Artest + KT & SAR for Zach Randolph & Malik Rose

Exec: Knicks tryind to deal Curry, Randolph

New York Daily News
February 12, 2008 - 5:33 am

Several league executives who have spoken to the Knicks in recent days have confirmed to the New York Daily News that Eddy Curry and Zach Randolph are definitely up for trade.

According to columnist Mitch Lawrence, it is unclear what Isiah Thomas is asking for in return.

"The problem is that Zach still is seen as the Zach Randolph from Portland - he's got baggage - and people wonder if this is it for Eddy," said one executive. "And, they've got some rough contracts."

Curry has struggled for much of the season.

"The question is whether he's regressed or, is this it, he's not getting any better?" said the executive. "You have to remember, when Eddy came out of Chicago, he was regarded as someone who did not like to work and who did not like basketball. So do you blame Zach's presence, or do you say, Eddy doesn't have the upside the Knicks thought he had? In either case, the experiment with Zach has not worked."

The Knicks are hoping to hold onto David Lee, Nate Robinson and Jamal Crawford in any trade.

-----------------------------------------

Basically, the Knicks trade their baggage (z.randoplh) for our baggage (artest), they also take our salaries (KT/SAR) and we take back their salary (z.randoplh - however with next year's expiring salary of malik rose), in the end, they got a starting SF who'd resign in NY and we have a starting PF (albeit a highly overpriced one, still u have KT & SAR out), ron will anyway be asking for a +10Million salary as per his agent's recent declarations..

Team Outlook:

J.Salmons/F.Garcia/D.Jones
Z.Randolph/M.Moore
B.Miller/S.Hawes/J.Williams
M.Bibby/B.Udrih
K.Martin/Q.Douby

Last edited:
Not too hot on Randolph, but it looks like this deal would be the best I've heard in a while. It definitely balances out the roster as far as positions are concerned.

Artest/Thomas for Randolph/Rose doesnt work.

Using Curry for Randolph would work. We do need a low post presence but Curry is pretty iffy. Doesn't really do anything but score in the low post and we just drafter Spencer to be our guy who doesn't do anything but score in the low post. It's not terrible in principle since Artest and Rose's contracts go away after the season and you're getting rid of Kenny Thomas. Curry's contract runs a season longer than Thomas's though which makes it a gamble.

Curry is still young and is a nice big body which we need... and will need for as long as we remain in the West. He really has done little while in New York to shake his rep that he isn't a basketball guy.

I think we'd need more from the Knicks to make it work... probly a pick would do it for me.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Ugh...I want absolutely nothing to do with Curry...The guy is abysmal in everything we need.

Randolph on the other hand...I know he can put up his 20/10 line, but is he a player a team can win with? He didn't win in Portland...He can't win in New York...Is that ever going to change?

If we could get...

Randolph and Fred Jones (Expiring) for Artest and Kenny Thomas I think I would take the chance.

Bibby/Beno
Martin/Garcia
Salmons/Garcia
Randolph/Mikki
Miller/Hawes/Williams

That actually intrigues me a little bit.

I was thinking can Zach's baggage be any worse than Ron's.. and then I found this..

Trouble Has Way Of Finding Randolph. Portland Tribune. 02-12-08
By Kerry Eggers

Zach Randolph never has been one to turn down the opportunity for a good time, especially in Portland.

So it’s not surprising the New York Knick forward allegedly rented the second floor of the Greek Cusina in downtown Portland for a party Jan. 31 – the night before the Knicks faced the Trail Blazers.

Nor is it surprising that Randolph was at the center of an incident involving more than 100 people that spilled out from the nightclub to the street.

Only two names were mentioned in the police report – Randolph and bouncer Christopher Oss, who made the call to police.

The call to police from Oss said he was “hearing threats about guns; however, none were seen.” The bouncer hung up on dispatch because he had to break up a fight inside the club.

When police arrived at 2:28 a.m., “I saw over 100 people on the sidewalk in front of the location, and others coming out of the business, and they were highly agitated and yelling,” officer D.W. Shaw said in his report. “With the assistance of other officers, we were able to disperse the crowd.”

Oss told Shaw that “this was a party put on by Randolph, and at one point Randolph was involved in an argument on the second floor of the Greek Cusina.” As a result, “a large fight involving 50-plus people broke out on the second floor.”

The report said no one made claims of being injured or wanted to be reported as the victim of a crime. There evidently were no arrests.

Randolph, who played for the Blazers from 2001-07 and still has a home in West Linn, arrived at the Rose Garden at 6:30 the next night – a half-hour after New York players were supposed to be on hand.

Two representatives of Greek Cusina, while acknowledging Randolph was involved in an incident there that night, declined comment on the disturbance. One said no Blazer players were at the party.

Jonathan Supranowitz, the Knicks’ vice president of public relations, offers this account after discussing the matter with Randolph: “Zach confirmed he was in that restaurant, but he did not rent out the second floor. It was not his party, but he did attend. Perhaps someone was using his name. He is aware there is an incident, but he told me he had nothing to do with it and that the police did not interview him.”

The only thing surprising about all this? The party didn’t occur at the strip joint Exotica, one of Randolph’s haunts of choice while living in our fair city.

There is no way the Maloof's are going to agree to a trade for Randolph...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Oh yeah - Zach Randolph is JUST what the Kings need.

:rolleyes:

If that's the best we can get for Artest, then I'll fully support simply letting him walk.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Curry and Jerome James? Good lord. If it's come to that, I'm going to become a fan of the noble sport of curling.

Curry and Jerome James?

No...

...just no.

Ugh.. Good God no.. I don't want anyone from New York unless it's Lee. He seems to be the only player playing hard in the big apple.

Randolph is overpaid, and Curry is pretty worthless as a center.

lol I bet Petrie asked Isiah if he doesnt want Spencer Hawes and Kevin Martin to be included in the package...

thats one of the most stupid trade offers (officially declared) I've ever seen... Curry and James? Give me a break lol

Miller, Hawes, Reef, Williams, Moore, Curry, James... that would be a lot of big men....:eek:

Wow if this might happen then we would have the fastest most athletic frontcourt in the league....Phoenix and Goldenstate watch out :rolleyes:

Wow if this might happen then we would have the fastest most athletic frontcourt in the league....Phoenix and Goldenstate watch out :rolleyes:
I am with you.. If we get Randolph, or Curry than New York wins. Right now they have a TON of salary invested in players that pretty much suck for a long long time. If they get rid of any of those players than it's a win for them even if they get nothing back in return.

You have to wonder why a team with Garnett, Allen, and Pierce can be so good without much support behind them, and a team with Curry, Randolph, Marbury, Richardson, Crawford, Lee, Robinson, and a couple others can be so HORRIBLE.

You all know whats REAL funny? Randolph, Curry, Crawford, and Jeffries are all signed through 2011 LOL!!! And in 2011 they eat about 45 million :D

People must think that Petrie is a friggin moron. I heard the two idiots on KNBR down in the Bay Area (Fitz and Brooks) say that if the Warriors would take on Artest, that they would gladly offer Patrick O'Bryant and Mickael Petrus :mad:.

What kind of crap is that. Hold on to Artest, Mr. Petrie and let him walk, if these are the only deals you are getting.

Come on guys, Curry and James is pretty good. the point with James is that we save the extra year on KT's contract. Its like trading James for KT but also saving 1 year off the end of the contract... Curry has a long contract but he is big and really can score. If we got curry, I would be happy. His contract is not TERRIBLE either. Randolphs is.

Given that Artest's going to opt-out in the summer anyway, the Kings certainly aren't desperate to get rid of him.

Other teams may not be willing to pay very much for a short-term rental either, but only a team seriously desperate to get rid of a player would be willing to take a Curry + Jerome James package in return.

Come on now, Curry and Randolph are steals! Hawes can learn a lot from those guys.

Who can teach Spencer Hawes how to make millions grabbing 3 rebounds a game like Lazy Curry? And we can surely use his one block per month.

And who can show Hawes how this thing called "passing" is overrated and unnecessary like BlackHole Randolph?

Besides, Artest is just too tame for my taste. I want someone who punches his own teammates, get high behind the wheel, and fire shots at night clubs like Zach Randolph!

People must think that Petrie is a friggin moron. I heard the two idiots on KNBR down in the Bay Area (Fitz and Brooks) say that if the Warriors would take on Artest, that they would gladly offer Patrick O'Bryant and Mickael Petrus :mad:.

What kind of crap is that. Hold on to Artest, Mr. Petrie and let him walk, if these are the only deals you are getting.
I don't know what you're upset at, the deal you mentioned isn't that bad. Ron is going to walk, end of. I'd rather get a big young prospect in return than nothing. Big men develop late, O' Bryant would be worth a shot. It's not like he has a big contract. What do people expect? People way over-rate Ron on this board, and don't take into account the fact that he brings alot of baggage to every team he goes to. It's also possible that he's a one year rental. So why would a team give up more than what you said?

I think the expectations for a Ron trade are just ridiculous.

That being said, I'd rather let Ron walk at the end of the year than take back Curry or Randolph. No thanks.

A

AriesMar27

i would be down for a artest/thoms/reef for zach/rose trade... just to get rid of thomas and reef... since rose and artest would be expiring this year any ways its basically trading thomas/reef for zach... and who wouldnt do that?

Come on guys, Curry and James is pretty good. the point with James is that we save the extra year on KT's contract. Its like trading James for KT but also saving 1 year off the end of the contract... Curry has a long contract but he is big and really can score. If we got curry, I would be happy. His contract is not TERRIBLE either. Randolphs is.
LOL Curry can score.. That's it.. He can't play D, can't rebound (the worst rebounder in the league), and can't block shots. Why play Curry above Miller? Miller is 10x the center that Curry is. And James? HAH! I would rather have KT than James. :rolleyes:

i would be down for a artest/thoms/reef for zach/rose trade... just to get rid of thomas and reef... since rose and artest would be expiring this year any ways its basically trading thomas/reef for zach... and who wouldnt do that?
*raises hand* I wouldn't. Randolph is a ball hog...

Now if he wasn't signed through 2011 I MIGHT take a chance on him, but he makes way too much money for way too long to even think about it.

The problem with the deal you mention is that Randolph is replacing guys that aren't playing right now for the Kings. But are they disruptive? do they do all the alleged stuff that's being done by Randolph? Would we have to play Randolph if we traded for him? Would he be disruptive to our chemistry? Too many question marks with Randolph. I would rather let SAR, and KT expire than taking on a guy like Randolph. At least they aren't causing problems.

Last edited:
LOL Curry can score.. That's it.. He can't play D, can't rebound (the worst rebounder in the league), and can't block shots. Why play Curry above Miller? Miller is 10x the center that Curry is. And James? HAH! I would rather have KT than James. :rolleyes:
James will never play... its just his contract, which will end before KT's. KT doesn't play, at least significantly, either.

If we traded for Curry and James, would they be willing to send James over in that garbage bag he wore in Seattle? For me, that would be the most exciting part of that deal. Najera + a pick + a scrub sounds wonderful in comparison.

James will never play... its just his contract, which will end before KT's. KT doesn't play, at least significantly, either.

Doesn't make a difference because CURRY would be part of that deal (or Randolph). Neither one of them I would want on this team. And James burned a lot of bridges w/ his trash bag fiasco so hellllllll no.