Breakdown of Mobley's game, contract, and trade

Defense:

Pros:

- Good strength, won't ever be outmucsled or bullied by opposing SGs.

- Good overall quickness, good reaction time. Is 30 years old, so he' probably isn't going to slow down soon.

- Good lateral quickness, only the really elite SGs (Tmac, Kobe, Wade, LeBron) will really test him.

- Doesn't ever gamble for steals.

Cons:

- Can be a little overaggressive at times, somewhat foul prone with good SGs. For a defender, though, being overaggressive is certainly better than being too timid.

- Not particularly long. Can really get at you on the ball, but because he's not especially lanky and because he's not a quick jumper, he doesn't really possess special ability to challenge jump shooters.

- Can get lazy on defense and may miss assignments (rotating, switching, etc.).

- He's a "good" defender, but not great. Doesn't bring the presence or smarts of Christie. Still, Christie's been in decline for at least two years and Mobley isn't that bad of a defender.

Offense:

Pros:

- Behind Peja, you could successfully argue that Mobley is the best shooter on the Kings now, and that's saying a lot. Mobley's always been a great shooter, from distance too (career 38% 3pt shooter). Thrives as a spot up shooter.

- Can create his own offense and even get to the line. Career 17 ppg scorer on 43%+ field goal percentage. 84% FT shooter when he does get to the line.

- Willing to take big shots and won't back down in crunch time.

Cons:

- Labeled as selfish, and that's not too inaccurate. Will overdribble or jack up a shot when the moment moves him. Not a terribly gifted passer.

- Turnover prone, not a capable NBA PG for the Kings' needs (title contenders). Will make incredibly stupid decisions sometimes. Not just bad passes, but stuff like dribbling the ball off his foot, things of that nature.

Final analysis; Kings gained youth, gained a lot of shooting, and gained a much bigger off the dribble threat. Kings lost a little defense, lost a lot of leadership and some team chemistry, and most of all lost the selfless nature and passing of Doug Christie. That said, Kings gained overall. Smart trade by Petrie overall. This trade will only turn bad if Mobley doesn't integrate himself seamlessly into the starting lineup and give up the rock accordingly. He definitely won't play team ball as well as Christie, but can he do an adequate job? Just have to wait and see.

Contractually speaking, Mobley is a FA after this year (player option essentially makes him a FA), and will likely walk after this season in search of a fat contract. Petrie doesn't want to pay him and shouldn't, because Mobley wants at least $7M-$8M per year. So in a way, Petrie pulled the trigger on this trade because he wanted to dump Christie's contract, which is a year longer than Mobley's. That's also why Orlando did the trade in the first place, they didn't want to overpay this summer to keep Mobley. They also want their future to include a Jameer Nelson-Steve Francis backcourt in some capacity. Plus Hedo can play SG if necessary and is young to do it for a long time.

So really, this was a salary dump/contract type of trade for both teams, talents aside.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think you missed one pro on offense:

His shooting immediately makes it much tougher for teams to double Pedja and leave Mobley wide open.

And I think you may be way off on the salary dump comment.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Are these moves being done in order to sign Peja back to a fat contract? Hmmm...

Mobely will walk after this season for sure. What does this do for the future of the team? Any guesses.

VF21 said:
I think you missed one pro on offense:

His shooting immediately makes it much tougher for teams to double Pedja and leave Mobley wide open.

And I think you may be way off on the salary dump comment.
Yeah, I think his shooting may open up everyone a little better because it's just one more threat teams have to deal with. Not sure about the salary dump from Orlando's side, but for us it may be part of the motivation. Since Mobley has a player option at the end of this year, he realistically may very well only be a King for 6 months. From that standpoint, we will hope he can bring us as much as possible this season (all the way to a championship??:) ) and free up salary cap room next year (assuming he doesn't exercise his option).

SacTownKid said:
Are these moves being done in order to sign Peja back to a fat contract? Hmmm...

Mobely will walk after this season for sure. What does this do for the future of the team? Any guesses.
And possibly $$$ for BJax as well? Only time will tell.

I think Mobely will walk as well, so I hope he learns quickly!

SacTownKid said:

That's part of it. Other part is that if Mobley opts out this summer, that frees up the Maloofs from having to pay $6M+. Petrie knows that Mobley was on the trading block in the first place because Orlando had talks with Mobley that led them to believe he was going to ask for a big contract. Which means that Petrie thought "Hey, I'm not just gaining talent by trading for Mobley, I might also be able to free up $6M for the Maloofs like they wanted me to".

Good trade for the Kings.

Entity

Hall of Famer
my guess it should light a fire under Mo Evans and Kevin Martin. If they really really show something the rest of the season that 2 spot could stay home next year.

love_them_kings said:
And possibly $$$ for BJax as well? Only time will tell.
Unfortunately for Kings fans, I have a feeling Bobby Jackson will not be a King after this season. Just a hunch based Bojax's two straight years of major time missed due to injuries and the fact that the Kings are looking to go younger and more athletic.

KA_2 said:
Unfortunately for Kings fans, I have a feeling Bobby Jackson will not be a King after this season. Just a hunce based on two straight years of major time missed due to injuries and the fact that they're looking to go younger and more athletic.
that is what I am thinking too. Especially since he wants to be a starter. but the Kings have A TEAM option which means the kings gets to choose whether he will stay or not...........I think.

I agree that Bobby may be gone after this season. If the Kings take the option he will be major league pissed. They may do it though. I think a trade will happen.

Whether it be in a Kings uniform or otherwise Bobby will get a nice contract.

Entity

Hall of Famer
I am guessing a sign and trade of bobby jackson. much like Indiana did with Miller. Sign Bobby to a 7 mil contract. and since Dougs contract is gone. you basically trade bobby for somebody worth 7 or 8 mil. and nothing is lost.

Even yet do you think Mobely was brought in to be packaged in a deal to get another guy? A lot of teams would want that salary dump.

Last edited:
SacTownKid said:
I agree that Bobby may be gone after this season. If the Kings take the option he will be major league pissed. They may do it though. I think a trade will happen.

Whether it be in a Kings uniform or otherwise Bobby will get a nice contract.
How bad is his injury? Perhaps the Kings will be doing him a favor by picking up his option. He will never be the same and won't get that huge contract he so longs.

Well, Cat's a pure scorer and hits big shots, which are elements we definitely need with Bobby out. How some of Doug's contributions are replaced, and I think I'm wondering almost more about the ballhandling than defense, will be the question.

Not sure what Goeff will do with Bobby, but I definetely think he will be in a different uniform next season, much like folks are talking about...sign and trade sort of thing. Not sure what Cat will be doing, if he flourises here this year, helps us in the playoffs, etc...he might want to stick around here. He's never really been on a contender before, with Houston or Orlando. But who knows, we have the option on Bobby for next year, this could get interesting...who knows, Geoff could even concievably pull off a deal for him THIS year.

C Brad Miller
PF Chris Webber
SF Pedja Stojakovic
SG Cuttino Mobley
PG Mike Bibby

C OTag
PF Songaila/ Michael Bradley(?)
SF Mo Evans/Barnes
SG Mo Evans/ Kevin Martin
PG Eddie House/ Bobby jackson

Sorry I needed to see how that actually looked. Wow, that seems like a lot of offense to me.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
KingKong said:
C Brad Miller
PF Chris Webber
SF Pedja Stojakovic
SG Cuttino Mobley
PG Mike Bibby

C OTag
PF Songaila/ Michael Bradley(?)
SF Mo Evans/Barnes
SG Mo Evans/ Kevin Martin
PG Eddie House/ Bobby jackson

Sorry I needed to see how that actually looked. Wow, that seems like a lot of offense to me.
Yes it does doesn't it. :)