Bee: The team's supporters stand by their coach

http://www.sacbee.com/351/story/43835.html

The team's supporters stand by their coach

Kings' fans react

By Gamaliel Ortiz - Special To The Bee

Last Updated 1:23 am PDT Sunday, October 22, 2006
Story appeared in SPORTS section, Page C10

On the afternoon he was introduced as the Kings' head coach in early June, Eric Musselman shook hands and embraced his new city at a meet-and-greet at Arden Fair Mall where fans showed their support.

Nearly five months later, as news of Musselman's arrest on suspicion of drunken driving traveled through the region, most Kings fans said their support hasn't wavered.

Mark Reyes, a cashier at Sac Fever at Arden Fair Mall said one reason Musselman was hired by the Kings was because of his ability to be a positive force in the community.

"I don't think it changes the community perception, as long as he does his job right. His personal life shouldn't affect anything else," Reyes said. "He's a regular guy."

Joel Garcia, who works at Champs Sports, was surprised by the news.
"I think it's kind of funny, but everybody makes mistakes," he said. "He'll do good, he'll be all right."

Gary Sharpe, who was resting while shopping at the mall, said the incident was disappointing but that Musselman has suffered enough.
"I feel bad for him," he said. "Being in the public eye, he's under more scrutiny than you and I. He's embarrassed enough. Let's move on."

Like many fans, Bradley Supebedia, an employee at the Raider Image, still maintains that Musselman was an exceptional hire despite Saturday morning's arrest.
"It's terrible -- he's supposed to be the leader of the team -- but we'll let him pass, as long as he gets wins," Supebedia joked.

Todd Reid, a Kings fan who was at a midtown bar and grill where the team's games are frequently shown, said Musselman made a poor example.
"I know he's hardcore, he's a gym rat and he loves the game, but to me it's more disheartening what he did," Reid said.

Ray Johnson, a Kings fan, said the incident was minor.
"So long as he doesn't get a string of them," he said. "He's a good coach."

Rick Schoonover said he'd be vexed if the coach was indeed intoxicated.
"If he was seriously drunk and was putting people in jeopardy, yeah, something should be done," he said.

On Kingsfans.com, "Kingsgurl" let her feelings be known.
"Take the limo next time. Or call a cab, or make (rookie forward Louis) Amundson drive. He looks too young to drink."

Misty Moyse from the national headquarters for Mothers Against Drunk Drivers in Dallas says 1.4 million drunken-driving arrests are made nationally each year.
And when a public official or celebrity is arrested, it brings the issue of drunken driving to light.
"It reminds the public how prevalent drunk driving is," said Moyse in a telephone interview. "It's very disappointing anytime someone is arrested on drunk driving. We're just glad nobody was hurt or injured."
" ... What we ask people to do is if they're going to drink alcohol, plan ahead and designate a driver. It's really pretty simple."

Misty Moyse from the national headquarters for Mothers Against Drunk Drivers in Dallas says 1.4 million drunken-driving arrests are made nationally each year.

M.A.D.D is HQ'd in Dallas now.... Unbelievable considering it was started here in 1983.

KG and Vf. Are you too having a competition to see who gets their name in the paper more?;)

Last edited by a moderator:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
On Kingsfans.com, "Kingsgurl" let her feelings be known.
"Take the limo next time. Or call a cab, or make (rookie forward Louis) Amundson drive. He looks too young to drink."
Nice quote, KG!

slug - No. I think I'm still ahead. I'm just a bit jealous, though. That's a GREAT quote!

:D