Boogie to Boston?

Assuming Karl is fired it will mean that after three years and three head coaches, the GM finally gets to conduct a coaching search and hire who he wants.

I think it makes sense to give Cousins, Vlade and the new coach one season before blowing this thing apart completely.

The hard part for me is that giving that one season also likely requires signing Rondo to a big money FA deal and I'm not sure he'd be all that easy to move if the team does decide to rebuild.

But if we want to play this game (which is more fun than watching Kings games any more) I can take a look at what a Boston trade might result in. Let's say Boston ends up with a top 2 pick courtesy of Brooklyn's first rounder. Trading Cousins for Bradley, Sullinger, the Net's pick and one of Boston's other two first rounders (either their own or Dallas') would mean the Kings have a top 2 pick, a top 10 pick (their own) and another pick in the early 20's or so.

Rondo and the Kings would mutually part ways in this scenario (Rajon doesn't need to be a part of another rebuilding team and the Kings don't need to spend a ton of caproom on a nearly 30 year old PG), Gay would likely be dealt and at least one of McLemore and Belinelli would likely go as well. Let's say Belinelli goes for a future 2nd rounder. Then the roster is:

Collison
Bradley/McLemore
Gay/Casspi
Sullinger
Cauley-Stein/Koufos

With a top two pick the Kings would end up with one of Simmons or Ingram. With their own pick (depending on how poorly the Kings finish the season will likely be in the 7-9 range) the Kings will probably be looking at guys like Buddy Hield, Skal Labissiere or maybe Kris Dunn who should go higher but may drop because of all the lottery teams with PGs. The later pick would be a crapshoot. I think Wade Baldwin (who I like) will move up draft boards so the guys I like later in this draft are Caris Levert (who is slotted 24-32 or so in most mocks but should be higher IMO) and Ivica Zubac, the young center.

Let's say the Kings end up with Ingram, Dunn and Levert, they resign Curry and Acy, do a sign and trade of Rudy for Ryan Anderson, sign a free agent or two and roll the ball out next season

Collison/Dunn/Curry
Bradley/McLemore/Levert
Casspi/Ingram/FA
Sullinger/Anderson/Acy
Cauley-Stein/Koufos/FA

That roster would probably lose a lot of games next season. The hope would be that Dunn and Ingram (or Simmons and Labissiere etc) would develop enough to make the Kings winners again. But it's a big gamble. I don't see any sure things in this year's draft. Simmons is more a poor man's Magic Johnson than LeBron James-lite but unless he fixes his shot he's not going to be a great player. Ingram doesn't do any one spectacularly and his success will also hinge on getting bigger and stronger and finishing better at the rim.

If you want to roll the dice by dealing Cousins to start a full rebuild, that's the level of roster you'd be left with. In fact, I think it's a really optimistic view of what the Kings could have after trading Cousins.

I understand we're all tired of watching a terrible Kings team lose night after night, but dealing Cousins for picks is at least a big a gamble as trying to retool around him.
The only reason we'd visit dealing Cousins this off-season is we can pretty much dictate the asking price with 2 years left on his deal. And dealing with some of the Boston assets, we'd have a giant head-start on our rebuild. Say you get Crowder, Bradley and the BK pick or some iteration of that. That leaves us with:

WCS
Bradley
Crowder
2 top 10 picks

as quality young talent locked up long-term under 25. I'd imagine we'd shop around Rudy as well and could likely get a pretty solid young piece in return.

I think Cousins value significantly drops off when he's an expiring contract as teams won't have the confidence they can resign him. We'd certainly get a lot less in return and I think the team pool would be limited to who we could trade him too. Which is why I think THIS is the off-season we need to make the decision of moving on, or going down with the ship. And the whole reason for bringing this up in the first place is I don't see how we're going to do the quick turnaround with Boogie and convince him to stay here past 2018.

The only reason we'd visit dealing Cousins this off-season is we can pretty much dictate the asking price with 2 years left on his deal. And dealing with some of the Boston assets, we'd have a giant head-start on our rebuild. Say you get Crowder, Bradley and the BK pick or some iteration of that. That leaves us with:

WCS
Bradley
Crowder
2 top 10 picks

as quality young talent locked up long-term under 25. I'd imagine we'd shop around Rudy as well and could likely get a pretty solid young piece in return.

I think Cousins value significantly drops off when he's an expiring contract as teams won't have the confidence they can resign him. We'd certainly get a lot less in return and I think the team pool would be limited to who we could trade him too. Which is why I think THIS is the off-season we need to make the decision of moving on, or going down with the ship. And the whole reason for bringing this up in the first place is I don't see how we're going to do the quick turnaround with Boogie and convince him to stay here past 2018.
I agreed with everything till here. If we make the playoffs next 2 years DMC ain't leaving. And we are closer to the playoffs than we look.

Also you're right we arnt desperate to trade him I've seen people throw up ludacris offers. If Boston wants him to also get KD to go there Crowder/Beverly will be in a sac uniform plus the nets pick

if we blew it up we still get to swap picks with philly bc of the contract dump trade. i don't see how we don't go all in after all the moves made so far.

I think they try to "re-tool" once more this summer with a new coach and a couple new pieces, but if it's the trade deadline in February 2017 and it's the same thing again, I think that's when you possibly look to make a move, knowing that Cousins with 1.5 years left would fetch better value than summer 2017 with just a single season left. Admittedly, that's a small sample, and it would be pretty unusual to make such a major move midseason. But I have a hard time seeing them change gears with Cousins as they are going into the new arena, unless there are more instances like Wednesday.

You don't do this trade. But if someone, say Ainge calls you, ask for your pick of three players on his team and the first pick in the draft (not just a first, The first pick).

Don't like that? How is the weather in Boston this time of year Danny?

I agreed with everything till here. If we make the playoffs next 2 years DMC ain't leaving. And we are closer to the playoffs than we look.

Also you're right we arnt desperate to trade him I've seen people throw up ludacris offers. If Boston wants him to also get KD to go there Crowder/Beverly will be in a sac uniform plus the nets pick
Utah will be better next year with Exum back, new pick plus some free agents, also they have been plagued with injuries, Hood will tak another leap.

Minnesota have a two future top 20 players and could take a huge leap next season.

Denver has built a young nucleus with a hungry coach and they will have three first round picks coming in as well.

New Orleans you have to feel will bounce back to perhaps where they were last season.

Lakers are starting to show some growth lately and could add another top lottery talent, plus they will have tons of cap space with Kobe off the books.

Phoenix has found a stud in Booker, seriously that kid will be good, elite shooter who is showing good handling and playmaking ability, could end up being biggest steal of draft, plus they have Knight and Bledsoe will be back, Len is growing, plus they will add another lottery talent.

Only teams likely to drop out are Dallas and Memphis, our chance to make the playoffs was this year. West wil be brutal from top to bottom next season.

K

KingMilz

Utah will be better next year with Exum back, new pick plus some free agents, also they have been plagued with injuries, Hood will tak another leap.

Minnesota have a two future top 20 players and could take a huge leap next season.

Denver has built a young nucleus with a hungry coach and they will have three first round picks coming in as well.

New Orleans you have to feel will bounce back to perhaps where they were last season.

Lakers are starting to show some growth lately and could add another top lottery talent, plus they will have tons of cap space with Kobe off the books.

Phoenix has found a stud in Booker, seriously that kid will be good, elite shooter who is showing good handling and playmaking ability, could end up being biggest steal of draft, plus they have Knight and Bledsoe will be back, Len is growing, plus they will add another lottery talent.

Only teams likely to drop out are Dallas and Memphis, our chance to make the playoffs was this year. West wil be brutal from top to bottom next season.
I love WCS but we could very well end up looking at Booker/Turner the same way we look at Lillard/Thompson/Drummond/Lenoard.

I love WCS but we could very well end up looking at Booker/Turner the same way we look at Lillard/Thompson/Drummond/Lenoard.
I agree with you. At the time of the pick, I was ok with it...but I felt like the Kings really sold themselves short. WCS was already 21 with a relatively good floor, but lower ceiling. It felt like we drafted him purely based on the reason that he was NBA ready.

We passed up on guys with much higher potentials: Mudiay, Turner, Winslow, Johnson, Booker, and Payne. (All of those guys are younger, Booker 3 years younger)

If any one of those guys end up breaking out into an AS player or +, it'll be another one of those years where the Kings screwed themselves over..yet again.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I agree with you. At the time of the pick, I was ok with it...but I felt like the Kings really sold themselves short. WCS was already 21 with a relatively good floor, but lower ceiling. It felt like we drafted him purely based on the reason that he was NBA ready.

We passed up on guys with much higher potentials: Mudiay, Turner, Winslow, Johnson, Booker, and Payne. (All of those guys are younger, Booker 3 years younger)

If any one of those guys end up breaking out into an AS player or +, it'll be another one of those years where the Kings screwed themselves over..yet again.
I will leap into hyperbole and say it is likely WCS will be the best if not top 5 defensive players in perpetuity. That's worth something. Also, he has NEVER had a chance to play offense. He took 25 jump shots in three years of college. He already is showing some signs of a jump shot. He also has some spin move that seems to be another offensive move. As I believe shooting is absolutely learnable, he has years to work on it. Let's see what he is like in 5 years and we may have a very adequate if not good offensive player. That's all we need from him. That's all any team needs from him on the offensive end.

If given minutes now, he'll score 10 pts. Maybe more depending on the matchups.

We drafted him because he was the perfect partner to Boogie or soon would be. Boogie takes the shots and Willie takes the swats. Boogie can't do it all although some of his "fans" expect it.

I will leap into hyperbole and say it is likely WCS will be the best if not top 5 defensive players in perpetuity. That's worth something. Also, he has NEVER had a chance to play offense. He took 25 jump shots in three years of college. He already is showing some signs of a jump shot. He also has some spin move that seems to be another offensive move. As I believe shooting is absolutely learnable, he has years to work on it. Let's see what he is like in 5 years and we may have a very adequate if not good offensive player. That's all we need from him. That's all any team needs from him on the offensive end.

If given minutes now, he'll score 10 pts. Maybe more depending on the matchups.

We drafted him because he was the perfect partner to Boogie or soon would be. Boogie takes the shots and Willie takes the swats. Boogie can't do it all although some of his "fans" expect it.
I'd be fine if WCS turns into a top 5 defensive player. However, if any of those guys drafted after him become franchise-type players...it'll be a bit sad. I just feel like the Kings sold extremely low on their 6th overall pick. You had guys available right there with much higher ceilings.

So when the Kings draft, do they draft BPA or for need? Seems like WCS was more of a need pick. I didn't believe that a 26-28 win team should be drafting for need when they're so dysfunctional and lack talent.

I was a huge fan of Porzingis, and I remember Vlade basically shot down any hope of drafting Porzingis because he was too raw. He interviewed with Crandell, and he said Porzingis wasn't ready to play any meaningful NBA minutes. Crandell implicitly said he didn't think Vlade was trying to throw smoke. What we've seen from Vlade is that he's straightforward whether good or bad.

His win-now philosophy might've been the reason why we passed up on those 5-6 guys too. WCS was obviously the most NBA ready out of all of them, even though he has the lowest ceiling.

I really hope Vlade doesn't repeat the same mistake in this draft.

Would you really rather draft someone who has the ceiling of Tyson Chandler/Taj Gibson over someone who has the ceiling of Chris Bosh?

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I honestly don't know what you mean by saying WCS has the lowest ceiling. I presume you mean he will never have an offense as there is really not much further he can go on defense.

I honestly don't know what you mean by saying WCS has the lowest ceiling. I presume you mean he will never have an offense as there is really not much further he can go on defense.
He has the lowest ceiling out of Myles Turner, Stanley Johnson, Justise Winslow, Devin Booker, and Emmanuel Mudiay.

He's 2 years older than all of those players, except Booker. He's 3 years older than Booker.

I mean his ceiling is very low on offense. Would you rather have the best offensive player or the best defensive player? Stephen Curry or Tony Allen? Potential comes from both ends, but mainly offense.

You can be the best defensive player in the NBA with limited offense, but only be a role player. Or, you can be the best offensive player in the NBA with limited defense, but be a superstar.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd be fine if WCS turns into a top 5 defensive player. However, if any of those guys drafted after him become franchise-type players...it'll be a bit sad. I just feel like the Kings sold extremely low on their 6th overall pick. You had guys available right there with much higher ceilings.

So when the Kings draft, do they draft BPA or for need? Seems like WCS was more of a need pick. I didn't believe that a 26-28 win team should be drafting for need when they're so dysfunctional and lack talent.

I was a huge fan of Porzingis, and I remember Vlade basically shot down any hope of drafting Porzingis because he was too raw. He interviewed with Crandell, and he said Porzingis wasn't ready to play any meaningful NBA minutes. Crandell implicitly said he didn't think Vlade was trying to throw smoke. What we've seen from Vlade is that he's straightforward whether good or bad.

His win-now philosophy might've been the reason why we passed up on those 5-6 guys too. WCS was obviously the most NBA ready out of all of them, even though he has the lowest ceiling.

I really hope Vlade doesn't repeat the same mistake in this draft.

Would you really rather draft someone who has the ceiling of Tyson Chandler/Taj Gibson over someone who has the ceiling of Chris Bosh?
Seeing as how Porzingis went #4 I'm not sure how that matters. The Kings would have had to trade a considerable asset or assets to get up to #4.

The only guy who I think might end up in that "boy I wish the Kings had drafted player X" instead is maybe Turner.

Cauley-Stein was the best pick to pair with Cousins. And while I don't see him being an all-star I have definitely seen some flashes of him having solid offensive potential. Not of the 20 ppg scorer variety but definitely being able to hit midrange jumpers and have a few takes to the hoop that catch opponents by surprise.

Devin Booker was strictly viewed as a spot shooter even by the biggest experts. I dont think anyone expected him to start looking like a SG version of Curry. Not saying thats what he is or will be, but in the absolute best case scenario that is in play.....

Seeing as how Porzingis went #4 I'm not sure how that matters. The Kings would have had to trade a considerable asset or assets to get up to #4.

The only guy who I think might end up in that "boy I wish the Kings had drafted player X" instead is maybe Turner.

Cauley-Stein was the best pick to pair with Cousins. And while I don't see him being an all-star I have definitely seen some flashes of him having solid offensive potential. Not of the 20 ppg scorer variety but definitely being able to hit midrange jumpers and have a few takes to the hoop that catch opponents by surprise.
Now I think WCS was a solid pick, but I can't understand why so many people think he's an ideal pair with Cousins...

I think there is a pretty wide consensus around here that Cousins is a good defender and especially a good rim protector- so why would a defensive big that can't stretch the floor and a lot of his value comes from rim protection be an ideal fit next to him?
Wouldn't a guy that can stretch the floor and won't get killed on defense by 4's is the perfect guy to put with a scoring big that can protect the rim?

Devin Booker was strictly viewed as a spot shooter even by the biggest experts. I dont think anyone expected him to start looking like a SG version of Curry. Not saying thats what he is or will be, but in the absolute best case scenario that is in play.....
That's why that crap is so annoying booker wasn't even the #1 SG so why would you take him over Hezonja. Turner too dude was a late lottery who wasn't supposed to be ready

You hope, that your GM and scouting staff know more, than the usual NBA fan and draftexpress guy.
It's only one season into the young careers of the 2015 draft class, so things can change quickly.
But right now Turner sure looks appealing. He hasn't shown flashes of a jumpshot - he has shown a jumpshot. He has proven, that he is a good offensive player. And despite his strange running motion he plays a lot of PF for the Pacers and does a decent job stepping out on stretch 4's and guarding the pick&roll.
But unlike WCS he plays for an organisation, that actually knows, what they are doing. SO after all any comparison is unfair to this point.
We drafted Willie. Now we need to stick to him and help him to get better.

Now I think WCS was a solid pick, but I can't understand why so many people think he's an ideal pair with Cousins...

I think there is a pretty wide consensus around here that Cousins is a good defender and especially a good rim protector- so why would a defensive big that can't stretch the floor and a lot of his value comes from rim protection be an ideal fit next to him?
Wouldn't a guy that can stretch the floor and won't get killed on defense by 4's is the perfect guy to put with a scoring big that can protect the rim?
I agree that he's not an "ideal" fit, but he is a great fit. An ideal fit would be someone with Cauley-Stein's size, length, athleticism, pick & roll defense, rim protection, ability to guard perimeter players, ability to guard post players, & rebounding ability while also having an adequate post game and 3pt shot. As you can see, Cauley-Stein meets a lot of the prerequisites.

There are some that value the shooting aspect more than the defensive ability which is where people argue. Both have valid points, but I think the ability to defend the wide array of PFs the NBA has today as well as help Cousins protect the paint are more important attributes. I'd rather have someone who can help Cousins stay out of foul trouble.

I agree that he's not an "ideal" fit, but he is a great fit. An ideal fit would be someone with Cauley-Stein's size, length, athleticism, pick & roll defense, rim protection, ability to guard perimeter players, ability to guard post players, & rebounding ability while also having an adequate post game and 3pt shot. As you can see, Cauley-Stein meets a lot of the prerequisites.

There are some that value the shooting aspect more than the defensive ability which is where people argue. Both have valid points, but I think the ability to defend the wide array of PFs the NBA has today as well as help Cousins protect the paint are more important attributes. I'd rather have someone who can help Cousins stay out of foul trouble.
I didn't meant that he is not ideal since he is not the ideal player.
I meant that if you think Cousins is a good rim protector and defender, why would you feel like what you'll need is a defensive specialist which a lot of his value comes from protecting the rim (which Cousins is better at)?
If you have a guy you want to score near the basket, giving him space should be a priority.

I don't see why he is such a great fit next to Cousins- wouldn't a guy that can defend most PF's and stretch the floor be a better fit?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I didn't meant that he is not ideal since he is not the ideal player.
I meant that if you think Cousins is a good rim protector and defender, why would you feel like what you'll need is a defensive specialist which a lot of his value comes from protecting the rim (which Cousins is better at)?
If you have a guy you want to score near the basket, giving him space should be a priority.

I don't see why he is such a great fit next to Cousins- wouldn't a guy that can defend most PF's and stretch the floor be a better fit?
Ideal is probably putting it strongly.

But if I were making a list of what qualities I'd want in a perfect pairing with Cousins it would look something like this:

• Great defender who can guard bigs (including stepping out on small ball/stretch 4's) and improve the team's terrible P&R defense
  • Weakside shot blocker who can rotate quickly and help defend the paint
  • Low usage offensive player who can be effective without plays run for him and doesn't need the ball in his hands
  • Athletic guy who can run the floor and finish fast breaks (ideally Cousins rebounds, throws the deep outlet and this guy can get down and finish)
  • Decent to good rebounder who is willing and able to crash the offensive boards
  • Good shooter who can consistently hit jumpers from 15 or 18 feet and ideally out to three point range
  • Solid passer who knows where to go with the ball, makes good, quick decisions (either shoot/attack or pass) and doesn't turn it over
  • Enforcer type ala Charles Oakley, the Davis brothers, Rick Mahorn, Rodman etc

WCS provides the first four and is a decent rebounder who is better on the offensive glass, but not the put back monster I'd love to see. He's not a good or consistent shooter and he doesn't have range out to three though his mechanics look good and I think he'll become a solid jump shooter though I don't know what his range will end up being. He's not a great passer and still has to work on his decision making but on the upside he DOES move the ball and very rarely turns it over (1 per 36) less than even the veteran he's often compared to in Tyson Chandler. He's definitely not an enforcer and he won't be. He doesn't have the build/muscle or the attitude. He isn't soft but he's just not ever going to be that type of dude.

So Cauley-Stein isn't an ideal fit but he's a good fit now and I can squint and see him getting very close to ideal down the road. Porzingis is a much better shooter and shotblocker but he's not as laterally quick on the defensive end and needs the ball a lot more to be effective. Still, he's a tantalizing package of shooting and length/defense which is why I said during the draft that on paper he could be perfect next to Cuz. But I never thought he'd be as good as he is so quickly.

If Cousins stays I think Cauley-Stein was a very good pick and I'm perfectly fine with it. If Cousins goes? Well then there might be some regret over who was drafted vs who was still on the board.

No he wasn't. At Kentucky, he was able to be a ball handler too. No one ever said he was just going to be a spot up shooter... if he was, why the heck would anyone Jason Kapono 11th overall? If you watched him at Kentucky, he showed way more than a spot up shooter.

I'm relating his comments about Porzingis to his potential mindset during the draft. He implicitly implied he wouldn't draft Zingers because he was too raw. Could that have been the reason for him to pass up on the other guys?

You're a 28?W team and you decide to draft a NBA role player with your 6th overall pick. That doesn't make sense to me. Does this mean Vlade was drafting for immediate need? Is this the wrong approach?

That's why that poopoo is so annoying booker wasn't even the #1 SG so why would you take him over Hezonja. Turner too dude was a late lottery who wasn't supposed to be ready
WCS wasn't even the #1 PF. Hezonja was drafted before the Kings.

At the very least, Turner could've came into the NBA as a big who gives you 15mins/g while providing very solid defense and rim protection with nice offense. That's at the very least if you give him 15mpg. His ceiling is extremely high.

If Cousins stays I think Cauley-Stein was a very good pick and I'm perfectly fine with it. If Cousins goes? Well then there might be some regret over who was drafted vs who was still on the board.
WCS was drafted to compliment Cuz on defense... if Cuz is gone.... we essentially have a much much much better Kenneth Faried/Birdman. However, that's going to sting if the guys drafted after him become special players.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
No we won't they can be hall of famer player and it won't matter they wernt in the discussion to be picked.
Hell yes they were. I listed both of them as players I wanted more than Cauley-Stein. I'm happy with Cauley-Stein, but don't try to back out of this now like Devin Booker and Myles Turner came out of nowhere. In fact, I got called out as an idiot at the time for saying Devin Booker would have been a better pick.

You can't really make the determination of who will be the better player after a rookie season. You can still speculate, but it's far from proven. Case in point....Evans & Curry

People need to cool it on Turner and booker. Booker right now is getting Unlimited usage and is essentially the main offensive option with Alex len and now knight that he's back. He's been good, but he's getting all the minutes and opportunity to show it.

Turner had fallen off too after that super good 2 weeks earlier this season. Looks like a good player, but certainly not one I'm ready to call a franchise center piece.

The 2 guys in this draft who look like future stars are porzingis and towns, who we didn't have the opportunity to draft.

We knew this going into drafting wcs. He's not going to fill up a pretty box score. He's a guy you have to watch and study the different ways he changes a game. And he's looked really impressive this season in the games and stretches that he's gotten extended run. Just hasn't happened yet.

Nothing about turner, stan, Winslow, booker and mudiay play this season leads me to believe we made the wrong pick. They all look like they're going to be very good players, but still not anymore effective than wcs.

K

KingMilz

People need to cool it on Turner and booker. Booker right now is getting Unlimited usage and is essentially the main offensive option with Alex len and now knight that he's back. He's been good, but he's getting all the minutes and opportunity to show it.

Turner had fallen off too after that super good 2 weeks earlier this season. Looks like a good player, but certainly not one I'm ready to call a franchise center piece.

The 2 guys in this draft who look like future stars are porzingis and towns, who we didn't have the opportunity to draft.

We knew this going into drafting wcs. He's not going to fill up a pretty box score. He's a guy you have to watch and study the different ways he changes a game. And he's looked really impressive this season in the games and stretches that he's gotten extended run. Just hasn't happened yet.

Nothing about turner, stan, Winslow, booker and mudiay play this season leads me to believe we made the wrong pick. They all look like they're going to be very good players, but still not anymore effective than wcs.
You see the immense talent in both and they are both like 19, I see talent in WCS (was not a bad pick at all) but I don't see the talent in him I see in the other guys. What Booker has been doing in downright crazy regardless if he's a #1 option. When your a bad team you don't draft for fit imo you draft for highest potential.