Bobby Brown pg of future?

I've watched every kings game this season with the intention of paying very close attention of how our rookies perform in all facets. That includes game situations, match ups, defensive and offensive instincts, etc.
For me, the most encouraging and surprising success of this season so far is the development of Bobby Brown and how he's played above and beyond anyone's expectations.
It was clear from day 1 that the kid can shoot (and how), but his ability to get where he wants to on the floor, as well as his offensive awareness and knowing how to find guys in the half court as well as the fast break, has truly been remarkable, considering the fact that none of us knew who the heck this guy was about 2 months ago.
He is always surveying the floor, he knows how to create space and when to drive, when to kick it, when to slow it down and change pace. He's a above average defender who really gets after it, especially at home, and has shown the ability to step in the passing lane and read the passer's intentions fairly well.
I'm not saying he's the next Stockton. Heck, I'm not saying he's even the next Claxton. But what I am saying is that Bobby Brown can flat out ball, and Petire once again showed his incredible eye for talent by nabbing the guy right after summer league, seeing a kid with a lot of upside with not much cost.
21p-7a-2s against a good Laker defense was very impressive, and he was a big reason why we were in the game as late as we were, as Theus took note and kept Beno on the pine, even though he wasn't playing that poorly.
Bobby Brown definitely has the potential to be a solid point guard in this league. His development and overall talent, along with Hawes and Thompson, have given me real excitement for the future of this club, so I tip my hat to the kid from L.A. who worked his a** off in Germany to make it this far. Props to you, and thanks for giving me another great reason to be optimistic about the future of this once great franchise.

Last edited:
Great offensive play, as he was billed for with his rep at CSUF and especially after he tore up summer leagues this year. Seems like he's found a comfort zone--his passes are pretty solid as well, definitely has some court vision. As for his defense, I want to see more games first to make a judgment on that, as even though he seems to have the quickness to be a ballhawk he realy seems quite inconsistent to poor in this area especially against quicker guards, and he simply doesn't have the height or weight to match up against the 6'3"+ 200+ lb players in this league.Also cut down on turnovers would be a plus, at times it seems like he does too much.

I don't think that's fair at this point, Brick. It's too early to say what he could be. I'm merely saying that it appears he has the tools to be a very solid point guard in this league. Louis Williams as a ceiling I don't think is fair.

I think someone should collect all the sour grapes predictions from Brick and Piksi, et al so that we can have a steady stream of "I told you so" threads when they're wrong.... except for with Douby... and Sheldon... and Mikki... etc.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
I think someone should collect all the sour grapes predictions from Brick and Piksi, et al so that we can have a steady stream of "I told you so" threads when they're wrong.... except for with Douby... and Sheldon... and Mikki... etc.

Skinnner!!!

Couldn't you just enjoy being right in your rightness as opposed to rubbing your rightness in other's wrongness? Besides, there's no guarantee that your current rightness will not turn to wrongness in the future...then what?

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

If I had been doing that with all the pie in the sky fanboy orgasms on here over the years we'd have to open up a separate forum.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I'd really like to see him play 30+ minutes a game for the rest of the season. He definitely has more potential than Beno. He's quicker, faster, a better shooter, and from what I can tell he can be a pretty good to good passer. It's hard to tell just how good he can be because he's not close to his prime. At the best, he could be a very good starter. At the worst, he could be an excellent pg coming off the bench. What I really want to see from him this year is getting better on defense. He has a lot of quickness, and he should be a much better defender than he is. This is where I look to Theus and his staff to show me the defense.

Yes this was a great game for him, but he's shown glimps of greatness all along. First and formost, he wasn't a good PG coming out of college. HE made himself one during his ONE year in Europe. This to me shows the potential to get much better. He'll alway be a shooter, improved defense and less turnovers and he passes up Beno. Then it's on to star PG.

Bobby Brown really does strike as a backup of sorts--not a bad thing. A sparkplug. He's a combo guard born and bred, with more emphasis on the shooting aspect of the game although with more touches he's capable of racking assists through the flow of the game. He'll probably never be a pure floor general, but hey, as long as he can become our new BJax (with hopefully BJax mentoring him there) I'll be fine with that. You have to keep in mind he's already 24 years old, and his style of game will probably not undergo a radical change at this stage.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
this thread didnt happen to arrive after he finally gets a big game did it?
What if it did? What difference would it make?

People are starting to notice Bobby Brown because he's doing things that make you sit up and take notice. How exactly is that a bad thing?

People start threads on message boards to talk about what they're seeing and how they're reacting to what they've seen. It's not about who might have mentioned him first. If that were the criteria upon which a thread's value was assessed, LarryLegend - who has, at one time or another, pretty much mentioned every single player in college and the NBA - would be pure gold.

(No offense, Larry... ;))

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Its because its the standard shortsighted overreaction. Its predictable, problematic, and always vehement. After one preseason game it was Hawes needs to go and Donte Greene needs to be the goto guy. Its always silly, and the thread is never started before the big game -- always in the rush afterwards. I've seen Douby annointed, Darius Songaila, Mikki Moore, even Kenny Thomas (remember his triple double). Much fussing over nothing.

Bobby Brown has the game of a backup. Fast, speedy, shoot first, its classic backup PG/change of pace stuff. Starters need to be able to slow it down, play in control, halfcourt and pick and roll ball, make their teammates better, its a whole different breed. If he can stay consistent he could be a good change of pace guy (he'll never be Bobby because he lacks the physicality) for years in the league. Nothing I have said there is exactly news, and if we have found a good backup change of pace PG that's still a minor coup. But that's not enough when one of these predictable threads comes around. Its always the guy has to be a starter, or a star, and damn the naysayers for pointing out the unliklihood of that.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Its because its the standard shortsighted overreaction. Its predictable, problematic, and always vehement. After one preseason game it was Hawes needs to go and Donte Greene needs to be the goto guy. Its always silly, and the thread is never started before the big game -- always in the rush afterwards. I've seen Douby annointed, Darius Songaila, Mikki Moore, even Kenny Thomas (remember his triple double). Much fussing over nothing.
I guess I'm just mellowing in my old age. I don't care if people want to be excited about Bobby Brown. I view it as one helluva improvement over all the angst and drama we've had to deal with recently.

And I didn't see anything too vehement about the OP. Why again is it so wrong to find something to be excited about? It's not like it's going to actually cost anything...except a bit of bandwidth.

You may view it as the "standard shortsighted overreaction" but is that the only possible interpretation? I guess I'm still mystified why it's just not acceptable to get excited about a player exceeding expectations.

If this were some kind of sports wiki-pedia then maybe everything would have to be judged as to correctness, etc. but if that were the case, pretty much every single sports message board in cyberspace would be out of business.

This is, of course, assuming you were replying to my response to tyrant. I stand by those comments. I think his response was fly-by semi-trolling, since he didn't/wouldn't/couldn't elaborate.

I don't mean to be lecturing or anything, BTW. I'm just very happy to see people excited about the team again.

:)

Last edited:

Entity

Hall of Famer
I will admit to thinking Justin Williams was the next Wilt. LOL. Anyway Bobby has looked good in the last 4 or 5 games. Its not just his scoring outburst last night that had me noticing. He has had 7 ast in 2 games now off the bench and seems to be the only consistent scorer from the outside other than our injured guys. I'd like that he is taking it to the basket more now than preseason and early season. he has obviously been coached pretty good since summer league on sharing and having more control.