added a poll. Get it right and you a free copy of Honey Boo Boo: The Complete Collection in your stocking this Christmas.

Last edited:
First off, Hollins should not be starting in place of DMC. JT should slide over to Center and Landry should start at PF. Landry can give the Kings some of DMC's scoring in his absence.

Start five for Kings should be:

PF Landry / Dwill
SF Gay / Casspi
C Thompson / Hollins
SG Ben Mac / Nik
PG Collison / McCallum / Sessions

The kings will be okay with this line up. 2-0 on the next two with this lineup.

First off, Hollins should not be starting in place of DMC. JT should slide over to Center and Landry should start at PF. Landry can give the Kings some of DMC's scoring in his absence.

PF Landry / Dwill
SF Gay / Casspi
C Thompson / Hollins
SG Ben Mac / Nik

I agree, although I'd consider going smaller and starting Casspi against the Magic since he'd be fine chasing Frye around the perimiter. Starting Hollins is a waste.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
First off, Hollins should not be starting in place of DMC. JT should slide over to Center and Landry should start at PF.
Against the Pacers I'm not so sure. We need a good defender to slow down West (seems like JT is the best option) and we need a big body to keep Hibbert out of the paint and off of the boards. Now, I'm not not saying that Hollins is definitely a great matchup here, but I'm not sure there's a better one. Hollins nominally has the size to contend with Hibbert whereas somebody like Landry/Evans does not. We could go JT on Hollins and Landry/Evans on West - but does that mean West torches us? I think that to start out, Hollins/JT is worth a try tonight. If it doesn't work, try something else.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
If the team is going to take ITSELF seriously they have to figure out how to win at least some home games with out DMC. I know we are looking at a work in progress but learning how to scratch out wins with out your star is part of that progress. I voted for both but I will be satisfied with 1-1

Against the Pacers I'm not so sure. We need a good defender to slow down West (seems like JT is the best option) and we need a big body to keep Hibbert out of the paint and off of the boards. Now, I'm not not saying that Hollins is definitely a great matchup here, but I'm not sure there's a better one. Hollins nominally has the size to contend with Hibbert whereas somebody like Landry/Evans does not. We could go JT on Hollins and Landry/Evans on West - but does that mean West torches us? I think that to start out, Hollins/JT is worth a try tonight. If it doesn't work, try something else.
Hollins give you next to nothing, except a big body. I think Landry can match up against West pretty well. They are very similar size players, with similar games. JT can Defend Hibbert.

With Hollins in the starting line up, Kings are 0-4. I think it is time to try something different. Going with the same lineup that just lost you four straight is not good coaching, IMHO. I would hope coach Malone is smarter than that.

Well, of course they haven't won when they start Hollins, because they only start Hollins when Boogie is out, which is the big issue.

I'd be more interested in seeing how Hollins affects the team beyond the W/L metric.

http://www.popcornmachine.net/gf?date=20141202&game=TORSAC
-13 during first part of first quarter with Hollins starting. He doesn't see any action after.

http://www.popcornmachine.net/gf?date=20141130&game=MEMSAC
Actually only -2 for Hollins, but he's not on the court when the Kings make their second half run. (and this is against Memphis, with a more formidable front line than Indy).

http://www.popcornmachine.net/gf?date=20141128&game=SACSAS
Team worst -13 in the game.

Have no prediction. Ruins watching the game. Agree we have to win one. I'll be happy to let Malone pick the starting lineup. Right now I think it is a mental game to a large degree. Ma,one will say the right words but it will depend on how many if any can shed their pessimistic attitude about their game and the team game. Maybe if they adopt nicknames for the night like Timmy, LeBron, Steph, AK, Roz, or whatever works. Go Kings!!

Kingster

Hall of Famer
The Kings have got to win this one sans Cousins. Do they need big brother around every_single_ time to have a shot at getting a win? Man-up Kings. You're KINGS, after all, not serfs, not peons, and certainly not a Pacer. Heck, what the heck is a Pacer anyway - one who keeps pace? With what? - a snail, a toddler, a shopper, an escalator, an assembly line? How dull is that? If a King can't win over a lousy Pacer then throw the royal lineage out the window, dishoner Henry XIII and all his wives, and send yourself to the gallows. For once, have a little royal courage without your first knight by your side. Fight! Fight! Fight!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I predicted we'll win both because it doesn't cost anything to be optimistic. I ALWAYS hope for the best and deal with anything less if/when I have to.

PF Landry / Dwill
SF Gay / Casspi
C Thompson / Hollins
SG Ben Mac / Nik

If you cant start Hollins when Cousins is down, why is he even on the roster ?

Need to come out strong and beat this team. Hit um in the mouth early and often till they pack it in.

The Kings have got to win this one sans Cousins. Do they need big brother around every_single_ time to have a shot at getting a win? Man-up Kings. You're KINGS, after all, not serfs, not peons, and certainly not a Pacer. Heck, what the heck is a Pacer anyway - one who keeps pace? With what? - a snail, a toddler, a shopper, an escalator, an assembly line? How dull is that? If a King can't win over a lousy Pacer then throw the royal lineage out the window, dishoner Henry XIII and all his wives, and send yourself to the gallows. For once, have a little royal courage without your first knight by your side. Fight! Fight! Fight!
Not sure if you're serious, but:

The team is named after Indiana's history with harness racing pacers as well as the Indianapolis 500's pace cars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_Pacers